EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Muslim Sisterhood?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Muslim Sisterhood?
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wondered if there is a Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt why isn't there a Muslim Sisterhood? So I googled and came up with the following:

http://axcessnews.com/index.php/articles/show/id/21411

Honestly I did not like what I read. Why does this organization have to be considered a terrorist group ???? [Eek!]

Why can't proud Egyptian women and Muslimas form their own fast-growing political party, become a strong counterpart to the MB and fight for their own rights since the MB won't do it for them but yet they want all the votes they can get from the ladies.

Well they got The Egyptian Centre for Women's Rights http://ecwronline.org/index.php?lang=english but I don't hear much about them.

IMHO more Egyptian women are needed to want to change something about their own status in the country. Girls, the men won't do it for you!!!!

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for metinoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tigerlily_misr:
I wondered if there is a Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt why isn't there a Muslim Sisterhood? So I googled and came up with the following:

http://axcessnews.com/index.php/articles/show/id/21411

Honestly I did not like what I read. Why does this organization have to be considered a terrorist group ???? [Eek!]

Why can't proud Egyptian women and Muslimas form their own fast-growing political party and become a strong counterpart to the MB since they won't do it for them but yet they want all the votes they can get from the ladies.

Well they got The Egyptian Centre for Women's Rights http://ecwronline.org/index.php?lang=english but I don't hear much about them.

IMHO more Egyptian women are needed to want to change something about their own status in the country. Girls, the men won't do it for you!!!!

You do know tigerweed that the MB has had political candidates that were women right?

http://www.ikhwanweb.com/article.php?id=26867

Brotherhood woman candidate confident about electoral bid
Bushra al-Samny, the Muslim Brotherhood female candidate in Alexandria, is confident that she is going to win the woman quota seat in Alexandria in the 28 November parliamentary elections.

http://www.ikhwanweb.com/article.php?id=27187

How about the NDP refusing to promote women within the party for election:

NDP Women Accuse Party of Discrimination
A report issued by The Egyptian Center for Women’s Rights (ECWR) highlighted numerous objections from potential National Democratic Party women candidates in Egypt's upcoming parliamentary elections slated for November 28.

http://www.ikhwanweb.com/article.php?id=27131

And for your information the MB has its roots in the Sufi mystic group that would get together to plan moulids and organize charity drives. Yes it was a mainly male group, but there were sinorities of female Sufi and charitable groups that would conduct their efforts along side the male sufis.

The Muslim brotherhood isn't shaytan.

Nor do women have to be secular to be political.

Posts: 2280 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
originally posted by TL:
Honestly I did not like what I read. Why does this organization have to be considered a terrorist group ????

Because of the word 'muslim' in it, makes 'some' people immediately think 'terrorist' just like you do when you see 'muslim brotherhood'

quote:
originally posted by sono:
You do know tigerweed that the MB has had political candidates that were women right?

If she read the article she posted she would, so would you if you read it.

"A special women's unit within the banned radical group Muslim Brotherhood is operating in Egypt and possibly other Arab nations."

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for metinoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:
]If she read the article she posted she would, so would you if you read it.

"A special women's unit within the banned radical group Muslim Brotherhood is operating in Egypt and possibly other Arab nations."

[Roll Eyes]

that may be what the article states, but the Muslim brotherhood doesn't segregate the activities of its women members.

The article leans on an assumption which is false.

Posts: 2280 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
originally posted by TL:
Honestly I did not like what I read. Why does this organization have to be considered a terrorist group ????

Because of the word 'muslim' in it, makes 'some' people immediately think 'terrorist' just like you do when you see 'muslim brotherhood'

Erm suffering from Alzheimer's now???? [Big Grin]

The Muslim Brotherhood DOES have a violent past and just because officially its said that they no longer support terrorist activities doesn't mean you can take that for granted. Nothing is 100% safe - just look at the nuclear drama right now in Japan. There was a reason why Mubarak was on their @sses and ruled with his emergency law rule.

Well worse case scenario for me if the Ikwans really take over Egypt is that I most likely can't wear anymore my hot pink bikini in Hurghada. [Wink] But then again other countries have nice beaches too.

But now back to the original topic: If Egyptian women want change they need to fight for that themselves. Yeah there are female activists but they are deeply outnumbered by the women who just passively accept their fate.

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by metinoot:
quote:
]If she read the article she posted she would, so would you if you read it.

[Roll Eyes]

that may be what the article states, but the Muslim brotherhood doesn't segregate the activities of its women members.
I must be reading a different article then. It is old anyway.

quote:
The article leans on an assumption which is false.
Possibly they didn't consult you as an expert in this field first. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Well worse case scenario for me if the Ikwans really take over Egypt is that I most likely can't wear anymore my hot pink bikini in Hurghada. [Wink]

A woman who has had more than a couple of caesareans should spare her fellow human beings the sight of her ruined abdomen and refrain from wearing bikinis. [Razz]
Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:
quote:
originally posted by TL:

Erm suffering from Alzheimer's now???? [Big Grin]
No, are you? You asked the question seemingly shocked anyone would think they were terrorists, if you read the article you will see they are a part of the group you think are.

quote:
The Muslim Brotherhood DOES have a violent past and just because officially its said that they no longer support terrorist activities doesn't mean you can take that for granted. Nothing is 100% safe - just look at the nuclear drama right now in Japan. There was a reason why Mubarak was on their @sses and ruled with his emergency law rule.
I know their past and no one said anything about thinking they are safe, you seem to assume the women OF THEM are, I didn't.

Are you saying that the earthquake in Japan and subsequent nuclear problem is something to do with babaMu being ousted?

quote:
Well worse case scenario for me if the Ikwans really take over Egypt is that I most likely can't wear anymore my hot pink bikini in Hurghada. [Wink] But then again other countries have nice beaches too.
You can still wear your hot pink bikini on the beaches in Hurghada, plenty there doing that now and no sign of any terrorists, male or female.

quote:
But now back to the original topic: If Egyptian women want change they need to fight for that themselves. Yeah there are female activists but they are deeply outnumbered by the women who just passively accept their fate.
You have statistics for this divide? There are plenty of women, and men, fighting for their rights, stop trying to separate the women out like you keep trying with dividing the religions too. There is a NATION fighting together for their rights, just as your people did with the Berlin wall. I don't assume that was split into religions and sexes either but rather the east Germany 'people' as a whole.
vwwvv
Member # 18359

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for vwwvv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shocking Egyptian study: It’s okay to beat women

Dec 22nd, 2010 | By Manar Ammar

A recent Egyptian public opinion study revealed a majority of Egyptians believe it’s okay to beat one’s wife. A survey of Egyptian youngsters published this month found that the majority, 80.4 percent of males and 66.7 percent of females believe that a husband is justified in beating his wife if she speaks to another man and almost 44 percent of women surveyed reported being sexually harassed.

Almost 80 percent of men and 73 percent of women believe that women with provocative outfits deserve to be harassed.

Some of the results have been shocking for many activists and women’s rights groups.
http://bikyamasr.com/wordpress/?p=23557

Posts: 1365 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marydot
Member # 15932

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for marydot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Muslim Brotherhood IS banned in Egypt.

As for a sisterhood organization i don't think it could exist.

But there is a sisterhood shared between sisters within the ummah. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1048 | From: If you are given a blessing you may be envied | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
citizen
Member # 1344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for citizen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a Muslim Sisterhood...

And there are activists and feminists and all sorts...

Exciting times...

Posts: 1039 | From: Cairo | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's for the Arabic speaking ESers a glimpse of what the Muslim Brotherhood's about. [Frown]
Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dalia*:
quote:

Well worse case scenario for me if the Ikwans really take over Egypt is that I most likely can't wear anymore my hot pink bikini in Hurghada. [Wink]

A woman who has had more than a couple of caesareans should spare her fellow human beings the sight of her ruined abdomen and refrain from wearing bikinis. [Razz]
OUCH!!!

And I do have the MOST BEAUTIFUL KIDS - you are just jealous.

Seriously you should eat something else besides salad leaves and sunflower seeds and maybe then - and only then - you will develop some humor (if you know what that means).

Btw I bet you did carpet munching to get your job at the German University since you truly HATE men in general. [Razz] [Razz]

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:
No, are you? You asked the question seemingly shocked anyone would think they were terrorists, if you read the article you will see they are a part of the group you think are.

Ahhhh you believed in it again. [Big Grin] Dear Ayisha, we had this topic before not long time ago. Don't believe everything what you read or hear.

IMHO this article makes several claims which I find pretty DOUBTFUL. Don't you feel the same?

quote:
I know their past and no one said anything about thinking they are safe, you seem to assume the women OF THEM are, I didn't..

Ha, do you seriously believe that any woman is actively involved in the Muslim Brotherhoo. Honey it's like a bunch of guys meeting for a poker night to enjoy some booze and some hot strippers. They don't want their WIVES there!!!! [Big Grin]

quote:
[QBAre you saying that the earthquake in Japan and subsequent nuclear problem is something to do with babaMu being ousted? [/QB]

And okay I guess you didn't understand the example I give (Japan) sorry for that. Let me give you another one then: a CONDOM. You must remember what that is, don't you? Well anyway not even a condom is 100% safe. Hope you got my point now. In case you didn't, don't scream loud. I can't hear you.

quote:
You can still wear your hot pink bikini on the beaches in Hurghada, plenty there doing that now and no sign of any terrorists, male or female.

HUHHHHHH???? No one said otherwise. I am talking about 10 years down the road. If that happens kiss foreigners goodbye.

quote:
You have statistics for this divide? There are plenty of women, and men, fighting for their rights, stop trying to separate the women out like you keep trying with dividing the religions too. There is a NATION fighting together for their rights, just as your people did with the Berlin wall. I don't assume that was split into religions and sexes either but rather the east Germany 'people' as a whole.

Gosh Egyptians sun must have really gotten to you. I am not sure how much you hear about what's really going on in Egypt. Of course people around you will say everything is fine and not to worry. Just like the neighbor who beats his wife wouldn't admit to it and the wife who endures her violent husband and is too scared to run away. You don't talk to strangers/foreigners about it; things get sorted out after the door closes. That's the type of mentality Egyptians have.

And no kidding there is a whole nation fighting for their rights. And yes they are segregated by sex, class and religion - that's the sad part of it.

Why you think the brave women who protested for their rights got harassed two weeks ago on Tahrir Square? Because men in general think they shouldn't have a voice; they are basically second class citizens. They should simply stay home and cook.

Egypt has a long long way to go to reach equality for both men and women. In the meantime many more women have to be mobilized to help supporting the cause. If it's not for themselves it's for their daughters and granddaughters.

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:

Ahhhh you believed in it again. [Big Grin] Dear Ayisha, we had this topic before not long time ago. Don't believe everything what you read or hear.

IMHO this article makes several claims which I find pretty DOUBTFUL. Don't you feel the same?

Dear TL, everything I read lately is doubtful, I think I do now have to put it down to my Alzheimer's which I knew the day before yesterday but it slipped again yesterday, you know how it is [Frown]

*sticks note on computer to remind me*

quote:
quote:
I know their past and no one said anything about thinking they are safe, you seem to assume the women OF THEM are, I didn't..

Ha, do you seriously believe that any woman is actively involved in the Muslim Brotherhoo. Honey it's like a bunch of guys meeting for a poker night to enjoy some booze and some hot strippers. They don't want their WIVES there!!!! [Big Grin]
Don't be silly woman! poker and hot strippers is a NO NO to these good muslims. Dominos and belly dancers only!

quote:
quote:
[QBAre you saying that the earthquake in Japan and subsequent nuclear problem is something to do with babaMu being ousted? [/QB]

And okay I guess you didn't understand the example I give (Japan) sorry for that. Let me give you another one then: a CONDOM. You must remember what that is, don't you? Well anyway not even a condom is 100% safe. Hope you got my point now. In case you didn't, don't scream loud. I can't hear you.
too confused to scream [Confused]

quote:
quote:

HUHHHHHH???? No one said otherwise. I am talking about 10 years down the road. If that happens kiss foreigners goodbye.
phew, in 10 years I wont want to be on the beach in a bikini so no worries there. [Wink]

quote:
quote:

Gosh Egyptians sun must have really gotten to you. I am not sure how much you hear about what's really going on in Egypt. Of course people around you will say everything is fine and not to worry. Just like the neighbor who beats his wife wouldn't admit to it and the wife who endures her violent husband and is too scared to run away. You don't talk to strangers/foreigners about it; things get sorted out after the door closes. That's the type of mentality Egyptians have.
Yes sun is hot now but as you know I'm locked in chained to the kitchen sink so it has little effect on me, flat is rather hot though. I live here so I know nothing about what's really happening here. Yes some men beat their wives - oh but they do it too in UK, USA, Germany, etc etc. but OMG Egyptians beat their wives, must be because they are Muslims eh?

quote:
And no kidding there is a whole nation fighting for their rights. And yes they are segregated by sex, class and religion - that's the sad part of it.
Oh I do wish I was outside this country sometimes so I could see the real news on what's really happening here. [Frown]

quote:
Why you think the brave women who protested for their rights got harassed two weeks ago on Tahrir Square? Because men in general think they shouldn't have a voice; they are basically second class citizens. They should simply stay home and cook.
Men in general actually do think women should have a vote and a voice, I must know a different 'men in general' to you.

quote:
Egypt has a long long way to go to reach equality for both men and women. In the meantime many more women have to be mobilized to help supporting the cause. If it's not for themselves it's for their daughters and granddaughters.
I fully agree [Wink]
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Seriously you should eat something else besides salad leaves and sunflower seeds and maybe then - and only then - you will develop some humor (if you know what that means).

Btw I bet you did carpet munching to get your job at the German University since you truly HATE men in general. [Razz] [Razz]

You can bitch and moan and try to provoke as much as you like, I certainly won't discuss my life, age, looks, job or any other private issue with you. Sorry. And I suggest you start getting a life instead of inventing one for other members.
[Roll Eyes]
Seriously – I don't understand why you're on here. You are not interested in Egypt, and you seem to hate almost everyone on here. You are not interested in discussion, you're not interested in exchange, you're not even interested in light-hearted conversation.

All you do day in day out is bitching about Egypt and dishing out childish insults to anyone who disagrees with you. I honestly don't get it. If you hate Egypt and Egyptians so much, why are you here? If you think all other women on here are dried-out, man-hating, menopausal bitches, suffering from Altzheimer and being utterly jealous of your youth, beauty, perfect children and blissful life, why would you want to interact with them? You seem to get a kick out of venting your aggressions on here and that certainly doesn't make you look like a happy, balanced and fulfilled person.

Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia*
Member # 10593

The Muslim Brotherhood and Women

Last week Asharq al-Awsat devoted an entire page to answering the question: What if the Muslim Brotherhood ruled? The round up of opinions made for interesting reading but there was an important question that that they did not tackle: What will life be like for women if the Muslim Brotherhood ruled?

Ask Makarem el-Deiry the Brotherhood's only female candidate who lost her bid to represent Nasr City.

In an election in which the National Democratic Party fielded just six women, it is difficult to criticize a female candidate. But I could not support el-Deiry just because she was a woman.

Makarem el-Deiry, a mother of seven, made it a point to stress that a woman's place is in the home where their main role is to be a good mother who looks after their children. She is presumably working outside of the home - she lectures in Arabic literature at Al-Azhar University, from where she holds a Ph.D - because her husband, Ibrahim Sharaf, a Muslim Brotherhood leader, is dead and her children are grown.

Not only were her campaign statements insulting to those of us who believe a woman's role outside of the home is just as important as inside, but her words were also callously out of touch with the reality of the very people that the Muslim Brotherhood pride themselves on reaching out to: Egypt's poor.

Maybe women in el-Deiry's Nasr City constituency can afford to live on their husbands salaries alone, but many families in Egypt need two salaries to survive and more than a quarter of households in Egypt are supported by women alone. In such homes, the male breadwinner has either lost his job or he has abandoned his family altogether.

Dr. Makarem made the absurd assertion to Agence France Presse that women and children in the West are victims of violence because they have forgotten over there that men are superior to women. She did not explain why women and children face identical violence in Arab societies.

Explaining why she thought that God had granted Muslim men alone the right to initiate divorce, el-Deiry said "Women are impulsive, they ask for divorce and then they regret their decision."

Thank God al-Azhar, where el-Deiry teaches, forgot or ignored this supposed impulsiveness and chose instead to bless legislation passed in 2000 granting women the right to initiate divorce, called Khul.

There is probably nothing worse than a woman who uses religion to undermine herself. While el-Deiry is fully entitled to hold herself in such low esteem, the Muslim Brotherhood must not be allowed to apply such lowly attitudes to the rest of us.

A quick tour of Islamist attitudes towards women in Arab countries is a warning of their damaging views. In Palestine, just ask women how they have been marginalized by Hamas over the past few years. In Kuwait, ask women about the Islamist candidates who until this year blocked legislation giving them the right to vote. And ask Algerian women about the violence unleashed on them by Islamists. In Jordan, ask women who besides Islamists parliamentarians consistently reject moves to toughen sentences against honour crimes and who besides the Islamists oppose legislation granting women the right to divorce. But then, according to el-Deiry, they should probably thank these Islamists for barring them from the right to initiate divorce because they are after all impulsive and might ask for a divorce and then regret it.

Why do we allow religious zealots to apply their most extreme opinions against women? Why is it we can make eloquent arguments about the dangers of such zealots to religious minorities and to liberal attitudes and yet remain silent about their dangers to women?

I cannot talk about the Muslim Brotherhood's position on women without mentioning hijab. For many in Egypt this might be a moot point. They will say that the majority of Egyptian women wear the hijab. While this might be true, it certainly isn't the point.

Regular readers of my articles will remember that in an interview in June with Mahdi Akef, the leader of the Muslim Brotherhood, I asked him if the group planned to change anything in the Egyptian constitution regarding women's rights should they ever come to power.

To prove to me that the Brotherhood would not endanger women's rights, Akef pointed to me and said that although I was "naked" I had been allowed to enter his office. I objected and insisted I was not "naked." I was wearing a short-sleeved T-shirt and trousers. I said there were many views on Muslim women's dress but he insisted that there were no differences among the views.

Such an attitude not only belies the Brotherhood's true attitude towards women, but it also highlights the two languages they use: one with Egyptian or Muslim journalists and another with Western journalists. Akef would never have told a Western journalist she was "naked."

Egyptians are fed up of government authoritarianism and we certainly do not want to replace it with the Brotherhood's religiously-inspired authoritarianism.

The Muslim Brotherhood wrap themselves up so tightly in the colours of Islam that anyone who criticizes their positions will be accused of criticizing Islam itself. But we must overcome whatever imaginary red lines they draw for us. We must embrace the word "secularism" and embrace without guilt its concept of separation of religion from politics.

We must not be silenced out of misplaced sympathy just because the Brotherhood are banned or because the government went out of its way to arrest and harass Brotherhood voters in the later rounds of these elections. We condemn the violence and the vote rigging but we must not be guilt tripped into silently accepting the Muslim Brotherhood's positions.

This is especially true of their positions on women - even if they use women to make those positions.

©Mona Eltahawy 2005

marydot
Member # 15932

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for marydot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

You can bitch and moan and try to provoke as much as you like, I certainly won't discuss my life, age, looks, job or any other private issue with you. Sorry. And I suggest you start getting a life instead of inventing one for other members.
[Roll Eyes]
Seriously – I don't understand why you're on here. You are not interested in Egypt, and you seem to hate almost everyone on here. You are not interested in discussion, you're not interested in exchange, you're not even interested in light-hearted conversation.

All you do day in day out is bitching about Egypt and dishing out childish insults to anyone who disagrees with you. I honestly don't get it. If you hate Egypt and Egyptians so much, why are you here? If you think all other women on here are dried-out, man-hating, menopausal bitches, suffering from Altzheimer and being utterly jealous of your youth, beauty, perfect children and blissful life, why would you want to interact with them? You seem to get a kick out of venting your aggressions on here and that certainly doesn't make you look like a happy, balanced and fulfilled person.

Finally everyone is seeing TL for what she really is..

[Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 1048 | From: If you are given a blessing you may be envied | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
citizen
Member # 1344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for citizen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
- you are just jealous.

hmmmm...
Posts: 1039 | From: Cairo | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwwvv
Member # 18359

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for vwwvv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Yes some men beat their wives - oh but they do it too in UK, USA, Germany, etc etc. but OMG Egyptians beat their wives, must be because they are Muslims eh?

In UK, USA or Germany it is NOT socially accepted to "discipline" a wife.

"I agree with you that it would be unfair to blame all the mishaps of the society on religion. There are many crimes that happen due to the human’s own wickedness that is often caused by wrong education. Criminals fill the prisons of all countries whether Muslim or not. If a man is abusive to his wife it is not necessarily because of his religion. It could be because of his upbringing in an abusive family. But what if this abusive behavior is not the exception but the norm? In that case one could conclude that in such places many families are abusive and therefore the abuse becomes part of the culture. If few people beat their wives, that is abusive but if most people do it, it is “normal” and a cultural thing.

We notice that the abuse in Islamic countries towards the women is far more than the abuse of women in the West. One example of that is honor killing. In many Islamic countries honor killing is not a bad thing at all. In fact the killers regain their honor by killing a female member of their own family. Often these victims have done nothing wrong. They have been raped forcefully and now they have to be killed by their own brothers or fathers. In Jordan a brother killed his own sister after another brother had raped her. The killer got one-year jail and was extremely proud of his crime. Sometimes the husband just kills his wife and then accuses her of infidelity to get a lenient treatment.

The question is why abuse towards women in certain cultures is a norm while in other cultures it is an exception? We could ask this question about other “cultural” traits. For example all Islamic countries are antidemocratic to the extent that they are Islamic. Is there any relationship between Islam and lack of democracy?

What is culture? Culture can be defined as the general characteristic of a community. The community is made of the individuals. Individuals have values and act according to those values. Those vales are often given to them at their childhood in their families. Values drive from beliefs. If my beliefs subconsciously make me a misogynist, it is very probable that I will end up as a woman hater and abuser.

What values Islam give to its followers? Quran is very clear that Men are a degree superior to women and that they are their protectors. This undoubtedly conveys the idea that women are incapable to take care of themselves and they are dependent on men. This false image of women is further emphasized when the laws of the Sharia do not recognize women as intelligent enough to witness is a court. The reason given is that if one of them forgets, the other one can remind her. Is there any scientific study that demonstrates women are more forgetful than men? Absolutely not! All these stereotypes convey only one message to the subconscious of the man who believes those teachings are from God. The message is that women are inferior, that they are deficient in intelligent, that they are crooked like a rib that cannot be strengthened. What are the consequences of such conditioning? The consequence is that women should not be trusted. That they are naturally inclined to be wicked, and that they must be punished and even scourged (beaten). An unequivocal example of such conditioning can be witnessed from the writings of Mr. Sulayman Yahya who in his last message to me wrote;

“Maybe a liberal freethinker like you would enjoy watching his wife screwing (which is transgressing) with another freethinking man. Perhaps a free thinking wife has the right to do so.”

This gentleman is incapable to accept the facts that women have equal rights. He equated emancipation of women with adultery. This is disturbing and shameful yet as a Muslim he is incapable to elevate himself beyond that. No wonder these Muslims kill the women and deal with them so harshly for little offences like when a woman exposes her hair or her arm. He sees that as tantamount to adultery.

Therefore there can be no denial that religion has an important effect on our culture, that it shapes our individual as well as our collective behavior. Therefore we must blame the religion for most of negative trait of a society. If rape, murder, violence against women, abuse of human rights and dictatorship are part of the teachings of a religion and the majority of the individuals who are subjected to those teachings behave in such manner then it is those teachings that are to be blamed and nothing else.

In your own message to me you mentioned that when in Bangladesh your Islamic teachers did not allow you to ask religious questions. They did not allow you to ask questions because Muslims are very sensitive towards criticism. You can ask as many questions as you like but your reaction to the response must be “yes I agree”, “yes now I understand” to all of them. If you ever insist or God forbid disagree with a statement given as the answer, you will be dealt with not so pleasantly. This is not a personal characteristic of a Mullah but a general characteristic of all the Muslims, Mullah or not. In such culture where freedom of thinking and questioning does not exist, dictatorships thrive. Dictatorships exist in the family where clearly Muhammad puts women under the tutelage of men. Dictatorship exists in the community where a Mullah can decide the life and death of another person without the need of any trial or defense. And dictatorship exists in the system of government. As Westerners distanced themselves from religion and learned about equality, they also learned about democracy. It is unthinkable that a dictator can rise in USA, Canada, UK or Australia and be accepted. This cannot happen even in Germany anymore. But in Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Iraq and virtually all Islamic countries dictatorships are the norm. If a democratic government comes to power, it will be soon overthrown by another dictatorship or it will become a dictatorship. People, who have been suppressed by a pernicious culture like that of Islam, accept dictators. This is unthinkable in the West. Therefore whether you admit it or not most of the mishaps in Islamic countries happen thanks to Islam." (Ali Sina)

Posts: 1365 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

[Roll Eyes]

Haha says YOU who as a native German with very limited Arabic skills argues with native Arabic speakers about their own language or even tries to lecture as a non-Muslim Muslims on the Koran???? Holy moly!!!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Honestly you are so full of yourself and a complete joke.

Why you are on here? You can't find in Cairo enough people to argue with, you have to look out for your image in real life and that's why you vent here online? Honestly I truly wonder how you can deal with the daily life in Egypt with so much hate for men in your heart???

[Roll Eyes]

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by marydot:

[Big Grin] [Big Grin]

YAWN..... you repeat yourself now like that for 1.5 years.

Who is everyone btw???

I am suprised that you didn't lash more out at me in your reply. Usually you throw in some vulgarities and death threats. Are you working on becoming a better Muslima these days???? If so you are on the right path, my dear, God is good. Allah will reward you insha'allah.

marydot
Member # 15932

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:

[Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Who is everyone btw???

I am suprised that you didn't lash more out at me in your reply. Usually you throw in some vulgarities and death threats. Are you working on becoming a better Muslima these days???? If so you are on the right path, my dear, God is good. Allah will reward you insha'allah.

I don't need to lash out at you TL, more and more people are seeing you for what you really are..

Thats pretty shameful for you since you have been a member here for a long time.

No one is going to listen to you now or take

what you say on ES seriously anyone.
Hopefully you get bored and just disappear.

Mud sticks TL!!

Why do you bring islam and Allah into this ?

I have no idea..Maybe you think what you say about islam will offened me, err no !!!

It's not just me you are putting down , its others too, hmmm Guess I was right about you all along, and it beginning to show TL.

Do think twice about submittimg your reply's,cause alot of people on here are getting bored from you!!!!

But you already know this don't you?

marydot
Member # 15932

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:
quote:

[Roll Eyes]

Haha says YOU who as a native German with very limited Arabic skills argues with native Arabic speakers about their own language or even tries to lecture as a non-Muslim Muslims on the Koran???? Holy moly!!!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Honestly you are so full of yourself and a complete joke.

Why you are on here? You can't find in Cairo enough people to argue with, you have to look out for your image in real life and that's why you vent here online? Honestly I truly wonder how you can deal with the daily life in Egypt with so much hate for men in your heart???

[Roll Eyes]

There is one big differences here TL. Dalia is Muslim, you are not!!!

Dalia respects her religion and her privacy here on ES.

It does not matter what nationality a person is when they accept islam, islam is for all people world wide.

I suggest TL you go and google our prophet Mohammed ( peace be upon him) last sermon.

You don't need to use the word Inshallah TL, this means nothing to you, only muslims use this ok!!

So i don't understand why you say this.

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:

You don't need to use the word Inshallah TL, this means nothing to you, only muslims use this ok!!

Arabic speaking Christians also use it, it's Arabic, not specifically owned by Muslims.
marydot
Member # 15932

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:

Arabic speaking Christians also use it, it's Arabic, not specifically owned by Muslims.
Yes Ayisha i do know this, TL is neither Arabic or a muslim, so TL can say to her god whatever she likes.

But why she use's Inshallah I will never understand.

She is not Muslim!!!!!

Whatever she claimed to be thats her choice!!

Nutcase comes to mind..

Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I say it. I was saying it long before I went to Egypt. Watched too many Michael Palin travel programs as a kid, I guess.

Heck, I'm pretty sure I've seen Cheeky say it and I thought she was an aetheist.

You don't have to be from France to speak French. [Confused]

I have heard Muslims say the word "God" from time

Posts: 1678 | From: New Egypt Forum - http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marydot
Member # 15932

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:

[Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Who is everyone btw???

quote:
my dear
Why are you calling everyone dear all of a sudden, who you are argueing with TL strange!!!
marydot
Member # 15932

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:
quote:

[Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Who is everyone btw???

quote:
my dear
Why are you calling everyone dear all of a sudden, who you are argueing with TL strange!!!

quote:
Who is everyone btw???

Keep bashing everyone TL, you will soon get to know who they are!!
marydot
Member # 15932

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Monkey:
I say it. I was saying it long before I went to Egypt. Watched too many Michael Palin travel programs as a kid, I guess.

Heck, I'm pretty sure I've seen Cheeky say it and I thought she was an aetheist.

I must be living on the wrong planet then Monkey, [Big Grin] Ive never heard a non muslim say inshallah [Confused]
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I do say it, but I also say 'christ on a bike' ' for gods sake' and 'for the love of god' [Smile] purely expressions. Hell, I say 'afwan' and not mean it sometimes.
Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh hello [Smile] Yes, you say Christ on a bike a lot [Smile]

What's afwan?

Posts: 1678 | From: New Egypt Forum - http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're welcome.... Trust me, I don't always mean it [Smile]

loads of us expats say inshallah, we live, work and/or socialise daily with Egyptians and language is habitual. I say 'man alive' through habit of socialising with Geordies!!!

No biggy.

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
I remember watching Michael Palin and he commented that Arabs use it a lot. Ever since then that's the one thing I pick out of vocab, and when I went to Egypt 'man alive', it is said A LOT!

It's a nice thing to say, I reckon. Shows a bit of humility. I mean, you can say knock on wood but there's less and less about these days. Does MDF count? [Smile]

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i say alot...hassasayha...thanks to CF [Big Grin] [Wink]
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Haha... Saves me a fortune that word does.
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cheekyferret:
Haha... Saves me a fortune that word does.

[Big Grin] [Wink]
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:

I must be living on the wrong planet then Monkey, [Big Grin] Ive never heard a non muslim say inshallah [Confused]
Not spent much time around Arab speaking non muslims or lived in an Arabic speaking country then. I know Christians, atheist, wiccan an various other sun moon and star worhippers that say it, because they live here where the language is spoken.
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:

You are a liar, she's not.

quote:

You don't need to use the word TL, this means nothing to you, only muslims use this ok!!

Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah

I know I just made your day!!!! [Razz] [Razz] [Razz]

'Inshaallah' is one of the first words you learn when coming to Egypt and even foreigners and non-Muslims use it on a regular basis while dealing with the locals but how would you know - you never went to Egypt and you don't have any interest in the country anyway.

marydot
Member # 15932

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:

You are a liar, she's not.

quote:

You don't need to use the word TL, this means nothing to you, only muslims use this ok!!

Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah Inshaallah

I know I just made your day!!!! [Razz] [Razz] [Razz]

'Inshaallah' is one of the first words you learn when coming to Egypt and even foreigners and non-Muslims use it on a regular basis while dealing with the locals but how would you know - you never went to Egypt and you don't have any interest in the country anyway.

Pathetic attempt TL yet again, you act like a 14 year old on this forum.

quote:
you never went to Egypt and you don't have any interest in the country anyway.
How would you know this, you dont know anything about me.

Err you are beginning to sound like a lunatic, go and get yourself checked out.

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
no pinching, scratching, spitting, biting or hair pulling girls.

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

weirdkitty
Member # 15365

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for weirdkitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm an atheist and often say it, I also say "Jesus christ", "oh my god" and "go to hell".
They are just words, I didn't know words can be banned from people!

--------------------
Another one....

Posts: 2573 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
quote:

can we sucker punch? [Big Grin]
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Chef Mick:
quote:

silly micky, punching is for men, not girlies. [Big Grin]
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Chef Mick:
quote:

silly micky, punching is for men, not girlies. [Big Grin]
but i do [Frown] how about a kick to the face? ( my karate is coming out) [Razz] [Wink]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com