EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » HIJAB ADVICE

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: HIJAB ADVICE
Lori
Member # 2390

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lori     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there any advice for women who want to learn how to tie a hijab elegantly?

I am sometimes amazed at the skill with which women tie their scarves and manage to look cool, elegant and really beautiful.

Any help? Please

Posts: 251 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lori, I have a similar problem!!
My problem is European hair, very fine and slippery, ,, no matter how firm it is when I leave the house, it ALWAYS slides!!
I'm open to suggestion too!!

[This message has been edited by Samia (edited 01 September 2004).]

Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You need to be careful about the material you use, some is more slippery than others. If you insist on using a slippery material, because that’s the one you want to wear, then you could wear a small non-slip cotton triangle tied underneath, like a bandana which may or may not be showing. Other than that you need to learn to use pins discretely!

If you check around the internet I wouldn’t be surprised if you didn’t find some sites that show you how to tie them as I know that there are some books out there in English that show you how.

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sumayyah
Member # 5009

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sumayyah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Slippery sliding hijaab? I understand completely! I find the best way is to tie a cloth/bandana type of material around your hairline round to the back of your head - to keep your hair out of the way all day long.
Then simply get the hijaab (mine are triangular in shape) and I usually fasten it under my chin (tiny safety pin). The ends can be tucked under, left to dangle, flipped over - whatever..

I know some ladies who use rectangular hijaabs, they tie it by literally wrapping it around their head [starting from the jaw, taking it over the head to the other side, under the chin and then back round again] and finishing off by either tucking it in, or fastening it with a safety pin.

Hope that helps,

quote:
Originally posted by Samia:
Lori, I have a similar problem!!
My problem is European hair, very fine and slippery, ,, no matter how firm it is when I leave the house, it ALWAYS slides!!
I'm open to suggestion too!!

[This message has been edited by Samia (edited 01 September 2004).]

Posts: 28 | From: England | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shareefa
Member # 5033

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shareefa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Girls, you should see how we wear our hijabs in the UAE - very elegant! The point is to comb your hair back, tie it into a ponytail and start putting the headscarf in the middle of your head so that part of your front hair sticks out. Leave one part of the scarf longer at one end so that you can wrap it around your head a second time and let that end hand lose - fix it with a needle (I always use a pearl needle). Looks great and fashionable.
Posts: 225 | From: United Arab Emirates | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shareefa
Member # 5033

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shareefa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, a typo - I meant hang lose, not hand lose!
Posts: 225 | From: United Arab Emirates | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Assalamu alaykum!

Just a couple of points Shareefa, if you’re wearing hijab as hijab rather than as a fashion accessory, it should actually cover all of your hair as this is one of the requirements. Also I wasn’t sure about your description of how you were suggesting to wear a ponytail, but there are some scholars that say that if you tie your hair back you should not put it on the top of your head so that it creates a visible lump, as this is what was referred to in one of the hadith about the signs of the coming of the day of judgement that says that that women will be wearing their hair on the top of their heads like a camel's hump, and it should therefore be avoided. Just a couple of things to consider!

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lori:

I am sometimes amazed at the skill with which women tie their scarves and manage to look cool, elegant and really beautiful.

Any help? Please

Umm ... I remember you posted that question twice on ET and recieved lots of answers including some links.

Anyhow ... what really bothers me on that rare occasions that I wear a headscarf is not the fabric on the head - that's actually quite pleasant in summer to protect your head from the heat - but the part that covers your throat. No matter how lose it is, it always feels too hot and makes me feel like I'm going to suffocate.

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Hi Dalia!

I find the same with any restrictive, tight clothing in the summer, but that’s the only way to make sure that some items of clothing are secured and don’t fall off and cause embarrassment! If you wear a scarf all the time you just get on with it and after a while you forget about the tight spots.

Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by newcomer:
Hi Dalia!

I find the same with any restrictive, tight clothing in the summer, but that’s the only way to make sure that some items of clothing are secured and don’t fall off and cause embarrassment!

I can't stand any kind of tight clothing, never could, even when I was much younger, and I could never get used to it. I can't wear turtlenecks or pants with tight waistlines, let alone bras.

I guess it's a personal thing, I know people who wear tight jeans in their home and say they don't notice. Others say - like you - that they simply get used to certain things and don't notice them any more.

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kimo_the_maniac
Member # 1761

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for kimo_the_maniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gals, question. Why is it that girls who wear hijab seem to be deaf or something? I mean when you wear it over your ears does it make hearing a bit harder?
Posts: 850 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Perhaps it just helps us to focus on what is worth listening to
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kimo, would you repeat what you said please, I couldn't hear you.
Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kimo_the_maniac
Member # 1761

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for kimo_the_maniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Laura:
Kimo, would you repeat what you said please, I couldn't hear you.

GALS, QUESTION. WHY IS IT THAT GIRLS WHO...

Oh, forget it, it's no use... women!

(Let's see how far I can go without being bashed by Islamic feminists.)

Posts: 850 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lori
Member # 2390

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lori     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dalia:
Umm ... I remember you posted that question twice on ET and recieved lots of answers including some links. [/B]

Yes well Dalia, in case you haven't noticed - were you not Admin on ET? - anyway since the fight in ET started, some people thought it was fun to remove / ban others, and /or to post as them, insults to other members or self-accusations. This happened to me too.

I am touched you remember about that thread, but I can't find it, perhaps it was in the HL to which I have no access anymore. Now if YOU could help ...

Posts: 251 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, Lori, I have not noticed.

Despite being an admin over there I happen to have a life outside ET and I just came back from a few days' trip to the northcoast .

Before I left there was only one person banning and deleting members - from what I gather it seems there were more of them but I can't find any evidence. And, quite frankly, most of the things I read when browsing ET this morning don't make any sense to me at all, so I can't be bothered to read up on all of this.

I saw you are listed as an HL member, so why shouldn't you be able to access it?

Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Lori,

The women I know that wear Hijab/head scarf always tie their hair with a full lace cap, and that keeps the Hijab in place. Some of those caps are Syrian made caps, and even have a space in the back for a bun or ponytail.

Salam girl!

quote:

Any help? Please

Posts: 2385 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lori
Member # 2390

Rate Member
quote:
No, Lori, I have not noticed.

Despite being an admin over there I happen to have a life outside ET and I just came back from a few days' trip to the northcoast .

I saw you are listed as an HL member, so why shouldn't you be able to access it?

Dalia, at the time I posted this message I was already banned from ET.

I did not mean to imply you have no life outside ET, I was just glad I could reach out to someone who could - potentially - help me understand what was going on in ET.
Please do not take it personally.

Does it bother you that I posted something about hijab for the second time? Why? I noticed you also mantioned in ET something about a subject having been discussed before, on cats and dogs on the street.

I have no perfect memory and frankly a lot of subjects are repeated here over and over. Is that bad? Inefficient use of information? I don't know. But no one ever says anything about story #5524 on Egyptian men and foreign women, same as it almost always is, so I guess it's okay to have an imperfect memory every once in a while. Geez!

Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
quote:
Does it bother you that I posted something about hijab for the second time? Why? I noticed you also mantioned in ET something about a subject having been discussed before, on cats and dogs on the street.

I have no perfect memory and frankly a lot of subjects are repeated here over and over. Is that bad? Inefficient use of information? I don't know.

The guy who posted the subject of cats and dogs on ET is a new member, so he probably hasn't read the other thread, that's why I pointed it out to him. I also happen to know him in real life, so I thought he might be genuinely interested.

Noone can remember everything he / she read on any of those boards, that's true. I seem to have a pretty good memory of subjects ... don't know why. But what bothers me sometimes - as in the case with your hijab question, which you actually posted for the third and not the second time - is this:

People take their time to reply, maybe even to dig out a link they have stored somewhere on their harddisk in order to forward information and be helpful. Then the person who originally posted the question (you in this case) makes it pretty obvious that she / he has not particularly bothered to read the replies. That's fine, maybe they were helpful for anyone else or made for an interesting discussion, as is the nature of threads on those boards. But when you then reappear a while later with the same question again I wouldn't want to repeat everything I already wrote before. Thus my comment

Lori
Member # 2390

Rate Member
Dear Dalia, I know you know a lot on the subject. It just seemed you were irritated of me bringing it up again. NOW I realize you tried to be helpful, but initially your message could be read as "are you daft? I already told you a million times!"

Yes I remember the replies but I guess the secret lies in someone SHOWING to you LIVE how to do it, and then you doing it yourself until you get the hang of it.

A couple of friends have actually tied a hijab on me but I did not like the look and am sure can do better. I still have not got the hang of doing it. And you know what? I don't feel the least bit guilty.

If you don't feel like digging the stuff out again, it gives other people the opportunity to shine

cheers!

Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
quote:
Dear Dalia, I know you know a lot on the subject.

LOL ... if you had bothered to read my posts you would know that I DON'T know a lot on the subject.

Lori
Member # 2390

Rate Member
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lori:
[b]Dear Dalia, I know you know a lot on the subject.

LOL ... if you had bothered to read my posts you would know that I DON'T know a lot on the subject.
[/B][/QUOTE]

Well if you don't know a lot on the subject then why should I bother to read your posts?

Not only you kill the existing thread, but you also send others to read old posts with no value in them, as you declare? With friendly help like this who needs topic destroyers huh.

I am trying to be nice here and you are just biting back remarks like a Doberman with PMS. Chill out will you

Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Where did I declare that the threads had "no value" in them?

I know a bit about the subject because, just like you, I wanted to know at a certain point how to tie a hijab elegantly, that's all.

quote:
I am trying to be nice here and you are just biting back remarks like a Doberman with PMS.

Tsk tsk ... no need to be so aggressive, lady.

Lori
Member # 2390

Rate Member
quote:
I know a bit about the subject because, just like you, I wanted to know at a certain point how to tie a hijab elegantly, that's all.

So you feel that it was your idea to find out about hijab and therefore your words in that older thread should be engraved for posterity, and no one else allowed to add to that. That's why I ask the girls a question and instead I get you to tell the board - indirectly - why post she won't read it anyway.

It goes to show the Carnegie principle that people would do anything for a feeling of self-importance.

I want an Egyptian lady to advise me how to tie the hijab. Someone who has been tying her hijab for a long time and knows all the styles. And I will post the exactly same thread wherever I want and for as many times as I want, until I get a competent answer.

Don't worry, if I get good advice via e-mail I will generously post it so everyone can benefit from my aquired experience

Marianne
Member # 2179

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Marianne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First I'd like to say that one should take into consideration the design, colour and material of the hijab.
I've noticed thin one always look elegant.

Always choose bright colours in summer. White or pale blue.

Dalia,
Allow me to ask you why do you think it is bad Lori started a thread about hijab again?
She posted once on ET and perhaps she didn't get the answears she wanted. I see nothing annoying in the fact she decided to ask that same question in a different forum.

I remember some ET members were interested in this subject and I guess they are also interested here in ES as well.

After all this an important and interesting part of Egyptian women culture that is why it should be mentioned whenever someone wishes and I'm sure there are many Egyptian women who would be glad to give their advices.

Posts: 72 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
maybe Lori should specify she's only interested in hearing answers that require her criteria next time. IE " I want an Egyptian lady to advise me how to tie the hijab. Someone who has been tying her hijab for a long time and knows all the styles. And I will post the exactly same thread wherever I want and for as many times as I want, until I get a competent answer. "

This way poor helpful NON-egyptians like Dalia who take the time to respond to her thread (and have their responses be completely ignored) can ignore Lori's questions next time instead of trying to be helpful, as best they can.

And Lori, given the way you ranted to Kimo that one time the thread you happen to respond to got deleted about why you should bother to ever respond if your thread gets deleted....er....I would think you of all people could understand why another poster would feel frustrated if she answered you and got completely ignored.

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elmagnoon
Member # 4199

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for elmagnoon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You people are a nightmare.

Lori, why in the wrold do you want to wear a Hijab. Are you the same Lori on ET.. yo never believed in Islam.....am I right.
Why exactly do you want to wear Hijab?

Posts: 343 | From: Magnoon Land | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lori
Member # 2390

Rate Member
Marianne and Samia,
Thank you! Finally an answer.

You mention a light color. These are fine in summer.

How about in the - now coming - autumn?
Are bright colors - orange, for example - OK?

From what I've seen many women just wear black.

Do you know who wears black and why?
And in which countries is face covering necessary?

Thank you!

[This message has been edited by Lori (edited 07 September 2004).]

Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lori I hope this helps: many wear a laced cap under the scarf, and that way the scarf stays in place.

About the latest colours, I know that fall colours like rust and gold and burgundy are out.
Black may be a preference to some.

A lot of women that are not Muslim, in Egypt, wear a scarf as they enter the church for example...or some prefer to wear the scarf in the evening, if it is windy for example in Alexandria.

quote:
Marianne and Samia,
Thank you! Finally an answer.

You mention a light color. These are fine in summer.

How about in the - now coming - autumn?
Are bright colors - orange, for example - OK?

From what I've seen many women just wear black.

Do you know who wears black and why?
And in which countries is face covering necessary?

Thank you!

[This message has been edited by Lori (edited 07 September 2004).]

Posts: 2385 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Monica:
A lot of women that are not Muslim, in Egypt, wear a scarf as they enter the church for example...or some prefer to wear the scarf in the evening, if it is windy for example in Alexandria.

... or if they don't want to get harrassed.

esposible
Member # 2955

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for esposible     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.almuhajabat.com/howtowearhijab.html
Posts: 75 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BM ® Bazoka machine
Member # 12757

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for BM ® Bazoka machine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Assalamu alaykum!

Just a couple of points Shareefa, if you’re wearing hijab as hijab rather than as a fashion accessory, it should actually cover all of your hair as this is one of the requirements. Also I wasn’t sure about your description of how you were suggesting to wear a ponytail, but there are some scholars that say that if you tie your hair back you should not put it on the top of your head so that it creates a visible lump, as this is what was referred to in one of the hadith about the signs of the coming of the day of judgement that says that that women will be wearing their hair on the top of their heads like a camel's hump, and it should therefore be avoided. Just a couple of things to consider!

thumb up NC
Posts: 126 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hibbah
Member # 12156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hibbah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nooo way,
when i was in dubai this december, every single girl had her hijabtied like that. it freaked the hell out of me, they looked they were roosters. I mean, litteraly on top of the head. but they dont call it hijab, they call it shayla.

and how can hijab slip. when i used to wear it, i always had a safety pin under my chin, it would never slip.

Posts: 1967 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
magnona777
Member # 12466

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for magnona777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OooooooooOOOOOooooooo.. how did I miss a good Hijab thread??!!! the Best way is to sit infront of the mirror and get creative.. Different Texture cloth.. colors.. Thin scarfs are good if you wanna wrap a few.. layer.. and if you have soft fine european hair.. Always wear a underscarf.. but you can make underscarf a part of you accessory.. ALSO old brooch pins are Perfect
Posts: 431 | From: beantown | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for al-Kahina   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BM ® Bazoka machine:
quote:
Assalamu alaykum!

thumb up NC
I see alot of Somali women wearing their hair underneath their scarfs in this manner.

What I can't understand is whenever something is fashionable specifically for Muslimahs there are several fatwas against it.

Now I understand why Saudi women walk around in black tents. [Roll Eyes]

Yet I have yet to find one fatwa declaring fashion or western fashions haram for men!

Its not so much the Final Prophet (PBUH) dictating this bias, but the leaders of the Ulma who came after him.

I just can't understand why just about everything a woman enjoys or something women share (sisterhood) is riddled with fatwas.

Posts: 3168 | From: If you don't like it, don't look or read it! | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mme. Godiva:
I see alot of Somali women wearing their hair underneath their scarfs in this manner.

Most Turkish women wear it like that as well.
Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mme. Godiva:
Yet I have yet to find one fatwa declaring fashion or western fashions haram for men!

Imitation of the kuffaar means imitating their clothing and appearance, and the customs that are unique to them. It does not mean that we should not ride what they ride or wear what they wear. But if they ride in a specific way that is unique to them, then we should not ride in that way. If they tailor their clothes in a certain fashion that is unique to them, we should not do likewise. But if we have cars that are similar to theirs and fabric that is similar to theirs, there is nothing wrong with that.

Ruling on imitating the Kuffaar

What are the garments of the kuffaar that we are forbidden to wear?

But I agree with you, there seems to be more pressure on women regarding the "Western clothes". It always irritates me a bit when I see a woman completely covered, niqab, gloves and all and her husband is wearing tight jeans, sneakers and a trendy jacket.

Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
So This Is It
Member # 12893

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for So This Is It     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I'm glad to see this post, as well. While making decisions on how I will dress in my husband's town, it helps to have as much information as possible!
Posts: 20 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com