EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Moving out of the city

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Moving out of the city
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, folks, if you had your choice, and money was not an issue [Wink] which would you prefer, city or "country". I have lived in Cairo (short time) and Alex (5 years) and now out in the desert by the sea. [Big Grin]

I didn't like living in the city, especially a big one. The constant high noise level, parking problems, air quality, time involved in sitting in traffic for hours trying to move a very short distance and a city busting at the seams in the summertime with villagers moving in for their yearly week vacation was just a little too much.

It is more expensive living outside the city, considering we now pay for a full time gardener, security, driver and triple gas consumption for our car, double food costs from some local groceries, but...I love it [Big Grin]

So is it city or "country" for you.

Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glassflower
Member # 17950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glassflower     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im a country mouse...but do love visiting cities.....my daughter just loves living in the city as there is just so much to do and more culture. I think if money was not an issue Id like the country garden and house and city flat for culture.....nice having grown kids coz seems thats what I have!
Posts: 314 | From: australia | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know I wanted to live in the country (island actually), but the allure of the city is irresistible. I know the same is equally true for the country/islands/boondocks, but personally I need the vibe of the city. So can definitely relate with GF's daughter. I can also relate to Laura, as she detests traffic and pollution. And this is one of the reasons why we settled for the a specific suburb. It's the best of both worlds, less traffic, less pollution, cooler by 4-6 degrees (F) than downtown, 20 minutes to downtown by car, 1 hour to the nearest hillside retreat or “european weather retreat” as they call 'em here.

But I'm very much a cosmopolitian and despite flirtations with “country life”, I guess I'll forever be a city boy.

Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dilemma
Member # 16672

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dilemma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Country for me.
Posts: 133 | From: egypt/usa | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mynameisthis
Member # 17234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mynameisthis         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Country with regular trips to the zoo.
Posts: 1044 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adelly
Member # 14574

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for adelly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Country
Posts: 313 | From: maadi cairo | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also forgot to add, not sure how I could even forget it, the most important thing! Being able to sit outside in a sun dress! Bliss!
Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe you guys live in cities that suck! [Big Grin] The cities (specific) have to be relevant in this discussion.
Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawn-Bev*
Member # 15190

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawn-Bev*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
county for me too, cities OK to visit, but to live, rural
Posts: 712 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mynameisthis
Member # 17234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mynameisthis         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Exiiled:
Maybe you guys live in cities that suck! [Big Grin] The cities (specific) have to be relevant in this discussion.

That's true I was specifically speaking of Cairo.
Posts: 1044 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Could it possibly be that some people just want change? I'm being serious here, people who want to live in the “country”, have you guys actually lived there temporarily or on a trial? And how far is country anyway from the city in your own persecptive? Are we talking like an hour drive away from the city? Or deep country that is several hours away by car from the city, making a r/t an entire day's drive?

My understanding of country is very far away from the city.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com