EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » What's your favourite restaurant in Egypt?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What's your favourite restaurant in Egypt?
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

As you can see I am thinking much about food tonight (and its not because I am on a diet ).

Anyway, did you live or do you live in Egypt (anywhere it doesn't matter) and have a certain restaurant you would like to recommend to us?

Please feel free to post the name of the restaurant, the location, what kind of food they are offering and why do you like it there so much. What's your favourite dish?

Give your favourite food place a free advertisement!

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dreamcatcher
Member # 3938

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dreamcatcher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:

As you can see I am thinking much about food tonight (and its not because I am on a diet ).

Anyway, did you live or do you live in Egypt (anywhere it doesn't matter) and have a certain restaurant you would like to recommend to us?

Please feel free to post the name of the restaurant, the location, what kind of food they are offering and why do you like it there so much. What's your favourite dish?

Posts: 286 | From: south africa | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shareen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Easy! Tutankhamuns........ Luxor West Bank..... egyptian food, no menu, you just have whatever he has cooked and it usually includes his world famous chicken curry (which I dont normally have lol).... fabulous views across the Nile...... but no beer, but thats just fine...... his food is worth it!
Posts: 1196 | From: www.spiritofthenile.com | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TDP
Member # 5440

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TDP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shareen:
Easy! Tutankhamuns........ Luxor West Bank..... egyptian food, no menu, you just have whatever he has cooked and it usually includes his world famous chicken curry (which I dont normally have lol).... fabulous views across the Nile...... but no beer, but thats just fine...... his food is worth it!

I am back in january I will definately try that place as I am staying on the westbank. Thanks

Posts: 260 | From: uk | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TDP
Member # 5440

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for TDP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jems on the Eastbank is good. Great food and very friendly. I love babanouch!(not sure thats how its spelt!)
Posts: 260 | From: uk | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Yes agree I went there for a meal the other day and he had a fab courgette and cheese bake, to die for. His chickean curry mmmmnnnm

------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shareen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I only went to Jems once, wasnt particularly impressed, but it was a couple of years ago.
TDP. I'll keep a seat warm for you at Tutankhamuns.... I will be there until early January. Have a great trip!

Posts: 1196 | From: www.spiritofthenile.com | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MohdAnwar
Member # 5528

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MohdAnwar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

-Cotragano >> Cairo - Mohamedessen - Italian
-Phileze >> Cairo - Mohamedessen - Italain and Mexican
-La Cazeta >> Cairo - Mohamedessen - Italian
-Pekgin >> Cairo - maadi - Chiness (but i think it is closed i didn't go since long time)
-Eltekkia >> Cairo - (i don't know where exactly in Cairo but i eat its food in Marina) - Egyptian food

Best Regards to u

Posts: 435 | From: Cairo | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TDP
Member # 5440

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TDP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I only went to Jems once, wasnt particularly impressed, but it was a couple of years ago.
TDP. I'll keep a seat warm for you at Tutankhamuns.... I will be there until early January. Have a great trip!

Thanks Shareen!! Cant wait to return. Hopefully 3rd jan if not it will be 24th.x

Farhana
Member # 3795

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Farhana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cortigiano/La Casetta (Cairo/Alex)
- Their infamous pizza or the peppered steak

Chilis - I love it!! Love it! Love it! (only ever been in Cairo)

oh..what's it called, the place where we get ful...ahhh..chabrawy! Now that's what i call local delicacies

Oh...and one in Alex that overlooks the sea..chicken something...nice!

Geeeesh, i'm hungry!

Posts: 606 | From: London, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lotusflower
Member # 4661

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lotusflower     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The new Korean/Chinese restauant (opened now 1 month) at Marwa Hotel, Television Str., Luxor - serves the real chinese curry,mmmmm.
Posts: 48 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shariatolombat
Member # 6072

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for shariatolombat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
" Charwood " on gameat el dowal el arabeyya street , near shehab street - excellent grilled meats.
Posts: 65 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
didi_elsayed
Member # 4763

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for didi_elsayed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ohhh its amazing,how u do remember the names,i dont remember not more than on,which i gone to only 3 times,"GAD"or smth it was funny in translation in my mother tangue,so i remember it,lol,and there was one like(mcdonalds) with a star sign,i remember that i always looked for the star,hahah!i dont have idea what was the name
Posts: 1134 | From: NoNe oF uR BuSiNeS | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TDP
Member # 5440

Member Rated:
Where is the best place in Luxor for seafood? I love shrimps!!
Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
Never had seafood in Luxor.... cant say it would appeal to me that much, now if you are talking Hurghada or Sharm..... what more could you want than fresh seafood straight from the Red Sea.
TDP
Member # 5440

Member Rated:
Stayed at Nuweiba last year and had an amazing choice!! Sent out for some shrimps few weeks ago in Luxor to cook a meal for 3 people. They came back with 6kgs!!! OMG I eneded up giving them to nearly everybody I knew and there are still some in the freezer!!
Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
Lol TDP! Its a bit like the time we went shopping for food, wanted just a couple of cucumbers... (I dont like them, but my friend does, so she gets a couple at a time) and they couldnt believe that we only wanted 2 and not 2kgs!
Did I tell you we cooked roast beef and Yorkshire Pudding last time we were there? Bloody wonderful it was!

TDP
Member # 5440

Member Rated:
MMMM.. I will have to have a go,not very good on the yorkshires though,always call my Mum to make them!
CanadianBabe
Member # 4499

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CanadianBabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
KFC
delicately cooked chicken in a lovely saturated oil thing...served in a sophisticated elegant atmosphere, by female waitresses in cute mini skirts

Posts: 11 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by TDP:
MMMM.. I will have to have a go,not very good on the yorkshires though,always call my Mum to make them!

I cant make them at home TDP.. always use the frozen ones, but we made this huge one in Luxor..... I think it must have been the fresh milk in the plastic bag and eggs that made it so perfect. It almost rose out of the oven!
Give it a go! If I can do it.... anyone can!

TDP
Member # 5440

Member Rated:
quote:
I cant make them at home TDP.. always use the frozen ones, but we made this huge one in Luxor..... I think it must have been the fresh milk in the plastic bag and eggs that made it so perfect. It almost rose out of the oven!
Give it a go! If I can do it.... anyone can!

I will!! Had trouble with the rice as well! My neighbour pointed out which rice to buy when we went shopping. Well mine turned out like rice pudding! One lump or two? LOL

Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I will!! Had trouble with the rice as well! My neighbour pointed out which rice to buy when we went shopping. Well mine turned out like rice pudding! One lump or two? LOL

You need to wash it in cold water then fry it in hot oil before adding boiling water to cook it. If you use about twice as much water as the rice, let the water boil away (about 12mins) and then leave it to cook a little longer in its own steam. Works every time You can also add the tinny pasta that looks like chopped up spagetti at the frying stage..it adds a wonderful flavour..fry it until it turns brown before adding the rice.

Made my hubby toad in the hole once...told him he was having a very traditional English dish. He was worried all day but absolutely loved it. It's very hard to get him to try something new

Penny

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TDP
Member # 5440

Member Rated:
You know I did try this but I think I had the wrong rice. Very small like pudding/rissotto rice? Or maybe its just me! Its now a standing joke the shrimps and my rice!! My Egyptian friends keep teasing me so I have to master this rice on my return!
trouble101
Member # 6160

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for trouble101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good grief!
I don't visit here very often but EVERY single time I visit - Jane is the hot topic of conversation. It is getting really fucking boring now. Move on for goodness sake.
JANE WILL ALWAYS BE THE TOPIC OF CONVERSATION UNTIL
1) SHE ADMITS SHE IS A NO GOOD USED UP 2ND "ORFI" WIFE OR UNTIL
2) SHE GET HER UGLY FAT ASS NO GOOD EGY. BUYING MAN ASS OFFF THIS BOARD. U ALL C???
SHE DOES NOT BELONG HERE. I KNOW YOU ALL SAW WHAT SHE LOOKS LIKE AND WHAT MAHOUMD LOOKS LIKE. TOO OBVIOUS THAT SHE HAS PURCHASED A MAN. NO ONE WANTS TO DEFEND HER UNLESS THEY ARE JUST AS CHEAP AS HER AND THEY TOO ARE AN ORFI WIFE THAT HAS ALSO PURCHASED ANOTHER WOMENS MAN. THE ONLY REASON THE 1ST WIFE EVEN AGREES TO THIS IS BECAUSE SHE IS BEING BOUGHT AS WELL. COME ON JANE. LOOK IN THE MIRROR... YOU ARE NOT LOVED BY ANY EGY MAN, YOU ARE BEING USED. IF YOU THINK OTHERWISE YOU ARE MORE STUPIDER THAN I EVER THOUGHT.
JUST ONE? for you? WHY COULD YOU NOT BUY A MAN YOUR OWN AGE??? WAIT, DONT TELL ME. THEY ALSO FOUND YOU UGLY AND FAT AND A WHORE AND WERE TOO SMART TO BE BOUGHT UNLIKE YOUNG NAIVE EGY MEN.......

Posts: 61 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TDP
Member # 5440

Member Rated:
What the hell has that got to do with food? MMM one track mind again? Obviously not getting any attention and very jealous of people who are and are happy. Now go away you bore and sort your own problems out before sticking that sick,vile mind/nose of yours in other peoples business! Unless you can help me with my rice then I dont want to know!!!LOL
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
What the hell has that got to do with food? MMM one track mind again? Obviously not getting any attention and very jealous of people who are and are happy. Now go away you bore and sort your own problems out before sticking that sick,vile mind/nose of yours in other peoples business! Unless you can help me with my rice then I dont want to know!!!LOL

Well said TDP...yes it is so boring. Now back to the rice...you have got to sort it out I don't think you can survive in Egypt if you can't cook rice. My hubby cannot live without rice Just got a packet out and it says el Doha on the front sorry everything else in arabic. Top is blue and has pictures of red, yellow, and green, peppers.

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TDP
Member # 5440

Member Rated:
Penny I will check the rice I have,(just text my friend to tell me what's on the packet as I am in UK at the moment) I did see the usual basmati and 'uncle ben's'. I also bought some of the noodles. What oil do you use to fry it in? I did a test run and tried olive, vegetable and ghee!! All turned out rubbish! Maybe next time I am over I could have a lesson?
warda_rosie
Member # 2509

Icon 1 posted      Profile for warda_rosie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi TDP,

my mother in law did teach me how to make rice and she told me it's the most important thing i have to learn

i think you stay in luxor, right? if so go to omar supermarket and buy rice called "white rice". that's what it says in the bag. it's good stuff. no need for washing it.
when you make the rice first put some sunflower oil to pan and then 1/4 of the rice in after oil is hot. let the rice come light brownish and then add rest of the rice and let this rice also cook in the oil so it changes its color to white/yellowish. make boiling water and take few dl water where you add chicken cubes or salt and add it to rice with rest of the water... do not add lots of water at first just 2 or 3 times more than rice. you can add it later if needed and DO NOT mix the rice when it's boiling. then it gets sticky. add only boiling water to rice.

it took me some time to learn how to make the rice but now my MIL says i make better rice than she does i don't care to remember how much rice i had to throw to rubbish before anyone could eat my cookings...

Posts: 34 | From: egypt | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TDP
Member # 5440

Member Rated:
Thank you Warda-Rosie, I will definately try this when I get back(hopefully 3rd jan). When I perfect it I will have a 'Rice party' and you are all invited!! Thanks again.x
warda_rosie
Member # 2509

Icon 1 posted      Profile for warda_rosie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are most welcome TDP.
i'm sure you will do just fine. don't forget to cook lots of meat when you have the party

Posts: 34 | From: egypt | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TDP
Member # 5440

Member Rated:
OK I have the name of the rice which is causing me so many problems! Al suhagy,it will not beat me!x
Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
Can you have your rice party on the 4th please TDP? I'm coming home on the 5th and wouldnt want to miss it!
HaimF
Member # 6181

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaimF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
invite me ...he-he
Posts: 10 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HaimF
Member # 6181

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for HaimF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MohdAnwar:
-Cotragano >> Cairo - Mohamedessen - Italian
-Phileze >> Cairo - Mohamedessen - Italain and Mexican
-La Cazeta >> Cairo - Mohamedessen - Italian
-Pekgin >> Cairo - maadi - Chiness (but i think it is closed i didn't go since long time)
-Eltekkia >> Cairo - (i don't know where exactly in Cairo but i eat its food in Marina) - Egyptian food

Best Regards to u

Heard your family went to a restaurant where they serve crabs just so they could bring you along.

Posts: 10 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TDP
Member # 5440

Member Rated:
quote:
Can you have your rice party on the 4th please TDP? I'm coming home on the 5th and wouldnt want to miss it!

Of course Shareen! I will let you know the date.x

TDP
Member # 5440

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by HaimF:
invite me ...he-he

Yes ok you can come too,but no CRABS please!LOL

MohdAnwar
Member # 5528

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MohdAnwar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HaimF:
Heard your family went to a restaurant where they serve crabs just so they could bring you along.

sorry what is your point ?

Posts: 435 | From: Cairo | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TDP
Member # 5440

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by MohdAnwar:
sorry what is your point ?

I dont get it either MohdAnwar,lets just leave him with his crabs! I dont want any at my party!

MohdAnwar
Member # 5528

Rate Member
quote:
I dont get it either MohdAnwar,lets just leave him with his crabs! I dont want any at my party!

I think u are right, we have to just leave him with his crabs.

Best Regards to u

wills76
Member # 4427

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for wills76     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Japanense at sonesta, chinese at hilton
Posts: 127 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ge Ge
Member # 3868

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ge Ge     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone been to the Fish Market restaurant in Maadi its fantastic.

Nice to know people are so concerned about your life Jane and remember do not reply and then they will crawl back to the mental institution they belong in.

Posts: 343 | From: Wiltshire, England | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
egyptguy
Member # 6485

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for egyptguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

KFC WAS #1. BUT THANX TO BUSH, I NOW VOTE FOR FELFELA AND SHABRAWI

Posts: 38 | From: nyc | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kenzie
Member # 3519

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kenzie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ge Ge:
Has anyone been to the Fish Market restaurant in Maadi its fantastic.

I have been there on a couple of occasions. Its really good. I enjoyed dinner on the boat.

[This message has been edited by Kenzie (edited 30 January 2005).]

Posts: 339 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stellalocal
Member # 4064

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for stellalocal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hello kenzie or should i say clair you got some competition for the sheraton now that a proper indian has opened hope you are all ok
Posts: 99 | From: egypt | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com