EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Luxor Schools - Help!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Luxor Schools - Help!!!
claire_1237
Member # 3724

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for claire_1237     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Morning,

I need a bit of help from you people in Luxor!!

An English friend of mine in the UK, married to a Luxor Egyptian for a number of years has decided to move back to Luxor. This will be a trial with a view to live there permanently.

They have a four year old little boy who is bilingual but obviously has not yet started school. One of the things that they will be looking into is schooling, the intention is to send him to a private school in Luxor as opposed to a Government run school.

I know of one private school, the El Salam Language school, but would be interested if anybody has further details about it. What is considered to be the best Private school in Luxor? Does anybody know if these type of schools offer extra curricular activities?

I have also heard that the Sunshine Orphanage run a nursery school open to children outside of the orphanage. Once again, does anybody know anything about the standard of this nursery?

I have visited the Orphanage before, encountered a number of the children and always been impressed by their excellent English. Does anybody know what school these children attend?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. LL - I know you have some experience within Education so would be interested in your comments.

Many thanks

[This message has been edited by claire_1237 (edited 04 September 2004).]

Posts: 81 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know that much about education for younger children but I have an English friend here (Egyptian husband) who has a five year old daugher and they want her to have the best they can find too. I know that she is in a nursery school getting ready to join school fully when she is 6 years old.

I will ask my friend where she sends her daughter and let you know as soon as I hear from her.

Until the child is in its early teens I think that your friend will be able to make up any shortfall in the child's education. She can bring the National Curriculum books out with her and treach extra bits each day. Once she gets to the examination stage it will depend on the level of your friend's own education as to how much she can add.

In the government schools there is an over-dependence on rote learning and then again there is the language barrier so, if it can be afforded, I would recommend a private education.

As far as I am aware all the Private Schools are on the East Bank.

Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
claire_1237
Member # 3724

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for claire_1237     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks LL that was really useful.
She has a degree and I know that she intends to supplement his schooling with additional home studies.

I would be very interested in hearing about your friends experiences with the nursery. Does anybody have a rough idea of costs for Private Education in Luxor? I know that in Cairo the International schools which cover a UK or US curriculum are very expensive. I wouldn't imagine that the Luxor Private schools have such high fees.

Posts: 81 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My friend can manage the fees and she has an Egyptian husband and no income of her own so they are not high.

I have not forgotten your question, it is just that I have not seen her for a couple of days to ask her about her daughter.

In the meantime your friend can start having a look at the books that would cover the first few years of schooling. e they do not start until they are 6, which puts the children a bit behind their European counterparts.

Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com