EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Lara Logan - 60 minutes (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Lara Logan - 60 minutes
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for metinoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Monkey:
I can see where you're coming from, to some extent. It's tempting to say "well she shouldn't have been there", but that was her job. So the onus was on her employers to make sure she was safe. They sound utterly clueless BTW. ONE properly trained bodyguard and two drivers standing in as bodyguards? Completely ridiculous. No it isn't right, whatever went on, but if you're placed somewhere in the course of your employment, the onus is on your employers to keep you safe. They did a woeful job by the sounds of things. Security was a joke.

So let's get this straight, you're saying if she'd been freelance, or just a tourist even, and gone there of her own volition, like Ferret did the footie match, she would have brought it on herself?

Last paragraph not at all, but then if she was freelancing she might have not garnered as much ire from the Security Services. She could have gone unnoticed.

Remember her entire crew was attacked, and its difficult to film and gather information is you have more body guards than crew.

The recent newsweek edition or April 27th, had obits for two war journalists (both men) who had died in Libya covering the revolution.

These men had covered Iraq and Afghanistan as well. THere has been very little coverage but men journalists in Afghanistan have been attacked and sodomized with tools. So yes it happens to men too but the media (and the people who consume this media) are not as interested in man on man sexual assualt as the public would be interested in a white pretty woman being assualted in the Middle East.

I don't consider CBS responsible for what happened, I blame the sexual assualants, the criminals who did this.

Posts: 2280 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's odd behaviour though, no? It's not common behaviour for a victim of a sexual assault to go to the media. Often times, women won't even go to the authorities for the precise reason that they don't want the world and his wife talking about something so personal to them, let alone appearing on camera and going into every lurid detail.

Anyway, as another poster said, this morbid fascination is all a kookie in my book so I'll leave you to it if you don't mind.

Posts: 1678 | From: New Egypt Forum - http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I demand to see pictures with date and time stamps on...
Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for metinoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This ongoing rant against Lara Logan reminds me of a specific quote of a Sheik Hilali which of course a number of the same ES usernames who are having a shitfit over Lara Logan are making a similar statement:

Sheik Taj Din al-Hilali, one of Australia's most senior Muslim clerics, compared immodestly-dressed women who do not cover themselves with the Islamic veil with meat that is left uncovered in the street and is then eaten by cats.

He asked another age-old theological question -- "If you take out uncovered meat and place it outside on the street, or in the garden or in the park, or in the backyard without a cover, and the cats come and eat it..whose fault is it -- the cats or the uncovered meat?"

His answer-- "The uncovered meat is the problem."

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/224017/straight_from_the_mullahs_mouth_unveiled_pg2.html

Posts: 2280 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by metinoot:
This ongoing rant against Lara Logan

That no one has bothered with for 6 days [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very unwholesome indeed. Bloomin' bizarre I'd call it.
Posts: 1678 | From: New Egypt Forum - http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:
quote:

And I have been offline for 6 days unlike the rest of you.

I think this is the third thread on Lara Logan, and its been discussed to death since it happened.

Frighteningly more older western women in Egypt or regularly visit Egypt on ES had more interest in the Lara Logan fall out than any other aspect of the rebuilding of the political system in Egypt.

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:
quote:

And I have been offline for 6 days unlike the rest of you.

I think this is the third thread on Lara Logan, and its been discussed to death since it happened.

Frighteningly more older western women in Egypt or regularly visit Egypt on ES had more interest in the Lara Logan fall out than any other aspect of the rebuilding of the political system in Egypt.

Since we have been on ES for the 6 days and NOT bothered about lara bloody logan and you have just come back after 6 days and jumped right back on it shows you have way more interest in discussing it to death than the rest of us have. Boy you really are so dumb! [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo Ning Min E
Member # 681

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mo Ning Min E     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am embarassed to admit I hadn't the faintest idea who Lara Logan is. When I first saw the name I thought she was Batman's girlfriend or something.
Now of course, I realise that she is the sex goddess of choice for at least one or two ladies on here.
Personally, since I never watch CNN - or it it Fox News? I still don't know what the fuss is about, [Confused]
It does seem her account of her unpleasant experience has gathered a lot more apparently tittilating details over the following weeks. To the more sexually grounded among us, it's boring, old news, suspect in fact.
People actually died during that period. Some were imprisoned, and still are, God knows where.Reporters from Al Jazz have been abducted.

Batman's girlfriend and her underwear are trivia in my opinion.

Posts: 1399 | From: alexandria | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo Ning Min E
Member # 681

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mo Ning Min E     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BTW Metinoot. I wondered where you were. Have you been sick or something?
Posts: 1399 | From: alexandria | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mo, you are so right. Reality is folk died, people were maimed, companys went bust and people lost their jobs. Way more important in reality than some bird no one had ever heard of grasping desperately at a bit of fame.

This woman is out the limelight, her 15 minutes of fame expired.

'Older women' ... [Wink] Older than you? That counts a fair few of us out then [Big Grin] Forgive my cheek, I should respect my elders [Wink]

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Cheekyferret:
Mo, you are so right. Reality is folk died, people were maimed, companys went bust and people lost their jobs. Way more important in reality than some bird no one had ever heard of grasping desperately at a bit of fame.

This woman is out the limelight, her 15 minutes of fame expired.

'Older women' ... [Wink] Older than you? That counts a fair few of us out then [Big Grin] Forgive my cheek, I should respect my elders [Wink]

Since Lara Logan is an international war correspondant she has had much more than 15 minutes of fame. Try over a decade.

If she brought this upon herself as you lasses claim, then her "lime light" has been deminished and actually halted her career.

So what you are suggesting is actually ironic and completely backwards.

But that is your normal perspective on most topics isn't it? [Big Grin]

metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Mo Ning Min E:
I am embarassed to admit I hadn't the faintest idea who Lara Logan is. When I first saw the name I thought she was Batman's girlfriend or something.
Now of course, I realise that she is the sex goddess of choice for at least one or two ladies on here.
Personally, since I never watch CNN - or it it Fox News? I still don't know what the fuss is about, [Confused]
It does seem her account of her unpleasant experience has gathered a lot more apparently tittilating details over the following weeks. To the more sexually grounded among us, it's boring, old news, suspect in fact.
People actually died during that period. Some were imprisoned, and still are, God knows where.Reporters from Al Jazz have been abducted.

Batman's girlfriend and her underwear are trivia in my opinion.

THis Lara Logan thing has been briefly discussed on a variety of news media.

Since I am a NPR person I've heard her name brought up about 10 times since this has happened. Mainly to give a time frame to when the main protests occured and right before babaMu stepped down.

Otherwise I think 60 minutes did her interview.

I don't have television at home and don't watch TV much but this episode seems to be more of an interest across the pond than here.

metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Mo Ning Min E:
BTW Metinoot. I wondered where you were. Have you been sick or something?

No I have hobbies. WOrking part time has mushroomed into full time.

Community gardening, and being handed two orphaned bikes means I will also be picking up the "bicycle maintenance" bug too.

Its summer in Minnesota thus this is when people finally get outside and start doing things. Helps that there is no longer 4 foot piles of snow everywhere.

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Mabruk on the new job in bicycle maintenance sono. [Wink]

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Mo Ning Min E
Member # 681

Rate Member
Actually Met, what got this thread a bit niggly wasn't 'us Brits' callously disregarding the tribulations of LL; The only place I read the name was on here [apart from a mention on the BBC ages ago when this assault took place]
During the time you were off gardening one poster here got a little overexcited about the sexual aspects of the incident, spammimg the board with blow-blow [oops no pun intended]details.Made me feel uncomfortable.[Others too I expect]
If this lady is a real journo, not just a tv face, I do hope she doesn't give up her career to become a chatshow victim, even if the pay's better.
I don't think anyone said she brought it on herself, merely that the job does carry risks wherever one is in the world.
'Very Wierd' was suggesting that 'we' didn't care enough because we weren't gorgeous enough to be sexually assaulted - jealous !!!! Somewhat unreconstructed attitude to sexual deviancy eh?

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Yup, Mabrouk in finally finding in a job... hope it isn't too difficult for you.

Ironic the village bike get a bike maintenance job [Wink]

metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
quote:
Yup, Mabrouk in finally finding in a job... hope it isn't too difficult for you.

Ironic the village bike get a bike maintenance job [Wink]

This never ceases to amaze me. How hobbits can turn two entire differently pieces of information into something its not.

My desk job was extended into a full time position, with a promotion and full benefit package.

My hobbies have extended into gardening and bike modification/maintenance which I do on my own time.

Is ES and created twisted gossip the only hobbies you lass hobbits have?

Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
Congrats on the job.

Sincerely,
A. Hobbit

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think part of the issue re Lara Logan is that her case has been used across the media as a sort of 'anti-revolution' propaganda (I have seen on several forums all Egyptians dismissed as beasts as a result undeserving of any change in regime based on this single incident).

I was discussing with an American friend a week or so ago, and I think one of the issues for us Brits is, as MoNing said, we have never heard of her before and her name is a bit 'Superman's Girlfriend' and like it or not, judgments were made based on (a) her name and (b) her attractiveness. (And like it or not, people in Britain are very frequently judged on their physical appearance. Fat birds, for example, rarely apply for senior posts - but that is another story).

However, it turns out she is a very respected American reporter who has been in many war/strife zones before so her report will be given a lot of weight by those who are familiar with her work.

Personally, I am inclined to believe she suffered a very frightening experience - whether at the hands of revolutionaries or baltagaya - who knows!

Yes, of course, it may not be the most important incident of the revolution, but for many in the US (and in other countries) it is a significant face of it - like it or not - and I believe needs to be understood and contextualized.

Think of it a bit this way - when we hear the news on tv in the UK about a mega-disaster somewhere - "28000 people were wiped out including 1 Brit!" or those 'aid' plans where you sponsor a kid in a poor country but actually the money you send is shared in projects supporting families/villages or whatever. People's minds often can't grasp big numbers and need that personalization level to be able to understand what is happening.

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
I am not from a Shire. Please use my correct title 'Lady Ferret'.

OOOo a desk job, I am SO jealous [Wink] And then you go home alone to mend bicycles alone. How many cats do you have?

ES is not my only hobby, I also knock back narcotics that I cannot get here and I also work 8 - 4 everyday as a TA [Wink] hmmm I wonder who made that gossip up... I will give you a clue, it was either me or you and it wasn't me [Wink]

I will give you a few hours to figure it out.

Congrats on the job.

Sincerely,
A. Hobbit
Shireshire.

metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Shanta Gdeeda:
I think part of the issue re Lara Logan is that her case has been used across the media as a sort of 'anti-revolution' propaganda (I have seen on several forums all Egyptians dismissed as beasts as a result undeserving of any change in regime based on this single incident).

I was discussing with an American friend a week or so ago, and I think one of the issues for us Brits is, as MoNing said, we have never heard of her before and her name is a bit 'Superman's Girlfriend' and like it or not, judgments were made based on (a) her name and (b) her attractiveness. (And like it or not, people in Britain are very frequently judged on their physical appearance. Fat birds, for example, rarely apply for senior posts - but that is another story).

However, it turns out she is a very respected American reporter who has been in many war/strife zones before so her report will be given a lot of weight by those who are familiar with her work.

Personally, I am inclined to believe she suffered a very frightening experience - whether at the hands of revolutionaries or baltagaya - who knows!

Yes, of course, it may not be the most important incident of the revolution, but for many in the US (and in other countries) it is a significant face of it - like it or not - and I believe needs to be understood and contextualized.

Think of it a bit this way - when we hear the news on tv in the UK about a mega-disaster somewhere - "28000 people were wiped out including 1 Brit!" or those 'aid' plans where you sponsor a kid in a poor country but actually the money you send is shared in projects supporting families/villages or whatever. People's minds often can't grasp big numbers and need that personalization level to be able to understand what is happening.

I am glad you stated this.

Yet I've noticed with the "throw the dog off the roof" incident, the egyguys who feel justified throwing a dog off a roof because khawagaas love dogs like children, were against the revolution.

I don't see how the LL incident is much different from the dog thrown from the roof incident.

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Shanta Gdeeda:

I am glad you stated this.

Yet I've noticed with the "throw the dog off the roof" incident, the egyguys who feel justified throwing a dog off a roof because khawagaas love dogs like children, were against the revolution.

I don't see how the LL incident is much different from the dog thrown from the roof incident.

[Confused]
Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
Dog from the roof incident was different. There were photos. If there weren't, would we be talking about it?
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
quote:
Dog from the roof incident was different. There were photos. If there weren't, would we be talking about it?

certainly vouyer aren't you?

Maybe there is photos and video footage of the attack, could be the film crew and lara logan don't want something like that released.

Or the photos/video footage is in a Security Services unknown bunker, why not confiscate proof of their crime?

And why would you want to watch a sexual assault that went on for an extend period of time? You enjoy watching such an act?

Why isn't the first hand accounts of persons who were actually there proof enough?

You certainly do have morbid inclinations.

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:

Maybe there is photos and video footage of the attack, could be the film crew and lara logan don't want something like that released.

Or the photos/video footage is in a Security Services unknown bunker, why not confiscate proof of their crime?

And why would you want to watch a sexual assault that went on for an extend period of time? You enjoy watching such an act?

Why isn't the first hand accounts of persons who were actually there proof enough?

You certainly do have morbid inclinations.

I thought it was claimed people were taking photos of this alleged attack, but none have showed up anywhere. Bit odd, and no security didn't confiscate everyones camera phones. [Roll Eyes]
Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
Holy guacamole, Batman! You've been harping on about this now for HOW many months? [Eek!] Ressurected this thread how many times? And I'm a voyeur?

As another poster said, in the interview Lara Logan states there were a million flashes - so where are the photos? Coz if the dog guys will do that for a camera filming themselves in an easily identifiable building, you can bet that one of those men in the attack would have had the audacity to post something on Youtube - or - more likely - sell it. I suggest you and VW get your butts over there see what you can find to titilate yourselves with. Come to think of it, where is VW? Ah...

Khalas. Meshi, meshi. [Roll Eyes]

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
ROFL sono has obviously watched anything she can on her hero Lara and has the gall to call someone else a voyeur. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

I suppose in a court anyone viewing photos of a crime are voyeurs too?

what a plonker, you really should engage your braincell before typing sono, but then you wouldn't be so amusing. [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
The curious incident of the dog on the roofop actually did the rounds on Facebook... I never had to search that, it was thrown in front of me. As I stated to a member on here before, I never opened the link though as I heard it was graphic and disturbing.

I don't recall the mysterious incident of an unknown blonde in Tahrir being shared at all.

Perhaps the entire planet are conspiring against Sono!

metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
quote:
The curious incident of the dog on the roofop actually did the rounds on Facebook... I never had to search that, it was thrown in front of me. As I stated to a member on here before, I never opened the link though as I heard it was graphic and disturbing.

I don't recall the mysterious incident of an unknown blonde in Tahrir being shared at all.

No I think a number of the usual ESers want to get their rocks off watching a "blonde" be sexually assualted.

Which is frightening.

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Shame there is no footage for them to see then really!!!

Back to square 1, again!

Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
Don't it make you laugh when people do the "" thing? Are you applying cynicism now as to whether Lara Logan is a natural blonde? Otherwise why are you ""ing? Ooh, ooh. I know. lets have a three page argument about it were you can call us all fatties and tell us about your highpowered ex relations. Second thoughts, lets not.

You're a ""er in real life aren't you. Thought so.

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:

No I think a number of the usual ESers want to get their rocks off watching a "blonde" be sexually assualted.

Which is frightening.

How sick you are is frightening.

I'm off to bed. [Roll Eyes]

Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Come to think of it, where is VW?

Probably downloading all the Scooby Doo she can get from that nutter on the music and movies thread. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Yeah, why ""?

Scooby Doo... do Christians believe in Ghosts?

Pesky kids!

metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
quote:

Back to square 1, again!

You assume there is no footage.

And you are also disregarding medical doctor's report of assualt.

Then again high learning is not a personal pursuit of yours now is it?

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

Back to square 1, again!

Assualt... need I say more [Wink]
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Back to square 1, again!

Assualt... need I say more [Wink]
and you are the one having trouble getting your work visa renewed under the new administration.... qualifications under review and not meeting the guidelines? ha ha ha ha ha
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Am I? Crikey, I did learn something from you... Although you must have missed it last month where I talked about my Mogamma visit [Big Grin]

Sweetie, I qualify now for a visa just like I did way back when [Wink] ah, you are clueless 'ha ha ha ha ha ha'

And God, if you think that any kinda new guidelines are enforced yet then, impossible as it may seem, you really are as stupid as you look!

Right, I should sleep, I think schools open for us TAs in a few hours [Wink] besides, my hubby will be pissed if I don't go keep him company [Smile]

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

results of how many years in college/uni?? [Confused]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com