EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Why do some Egyptian men have a dark area on their foreheads?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why do some Egyptian men have a dark area on their foreheads?
Larkspur
Member # 18592

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Larkspur     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why do some Egyptian men have a dark area on their foreheads?

See a photo of what I mean here - http://theegyptquiz.com/2011/03/11/egypt-quiz-26/

Thanks!

Posts: 18 | From: Massachusetts USA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for metinoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
to test shoe polish, to see if their skin will react thus breaking out in hives.

Not to many alergists (MD) in Egypt.

Posts: 2280 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nelle
Member # 11016

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for nelle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The mark is from their head touching the floor when they pray.
Posts: 46 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stayingput
Member # 14989

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for stayingput     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's called a "zabeeba" (raisin) and is a residual effect of the forehead hitting the prayer mat over and over.
Posts: 758 | From: Here. There. Everywhere. | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Larkspur
Member # 18592

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Larkspur     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd appreciate a serious answer.
Posts: 18 | From: Massachusetts USA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nelle:

It is a serious answer.
Posts: 1678 | From: New Egypt Forum - http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for metinoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Larkspur:
I'd appreciate a serious answer.

thats if these pious dudes pray 5 times a day after scrubing their foreheads with a brillo pad and rub their heads into a prayer mat that wasn't properly dyed.

Seriously now its very rare for ongoing prayer to leave that mark naturally.

They intentionally work in dye to discolor their forehead to appear as if they pray 5 times a day.

Posts: 2280 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ooooooo my god thanks alot u guys i so needed a good laugh and this just made me bust into tears laughing...hahahahahahaha

staying put loved ur answer..
can u imagine a dark scar from hitting yr head on the prayer mat all ur life..well if its serious damn i am glad i was taught to get on my hands and knees as a child and have my folded hands togeather to pray before bed time...none looks at the knees as much as the forehead right?

--------------------
your ass is so tight when you fart only a dog can hear it.when you queef only a cat can hear that one.

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by tina m:
ooooooo my god thanks alot u guys i so needed a good laugh and this just made me bust into tears laughing...hahahahahahaha

can u imagine a dark scar from hitting yr head on the prayer mat all ur life..well if its serious damn i am glad i was taught to get on my hands and knees as a child and have my folded hands togeather to pray before bed time...none looks at the knees as much as the forehead right?

Tina rough discolored knees could be a sign of another sort of habitual activity.

Sorry everyone is going to think it quietly to themselves anyhow.

tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by metinoot:
quote:

Tina rough discolored knees could be a sign of another sort of habitual activity.

well seeing as i dont do either my knees are still white...are u saying u have dark knees sono?? u were the one talkin about slupring ****.. i never eat or suck somthin that goes in other places not consumable thank u very much.....
Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:
quote:

well seeing as i dont do either my knees are still white...are u saying u have dark knees sono?? u were the one talkin about slupring ****.. i never eat or suck somthin that goes in other places not consumable thank u very much.....
And you and the poster who admited to having anal sex on ES.
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Monkey:
quote:

It is a serious answer.
This is correct, however, it is ONLY in Egyptian men, not any other Muslims have this, so yes possibly due to banging the head on the floor or rubbing it. Never seen on a woman even if she prays 5 plus times a day. The majority of Egyptian men don't have this either, even if they pray 5 plus times a day, just some.
Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Larkspur
Member # 18592

Rate Member
Thank you everybody especially nelle, stayingput and Ayisha!
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

And you and the poster who admited to having anal sex on ES.
anal is better than having a mouth full of offspring...
Supercalafragalistic
Member # 15631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Supercalafragalistic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
aahh poo I answered this in the other section before I saw this one!
Posts: 1248 | From: my sex is on fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A holy mark or normal callus? Baxter Jackson uncovers the mystery of the third eye of Islam.
Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I was told exactly the same thing some years ago after my first Egypt visit.Too many religious looking men with the same dark spot on their foreheads.Some sort of like a dark stain.
Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:
quote:
Originally posted by Monkey:
quote:

It is a serious answer.
This is correct, however, it is ONLY in Egyptian men, not any other Muslims have this, so yes possibly due to banging the head on the floor or rubbing it. Never seen on a woman even if she prays 5 plus times a day. The majority of Egyptian men don't have this either, even if they pray 5 plus times a day, just some.
I think that those who have it simply try too much to make others think they are overly pious,more than they really are. [Roll Eyes]
I met one of them that his foreign wife managed to finally escape from him,and made it safely out of Egypt after having to stand years of domestic violence.
And yes,she used to be an ES´eser here years ago.

Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Shahrazat
Member # 12769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Shahrazat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was in Syria, I saw a stone put next to prayer mat in my hotel room. The hotel was next to the shrine of Zaynab (daughter of the Prophet) and the place is mostly visited by Iran Shi'ahs.
Those stones are usually brought from Karbala ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karbala ), a holy place for Shi'ah Muslims.

So while praying they put the stone in the middle of the prayer mat and their forehead hit the stone when doing sajda. According to their belief, during sajda, the forehead can only hit a stone, not a carpet or floor.. That's way many Shi'ahs (and also Jafaris) have that dark area in the middle of their forehead.

the stone

Posts: 2591 | From: **Ex Oriente Lux** | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 'Shahrazat:
When I was in Syria, I saw a stone put next to prayer mat in my hotel room. The hotel was next to the shrine of Zaynab (daughter of the Prophet) and the place is mostly visited by Iran Shi'ahs.
Those stones are usually brought from Karbala ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karbala ), a holy place for Shi'ah Muslims.

So while praying they put the stone in the middle of the prayer mat and their forehead hit the stone when doing sajda. According to their belief, during sajda, the forehead can only hit a stone, not a carpet or floor.. That's way many Shi'ahs (and also Jafaris) have that dark area in the middle of their forehead.

the stone

I didn't know that Iranian shia have this too, but shia also beat and cut themselves as part of the belief as well.
Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Shahrazat
Member # 12769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Shahrazat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

the stone

I didn't know that Iranian shia have this too, but shia also beat and cut themselves as part of the belief as well.
Oh yes [Frown]

http://www.milliyet.com.tr/content/galeri/yeni/goster.asp?prm=0,2895625&id=1&galeriid=2651#galeriStart

Posts: 2591 | From: **Ex Oriente Lux** | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:
quote:

the stone

Oh yes [Frown]

http://www.milliyet.com.tr/content/galeri/yeni/goster.asp?prm=0,2895625&id=1&galeriid=2651#galeriStart

Just watched The da Vinci Code, the psycho murdering monk did the same things. Weird people, isn't life suffering enough! [Confused]
'Shahrazat
Member # 12769

quote:
Weird people, isn't life suffering enough!
Exactly!!
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://sheikyermami.com/wp-content/uploads/prayer-bump1.jpg
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Once upon a time
Member # 13545

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Once upon a time     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you a jew, Tigerlilly?

I saw a cartoon yesterday teaching Children that Muslims with beards are terrorists in a funny way.
As a result Kids imagine all muslims to be terrorists.

I have a light beard and I do not have zebiba. I had a discoloration in the forehead in the past. but It is gone after I changed the prayer rug.

Here is my forehead.
[IMG]http://img859.imageshack.us/img859/1574/mats.jpg[/IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Posts: 218 | From: Giza | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice forehead!! [Big Grin]

http://www.jewishsearch.com/images/articles/article-id-3002.jpg

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marydot
Member # 15932

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for marydot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tigerlily_misr:
Nice forehead!! [Big Grin]

http://www.jewishsearch.com/images/articles/article-id-3002.jpg

By looking at the size of your forehead TL, this man forehead looks good compared to yours..Geez TL enough spare forehead there to cover an entire tyre. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1048 | From: If you are given a blessing you may be envied | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marydot
Member # 15932

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for marydot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I ve been bashing my head off the rug now 7 years, no marks as yet.

--------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/marydotapple

Posts: 1048 | From: If you are given a blessing you may be envied | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tareq
Member # 18033

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tareq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

See a photo of what I mean here - http://theegyptquiz.com/2011/03/11/egypt-quiz-26/

Thanks!

I think It depends on the weight of the head and the body during prayer

http://ipcblogger.net/musawir/files/2010/08/prostration.jpg

Posts: 277 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Tareq:
quote:

Thanks!

The idea is to bow to Allah, not do headstands putting the weight of the body on the head.
marydot
Member # 15932

Member Rated:
All you have to do is bow down gentlty and gracefully. [Smile]
ourluxor
Member # 15101

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ourluxor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I came across this thread accidentally, it's absolutely fascinating!
Posts: 430 | From: luxor | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
didnt know muslims were head bangers lololol

--------------------
your ass is so tight when you fart only a dog can hear it.when you queef only a cat can hear that one.

leeyn
Member # 18693

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for leeyn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well if its serious damn i am glad i was taught to get on my hands and knees as a child and have my folded hands togeather to pray before bed time....

Runescape GoldRS Gold

--------------------
Office 2010
Windows 7 Home Premium
Microsoft Office 2010

Posts: 11 | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

shia also beat and cut themselves as part of the belief as well.

Some shia, certainly not all!
Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Tareq:
quote:

Thanks!

I have noticed heavier guys have the forehead mark.

Still I think its due to the fact that they don't have the physical attractiveness, so they push a pious front instead.

I don't see many older men of the babyboom generation with this mark.

freshsoda
Member # 13226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for freshsoda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Thanks!

They follow the Quran verse sura 48:29

( Thou wilt see them bow and prostrate themselves (in prayer) seeking Grace from Allah and (His) Good Pleasure. On their faces are their marks, (being) the traces of their prostration. )

Posts: 653 | From: Great Manchester | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com