EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » EX PAT support from employers

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: EX PAT support from employers
Audrey Hepburn
Member # 11579

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Audrey Hepburn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just wondering what experiences any expats had of their employers support (if any) during the recent developments. I know of some schools flying their staff to sharm whilst others did nothing, not even contacting their staff.
Posts: 233 | From: uk | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Audrey... I too know schools who got their staff to Sharm (to discourage them from flying out). I also know schools who ordered their staff back after a week only to still be closed.

I know employers who called their staff and insulted them for hinting at leaving... and I know expats who opened their businesses as normal and expected their expat staff to stick around!

I also know companies who won't allow their staff to return however until stability is restored and the curfew is dropped.

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Audrey - if you are a teacher, then International Schools Review http://www.internationalschoolsreview.com/
was gathering info on how schools managed the situation.

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clear and QSY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great topic. I wish more would respond. I wonder if any schools provided or will provide financial assistance with plane tickets for those who had to fly out with their own money and then will be expected to fly back. I was wondering as well how many will just not come back - especially if they cannot afford the plane ticket. I know the US Embassy expected to be reimbursed to the tune of $600 for evacuating people to Turkey or Greece then the cost of flight from there to US is hovering somewhere around $900 to $1,500.
Posts: 1626 | From: whatever, wherever | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am given to understand that some schools are and others aren't. I think that's part of the info the ISR are gathering from people.
I do know at least one (very expensive) school that paid for any teacher who wanted to leave to do so.

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SG (AFKASQ) is right, it varied from school to school...

I know of a few folk not returning, not just teachers. I know of one girl who is only returning to collect her salary and to fight for her bonus before she leaves for good.

Like I posted elsewhere, because Autumn placements are down, in many international schools jobs are being axed anyway so those who choose not to return are doing those who wish to a great favour.

I have had 2 good friends walk away and won't return [Frown]

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs Hassan
Member # 15069

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mrs Hassan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know of 2 people who work at international schools, they are resident already and did not require a work permit, however 1 of the schools in question has informed that they will only pay Feb's pay and after that if no improvement, they may not be able to pay March's salary. this is due to people not paying this semester/terms installment.
2nd school will pay salary and has sent out text messages to all parents requiring them to pay the school fee installment, pulling on heart strings etc.. its your childs eduaction, we wil work harder, we will work through the next holidays and stay open until end of June/beginning of july to make up for lost time.... So it differs from school to school....

Posts: 129 | From: In the land of plenty | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Also Mrs H... I know of a couple of schools operating till 6pm on school days to make up for lost hours...

A bit like the 'swine flu crisis'... when staff had to work Saturdays.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com