EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Safety of Buildings in Cairo

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Safety of Buildings in Cairo
Ocean Blue
Member # 15974

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Ocean Blue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been trying to educate myself as to what king of flats are available in Cairo, the neighborhoods and the prices. In my looking around I can't help but feel that many of the buildings I've gone in (even newer ones in nice areas) were built quickly without much thought for safety or building codes. Do you ever hear of buildings falling or pancaking? Is there a way to find out if a building or development has met city building codes or has violations? And as a side question, is Cairo prone to earthquakes?
Posts: 24 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=14;t=003258

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/global-filipino/world/07/02/10/two-dead-six-missing-cairo-building-collapse

http://www.turkishweekly.net/news/104464/7-killed-in-cairo-building-collapse-.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_Cairo_earthquake

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as I have been able to see in the last two years that I've lived here, all of the buildings being built were made with brick, having some kind of thin metal rod for what would presumably be support, at intervals along the walls.

I've never seen large beams put up or girders or any kind of substructure work for stabilizing.

All in all, probably best not to dwell on it. Buildings aren't made here like they are in the States, not sure how they are made in other countries but I would assume that Europe has building codes similar to the States.
If they have codes here (which I'm sure they must), it's possible the buildings are being built to code, but it's still not the code you would be used to.

Although they have had earthquakes here, I've not felt any since I've been here, so if there were any they were too small to be noticed.

But buildings do collapse here, for whatever reason. Not sure of the whys or how often, but it happens.

Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amirayagroup
Member # 18479

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amirayagroup   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Sir/Madame,
It is our honor to offer you Amiraya services.
Amirya has been synonymous with quality, service and value.
We can buy sell, rent, finish and furnish different kind of houses.
Amiraya is an industry leader in Hurghada property market, offers a personal and professional service, with a particular focus on the client’s satisfaction.
Our expertise in brokerage and interior design, allows us the advantage of offering you the most comprehensive A-Z service when considering or making your investment.
Amiraya offers
* Real estate services
* After sale service
* Interior design ( Finishing and furniture)
* Furniture packages.
Should you have any further inquiries
please do not hesitate to contact us
info@amiraya.co.uk
amirayagroup@gmail.com info@amiraya.co.uk www.amiraya.co.uk [LIST]
skype amirayagroup
mobile +20166312998
best regards to all

Posts: 1 | From: hurghada | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntonD1
Member # 16387

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AntonD1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The buildings aren't generally made of brick. They are made using a framework of steel reinforced concrete and the gaps filled in with brick.
The problem is the standard of the concrete supplied at the building site, the design of how thick/thin these beams and pillars should be and the design of the foundations.

A lot of the buildings are done as cheaply as possible, obviously, and thus corners are cut. I doubt, even if there are codes, that if the building was to be inspected that an 'arrangement' with the Inspector can be made.
That's if there was planning permission in the first place.

Posts: 29 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mynameisthis
Member # 17234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mynameisthis         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The codes are there and they're not adhered to.
As mentioned above the buildings are constructed with concrete columns and floors/ceilings. For most people there's no way of looking at the structure and being able to tell if it was constructed properly. The engineer's job is to make sure that the right thickness and number of steel bars were installed and the right amount of cement was put in.
Go with larger developers to reduce the risk.
After the columns and ceilings are constructed they put in the bricks (and sometimes cement blocks) to form the walls then put on top of it a layer of cement to give it a smooth finish.
Because they rely on the cement finish to give a good looking finished wall, the brick work always looks like ****. It looks like someone just piled them sort of on top of each other and splattered some cement on it. You will not get the kind of brick laying you see in the west even if you contracted the brick layers yourself because the brick quality itself is crap so the best you can get is one side looking good and the other side crap and in need of a layer of cement to clean it up.

Generally speaking the finishing of homes is crap. I've seen million pound homes that looked like crap to me.

Getting back to your post, if main concern is safety just take a structural engineer with you for a couple of hundred pounds and that should put your mind at ease. As for finishing of walls, floors, doors, windows, electrical and plumbing........best of luck.

Posts: 1044 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com