EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Electricity company ripping people off

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Electricity company ripping people off
NAE
Member # 17104

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for NAE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it common for the Egyptian electricity company to rip people off (send incorrect bills)?

For the past 2 months, we have received bills for electricity usage which we are SURE we did not consume - I feel like we are being ripped off.

Who do we speak to/write to about this?

Thanks

Posts: 42 | From: Cairo | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you reading the meters?
Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another option is that perhaps one of your neighbors spliced into your lines. That would not be uncommon for Egypt.
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NAE
Member # 17104

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for NAE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Miss_Tigerlily:
Another option is that perhaps one of your neighbors spliced into your lines. That would not be uncommon for Egypt.

How can we find out if someone spliced into our lines?
Posts: 42 | From: Cairo | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quick way - turn off all the electricity in your home and see if the meter is still spinning - do it a few times throughout a couple of days at different times of day and night to see).

Otherwise, get an electrician to check it out.

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nobody 'spliced' your meter. Egyptians that want to avoid paying high electricity bills do it the old fashioned way. They pay an electrician to righ their meters. Meaing - the electrictian can make the ACs. kitchen or which ever room use electricity without the meter reading it. It takes a few minutes to do.

So the logical answer is this:

1- Did you miss a reading and they electric company arbitarily calculated you're bill.

2- Do you have an electric water heater? Perhaps a small one for the kitchen and leave it on. I left that on all the time for one month and it increased my bill by 200 L.E

Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

quote:
Originally posted by Exiiled:

2- Do you have an electric water heater? Perhaps a small one for the kitchen and leave it on. I left that on all the time for one month and it increased my bill by 200 L.E

[Eek!] [Eek!]

I have electric water heaters in my kitchen and bathroom, leave them on 24/7 (the insulation is good and I tested the difference between leaving them running and turning them off and on -almost no difference), and during the summer when running AC at its peak, my TOTAL bill never went over 180LE!!

@NAE - you might not be aware that if you use more units, the rate you pay per unit will be higher. I can't tell you what that is without digging out a bill, but basically, if you are a low user, the rate per unit is low, a higher user, the rate per unit for ALL your units is higher.

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My highest bill was in July and it was 334le.

This month 35le [Smile]

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My bills were always high until my friend found out how much I was paying. He said it was “haram” [Big Grin] and I was the only one in all of Egypt paying more than 50 L.E [Big Grin] ehehehehehe

Yeah so he introduced me to an electrician who rigged meters. After that the front end of the apartment was off the meter.

I had 4 A/Cs two in the front area of the apartment and cooled an open area that consisted of living room, dining room, foyer and were on all day. During cold winter days I had 3 electric radiators spaced out in the same area, I would wheel one of them to the bedroom at bedtime. Anyone thinking of getting radiators, should get an electric line for them, similar to an A/C as they will blow the fuse if plugged to regular wall outlets. I basically had a noise factory, TV, desktop, Stereo speakers and many times all of them were on the same time. A lot of electric usage could have also been attributed to the small “ba-lahh” bulbs on chandeliers. Each chandler had like a dozen of them, that's easily 600-800 Watts per HR. In hindsight it was definitely over consumption.

Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Anyone thinking of getting radiators, should get an electric line for them, similar to an A/C as they will blow the fuse if plugged to regular wall outlets.

I plug mine into regular wall outlets all the time with no problem.
Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by *Dalia*:
quote:

Anyone thinking of getting radiators, should get an electric line for them, similar to an A/C as they will blow the fuse if plugged to regular wall outlets.

I plug mine into regular wall outlets all the time with no problem.
It keeps you warm or just your cat. [Big Grin] I'm kidding. You probably have decent wiring or apparently I had awful wiring as they kept blowing the fuse out.
Momma_Dukez
Member # 16037

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Momma_Dukez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i just put a magnet on the meter to slow it down.
Posts: 221 | From: philly | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NAE
Member # 17104

Rate Member
sorry guys, I just saw all your replies right now (I haven't been getting the email notifications for this post, although I subscribed to them...:-S)

Anyway, no I don't have an electric heater (we use those old fashioned ones with the flame). The only new electrical thing we have in our house is one of those tall lamps that have a plate-looking thing at the top, but still we don't have that on all day.

The electricity company must've calculated our bill wrong, but there's no way to prove that I guess.

I tried turning off all the electricity in my home to see if the meter would still spin, but it stopped spinning (i only tried that in the morning though..)

It just bothering me that I know I'm being ripped off, and there's no way to prove that

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com