EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » My Downtown love affair

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My Downtown love affair
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

My Downtown love affair

When friends and family have come to visit, I didn't really want to take them to the Pyramids and the Sphinx. I wasn't particularly excited about showing them the great mosques and winding streets of medieval Cairo. I didn't think there was much to see in Zamalek, where I live. What I really wanted to show them was Downtown.

Downtown is Cairo as far as I’m concerned. Of course in a city of almost 20 million people and dozens of neighborhoods, that’s something of a ridiculous statement. Downtown is one of many places, all of them integral to the city’s character and identity. But it is my favorite one, by far.

In the almost a year that I’ve been here, I’ve spent countless nights drinking Stellas in Downtown’s dirtiest watering holes. I’ve passed endless afternoons puffing a shisha in the boursa or other Downtown qahwas. I’ve met scores of characters—some kind and fun, some unpleasant, most of them eccentric—in these classic Downtown hangouts.

Sometimes for the fun of it I take a walk up Talaat Harb Street at midnight just to admire the hordes of people, including—it took me a while to get used to this—families with small children. I buy all of my vegetables at the Bab el-Luq market, even though I live next to a big Western-style supermarket. I love the architecture of the old colonial buildings and the layout of the streets and the midans with their tarboosh-wearing statues.

Part of this, I’m a little embarrassed to say, stems from my sense of nostalgia. I’ve always kind of wished I were living in 1960. I like the fashion and the culture and the history and politics of those years. For better or worse (he had his flaws to be sure) I’ve always been a bit enamored of Gamal Abdel Nasser. And when I sit in the Greek Club, snacking on mezze, sipping Stella, and discussing imperialism, I can almost ignore the tacky Christmas lights and the polyester tablecloths and imagine myself to be one of the few foreigners hanging around Cairo during the heady days of post-revolutionary Egypt.

It’s not just imaginary, though. There is also the very real fact that Downtown is, in a way, the heart of this city, even as people with money make the move out to 6th of October City and Sheikh Zayed and other new communities out in the desert. Downtown is where the government is. It’s also, in a way, the site of Cairo’s transformation from a “modern” city built by Khedive Ismail, to a colonial capital occupied by Britain, to a post-colonial, post-revolutionary cultural and political capital, to… whatever Cairo is now. (We can save that discussion for another day.)

I’m not writing this to plug Al-Masry Al-Youm’s new Downtown page, although I will say I am very excited about it. I’m writing this because when I go back to the United States and am living in New York or wherever, I’ll sit on a plush couch in a coffeeshop with WiFi, sip on my latte, and miss the stained glass windows, the smokey air, the strong tea and the stray cats of Downtown.

©Max Strasser

Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for metinoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't that dude stay like 6 months and leave Egypt?

I wanted to read his blog over a longer period of time.

Posts: 2280 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah this must be an old article. He now lives in Turkey.

http://twitter.com/#!/maxstrasser

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tigerlily_misr:

Yeah this must be an old article.

I still like it. [Smile]
Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No one objected to the article, Dalia. Everything is cool.
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Down town Cairo has become a disgrace to what it actually was during the era of cosmopolitan Cairo during the roaring 40's, post WWII days, nowadays, the only place that's kept its identity to some extent is Café Riche.

I've seen it in the sixtees and witnessed the drastic decline to what we've become today, I never would've imagined to live and find street vendors peddling on Kasr El Nil and Cherif Pacha streets, or even worse the King Fouad Blvd. (26th.July St.) once a prime shopping area for Egypt's elite, turn into a slum, catering for the millions of Cairo's working class with all those fuul and ta3meya outlets.

I'm very sorry for what's happened to the capital of Egypt, once renowned to be the best in all the middle east and North Africa.
I'm also sorry for Alexandria, and that's another issue. [Frown]

N.B.
I'm not criticizing the article by the way, just thought that people should know how things have become in downtown Cairo, thank God its documented for the nostalgic Cairenes to remember the golden era.
Nostalgia. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for metinoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dzosser:
Down town Cairo has become a disgrace to what it actually was during the era of cosmopolitan Cairo during the roaring 40's, post WWII days, nowadays, the only place that's kept its identity to some extent is Café Riche.

I've seen it in the sixtees and witnessed the drastic decline to what we've become today, I never would've imagined to live and find street vendors peddling on Kasr El Nil and Cherif Pacha streets, or even worse the King Fouad Blvd. (26th.July St.) once a prime shopping area for Egypt's elite, turn into a slum, catering for the millions of Cairo's working class with all those fuul and ta3meya outlets.

I'm very sorry for what's happened to the capital of Egypt, once renowned to be the best in all the middle east and North Africa.
I'm also sorry for Alexandria, and that's another issue. [Frown]

N.B.
I'm not criticizing the article by the way, just thought that people should know how things have become in downtown Cairo, thank God its documented for the nostalgic Cairenes to remember the golden era.
Nostalgia. [Roll Eyes]

I understand for asthetic reasons why you are dispirited, but there are other spots in Egypt for wealthy and foreigners.

Almost half of Lake Minnetonka was a wetland perserve, to keep the lake a lake and not entirely a recreation center.

Well that wetland preserve is now "Greenwood" and the lake water levels have plunged 40%.

Wealthy and foreigners in this modern times appreciate a walled fortress around them. Downtown Cairo doesn't meet their "security" needs, thus they moved on.

Posts: 2280 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Government mismanagement. Seriously, between 1940 to 2010, Cairo has been growing steadily at a rate of 100k-200k per year. This was by birth and migration. You can only cramp so many people in bulaq, imbaba, soubra, etc before they start making their way towards downtown and other “affluent areas”, transforming them and making them their own. Look around Cairo, it's mere pockets that remain affluent, I don't think you can walk or drive more than 1km before you exit such boundaries. Nasr City infrastructure expanded too slowly to accommodate people. The same with “newer” satellite cities. You can't just construct buildings in the middle of nowhere without adequate transportation souks, etc. Most of all the government failed to develop rural areas, driving everyone to cities, especially Cairo.
Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com