EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Hospital - who should you tip?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hospital - who should you tip?
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're a patient, who should you tip and how much?

Ancillary staff - I guess probably
Nurses?
Anyone else?
Do you tip daily or at the end of the stay?

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Cake Is a Lie
Member # 18320

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Cake Is a Lie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No one.

The only time we do, is when someone is on a hospital bed we tip the Nurse/Hakeema who prepares the bed and positions the patient, ..etc. You can tell when the nurse lingers around for quiet sometime and keeps repeatedly organizing the already organized bed.

Another time -brace yourselves for this one- is after a surgery, male-nurses (I don't know the technical term -we call them Tamargeya) come out and ask you if you want the removed body part (Tonsils, even Nasal septum pieces, ..etc); If you do want them you HAVE TO tip.

Of course these things are very subjective, and they go as far as tipping the elevator-man (for pressing the button).

--------------------
This user has Social Anxiety Disorder, kindly associate with him in an asocial manner.

Posts: 9 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shanta,

honestly I would tip everyone well. It's your health and life they are looking after while you are in the hospital in Egypt.

Now in Germany you don't tip hospital staff but I did bring a flower bouquet to my doc after recovering from my painful tonsillectomy. He did an outstanding job, took time for me before and after the op, I wasn't just a 'number' for him and that was good to know. [Smile]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs Hassan
Member # 15069

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mrs Hassan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tip the nurses who are attending to you in your room only and do this when you are about to leave.Otherwise they will expect tips everytime they come in.
As for the surgeon and team, no dont tip, wait till you pay the full bill and at your final consultation after the surgery, give a gift, chocolates etc.
Remember these people already earn alot would have been educated or done an intership abroad.

--------------------
MRS HASSAN

Posts: 129 | From: In the land of plenty | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about that fat woman with a mop who'd barge into the room to empty the bin every half hour or so ?? [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dubai Girl
Member # 15488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dubai Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dzosser:
What about that fat woman with a mop who'd barge into the room to empty the bin every half hour or so ?? [Roll Eyes]

When I was considering giving birth in a hospital in Egypt I remember being told about the cleaners coming in asking for tips...well I don't think they ask..it's more like "Af Mabrouk hint hint" Or coming in every 30 minutes as you said...it put me off. I know these people are poor but when you've just squeezed out a four kilo baby the last thing you want is to be looking for your purse to give people money [Wink]
Posts: 500 | From: United Arab Emirates | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband took care of the tipping when I was in hospital. He gave little amounts all the time to cleaners, people bringing food and drink, etc. The nurses he tipped as we left. He did not tip the surgeon as he reckoned he had made enough out of us lol
Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com