EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Rent prices in Cairo! Ridiculously high!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Rent prices in Cairo! Ridiculously high!
anthropos
Member # 9410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anthropos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just looking through Craigslist and am amazed at the prizes some people are asking for rented apartments.
Like this one:
http://cairo.craigslist.org/apa/2023450635.html

4000 dollars!?!?!

Looks OK but nothing special, are there really people paying this much for an apartment like that?

Posts: 2184 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mynameisthis
Member # 17234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mynameisthis         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why did you pick this one? Most of the rest are much cheaper.
Posts: 1044 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That apartment might be very huge, such as 500m and maybe even a duplex. It could also be in one of the newer buildings and the owner mentioned 2 car garage. The yard could also be big, maybe 300m+ and that's big for Cairo.

It's not far fetched to see something like that easily go for $2500-$3000. Rent for those types of apartments are usually paid by corporations for executives and families. You might think it's a lot but there are corporations that pay international school tuition for children, which can cost as much as $100,000 a year for 3 kids.

The owner feels there is a market for it and he is obviously targeting western executives or wealthy Arabs. And feels that price is warranted but like everything else in Egypt, negotiation is always welcomed.

Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs Hassan
Member # 15069

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mrs Hassan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Area that I live in Al rehab, Prices can start from 1700EGP per month for a unfurnished 2 bed apart, going up to 9/10,000k for monthly villa rent and more. Depends what your looking for.

--------------------
MRS HASSAN

Posts: 129 | From: In the land of plenty | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anthropos, the apartments being advertised on Craigslist are usually the more expensive ones, there are many cheaper ones available if you contact a simsar or take the time to walk the streets and talk to bauwabs.

quote:
Originally posted by Exiiled:

It's not far fetched to see something like that easily go for $2500-$3000. Rent for those types of apartments are usually paid by corporations for executives and families.

Exactly; these apartments are being rented out simply because there are corporations paying for them, not because they are actually worth it.

I lived in one of those places for some time, my employer had rented it as a guest apartment for about $2500. The place was nice and spacious and the bathrooms, kitchen and furniture of good quality. However, it definitely was not worth that amount of money.

Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anthropos
Member # 9410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anthropos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes most of the other apartments are cheaper but most of them look really squalid.
Obviously an 4thousand dollar apartment should have gold faucet in my opinion.

For Egyptian people, what is the normal price. 1500 - 2000 LE ? Of course I mean normal apartments here.

Posts: 2184 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by anthropos:

For Egyptian people, what is the normal price. 1500 - 2000 LE ? Of course I mean normal apartments here.

The price doesn't necessarily depend on your nationality, but on the condition of the apartment, the area, the landlord, your negotiation skills etc. Also, there can be huge differences among apartments which are being rented for the same price.
Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my area habitable and clean (fully furnishesd) apartments start off at around 2k for all folk. You can go cheaper but you tend to share with cockroaches and chickens then.
Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anthropos
Member # 9410

Once I went to have a look at an apartment in Cairo, close to Garden City. The bowab opened the door, all was black, we walked in a few steps, he turned on the light and I literally so dozens of cockroaches scurry away. Yuck. I will never forget that, I naturally stepped out of that apartment immediately.
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stepped out, I would have ran away screaming like a girl!!!

I know a girl who viewed a place that had a mouldy fish in the fridge with maggots on!!!

No point a flat being lovely if it has its own eco system livibg inside

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cheekyferret:

No point a flat being lovely if it has its own eco system livibg inside

Thanks for the laugh [Big Grin]

Even in our area in Giza, apartments aren't too cheap. I mean... there are cheaper places than where we live but I doubt anyone would live in them because of their lovely finishing or views. And I'm sure they also come with their own eco-system! [Big Grin]

Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com