EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Christian Egyptian men

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Christian Egyptian men
g718
Member # 1944

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for g718     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi can anyone give me feedback on Christian Egyptian men? I believe Christian Egyptians are few and far between. I have met an incredible, respectful, smart and kind man. He is very sincere. Please respond. Thank you.
Posts: 8 | From: ny,ny,USA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jennifer
Member # 1443

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jennifer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you mean Coptic or other Christian?
Posts: 322 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
g718
Member # 1944

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for g718     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jennifer:
Do you mean Coptic or other Christian?

Orthodox Christian. Thank you

Posts: 8 | From: ny,ny,USA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kimo_the_maniac
Member # 1761

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kimo_the_maniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What do you mean Coptic OR Christian Jennifer, Copts ARE Christians!!!!
If you mean Coptic Orthodox, then no they are not few or far between, they are 15% of Egypt's pop. that's over 7million!
If you mean non-Coptic Orthodox, or non-Orthodox Christians then yes they are few and far between.
As to respect and all that stuff then yes many Coptic men like Coptic women like muslim men like muslim women are "incredible, respectful, smart and kind", many are not!
I think I don't understand your question.

Posts: 850 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jennifer
Member # 1443

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jennifer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kimo, would you read my post again please before yelling at me? I said, "Coptic or OTHER Christian."
I would agree with you, however, that the original question is still very vague.

Posts: 322 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
g718
Member # 1944

Rate Member

I would agree with you, however, that the original question is still very vague.[/B][/QUOTE]
Hello everyone. I am sorry for the confusion. I just wanted feedback on what the Egyptian Christian Orthodox man is like. He lives in the U.S.A. Some of his beliefs are similar to the Catholic faith. Are the allowed to marry outside of their faith? Just looking for general feedback, opinions. thank you g718

strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Out of curiosity g718, why don't you ask the man, himself, these questions? It would seem that they are not soooo personal that it should cause an embarassing situation to ask him. You are simply getting to know a bit about him and his religion. I am afraid that any general comments made here about Christian Orthodox men might just serve to confuse the issue and give you information that might not apply to this one man exactly. Your guy might be quite different having lived in the USA than any of the Christian Orthodox men living only in Egypt.

Something to know too is that Egyptians don't shy away from religious conversations the way most Americans do. If he has been raised in Egypt, he will probably be very happy to tell you all about his religion. Complete strangers in Egypt will ask me what religion I am and want to talk about it, so don't be shy to talk religion with him at all. He will probably be pleasantly surprised that you brought up the subject.

[This message has been edited by Debbie (edited 02 April 2003).]

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daria
Member # 1961

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daria   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All the people are different, but i'm really agree with you about respectfulness, sincerity and high level of culture of Coptic people. When you communicate with them later you feel that you got only positive emotions from communication with that people, no matter - it is your friend, close person or even absolutely unknown person.

Posts: 13 | From: Egypt - Ukraine | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
g718
Member # 1944

Rate Member
any general comments made here about Christian Orthodox men might just serve to confuse the issue and give you information that might not apply to this one man exactly. Your guy might be quite different having lived in the USA than any of the Christian Orthodox men living only in Egypt.
thanks for the feedback. You are right I will ask him directly.

Miss Sarajevo
Member # 999

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miss Sarajevo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by g718:
Hello everyone. I am sorry for the confusion. I just wanted feedback on what the Egyptian Christian Orthodox man is like. He lives in the U.S.A. Some of his beliefs are similar to the Catholic faith. Are the allowed to marry outside of their faith? Just looking for general feedback, opinions. thank you g718

Hello g718,

I just finished research at my University on the same topic as your question. Egyptian Christian Orthodoxy is actually very similar to Catholic faith. You are right. It's very philosophical though. It differs in the beliefs of Trinity, and beliefs about Mary. That's all, everything else is basically same, and because of this differences their Churches look different inside. All differences came in "understanding" of Trinity, Jesus and Mary.

Arianism is the heresy that the Son of God was a creature of like, but not of the same, substance as God the Father. Arianism was a Christian heresy first proposed early in the 4th century by Arius. Arius was a priest of Alexandria, Egypt. He said that Christ was created therefore Chirst is not eternal, and he is different from the Father. Arius believed that Christ is not truly divine but a created being. Arius made the points about the uniqueness of God, who is alone self-existent and immutable. The Son, who is not self-existent, cannot be God. Athanasius, in the other hand claimed that the Son is EQUAL to the Father, they are of the same substance, Son is the God, God incarnated into the Jesus and therefore Jesus was God. Mary who gave birth to Jesus is automatically the mother of Jesus, and therefore mother of God.

Bishop Alexander of Alexnadria and Athanasius believed there were 3 Gods in 1. If you heard of Councul of Nicea which was attaneded by 318 Church Fathers to decide about this issues. The point was that there were 2 concepts, is the Christ of the SAME substance with Father. Arius thought that the Father, Son and Holy Spirit were materially SEPERATE from each other, and that the Father created the Son. He believed IF the Son were equal to the Father, there would be more then 1 God...etc....At the end they had the Council of Chalcedon and brought up definition which states
that Jesus is indeed Logos incarnate, the very son of God, he is one person or "hypostasis" human and divine at the same time. The Son of God and the Son of Mary is one and the same person...etc...

In regards of culture, you have here many discussion on this topic. If he lives in USA, he may differ from the people who actually live in Egypt, but maybe not, it all depends.
------------------

Ok here is something that maybe of your interest that reflect a little more your question.

I think that the Roman Catholic Church will marry you to a Copt, in which case, he can have communion in the Coptic Church, but you would not be able to. He would be able to be communicated in the Catholic Church, but this would imply in one way or another him leaving the Coptic Church (at least temporarily). However, the Coptic Church will not marry a Copt and a Roman Catholic, although again, if you get married in the Roman Catholic Church, the Coptic Church will still communicate your husband-to-be, but not you, unfortunately.

Good luck.

Miss Sarajevo

[This message has been edited by Miss Sarajevo (edited 07 April 2003).]

Posts: 1590 | From: Usa | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
g718
Member # 1944

Rate Member
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Miss Sarajevo:
[B] Hello g718,

I just finished research at my University on the same topic as your question. Egyptian Christian Orthodoxy is actually very similar to Catholic faith. etc...

Miss Sarajevo,
thank you thank you so much. This information is exactly what I was looking for. I also appreciate you giving me the info on marriage between the two religions. Just curious, what is your major? Thank you again.
g718

cherry
Member # 1917

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cherry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by g718:
Hi can anyone give me feedback on Christian Egyptian men? I believe Christian Egyptians are few and far between. I have met an incredible, respectful, smart and kind man. He is very sincere. Please respond. Thank you.

Can I ask where you met him??

Posts: 12 | From: Indianapolis, Indiana USA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Feline
Member # 3818

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Feline     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have recently met a christian man who was born in Alexandria and has been in the US for 30 years.

I have never dated anyone from another culture before and am very ignorant regaring his culture.

We recently met on an online dating site. He is 47, divorced for the first time 12 years ago, and has no children. I am 41, Baptist, and have never been married with no children.

He is highly educated and successful and I am a highly educated financially independent woman who was born and raised in the American South with a long southern heritage. He said that he loves the south and has always dreamed of having a southern woman as a mate.

We both are looking for our soul mates and strongly desire to start a family. We both realize that time is running out given our ages and we have talked about this.

He is so totally different from the american born men that I have dated, that it is both confusing and overwhelming.

He seems to hold me in a much higher regard than the other men that I have dated and is more emotional and serious about the relationship. He says that a man should "cherish his wife" and that finding the right person is "like finding the other half of yourself and being without that person is as unimaginable as having a limb removed."

Believe me he is a refreshing change from the men that I have dated, but I am confused as to whether this is just a lot of bull or if he is sincere. I know that if an American born male told me these things, I wouldn't believe him.

I have heard, and he says, that Mediterraen men are naturally more emotional and amorous than American men. But since I have never dated one, I don't know if this is a common trait.

I don't think that he is saying all of this just to have sex as that is not going to happen until we establish a deep, comitted relationship.

I would deeply appreciate any help that anyone could give me because I am completely clueless.

Thank you,
Feline

Posts: 3 | From: atlanta, ga usa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rula
Member # 3840

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
d
Posts: 4 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demiana
Member # 2710

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Demiana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Feline,

In my church in Amsterdam is a couple where she comes from a Baptism church and they go well together. She calls herselve a Coptic orthodox Baptist. And since we have to be baptized again, if that is no problem to you it will be allright. I always recognize so many things from my christian background in this church, but richer and more as if we not have split in catholicisme and all these sorts of protestantisme and the copts even have living reminders of the Jewish roots of christianism and of course theme's of faraonic times. Although the church is in ways conservative, about homosexuality and women, I can be there too (here in Amsterdam) and have good times.

Posts: 1419 | From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demiana
Member # 2710

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Demiana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Feline,

I do have to add something here. As others stated above, you need to talk to him and find out who he is. Probably get to know his family and friends. And you don't have that much time.
I found with my dh (also from Alexandria) that in the end he had very unrealistic ideas about marriage. To him it ended up like being one person having one opinion (his). We were in very serious trouble last year to the extend that he was (physically) threatening us all (me and kids) because we were not exactly as he wanted us to be (it is always about him). He had no clue about the phenomenon of ' emotional blackmail' with which he tried to get us in line (as his mother tries to get him in line). And this was a very charming men to begin with. I played all the registers and now a year later I do have some hope that I can cope with this but then he is also clueless about the worth of getting help in this matters (so I press buttons at his gp and at the churchfather). I believe it to be a personality disorder promoted and tolerated by his culture.
I learned to know my father in law who was a very poetic men, as was his brother (they both died), they can talk to you in lyrics just for the fun of it (' the sky of Alexandria is lightning up whenever you arrive' sort of things) and I believe that to be a very charming part of their culture.
But then I do mistrust the idea of soulmates too. You keep being different persons and so it should be. But I must admit my dh to be a great familyman. We have this family together and therefore I fight for our marriage.

Posts: 1419 | From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EgyptianDoc77
Member # 3777

Icon 10 posted      Profile for EgyptianDoc77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Demiana:
Feline,

they can talk to you in lyrics just for the fun of it (' the sky of Alexandria is lightning up whenever you arrive' sort of things

i really do wish everyone much happiness in life, uve had a good deal of replies now feline..time to decide up upon ur next step and may god bless ur steps

------------------
Dr.M.Lotfy
Resident Doctor of Dermatology & Andrology

Posts: 689 | From: Miami Beach, FL | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymon
Member # 3727

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Miss Sarajevo,
Athanasius did not believe in 3 Gods in One. There is not mention what so ever of "3 Gods" in Coptic Christian history, yet three aspects of one God, or what is called in Arabic "3 Akaniem."

------------------

Raymon www.youregypt.com

Posts: 288 | From: Egypt | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
south_london_male
Member # 3917

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for south_london_male   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have not read all the post but for kimo-... there are very common misunderstanding about whos are the coptics.. coptics are not only the egyptian christains... Coptics are the race of the egyptians...both muslims and christians( orsozox, catholic..etc ) in egypt are coptic... Also Coptic langauge was the language used in ancient Egypt when christianty was introduce to Egypt .. then when Islam came to Egypt and most of the christian people converted to Islam and also there was many egyptian who does not belive in God at all entred to isalm ,, and for many generations the coptic language remained in usage in Egypt .. but after some time when the arabic language been the official language and also because of the majority pf the population became muslims.. then arabic became the first lanaguse in Egypt... the story of calling the christain are the only coptic in Egypt is not historically true. Any muslim in egypt can call him soptic same as any christian can call himself same thing
Mohsen

Posts: 1373 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com