EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » army

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: army
aicha
Member # 6073

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for aicha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about army in egypt? How long does it takes and what can we do to avoid going to army?
Posts: 8 | From: belgium | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aicha:
What about army in egypt? How long does it takes and what can we do to avoid going to army?

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Its a year long draft. Most young men must. Once in a great while the Misryan army meets its quota and then excuses thousands of draftees. If you have some 'grande' degree like a medical degree you must serve in a remote village or hospital residency.

Even a massive car accident cannot clear you completely. Oh bowleggedness will get you disqualified. Maybe herpes or syphallis. They will forcefully divorse you from your spouse if he's up for the draft, if you are foreign. Because this can be a ploy to avoid military service. So the army isn't stupid.

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aicha
Member # 6073

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for aicha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sonomod:
Its a year long draft. Most young men must. Once in a great while the Misryan army meets its quota and then excuses thousands of draftees. If you have some 'grande' degree like a medical degree you must serve in a remote village or hospital residency.

Even a massive car accident cannot clear you completely. Oh bowleggedness will get you disqualified. Maybe herpes or syphallis. They will forcefully divorse you from your spouse if he's up for the draft, if you are foreign. Because this can be a ploy to avoid military service. So the army isn't stupid.

I'm sorry but my english isn't good enough to understand everything... What is bowleggedness? And what do you mean by the second part of your answer? You mean that a marriage with a foreign woman does not fire you from army or something like that?

Posts: 8 | From: belgium | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yu will not be called if you are an only son.

Depending on your level of education is dependent on how long you serve.

3 years is the ma

I beleive only 6 months/1 year for university grads and anything in between.

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by sonomod:
I'm sorry but my english isn't good enough to understand everything... What is bowleggedness? And what do you mean by the second part of your answer? You mean that a marriage with a foreign woman does not fire you from army or something like that?

Bowleggedness is when you stand straight and your legs have too much space between them. Opposite of pigeontoed.

Sometimes a Misryan draftee gets it into his head that if he marries a foreigner he will be excused from military service. It works in Libya or if you are born in a country like USA to libyan parents, then they excuse you from the draft.

They don't fire you from the Army. They just deport the woman and won't acknowledge the marriage. He is drafted anyway and might serve in a more extreme form of military service. Kinda of a punishment.

Ingrid
Member # 4230

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ingrid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you have to go in army 1 time or do you have to go more than once? And till what age?
Posts: 14 | From: Netherlands | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aicha
Member # 6073

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Ingrid:
Do you have to go in army 1 time or do you have to go more than once? And till what age?

What if you became eldest son because your brother died? And you have no father?
So, it's better not to say you have a foreign girlfriend?

ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL, nobody deports you because your husband goes to do his military service. that's just plain nonsense.
Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Let the man be a man and do his duty to his country. His sons will look up to him one day and he will be a much better husband for it.

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Topic: Egyptian Army
shannierae

Please can someone help me??? I need to know if an Egyptian man enters the Egyptian Army if anyone know's if he can marry?? And to an american woman?
IP: Logged

newcomer

Hi shannierae!
Why not do a search on the site as this subject has been discussed several times, and then if you still have any questions come back again.

karinfarid

as far as I know, an Egypt. man as long as he is in the Army, is not allowed to marry any foreign woman, but this was a few years ago and maybe has changed?
I hope somebody else can tell you,
all the best, Karin

shannierae

newcomer.. I didn't ask for a curt reply from anyone. This is a legimate question. And for your information, I have searched the site for these answers. And I have come to this site many times before I ever joined. If loving an Egyptian man makes me act the way a few of you do on this site. Then maybe I want no part of them!!! Because some on this site.. I think have gotten their hides burned by an Egyptian man, and let me tell you.. I have dated a few men from other part of the earth. They are all the same, unless you are fortunate enough to find yourself an intelligent American man which outshines them all.
quote:

Originally posted by newcomer:
Hi shannierae!
Why not do a search on the site as this subject has been discussed several times, and then if you still have any questions come back again.

shannierae

Karin, Thanks for your reply. I guess the only one that will give me a reply is a man, since it seems some women in here have a sore tail. :P
quote:

Originally posted by karinfarid:
as far as I know, an Egypt. man as long as he is in the Army, is not allowed to marry any foreign woman, but this was a few years ago and maybe has changed?
I hope somebody else can tell you,
all the best, Karin

newcomer

Hi shannierae!
Sorry you misread my quick comment as “a curt reply,” if I didn’t think yours was a legitimate question I wouldn’t have bothered to make the suggestion I did. The reason I did make the suggestion was because I remembered a long discussion on this very subject recently that I thought you might find useful.
Funny how someone can make so many assumptions from an attempt to be helpful!!

shannierae

As I said before newcomer.. it seems to me still you have a burr up ur butt, but anyway, thanks for your reply. But, I did look for this very subject and found none, that is why I asked. The only thing I found on this subject was something about years ago, which I am not concerned with.
quote:

Originally posted by newcomer:
Hi shannierae!
Sorry you misread my quick comment as “a curt reply,” if I didn’t think yours was a legitimate question I wouldn’t have bothered to make the suggestion I did. The reason I did make the suggestion was because I remembered a long discussion on this very subject recently that I thought you might find useful.
Funny how someone can make so many assumptions from an attempt to be helpful!!

newcomer

While I was sitting here perfectly comfortably and happy with my life here in Egypt, I looked up the discussions I was referring to and here they are: http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/Forum2/HTML/002181.html http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/Forum2/HTML/002020.html http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/Forum2/HTML/002019.html http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/Forum2/HTML/000083.html http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/Forum3/HTML/000145.html
Happy reading!

ExptinCAI

newcomer, you're certainly a patient one to be this helpful after such a nasty reply.
shan- sorry, but people don't like to rehash topics over and over again. topics that don't get many responses have typically been discussed in detail before. you're reading sarcasm where none exists

wsir

quote:

Originally posted by shannierae:
Please can someone help me??? I need to know if an Egyptian man enters the Egyptian Army if anyone know's if he can marry?? And to an american woman?

Hi
If he was in the army to do his duty as a solider not an officer yes he can marry an american woman as soon as he finish his time.
i was in the army and as soon as i finished i married an american woman and we have been married for over 4 years now it's no problem at all.
Good luck

Debbie

Yeah Shannierae- I hope your romance works out, but hey... lighten up!, please.

shannierae

newcomer.. Thank you for the links.. have not had a chance to come online and tell you I appreciate the links. and wsir, thank you also for the information. The problem is.. as of yet the guy has not entered service, he is to go on 3/2 and see if they take him, I was wanting to know this as I want to marry him as soon as possible. And you guys need to keep in mind that we new people don't know as much about this site as the one's that have been here for some time. So have patience with we newer ones. Thanks
quote:

Originally posted by ExptinCAI:
newcomer, you're certainly a patient one to be this helpful after such a nasty reply.
shan- sorry, but people don't like to rehash topics over and over again. topics that don't get many responses have typically been discussed in detail before. you're reading sarcasm where none exists

newcomer

Hi shannierae!
Glad you found the links useful.
If they defer the admission to the army, it may be possible to marry then, otherwise it would appear that you may have to wait until he is discharged. May whatever is the best for both of you be the result!
But can I give you a bit of advice...it doesn't matter whether you are new to the board or not, in general people are usually more willing to offer help if you are polite when asking for it. If people take the time to answer your questions it is usually a good idea when you are reading a response to at least initially, assume that it was written in good faith! Hope you enjoy the rest of your time on the board and find useful answers to your questions.

Stacia

Shannierae,
Oh my gosh!!! I can't believe I didn't see your post earlier...so sorry for that. Speaking from first hand experience, I am an American and my husband is an officer on an oil tanker ship. He and I were already married and the Egyptian military sent for him at his place of residence (his parents house) and within one month he had quit his job and was in the military. So, in answer to your question, YES, YES, YES!!! My husband and I thought there was no way possible for this to happen, but it did, with no explanation from the Egyptian military or government. He served his time in the Egyptian Navy at a small base in the Red Sea. So unless we were an unsual case, there really are no guidelines like the egyptian government claims as to who can serve in the military and who cannot. Hope this information helps, sorry it's not such good news. Let me know if you have any other questions, or you need more details. Stacia

sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:

Possibly the better approach to the question is whether can go AWOL during his mandatory service or as a officier.

I was assuming that aicha was refering to mandatory service. Which since half of my husband male relatives were officiers, mandatory is mandatory. If you freak out and start making trouble then it result in deportation.

For an officier it might be different. My husband's relatives who recieved training at an American military base watched other officiers marry an American woman on the sly and then had the marriage registered with both governments (legit marriage). Then he was deported from USA and recieved military punishment and the marriage was invalidated. Most of the officiers giving a chance to train the USA are warned about this ahead of time and must sign a release.

Its a troublesome matter and it depends on the soildiers or officiers history within his service, or even the attitude of highers ups toward the soilder/officer.

Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny:
Let the man be a man and do his duty to his country. His sons will look up to him one day and he will be a much better husband for it.

LOL ... which century do you live in?

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dalia:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Penny:
[b] Let the man be a man and do his duty to his country. His sons will look up to him one day and he will be a much better husband for it.

LOL ... which century do you live in?

[/B][/QUOTE]

The one that saw my nephew join the British marines at the age of 20 and by the age of 22 he had served in Afganistan and Iraq. Now at 23 he is a man I look up to and am very proud to have as a member of my family.

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I personally don't buy into the myth that serving in the military "makes a man a man" and I totally fail to see why someone who spent some time in service would make a better husband.

In my homecountry you can chose whether you serve your time in the military or do civil service and I always had more respect for those guys who chose the latter.

Apart from this I think spending time in the Egyptian army is anything but a pleasant experience for most ...

[This message has been edited by Dalia (edited 15 January 2005).]

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ingrid
Member # 4230

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ingrid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it true the men have to serve more than once till a certain age? I know someone who had to go for 1 month in september 2003 and now he has to go again but maybe only for 1 or 2 weeks (with a maximum of 1 month he says)!
Posts: 14 | From: Netherlands | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also never got how having someone clean for you, cook your food for you, tell you what to wear, tell you what time you have to get up and go to sleep, not having to worry about paying rent, and having a job which you excell at only if you follow orders exactly and blindly... makes you a "man" somehow.

better prepared for marriage, maybe.

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ExptinCAI:
I also never got how having someone clean for you, cook your food for you, tell you what to wear, tell you what time you have to get up and go to sleep, not having to worry about paying rent, and having a job which you excell at only if you follow orders exactly and blindly... makes you a "man" somehow.

LOL ... that's exactly what I meant.

Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Girls stop looking at life only through a woman's eyes. If you don't know why the army makes a man out of a boy then look at the training they have to face. It takes courage, initiative and physical strength, and self discipline.

On the practical matters it teaches them completely how to take care of themselves be it cooking, cleaning, ironing the lot. Then look at the situations they have to face in places like Afghanistan and Iraq ( whether you agree with whats going on or not). Yes they follow orders but they need one hell of a lot of initative and courage in what they do. They are also taught so many practical skills be it mechanics, engineering, driving etc. If this is not preparation for life then I don't know what is.

Do you want there to be men to defend your country for you in this mad world or not?

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com