EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Army suspends constitution, suspends parliament

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Army suspends constitution, suspends parliament
Imtiaz Mahmood
Member # 18589

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Imtiaz Mahmood     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Egyptian military said they will run the country for six months, or until presidential and parliament elections can be held. Egypt's military rulers have dissolved parliament and suspended the constitution. Let's hope they soon announce lifting of emergency.

Q: Where does the Egyptian military contend to derive their authority from ? Clearly, there is no authority that I am aware anywhere of a military possessing the right to suspend a constitution.

Posts: 5 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw this a few minutes ago from CNN.

I'm curious what it means for the average citizen? Does this change anything in terms of day to day life or ... well, in terms of anything?

Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Imtiaz Mahmood
Member # 18589

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Imtiaz Mahmood     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If a man comes to my door with a "loaded gun" then whether he is right or wrong he is the boss until I can disarm him.

--------------------
Religion is cause of most ills of Muslim countries!

Posts: 5 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Imtiaz Mahmood
Member # 18589

Rate Member
As per constitution, Speaker of Parliament becomes head of state when President resigns. As military took over from him, it was illegal. So they had to suspend constitution to avert any challenge in the court. They added sweetener of election in 6 months time.

--------------------

vwwvv
Member # 18359

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for vwwvv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Army and protesters disagree over Egypt's path to democracy

Activists reject army appeal to leave Tahrir Square as new leadership resists pressure to hand power to civilian administration

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/feb/12/egypt-military-leaders-fall-out-protesters

Posts: 1365 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwwvv
Member # 18359

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for vwwvv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Report: Army told Mubarak to step down or face 'soft coup'

The officials said that within hours of Mubarak's speech, in which he appeared determined to cling to office, Egyptian army officials confronted the discredited president with an ultimatum: Step down voluntarily, or be forced out.

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4027418,00.html

Posts: 1365 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Imtiaz Mahmood
Member # 18589

Rate Member
‎//Some 2,000 employees of the National Bank of Egypt have also been on strike today, reports Ahram online. It says they want the resignation of the bank's directors and restructuring of the wages within the company//

This is good for the Junta is two ways:

1. If various strikes and protests break out over different issues it may force the opposition to become a rainbow coalition. It would be different groups but having to represent many groups' demands will blunt their focus.

2. It gives the Junta the opportunity to pick off issues piecemeal of their choice and solve those gaining popularity. For example they can buy the loyalty of the bank workers by putting a word in the ear of the bank management to accede to some of the workers' demands

--------------------

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by vwwvv:
Report: Army told Mubarak to step down or face 'soft coup'

The officials said that within hours of Mubarak's speech, in which he appeared determined to cling to office, Egyptian army officials confronted the discredited president with an ultimatum: Step down voluntarily, or be forced out.

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4027418,00.html

I thought so.
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is the army tightening its grip on Egypt?

By Robert Fisk

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/is-the-army-tightening-its-grip-on-egypt-2213849.html

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Imtiaz Mahmood
Member # 18589

Rate Member
One soldier has been replaced by other soldiers. The 82 year's old son will not be president. The constitution and parliament are no more. A military junta is in charge.

If you really think about it, it was Mubarak trying to overthrow the Nasser regime by installing his son (no military experience). This was a direct challenge to the military. Gamal had no links to the high command nor was he a career military officer. This infuriated the military since it would be a hereditary monarchy (in essence) instead of a military regime installed by Nasser. That intra-elite struggle had been going for a year until the military triumphed with the ouster of Mubarak.

The military officers want the same thing as the protesters (Mubarak out), but they had been maneuvering long before the protests started. The crowds helped create a crisis that the military welcomed so they could push out Mubarak. The older generation (pals of Mubarak) were the ones that were reluctant to act. The biggest objectors to Gamal were the post 1973 U.S. trained younger generation of officers and the ones that were most likely agitating for a coup.

The reality is that there was never a revolution. It was a military coup using the crowd as cover to save the regime and take direct control.

The military is not going to have to use overwhelming force. If at all protests flare up into something the military perceives as an existential threat. It is not happening though. The protesters were only a small portion of the 80 million Egyptians.

--------------------

metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for metinoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Imtiaz Mahmood:
One soldier has been replaced by other soldiers. The 82 year's old son will not be president. The constitution and parliament are no more. A military junta is in charge.

If you really think about it, it was Mubarak trying to overthrow the Nasser regime by installing his son (no military experience). This was a direct challenge to the military. Gamal had no links to the high command nor was he a career military officer. This infuriated the military since it would be a hereditary monarchy (in essence) instead of a military regime installed by Nasser. That intra-elite struggle had been going for a year until the military triumphed with the ouster of Mubarak.

The military officers want the same thing as the protesters (Mubarak out), but they had been maneuvering long before the protests started. The crowds helped create a crisis that the military welcomed so they could push out Mubarak. The older generation (pals of Mubarak) were the ones that were reluctant to act. The biggest objectors to Gamal were the post 1973 U.S. trained younger generation of officers and the ones that were most likely agitating for a coup.

The reality is that there was never a revolution. It was a military coup using the crowd as cover to save the regime and take direct control.

The military is not going to have to use overwhelming force. If at all protests flare up into something the military perceives as an existential threat. It is not happening though. The protesters were only a small portion of the 80 million Egyptians.

And where do you live Zamalek?

Right now the transitory council is working extra overtime appleasing the foreign powers that the Suez Canal will stay open to all ships, commercial or military.

The military has to put in massive amounts of effort to satisfy, reassure the international community. This includes freezing amendments to the constitution that allowed the emergency law to be in effect for 30 years.

At this time the military has its hands ful, and I mean full with just a few items including the gas pipeline some idiot blew up in Sinai.

And I don't believe it was two Bedouins attacking a checkpoint filled with soldiers and a cellphone detonator. That kind of story lines work in simplist, stupid Misryeen films and not in real life. Whomever did the explosions had official go ahead and this person needs to be sorted out, they could do it again.

Preparing for elections, investigating corruption and embezzlement, opening the government up to transparency and accountability; let alone the literally hundreds of business contact the government must sever with NDP elite is daunting.

Some industries will go back to being nationalized for the time being, some privatized industries need to be sold to non-corrupt businesspersons or sold on the stock market, medicine and basic food items must go back to being subsidized.....

These are items the military can't do anything about because they are busy with basic security and the Suez Canal.

Don't worry life won't get better for quite some time, the maid your family employs won't quit or demand double wages for some time to come.....

Your comfort and way of life will continue on just everyone else will be in for a shock. Not a concern of yours. Not in the least. [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 2280 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sono's disorientated. Now come on dear. Leave the nice people alone. This is where you're meant to go dear:

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=020221;p=2

Look, I've even got a nice link ready for you [Smile]

Posts: 1678 | From: New Egypt Forum - http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for metinoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Monkey:
Sono's disorientated. Now come on dear. Leave the nice people alone. This is where you're meant to go dear:

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=020221;p=2

Look, I've even got a nice link ready for you [Smile]

I am not getting involved with your hobbit head games.

Plenty of young men who managed to secure their career despite of massive unemployment are very pro-Gamal.

The fear of a meritocracy is certainly a new and unpleasant reality for some.

Posts: 2280 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah come on. The geezer's only made five posts and I see nothing in them that warrants going for the jugular.
Posts: 1678 | From: New Egypt Forum - http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Monkey:
Ah come on. The geezer's only made five posts and I see nothing in them that warrants going for the jugular.

quote:

The protesters were only a small portion of the 80 million Egyptians.

If I remember right when Nassar Inc did their "bloodless coup" back in 1952 it was a military take over. Yet he references 1973 assassination of Sadat which BabaMu probably had a hand in.

Yes a half million protesters over the course of 18 days is a small percentage, but still there were no protests in 1952 nor 1973.

Yes only 5 posts, but during this five posts he's managed to convoluted history to the strangest most twisted degree.

Plenty of affluent, well-connected Egyptians don't want democracy because they wouldn't be as affluent or well-connected if their prospects were based upon merit.

Crimedy my ex's family a couple of centuries ago were some of the wealthiest in all of Egypt, yet now they have to have at least 3 family members working in KSA and the Gulf at all times to afford the taxes on tens of thousands of hectacres of land. Just to keep land in the family that has been ours for several hundred years.

This is a guy that has been affluent and well-connected for at most 2 generations. Of course the shock is going to hurt, but the good life doesn't last forever.

citizen
Member # 1344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for citizen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think Imtiaz is Egyptian, actually.
Posts: 1039 | From: Cairo | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by citizen:
I don't think Imtiaz is Egyptian, actually.

His location states "UK" yet how many Egyptians have naturalized UK citizenship?

Even if he is something other than Egyptian, it doesn't change the fact that a person of merit, justice and good conscience/intentions possesses a mind who can find plenty of fault in his analysis of recent Masryeen Events.

Amoun over the moon
Member # 18587

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amoun over the moon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The Egyptian military said they will run the country for six months, or until presidential and parliament elections can be held. Egypt's military rulers have dissolved parliament and suspended the constitution. Let's hope they soon announce lifting of emergency.

Q: Where does the Egyptian military contend to derive their authority from ? Clearly, there is no authority that I am aware anywhere of a military possessing the right to suspend a constitution.

I respect your view, but I find it too conspiracy theoretic. I genuinely believe that we got the best possible outcome given the circumstances. I'd rather have the military take over than Mubarak staying or Suliman taking over. As for constitutional rights, well, this is a revolution. Everything becomes void and nill by default on revolution. Think the French revolution, Iran and more recently and more peacefully Poland, Georgia, Ukraine, etc.

Besides, the current parliament is invalid by court rulings. I'm personally happy with the outcome, I do believe we need a new constitution, and I don't think the military will stay in power for too long. They've seen what people can do, and if they did once, there no reason to think they can't do it again. So it's not in the military's interest to stay on as it will tarnish their image.

I think you're being too cynical and extremely unfair to the great Egyptian people (first time I use this description) who marshed in millions. What happened was unprecedented in Egypt and some would argue in the modern world. A peaceful revolution without a leader bringing a tyrant regime down.

Posts: 56 | From: Da moon | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com