EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Kallimni ‘Arabi Bishweesh

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kallimni ‘Arabi Bishweesh
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In looking around online at the AUC bookshop, I found this beginners book for speaking Egyptian Arabic.

http://aucpress.com/p-3482-kallimni-arabi-bishweesh.aspx

Just wondering if anyone is familiar with it and what you thought of it?

Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes, me! I am now on book3 of the series.
I like it because it is in arabic not transliterations.
You are supposed to use it with a teacher, not on your own and there are some group/pair exercises which you won't be able to do unless you can find someone to study with.
I work with another person who is just a bit more advanced than me.
The conversations in the book are quite realistic.
You might find it hard to find an Egyptian able to help you with it who is not a trained teacher as it is colloquial and they find it hard not to beat you over the head with a big stick for not using more formal as they would have been hit over the head with a big stick at school if they had written arabic like that in their classes!
However, it is more realistic in terms of what you actually hear.

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, well, maybe I can make a deal with hubby. I bake him sweets and he helps me practice. lol

Is there any focus at all on the reading/writing or it's mostly focused on listening and speaking?

I still have my handouts on alphabet and such from the class I took a couple of years ago, have been meaning to get them out and start going over them again.

Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you have ever done proper TEFL training, this is more like that. It covers reading, listening, speaking and writing.
There is a CD with it for listening, and you can read the dialogues as well as listen. It's pretty good I think.
You are supposed to listen to the dialogues and answer the questions and then follow the written dialogues. But you can use it how you want.
It can be instructive to read the dialogue and then listen! You may well find you understand the spoken better than the written simply because you are more familiar with it.

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Sounds good. Will have a look when we go down to the bookstore. Thanks for the information/review! [Smile]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com