EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » HP Sauce (Brown Sauce) Crisis

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: HP Sauce (Brown Sauce) Crisis
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Crisis.... there is none in Spinneys, Metro, Royal House, the Import Shop or Ragabs in Heliopolis. (Only Oscars to try)

Wtf amd I meant to do without HP!!!???

Anyone in Heliopolis know of anywhere definetly still selling it? ( i mean for sure so we can go get a batch)

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clear and QSY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try Gourmet Egypt in Maadi. They will deliver if it's too far for you to go.

I used to buy it there because it was the closest thing to A-1 or Heinz 57 that I could find.

http://www.gourmetegypt.com/

Sorry but when we moved a half bottle ended up getting tossed. I would have given it to you if I had known.

Posts: 1626 | From: whatever, wherever | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nah, just checked, Gourmet only has Colemans stuff that I recognised.

I have just walked round Midan Heliopolis too looking in little shops and nothing.

Looks like another luxury has bitten the dust for a while. I will survive, just!

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know what is strange? lol, well, a lot of things here in Egypt, but in particular, regarding the issue of foods gone missing, I have not been able to find the particular brand of soy sauce that I like.
We've checked Metro which usually stock it and even went to Alfa as I had seen it there before, but I've been checking for several months and can not find the brand I used to buy.
I know there are other brands of soy sauce but I'm unwilling to pay 30 plus pounds to find out if something tastes like crud or not.
Is this something normal, that foods stop being imported for a while and then come back? Or just stop all together?

Also, how on earth, and I am asking in all seriousness, can Alfa market charge 50 pounds for a bag of stinkin pretzels???!!!
This made me so mad!! No way I'd pay 50 pounds for pretzels, it's like paying 50 pounds for a bag of crisps! Grrrrr......

I can have a look for brown sauce round this way but I guess it's a bit far for you to come?

Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo Ning Min E
Member # 681

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mo Ning Min E     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't they a have Fathalla near you? Always got it there.
In a saddo moment I discovered that if you buy the 'fruity' one you can almost convince yourself you've got Branston pickle on your cheese sarnie.

Posts: 1399 | From: alexandria | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
I bring Branston in from the UK. I cannot seetle for anything other than the actual thing, I would rather go without.

Where is Fathalla? What is Fathalla?

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Sorry, I read it wrong, I thought you asked if Fathalla by me sold it... see, the withdrawal is getting to me!.

I saw a good Worcester Sauce range though on my hunt! And all kinds of Heinz stuff!

LO, where are you (ish is fine... not your exact address lol)

Mo Ning Min E
Member # 681

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mo Ning Min E     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh God, you are planning to to come and steal my HP sauce?
Alexandria....ish.

Posts: 1399 | From: alexandria | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Bit far for a condiment theft I think. I am travelling in 7 weeks to the UK (am counting) so I will stock up sachets from ropey roadside cafes.... free HP.

I will keep looking though... I cannot eat cheese and onion pasties without it!!!

Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've checked Petro (phone 33450073) Mohandessin zone, he said its missing for some time now, maybe by next week he'll be having some.

If Magdi (owner who is fluently multilingual)says its missing then it must be really out of stock everywhere else.

Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Ah cheers DZ. As long as I know it is unobtainable then I can save shoe leather looking for it. I even have folk in other districts looking for me...

Why is it all the nice stuff vanishes [Frown]

Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clear and QSY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LovedOne:
You know what is strange? lol, well, a lot of things here in Egypt, but in particular, regarding the issue of foods gone missing, I have not been able to find the particular brand of soy sauce that I like.
We've checked Metro which usually stock it and even went to Alfa as I had seen it there before, but I've been checking for several months and can not find the brand I used to buy.
I know there are other brands of soy sauce but I'm unwilling to pay 30 plus pounds to find out if something tastes like crud or not.
Is this something normal, that foods stop being imported for a while and then come back? Or just stop all together?

Also, how on earth, and I am asking in all seriousness, can Alfa market charge 50 pounds for a bag of stinkin pretzels???!!!
This made me so mad!! No way I'd pay 50 pounds for pretzels, it's like paying 50 pounds for a bag of crisps! Grrrrr......

Yes, it is common. It used to be hit or miss whether or not I would find Cheezits at Carrefour. Usually I would have luck by looking around on the bottom shelves and would find a crushed and crumpled box shoved in a corner.

And I once paid 95 LE for a package of Oreos. Sucks when you have a craving for something in Egypt and it's all imported stuff.

Posts: 1626 | From: whatever, wherever | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
I remember back in the early 90's when cans of Coca Cola were a rarity...

We used to go to 'Flash' supermarket and stock up if we saw them.

One thing I see now which I know is one of the first things to be gone in a instant is Heinz beans and Heinz soup... I don't care about the price, I buy them all up and store them.

Did I mention I bought two boxes of Matchmakers for Christmas (a must) and they cost be 120le for 2 boxes lol...

AntonD1
Member # 16387

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AntonD1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's you who has all the beans then. I've been trying to get some again now for months.
Posts: 29 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spinneys have got 'white beans in tomato sauce' don't know how they compare in taste? The pic on the tin looks the same!
Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Yup [Smile]

If you want to know where best to look go to Royal House by Merryland. They usually have a batch in. And they have a good array of goods other stores don't have [Smile]

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
SUCCESS. Somebody got me 3 bottles from Royal House as they have re-stocked and one friend got me one bottle from Gourmet as they sell it in store but just don't advertise online.

FOUR bottles... muhahaha

Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Cheekyferret:
SUCCESS. Somebody got me 3 bottles from Royal House as they have re-stocked and one friend got me one bottle from Gourmet as they sell it in store but just don't advertise online.

FOUR bottles... muhahaha

I told you Gourmet had it! I used to get it there. Hint: they have many things in store not advertised online.
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
I wasn't gonna risk paying more in a taxi than I would for the sauce to go find out lol. Bit daft not advertising all your products online really if you do an online delivery service.

Anyhoo, we also got pork sausages from Ma'adi to go with the sauce.

DZ... tell your dude it is back on sale [Smile]

SQ and Anton, the guys were saying last night that California Garden (I think that't the name) taste just like Heinz beans.

Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats on procuring your stash Cheeky. [Big Grin] Getting something that you like/love via effort is cool. [Big Grin] This is one cool thing about Egypt, and I know it may sound weird but it's cool to miss and appreciate things and obtain them in a non routine way. Yeah...whatever, just talking out my @ss. [Big Grin]
Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marydot
Member # 15932

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for marydot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brown sauce on toast is good.

--------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/marydotapple

Posts: 1048 | From: If you are given a blessing you may be envied | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com