EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » SHARK ATTACKS!!!! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: SHARK ATTACKS!!!!
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CAIRO: A shark has maimed two Russian swimmers near the Sharm el-Sheikh Red Sea resort, reports from the area said on Wednesday afternoon. Officials said they are now looking for the white tip shark in an effort to kill it.

http://bikyamasr.com/wordpress/?p=22241

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs Hassan
Member # 15069

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Mrs Hassan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Miss_Tigerlily:
CAIRO: A shark has maimed two Russian swimmers near the Sharm el-Sheikh Red Sea resort, reports from the area said on Wednesday afternoon. Officials said they are now looking for the white tip shark in an effort to kill it.

http://bikyamasr.com/wordpress/?p=22241

Thats right, 4 people in total, all russian, hope they are all ok! An egyption tried to blow bubbles in the sharks face to scare it away, I wonder if that works on the sharks on the streets in Sharm
Posts: 129 | From: In the land of plenty | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i dont think they should kill it.the swimmer went into the sharks domain. they knew the risk. there are always risks in life and we has humans destroy every thing that is good.what a shame.

--------------------
your ass is so tight when you fart only a dog can hear it.when you queef only a cat can hear that one.

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No the sharks are coming closer to the beaches because for hunting; they are hungry.

Swimmers have now been warned to stay completely out of the water.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/red-sea-shark-alert-after-swimmers-are-savaged-2148508.html

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great, now TL will be glad the Russians are being eaten up, she never did like them anyway. [Confused]
Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dzosser:
Great, now TL will be glad the Russians are being eaten up, she never did like them anyway. [Confused]

What a complete dick you are, Dzosser. I don't like how too many of them behave while on vacation in Egypt. It does NOT mean I wish death upon them. I think this is a very dangerous situation right now and anybody could fall victim. A shark is not interested in nationalities, skin color, religious affiliation whatsorever.

Really your personal attacks are getting more and more stupid. If you have nothing good to say then don't say nothing at all. Grow up, woman.

tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

What a complete dick you are, Dzosser. I don't like how too many of them behave while on vacation in Egypt. It does NOT mean I wish death upon them. I think this is a very dangerous situation right now and anybody could fall victim. A shark is not interested in nationalities, skin color, religious affiliation whatsorever.

Really your personal attacks are getting more and more stupid. If you have nothing good to say then don't say nothing at all. Grow up, woman.

calm down sweety he was jokin.. i seen the humor in it.. i guess i must be morbib,, lolol

--------------------
your ass is so tight when you fart only a dog can hear it.when you queef only a cat can hear that one.

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for metinoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Actually Tigerweed is of Russian descent from Eastern Germany.

Same type as the guy who stabbed the Egyptian woman in the german courts.

Posts: 2280 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by metinoot:

Please let me know when you a publish my biography. I would like to get a free copy of it if it doesn't mean too much trouble for you. Many thanks in advance. You can send it to Camp LeJeune. [Big Grin]
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sharks suspected in Egypt tourist attacks nabbed

Also picture of one of the sharks here:
http://www.thestar.com/news/world/article/900331--shark-suspected-in-egypt-tourist-attacks-nabbed

Hopefully...

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Dead sheep may have sparked Egypt shark maulings, says governor

CAIRO: A shark that attacked swimmers off an Egyptian resort might have become frenzied after a transport ship dumped dead sheep in the sea, South Sinai's governor said on Thursday, adding experts believe they have caught the responsible fish.

http://www.thedailynewsegypt.com/environment/dead-sheep-may-have-sparked-egypt-shark-maulings-says-governor.html

Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Aww..TL is upset... [Frown] Maybe you should come dive in Ras Muhammad, Sharks would love some Sauerbraten on their menu..for a change. [Razz]
Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about some fried Schweineschnitzel for dinner, Dzosser - IF you dare??? Oink oink.....

And it ain't over yet!!!!!!

Egypt killed wrong sharks after diver attacks:NGO

CAIRO (Reuters) - Conservation workers in Egypt caught and killed the wrong sharks after attacks on four foreign divers at a Red Sea resort, and the shark responsible for the attacks is still at large, a marine NGO said.

http://af.reuters.com/article/topNews/idAFJOE6B309N20101204

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If they are throwing dead sheep in then they will be attracting sharks and more will come if they sense food swimming about for free. Puts a bit of a damper on the diving business for a bit though, lets hope they have more sense than the Amity governor that refused to close the beaches in Jaws.

LOVE that film but the real thing is something else.

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

Oh I'm sure the biography of Anastasia could incorporate a court stabbing too, you could do some nice twist on that guy being her brother or something, or her long lost father the king of Russia in exile in Germany.

Can't wait to read it [Big Grin]

You could have hobbits in it too, Yayyyy!! [Eek!] [Big Grin]

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:
quote:
quote:

Oh I'm sure the biography of Anastasia could incorporate a court stabbing too, you could do some nice twist on that guy being her brother or something, or her long lost father the king of Russia in exile in Germany.

Can't wait to read it [Big Grin]

You could have hobbits in it too, Yayyyy!! [Eek!] [Big Grin]

Anastasia hahahaha hahahaha write me on facebook so i can send u a message hurry hun... u will die laughing
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
on another note so if the russians had of drowned would they have gotten equally mad and drained the red sea?

--------------------

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
German tourist killed by shark near Sharm al-Sheikh

Security officials on Sunday said a shark attacked and killed an elderly German tourist at a Red Sea resort near Sharm al-Sheikh, just a few days after a shark attacked and maimed three Russians and a Ukrainian tourist.

The officials added that the 70-year-old German died immediately after her arm was cut off by the shark while she swam at Gharqana, a location near the resort.

After last week's attack, authorities ordered people to stay out of the waters around the town.

Egyptian Environment Ministry on Thursday said two sharks suspected of mauling the tourists were caught by authorities.

http://www.almasryalyoum.com/en/news/german-tourist-killed-shark-near-sharm-al-sheikh

These news must make Dzosser and marydot extremely happy now.... sorry that it wasn't me. [Confused]

marydot
Member # 15932

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for marydot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
German tourist killed by shark near Sharm al-Sheikh

Security officials on Sunday said a shark attacked and killed an elderly German tourist at a Red Sea resort near Sharm al-Sheikh, just a few days after a shark attacked and maimed three Russians and a Ukrainian tourist.

The officials added that the 70-year-old German died immediately after her arm was cut off by the shark while she swam at Gharqana, a location near the resort.

After last week's attack, authorities ordered people to stay out of the waters around the town.

Egyptian Environment Ministry on Thursday said two sharks suspected of mauling the tourists were caught by authorities.

http://www.almasryalyoum.com/en/news/german-tourist-killed-shark-near-sharm-al-sheikh

These news must make Dzosser and marydot extremely happy now.... sorry that it wasn't me. [Confused]

People were warned not to go into the waters, even if the waters were re opened and claimed safe.

A warning means take caution, but some people never listen..

Tigerlilly
Listen, are you always this stupid or are you just making a special effort today

Posts: 1048 | From: If you are given a blessing you may be envied | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So now they are going out to kill more sharks (who happen to be doing what sharks do) becasue of stupid people!

I hate to see animals in the wild being punished because of human ignorance.

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Cheekyferret:
So now they are going out to kill more sharks (who happen to be doing what sharks do) becasue of stupid people!

I hate to see animals in the wild being punished because of human ignorance.

my point exactly
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by marydot:

Tigerlilly
Listen, are you always this stupid or are you just making a special effort today

Oh I get it........ you suffer from selective memory losss among other things.

Just last month you called all Germans 'PIGS' and you hoped I'd choke on my breakfast.

You want links for that?

No need to deny these statements among other horrendous things you posted on here and which provide a great insight into your evil and tortured soul.

You continue to harrass me on this forum.

You have no other business here than mind me and my life. Why?

It can't be your love for Egypt because you've never been there and you hate this place.

Did the two Egyptians - which screwed you in the ass before - made you an expert of the country??? [Razz]

Get a grip, this forum is not the REAL life you delusional wanna-be Muslima.

Unload your hate and filth you feel for people somewhere else.

I can fully understand why your own family elected not to know you anymore.

Now go and roll around on your carpet.

You will never make it to Jannah if you behave like this!!!!!!

[Roll Eyes]

Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Amazing how fast that response about adding German specialities to the shark menu. [Eek!]

Too bad they got the wrong person though..Dang [Mad]

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Amazing how fast that response about adding German specialities to the shark menu. [Eek!]

Dzosser [Eek!] play nice [Wink]
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
[Razz]
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Just last month you called all Germans 'PIGS'

Oh, come on – we all know that you are what you eat, and since Germans eat pigs they must behave like pigs, mush kidda? [Razz]

OT … nice text regarding pigs, written by a German Muslim:

Porkophobia – A closer look at our culture of disgust

Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwwvv
Member # 18359

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for vwwvv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'The water was churning like I was in a washing machine': Briton's horror as she sees German tourist eaten by shark off beach they said was SAFE

The woman died within minutes of the attack at Sharm el-Sheikh, despite claims by officials that the waters were safe to swim in last week in a tragedy that mirrors the plot of the film Jaws. The attack came after four other holidaymakers suffered horrific injuries in similar incidents at the popular Egyptian resort.

*Just days earlier officials claimed they had caught two deadly predators
*Four holidaymakers injured in shark attacks last week
*Foreign Office warns Britons to avoid cheap dive tour operators
*Thomson and First Choice warn holidaymakers to stay out of the water
*Killer shark may have been attracted to waters by dead cattle and sheep thrown overboard before Islamic feast of Eid al-Adha
*But Egyptian tourism minister insists diving will continue because 'sharks will not attack divers'

Pics

Posts: 1365 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FO warns Britons to avoid cheap dive tour operators lmao... it'll take more than sharks to stop some women from jetting off to meet the men of their dreams.

Good ole Egyptian tourist minister though [Wink] good to know he is as dippy as the rest of folk. At least he is just in denial as opposed to just off out killing any ole shark to feed the media and it's sheep.

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Expensive dive tours could cost an arm and a leg.. [Big Grin]
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by vwwvv:

*But Egyptian tourism minister insists diving will continue because 'sharks will not attack divers'

Yeah right, a shark doesn't mind if it's food is wrapped in neoprene or not.
marydot
Member # 15932

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for marydot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tigerlilly please stick to the topic, no body here is that bothered about what you think about me!!!

And I can say neither I am.. so please feel free to waste your time.

People have read your comments a thousand times and are beginning to get fed up with it!!!

I'm starting to feel very sorry for you and your comments and other people will here may agree with me.....

You still seem to believe that im living the same life as my posts since long ago...ROFLMAO!!!

You have nothing to go on, as I dont post any personal info on here.. I think you should be getting a grip lady..ROFLMAO.

You are beginning to sound very foolish.

--------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/marydotapple

Posts: 1048 | From: If you are given a blessing you may be envied | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Expensive dive tours could cost an arm and a leg.. [Big Grin]

Dzosser ...what did i say [Big Grin] [Wink]
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
hell if ya aint gettin accosted by tour guides ur gettin eattin by sharks.. **** makes a woman not wanna go to egypt right?

--------------------

marydot
Member # 15932

Member Rated:
Just had to paste this :

Sharks are apex predators in their environment,[21] and thus have little fear of any creature they cross paths with. Like most sophisticated hunters, they are curious when they encounter something unusual in their territories. Lacking any limbs with sensitive digits such as hands or feet, the only way they can explore an object or organism is to bite it; these bites are known as exploratory bites.[22] Generally, shark bites are exploratory, and the animal will swim away after one bite.[22] For example, exploratory bites on surfers are thought to be caused by the shark mistaking the surfer for the shape of prey.[23] Nonetheless, a single bite can grievously injure a human if the animal involved is a powerful predator like a great white or tiger shark.[24]

Despite a few rare exceptions,[25] [26] it has been concluded that feeding is not a reason sharks attack humans; as stated on Howstuffworks.com, "Humans are not on the menu. In fact, humans don't provide enough high-fat meat for sharks, which need a lot of energy to power their large, muscular bodies".[23]

Sharks normally make one swift attack and then retreat to wait for the victim to die or exhaust itself before returning to feed. This protects the shark from injury from a wounded and aggressive target; however, it also allows humans time to get out of the water and survive.[27] Shark attacks may also occur due to territorial reasons or as dominance over another shark species, resulting in an attack.[28]

Sharks are equipped with sensory organs called the Ampullae of Lorenzini that detect the electricity generated by muscle movement;[29] another theory is that the shark's electrical receptors, which pick up movement, pick up the wounded signals of fish from someone who is fishing or spearfishing, and thus attack the person by mistake.[28]

George Burgess, director of the International Shark Attack File, said the following regarding why people are attacked: "Attacks are basically an odds game based on how many hours you are in the water

--------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/marydotapple

Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People dive in Sharm because they want the thrill of diving with the big, pelagic species you just don't see further up the gulf. It's a thrill because there's an element of danger - mostly a teenie tiny one, but sometimes not. Any wild animal with massive sharp teeth poses a risk, no? They may not often come in so close to shore, but they're there all the time, further out. A friend of mine did her training in Sharm and said she saw sharks every other dive. She found swimming with them fantastic. Personally I think she needs her head tested.

I do think you're safer as a diver, save for entering and exiting. You do at least stand a chance of seeing them coming - whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is up for debate. But swimming on the surface you're pretty much a sitting duck. I do think it's terrible for an old lady to die in such a horrendous way. But I can't imagine what anyone was thinking. Be damned I'd have blindly followed what the authorities were saying without hard proof they'd caught the right 'one'. The pressure on them to reopen the beach must have been tremendous - it's a whole community's livelihoods at stake. Be damned I'd have gone in there anyway, because swimming with sharks, even eensie weensie friendly ones, just aint my thang.

The clip that I saw on the news was pretty pathetic - it didn't even look like a white tip - more like a maco to me.

I feel sorry for the victims, but at the end of the day, they're were taking a risk. Whether they did their homework and knew exactly what they were paddling along with, or not. Hell, every time you step into the ocean you're taking a risk, whatever sea you're in. I live in a seaside community and we lose probably a dozen divers a year to strong currents and poor visibility. I feel sorry for the people who depend on the (legitimate [Wink] ) income from tourists for their bread and butter. But at the same time is it really right to start yanking out sharks willy nilly and slicing and dicing? It's nature's playground, not man's. Maybe nature's just taking it back.

It's pretty rare for one shark to make repeated attacks on humans. I'd like to think that in the real world there aren't really sharks out there with personal vendettas against humans (like in Jaws 3 - terrible film). But then the alternative is even scarier - that something's going on with sea temperatures or food shortages, bringing them in to feed. Hopefully they do get the experts in, but they'll probably scratch their heads, um and ah then decide nothing. They'll open the waters again, then things will go quiet til the next incident a year or two from now.

I'll be diving again next month. Will I be diving in Sharm? Not on your nelly. For a start you have all the Russian divers throwing chump in the water to lure these suckers in for the ultimate "thrill", and generally screwing with the ecology. I dive where there are allegedly no sharks, but I'm always on the lookout (Jaws was my favourite film too Ayisha [Smile] ). But if anything did go wrong I wouldn't be blaming the authorities or the sharks or the currents or my equipment. I'd be blaming me because it's a risk I chose to take in pursuit of a sport I love.

Posts: 1678 | From: New Egypt Forum - http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:
People were warned not to go into the waters, even if the waters were re opened and claimed safe.

Pathetic read. You know it all, don't you???

What if perhaps this 70 year old German woman was not well-informed, neither by the hotel staff (intentionally or unintentionally) nor by the iternet.

My mom doesn't know how to use a computer and she is only two years older!!!!!!

Add to it I doubt that she follows Egyptian news like me.

You have absolutely no clue of what is going on.

The beaches were closed after the the first attacks and then shortly afterwards reopened because Egyptians had caught the culprits - or at least that's what they thought.

"Egyptian Tourism Ministry decided on Saturday to reopen Sharm al-Sheikh beaches after divers from the Chamber of Diving and Water Sports (CDWS) and the Environment Ministry combed seven spots in the sea following a shark attack that left three tourists injured."
(Sat, 04/12/2010)

http://www.almasryalyoum.com/en/news/sharm-al-sheikh-beaches-reopened-tourists

As with any business you don't want your customers scared, in this case the government as the hotel management failed to protect its guests properly. It's business which needs to roll on.

But as usual you are too quickly jumping to conclusions and doing finger-pointing without knowing all the facts - and honestly knowing what kind of person you are on here I wouldn't have expected anything else.

And I will repeat this again, you continue to harrass me on ES, you have no interest at all in Egypt, you have nothing to give to this forum.

You only post on here because all the Islam orientated forums are well moderated and mannered and wouldn't accept your vile and delusional behavior for a second.

Hence you even lack the empathy to feel for others like this elderly woman who was just killed by a shark. You blame her but it wasn't her fault.

WHAT A MEAN AND LONELY WOMAN YOU ARE.

[Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]

My condolences go out to the victim's family. I am sure she had a husband, children and grandchildren. I am not sure where she hailed from exactly but she did live in Southern Germany.

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:

You see that's the difference between you, marydot and me. I can't hate people enough to wish death upon them.

Unlike you I don't follow your threads and make some stupid comments. Hence you even had to throw in something nasty on my adopted children's topic.

If bullying people online makes you feel better about your own unhappy life then so be it. You can't teach an old dog new tricks.

This forum attracts some really strange characters. One just have to realize WHO that is..... and it's clear now.

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Tourists wary after Red Sea shark attacks

Sharm el-Sheikh--Beaches were almost deserted at Egypt's luxury Red Sea resort of Sharm el-Sheikh on Monday after a shark ripped apart a German woman as horrified holidaymakers looked on just days after three other women swimmers were also mauled.

Only a smattering of sunbathers along the beach suspiciously eyed the blue waters where Sunday's frenzied attack happened a mere stone's throw from the shore.

The day before the deadly incident, the mayor of Sharm el-Sheikh had declared the beach safe after three tourists were attacked by the large predators over the previous week.

Oxana Turenko, a Russian holidaymaker, told AFP she had been sunbathing on Sunday when she heard screams.

She ran to a small promontory overlooking the exclusive stretch of beach reserved for hotel guests who pay a premium to avoid the crowds.

"I saw a big fish, maybe two or three metres" long, Turenko said, pointing to the turquoise waters off a long jetty. "Her arms were in the air."

Lifeguards and tourists rushed to the shoreline, but it was too late for the 70-year-old German woman, whose body lay motionless in the water as it floated towards the jetty amid a growing cloud of blood.

"They wrapped her in a black cover," Turenko said.

Another witness, Danish drama student Julie Lund, was on a dive boat about 300 meters off the jetty when the shark broached to attack the hapless tourist. Lund's own boyfriend was still below the surface at the time.

"I heard 'Shark attack!'," she said. "The coast guards were driving in boats, very fast, to warn people. Red flags went up along the beach."

Twenty-four hours later, the beach is now being patrolled by wary lifeguards tasked with enforcing a swimming ban.

Some sunbathers insisted on just dipping their toes into the water as they watched a ship stacked with surveillance equipment edging along the coastline, with three smaller boats in tow.

Mohammed Salem, director of South Sinai Conservation, said from aboard one of the boats that conservation experts were not taking any risks this time.

The surveillance ship had been diverted from working for the electricity ministry, which had rented it for an exploratory project to run electric cables to Saudi Arabia, and it was now searching the depths for the killer shark.

After the first attacks on Tuesday and Wednesday, in which three Russian tourists were bitten, authorities said they captured two sharks, an oceanic whitetip and a mako shark, that they believed were responsible for the attacks.

Environment Minister Magid George said that the problem had been solved, and ordered that an extra month's pay be given to the men who caught the sharks.

The beaches were then reopened, despite a warning from a local marine NGO that the killer shark could still be at large.

South Sinai Governor Mohammed Shosha insists that at least one of the sharks captured on Friday was the culprit in last week's attacks.

"We did catch the sharks. There is another shark," he said on Monday.

Authorities are keen to restore normality to the thriving and popular resort, one of the pillars of the vital Egyptian tourism industry, which accounts for about 12 percent of the country's jobs.

In the past, the resort bounced back quickly from bombings that have killed scores of tourists and Egyptians over the past decade. The government says the Islamist militants behind those attacks were arrested.

Locating the culprit behind Sunday's mauling may prove more difficult. The authorities cannot simply round up thousands of sharks and force confessions, as rights group allege they did with suspects in the Sinai bomb attacks.

Attacks by sharks on humans are also rare, and their motivation is not well understood. One US-based shark expert who spoke to AFP called the current search "a crapshoot."

Holidaymakers who witnessed Sunday's attack say they will not be taking any more chances.

"It's unpredictable, isn't it?" said a British tourist. "You don't know what a wild animal will do. Why should you feel safe?"

http://www.almasryalyoum.com/en/news/tourists-wary-after-red-sea-shark-attacks

If someone has to do finger pointing then at least do it at the right folks.

Sad, very sad incident.

young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Egypt refuses to rule out Mossad plot link to deadly shark attacks

Published Date: 07 December 2010
By Mohamed Zaki
Shark attacks on tourists in the Red Sea have triggered a flurry of speculation as to what could have caused them, with suggestions ranging from overfishing to an Israeli plot to harm Egyptian tourism.
The body of a 70-year-old German woman washed up on the shore at Egypt's Sharm el-Sheikh on the Red Sea after an attack on Sunday. Three Russians and a Ukrainian were injured in shark attacks last week.

The government has invited international experts to help locate the killer shark."

Some said sharks had been drawn to shallow waters after cattle being shipped in for last month's Islamic feast of Eid al-Adha had died and were thrown overboard. Others suggested it could have been part of a secret plot by Israel's Mossad intelligence agency.

"What is being said about the Mossad throwing the deadly shark (in the sea] to hit tourism in Egypt is not out of the question, but it needs time to confirm," South Sinai governor Mohamed Abdel Fadil Shousha said.

http://news.scotsman.com/world/Egypt-refuses-to-rule-out.6651877.jp

Whatever next [Confused]

Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

Pathetic read. You know it all, don't you???

What if perhaps this 70 year old German woman was not well-informed, neither by the hotel staff (intentionally or unintentionally) nor by the iternet.

My mom doesn't know how to use a computer and she is only two years older!!!!!!

Add to it I doubt that she follows Egyptian news like me.

You have absolutely no clue of what is going on.

The beaches were closed after the the first attacks and then shortly afterwards reopened because Egyptians had caught the culprits - or at least that's what they thought.

"Egyptian Tourism Ministry decided on Saturday to reopen Sharm al-Sheikh beaches after divers from the Chamber of Diving and Water Sports (CDWS) and the Environment Ministry combed seven spots in the sea following a shark attack that left three tourists injured."
(Sat, 04/12/2010)

http://www.almasryalyoum.com/en/news/sharm-al-sheikh-beaches-reopened-tourists

As with any business you don't want your customers scared, in this case the government as the hotel management failed to protect its guests properly. It's business which needs to roll on.

But as usual you are too quickly jumping to conclusions and doing finger-pointing without knowing all the facts - and honestly knowing what kind of person you are on here I wouldn't have expected anything else.

And I will repeat this again, you continue to harrass me on ES, you have no interest at all in Egypt, you have nothing to give to this forum.

You only post on here because all the Islam orientated forums are well moderated and mannered and wouldn't accept your vile and delusional behavior for a second.

Hence you even lack the empathy to feel for others like this elderly woman who was just killed by a shark. You blame her but it wasn't her fault.

WHAT A MEAN AND LONELY WOMAN YOU ARE.

[Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]

My condolences go out to the victim's family. I am sure she had a husband, children and grandchildren. I am not sure where she hailed from exactly but she did live in Southern Germany.

This is the problem with the whole "where there's blame, there's a claim" culture. Nobody seems to take responsibility for their own safety/happiness/wellbeing anymore. Nobody thinks for themselves. He said it was safe for me to climb in with the bears, so if anything goes wrong, it's all his fault.

There is a risk every time you step into the sea, even if you're just paddling. Biters, stingers, currents, cramps - it isn't just a big swimming pool, it's the ocean, and you have to respect it and know there's an element of risk associated with it. I'm sure this lady did.

Apparently some guy was giving 100% guarantees that the sharks wouldn't come in to shore again. How can anyone give a guarantee like that short of walling off that part of the ocean? If you blindly believe that and go trotting off on the basis of it, you're a bigger fool than he is. Nobody would even give a guarantee like that here - it's incredibly rare, but it has been known.

Posts: 1678 | From: New Egypt Forum - http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
The question is: Did this lady even know about the recent shark attacks in Sharm??? How long has she been already on vacation?

I remember whenever I was on holidays I never paid attention what's going on in this world - most of all not what locals in the region are up to. I am on holidayyyyyy!!!

German news channels (some of them are available or not at certain hotels, it depends) did not report about the shark attacks on Russians until one of their own nationals fell victim to it.

For god's sake this lady was 70, most likely didn't even speak English (forget about any Arabic at that point) and relied solely on the hotel management for any warnings.

I truly doubt that many tourists were aware of what was going on - and at this point still is.

Btw, these were not the first shark attacks happening close to Egyptian beaches. Incidents happening but very rarely.

Thanks god I won't be in Sharm before next June. I am more of a pool person anyway.

Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
Ok, good point. I couldn't understand people getting in there at all knowing what had happened days earlier, but I guess there is the possibility she might not have. Plenty of tourists from blighty have just come back though and they seemed pretty well informed but, again, blindly relyiing on the "he said it was safe so I thought what the heck". He might say it was safe but it's up to you whether you believe him. And if he's saying it's 100% safe, is he doing it with a megaphone 100 metres out, or from the safety of the cosy hotel?
Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,358561,00.html

Only in Dudley [Big Grin]

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
The Daily Mail is covering the story now too:

Stay out of the water! Warning to British tourists after shark attack horror

British holiday firms have cancelled diving and other water sports around the resort of Sharm el-Sheikh after a horrific series of shark attacks, which killed one and left others seriously injured.

The Foreign Office also issued a safety warning for British holidaymakers.

But even though the killer shark is almost certainly still at large, Egyptian officials are due to allow some scuba diving to resume from today, and the country’s tourism minister insisted that divers were ‘100 per cent secure’. [Confused]

Holidaymakers have questioned whether the assurances are based on fact, or simply the authorities’ desperation to prop up peak season tourism.

A British couple who saw the fatal attack on a 70-year-old woman on Saturday said they were assured the water was safe only moments before the shark struck.

Ellen Barnes, 31, who was snorkelling only 100 yards away, described scenes with terrifying echoes of the film Jaws. She said: ‘I looked behind me and there was a woman thrashing about and screaming for help. The water was full of blood. It was horrific.

‘The shark kept coming up and taking bites out of her and then coming back for more, for another bite.’

The mother of two from Horsham, West Sussex, said lifeguards on the beach were ‘useless and petrified’.

Her partner Gary Light, 32, shouted to the lifeguards to get swimmers out of the water, but said they failed to react.

He said: ‘I could see the shark taking bites and going back and attacking this woman.

‘I was trying to get Ellen and everyone else out of the sea. It was ghastly, horrible, like something out of a horror film.’

The German pensioner was mauled to death as she snorkelled in relatively shallow waters around the resort, which is famed for its scuba diving sites.

She died just a day after Egyptian authorities lifted a 48-hour ban prompted by four other savage shark attacks last week. One victim lost a hand and another lost a leg.

Mrs Barnes criticised authorities for assuring tourists that the sea was safe.

‘We were kept very much in the dark about it and we were all promised that the sea was safe,’ she

‘We were told that the sharks would not come over the coral as it would scratch their bellies so that’s why I was out there snorkelling. It is a big shock.

‘The worst thing is that the lifeguards promised there were no more sharks in the sea.

‘I think it is such a shame that the Egyptian government felt confident enough to send out faxes to all the hotels to say it was safe when obviously it was not.’

The attacks have been blamed on a ‘rogue’ oceanic whitetip shark. Experts say it is extremely unusual for a single shark to carry out multiple attacks on humans.

Egyptian authorities are desperate to identify and kill the shark to reassure tourists, who are vital to the country’s economy.

Two sharks, a whitetip and a mako, were caught and killed last week, despite conservation experts warning that they did not resemble photographs taken of the predator following the second attack. These photos show a whitetip with a distinctive chunk missing from its dorsal fin.
Egypt has now paid for three international experts to fly to the resort to investigate.

Lifeguards have been ordered to stop people swimming in the area, but some scuba diving is due to be allowed again from today.

Tourism minister Zuhair Garana said: ‘Diving is being allowed. We are advised that sharks will not attack divers. One of the main reasons for people coming here is to dive and to see sharks.

The attacks have prompted speculation about what could have caused the whitetip’s savage behaviour.

Possible triggers are overfishing,driving the sharks into shallower water to search for food, or tourists feeding the predator, causing it to associate humans with food.

Other theories include livestock carcases being dumped into the water after the Muslim festival of Eid last month.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1336350/Egypt-shark-attack-Warning-British-tourists-Sharm-el-Sheikh-horror.html#ixzz17QoqWDkn

Watch also the clip on the bottom of the article.

Divers will be safe????

Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
The Daily Mail is written by morons for morons. The woman in the clip is a prime example. What exactly did she expect the lifeguards to do? Sure, they're there to help out swimmers in trouble, but shark wrestling, crocodile dundees they aint. First rule of first aid, look for danger, danger to you, or else you're just making things worse.

The woman's a shining product of the nanny state. Would you seriously get in there without the authorities giving firm evidence that one of those sharks had human remains inside them? Can't say even that would be enough for me. Especially with my two little kiddies on the beach [Frown] Even if it was 'pretty' and 'they said it was fine'. All that peroxide has clearly fried her brain. Bet she tries to claim some kind of compensation for psychological trauma. Or get some attention and make a few lousy quid by selling her story... oops, she already did.

I watched the clip. It proved the German woman did in fact speak English, that's about it. What's your point there about "Divers will be safe????" exactly? Are you trying to worry me with that? By my reckoning it's swimmers 5 - divers nil so far. Sharks generally strike from below, on a diagonal line. A diver is safer because they spend the majority of their time at the sea bed or at least low down in the water. It's harder for a shark to attack on a downward diagonal line, I believe, because of the way it's anatomically designed. Of course they can strike on a horizontal line, but it's easier for them to attack from below. So given a surface swimmer or a bottom dweller the surface swimmer is the easier and safest option for them. Of course divers do have to enter and exit at which point they're vulnerable - not to say there isn't a risk all the time, of course there is. But as I say, the swimmer is the easiest and safest option for the shark. A diver in his kit must appear as more of a challenge than bare skin wobbling about on the surface. Of course there's always the possibility and any diver with half a brain knows there's a chance. They choose to take the risk so they have to face the consequences.

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Yeah the killed lady screamed 'Help me!!!'

My mom - who is celebrating her 72nd birthday today [Smile] - knows the word 'help' to scream indeed for help and she knows 'good morning', 'happy birthday', perhaps another five words but that's about it. Now it doesn't mean she speaks English, does it??

The comment about the divers I did because of the following statement which I already highlighted in the last article.

"Tourism minister Zuhair Garana said: ‘Diving is being allowed. We are advised that sharks will not attack divers. One of the main reasons for people coming here is to dive and to see sharks."

I say pool is the only way to go right now.

Btw, Germans are in general very cautious and don't trust others that easily. They are no risk takers - especially not the older generation.

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Monkey:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,358561,00.html

Only in Dudley [Big Grin]

Should I kick up a fuss you are dissing the Black country? [Wink]

Re the sharks tale....how anyone IN Egypt could not have heard or seen this News on regular TV and in all papers is rather unbelievable.

Monkey, it is not a proven fact but the general theory is the more you read the Daily Mail the more your IQ lowers...

And if anyone read my FB last night, we have stopped dubbing the place sharm el shag and it is now shark el shag... [Smile]

Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
I'm sorry. I shouldn't mock the afflicted.

http://www.kryogenix.org/writings/earthquake.cas

[Big Grin]

I'm only messing. I love brummies.

**Runs off to find a nuclear bunker (and according to Wikileaks won't have to go far to find one - great service - thanks guys) to see out the tyrade of abuse from Cheeky at being called a brummy**

Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
quote:
Yeah the killed lady screamed 'Help me!!!'

My mom - who is celebrating her 72nd birthday today [Smile] - knows the word 'help' to scream indeed for help and she knows 'good morning', 'happy birthday', perhaps another five words but that's about it. Now it doesn't mean she speaks English, does it??

The comment about the divers I did because of the following statement which I already highlighted in the last article.

"Tourism minister Zuhair Garana said: ‘Diving is being allowed. We are advised that sharks will not attack divers. One of the main reasons for people coming here is to dive and to see sharks."

I say pool is the only way to go right now.

Btw, Germans are in general very cautious and don't trust others that easily. They are no risk takers - especially not the older generation.

I have a French GCSE **bows**. Thank you, thank you. But if a shark was chowing down on me I can't say my first thought would be "what's the French word for help?". I can't actually remember it so I'd be screwed wouldn't I? Probably have to resort to "Zut Allors!". I know enough German to say "Achtung" but that's your lot. What I'm trying to say is that unless you were fairly fluent, given the gravity and pressure of the situation, I think you'd be shouting in your mother tongue.
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
"Large numbers of tourists have left the area as a result of the attacks and the ensuing beach closures."

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/news/356964,reopens-beaches-shark-attacks.html

That's what the Egyptians didn't want. And that's why tourists were left uninformed and made feel secure - when in fact they weren't.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com