EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » super market

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: super market
sorsor
Member # 7639

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sorsor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if i asked you to think of a food ingredient or another product used in supermarkets and its missing or available in a bad quality, what do u think it is?
Posts: 429 | From: jeddah ,saudi arabia | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Guinness... Branston Pickle and Monster Munch... and Walls Sausages! Oh and pasties... and Wine Gums!

Oh man... I could go all day on this! But it is way better now than it was 15 years back!

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sorsor
Member # 7639

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sorsor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i am with u all day.

--------------------
sorsor_onair@hotmail.com

Posts: 429 | From: jeddah ,saudi arabia | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
brown sauce

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First choice fruits and vegetables suitable for human consumption.. [Mad]
Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heinz that hasn't got a ridiculous price tag on.
Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adelly
Member # 14574

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for adelly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regular tortilla chips for nachos not doritos
Posts: 313 | From: maadi cairo | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntonD1
Member # 16387

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AntonD1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mushy peas.
Posts: 29 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GuyLain pralein seashells
Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dzosser:
First choice fruits and vegetables suitable for human consumption.. [Mad]

I agree! Why does Egyptian watermelon cause diarrhea? (just an example)
Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Real Hot Dogs, not the ones that taste like leather straps [Big Grin]

Genuine Dill Pickles, that are not prohibitively priced, and why do they import the sweet ones?! Who the heck eats sweet dill pickles?

Genuine Deli Meats. Come on already. Jordan makes great pastrami, salami, roast beef, corned beef. Egypt needs to be better than their little neighbors.

Haagen Daz Ice Cream

Noodles and other Asian products that don't cost a fortune. Noodles are dirt cheap everywhere in the world. The equivalent of rice dammit!

Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We got genuine deli meats in Egypt check this out..costs an arm and a leg to live a decent life in this country. [Frown]
Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i see they have Maine lobsters? from the USA...they are the best [Razz]
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anthropos
Member # 9410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anthropos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
is the kilo of tomatoes 10 LE ?

I live in Iceland where we import everything and the kilo is cheaper. How is this even possible?????

Posts: 2184 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sorsor
Member # 7639

Member Rated:
what about spices?

--------------------
sorsor_onair@hotmail.com

Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Dzosser:
We got genuine deli meats in Egypt check this out..costs an arm and a leg to live a decent life in this country. [Frown]

They got everything. Really impressive selection.

The seafood, veal and lamb are exorbitantly priced though, especially for frozen products. The frozen lamb rack at $25 per kilo is really outrageous. It would easily cost 1000+ L.E to have a BBQ with a few friends over.

It's definitely a tease.

Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Soy milk.
Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Dalia*:
Soy milk.

Check Carrefour, its called Vita milk..small bottles plain and chocolate flavor, and red and white cartons, they've also got the French Carrefour product with Vanilla flavor( not bad )and the natural one that tastes horrible. [Frown]
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Dzosser, I remember seeing it there, need to do a shopping trip to Carrefour soon anyway.

There used to be several brands on the market, but now I only see Westsoy, and it's ridiculously expensive.

Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can buy jars of soya milk powder to mix up in Hyper1 - look in the 'health food' section. However, it is typically Egyptian sugar with a hint of soya.
It would be nice to be able to get non-sugared juices etc in the regular shops without having to go on a major expedition!
I'm amazed that the Egyptian kitchen doesn't just contain a few giant sacks of sugar with a handful of flavourings to shake on - tea-flavored sugar, coffee-flavoured sugar, yogurt-flavoured sugar, orange-flavoured sugar, sugar-flavoured sugar LOL

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adelly
Member # 14574

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for adelly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just went on a hunt for decaffeineted coffee and tea. coffee wasnt hard but searched three supermarkets for the tea. found dilmah at ragab.
Posts: 313 | From: maadi cairo | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shanta, I have some powder here, an Egyptian product. But it's full of sugar and other additives, plus I want the fresh product, not the instant stuff.

Maybe I should start making my own; soybeans are easily available here.

Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Actually, I have got a thing for blueberries going on at the moment, and while I found some Dutch ones in Hyper1 packaged in a jar with mainly water and a bit of sugar, was just wondering if you can get fresh ones here?
I used to love blueberries with thick greek yogurt. Yum Yum.

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
SW... We have heard that Beyti milk is 'finished'.

Not sure if the guy in Metro meant they had sold out or if they were stopping selling it or if Beyti are stopping producing!!!

All I know is the Metro in Korba had only 4 bottles on the shelf and where it used to be stocked has been replaced with some ickey crap!

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
I would like to know where I can buy a non soggy / unsalted feta cheese, some nice cottage cheese and some rose flavoured tea.
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have punnets of blueberries at the moment thanks to hubby. Will send some across if you like [Big Grin]
Just had some lovely cooked, breaded halloumi cheese with guacamole in pitta bread. Delicious!

Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Grrr at YAH - LOL was just thinking 'what part of Cairo are you in' and then I remembered.
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Cheekyferret:
I would like to know where I can buy a non soggy / unsalted feta cheese, some nice cottage cheese and some rose flavoured tea.

The blue Domty plastic box (comes in two sizes) is fine, don't drain out the water, its meant to keep it fresh.

Rose flavoured ?? Jasmine maybe. [Confused]

*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a feta labelled "low salt" available at Metro's cheese counter; I like the taste since it's still salty but not too much, and the consistency is nice and creamy – not too soft but not too crumbly either.

I like baramily too, nice if mixed with yoghurt and some garlic and olive oil.

Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Ew at the thought of feta sitting in water [Frown] That is the opposite of what I am looking for. Dalia, I will look out for the feta you mentioned.

Twinings have a rose tea called rose pouchong and it is yummy, I cannot find that here and I do miss that. I am very much a cuppa tea girl.

Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
quote:

Probably not the greatest cottage cheese in the world, but some markets have it. They call it "qur'ayish". Abu Zakri on road 9 used to always stock it.
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
You lot should go into advertising lol...

If it is not the best cheese I will skip it! Thanks though.

Here's one that would be helpful, where can I find proper naan breads, as in pretty much identical to what the restaurants sell? Not some replicated second best crap [Big Grin]

Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
quote:
You lot should go into advertising lol...

If it is not the best cheese I will skip it! Thanks though.

Here's one that would be helpful, where can I find proper naan breads, as in pretty much identical to what the restaurants sell? Not some replicated second best crap [Big Grin]

Ingredients [Big Grin]

4 cups White Flour (Maida)
1/2 tsp Baking powder
1 tsp Salt
1/2 cup Milk
1 tbsp Sugar
1 Egg
4 tbsp Oil
1 tsp Nigella seeds (Kalunji)

How To Make Naan:

* Sift the flour, salt and baking powder into a bowl and make a well in the middle.

* Mix the sugar, milk, eggs 2tbsp of oil in a bowl.

* Pour this into the center of the flour and knead adding water if necessary to form soft dough.

* Add the remaining oil, knead again, then cover with damp cloth and allow the dough to stand for 15 minutes. Knead the dough again and cover and leave for 2-3 hours.

* About half an before the naan are required, turn on the oven to maximum heat.

* Divide the dough into 8 balls and allow rest for 3-4 minutes.

* Sprinkle a baking sheet with nigella seeds and put it in the oven to heat while the dough is resting.

* Shape each ball of dough with the palms to make an oval shape.

* Bake the indian bread naan until puffed up and golden brown. Serve hot.

I'm just kidding Cheeky, [Big Grin] I know you were talking about the packaged pre-made ones.

*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
I use a similar recipe. [Smile] I agree that the best solution would simply be to make your own, it's easy.
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
I have never baked in my life and have no intention of starting! [Big Grin]

I will just have to keep going to the local curry house... darn it [Wink]

Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Petrou, off Wadi el Nil, just behind Bon Apetit in Mohandessin has everything you can think of, his Barameeli white cheese is exquisite and literaly anything he has is of best choice..he's known to cater only for connoisseurs [Roll Eyes]
anthropos
Member # 9410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anthropos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought naan bread always had garam masala spice in it.
Posts: 2184 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by anthropos:
I thought naan bread always had garam masala spice in it.

nope [Razz]
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
I have garam masala spice here but I use that when I am making a curry.

My favourite naans are keema and peshwari [Smile] Man I crave this stuff! Not only do supermarkets lack decent food but even the restaurants don't cater to the max what I can get in my town. In the UK I live in the 'balti belt' and we are reknown for having the best Indian restaurants outside of India!!!

The cheese talk reminds me to share a great cheese I found. in the Metro over the counter they sell a jalapeno cheese which is just lush and not expensive at all.

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
naan bread is sold in my super market , fresh and warm and so good...buy it all the time [Razz]
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Chef Mick:
naan bread is sold in my super market , fresh and warm and so good...buy it all the time [Razz]

Don't make me open a can of whoop ass on you lady!!

I will, you know I will.

Anyway eff you, I am in Egypt muhahahahaha [Wink]

Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Naan is sold in my curry house. 1 pc is .17 US cents, 2 Naan bread with the works (dhal + curry sauce) is .40 US cents, fresh out the oven. [Razz]

There are several variations but plain out the oven with some curry tastes best. That with a sweet tea as cheeky would say ... nom nom nom [Big Grin]

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Chef Mick:

Don't make me open a can of whoop ass on you lady!!

I will, you know I will.

Anyway eff you, I am in Egypt muhahahahaha [Wink]

ill bring ya some when i come back [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Here's my list of what Egyptian supermarkets have that is very good/inexpensive that other countries don't have or is too expensive.

Pisterma

Roumi Cheese

Baby Mangoes ( those tiny ones, I haven't seen them anywhere else, even in Egypt they are rare)

Goat (Gedee). It is so cheap in Egypt and so damn expensive elsewhere. I don't know what issues most Egyptian have with goats, but their fat content is the equivalent of chicken, which makes them a the ideal red meat to eat.

Koshari

Okra

Tangerines

Mo'men's Chicken Kiev ha!ha! it's so sinful, it should be illegal

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Exiiled:

Goat (Gedee). It is so cheap in Egypt and so damn expensive elsewhere. I don't know what issues most Egyptian have with goats, but their fat content is the equivalent of chicken, which makes them a the ideal red meat to eat.

Lol, I can only imagine a big shiver running down Dalia's spine while reading this part of your post. [Big Grin]

Honestly I have never tried goat meat myself. I think here in Germany it's not often consumed either.

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Miss_Tigerlily:

Lol, I can only imagine a big shiver running down Dalia's spine while reading this part of your post. [Big Grin]

Why? How is eating goat different from eating cow, sheep, chicken, pork, whatever … ?

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com