EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Window Insulation

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Window Insulation
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to interrupt the heated political discussions with a rather trivial subject. [Big Grin]

The current sandstorm has reminded me of the fact that I'd like to do something to insulate my windows in order to keep the dust out (or at least reduce the amount that gets in). I assume the best solution would be to get some kind of window insulation tape, although I know someone who tried this and it didn't work too well.

Has anyone else done this? Any ideas?

Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will be interested to see if anyone has any good ideas.

Our ill fitting window and balcony door frames leave SO much to be desired in the area of keeping anything out. Hubby has a scarf hung on the balcony doors, inside, and you can clearly see it lightly fluttering from the breeze coming in, though the doors are closed. Same deal with the windows.

I would LOVE to live someplace with sliding windows and doors. *sigh* [Razz] Cleaning the sheesh is a royal pain in the patookie!

My one thought as to how to help keep the dust down a little bit, and it's a cheap bad idea, is to hang an old sheet from the top of the window/door, so that at least if the dust is coming in it should be dropping straight to the floor (after hitting the sheet) instead of blowing on through.

Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the tape wont work due to the sticky. Don't know about anyone else but nothing sticky seems to work here for long due to the heat.

If you have outside shutters what most people do here is buy the plastic 'table cloth' type stuff sold on rolls and pin it to the inside of the shutters. Unfortunately it means having your shutters closed and allows no light in. I must be the only one in my area that has my outside and inside open for the light!

Another thing is to get cling film like stuff and do this inside your actual windows, but again same thing with opening.

I am having to learn to live with the dust and learnt never to leave windows open when going out as might have a sand storm while out and come home to literally everything covered in dust!

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have seven windows and eight balcony doors, so you can imagine the amount of dust that gets in. [Frown]

If I owned the apartment, I would most certainly invest in proper windows. They are expensive, but I think it's well worth the money. And it would help keeping the place cool in summer and warm in winter.

Ayisha, like you I like to have light in my apartment, and I don't want to feel locked in. I remember when living in a house that was standing very close to the next house, I hated the fact that I had to keep my blinds closed most of the time so that neighbours weren't able to look in. Now I have free space and lots of trees and greenery in front of my windows, love the view.

Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dalia - I've been told that there is this type of foam strip sold here, with adhesive backing that can be applied to edges of windows, doors and shutters for insulation and to close any gaps. I have yet to see it anywhere on the market here. I will keep on searching though, as I suffer the same problem with drafts and sand getting in from ill fitted windows.
Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it's gaps around the edges of the frame there is an expandable foam sealant which costs around £5 a can here (I don't know if it's available there though, sorry). It's brilliant stuff - you squirt it in like mousse and it billows out and sets - kind of a foamy/rubbery consistency when it's dry. It's cream coloured so shouldn't stick out too badly. If you have big cavities you'd want to pack them out first - if you lose a can in a couple of holes it could work out expensive, but if it's just to seal a small gap (say an inch) around the frame it should work pretty well.
Posts: 1678 | From: New Egypt Forum - http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Laura:
Dalia - I've been told that there is this type of foam strip sold here, with adhesive backing that can be applied to edges of windows, doors and shutters for insulation and to close any gaps. I have yet to see it anywhere on the market here. I will keep on searching though, as I suffer the same problem with drafts and sand getting in from ill fitted windows.

I had that stuff in the UK - total waste of money - didn't last more than a few days [Frown] I forked out for new windows in the end and they paid for themselves in about 2 years with reduced heating costs. (Obviously won't do that here [Wink] )
Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
quote:

Dalia - I've been told that there is this type of foam strip sold here, with adhesive backing that can be applied to edges of windows, doors and shutters for insulation and to close any gaps. I have yet to see it anywhere on the market here.

They do sell it here (don't know where though), but a friend tried it and it didn't work at all.

quote:
Originally posted by Shanta Gdeeda:

I forked out for new windows in the end and they paid for themselves in about 2 years with reduced heating costs. (Obviously won't do that here [Wink] )

Why? You might reduce your electricity costs in summer. And the absence of dust would make it well worth the money. [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by Monkey:

If it's gaps around the edges of the frame there is an expandable foam sealant which costs around £5 a can here (I don't know if it's available there though, sorry). It's brilliant stuff - you squirt it in like mousse and it billows out and asets - kind of a foamy/rubbery consistency when it's dry.

That sounds interesting. Do you have a brand name or a picture? Even if it's not available here I can always buy it abroad or ask someone to bring it for me.
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dalia you have stated that you like to have light in your apartment, which I completely understand and agree about, but the clear plastic might be worth a shot to hang, at least just during the dust storms, until you can get something more permanent sorted.
It will still let some light in and should help cut down on the dust as well. [Smile]

Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
@Dalia - I meant it won't save on heating costs here [Smile]

I don't do too badly in sandstorms actually, even though I do have gaps round my window frames where I'm sure the mozzies sneak in.

I need other things much more than new windows! I have perennial plumbing problems which I really need to get fixed.

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are loads and loads of different brands but these seem to do a wide range:

http://greatstuff.dow.com/products/gaps-and-cracks/

There are waterproof types too. What's good about it is, if you're using it to block a hole, you shouldn't have adhesion problems because it swells to fit and lodges in there - like the way you squirt hair mousse and it gradually gets bigger and bigger.

What's bad about it is, where the hole is in a cavity wall, you could end up using a whole can so you just have to watch it!

Posts: 1678 | From: New Egypt Forum - http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Shanta and Dalia for that info, won't waste time looking for it now. I had used that foam when I lived in the states and yes, it's great for certain types of windows. The thing is, it wouldn't work on my existing wood windows as window/screens/shutters are on hinges and I don't want to permanently seal any of them which is what I am assuming using this would do?
Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
Sorry - yes, it's a permanent filler.
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Will get you the number of a man in 6th October that sells it, if my husband still has it. He also does Aluminium double glazed windows if you were interested in changing them....... zero drafts in winter.
Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com