EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » What about "Homesickness"????????

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What about "Homesickness"????????
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
New subject, hopefully you will participate.

This topic is aimed towards foreigners living in beautiful Egypt. Probably most people arrive in Egypt because of their own will, many with mixed emotions and a culture shock in the beginning is considered normal. Life settles in for most people and you are getting used to your surroundings. But there are times when you become homesick, you miss your country, your "old" place.

What do you do? How do you manage to get over that difficult period?

Would like to know how you deal with your feelings and emotions.

Netherless whenever you feel homesick I hope it doesn't last too long because Egypt is a fun place to be - well most of the time!

[This message has been edited by Tigerlily (edited 07 April 2005).]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
puppy
Member # 6116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for puppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here comes...

I came to egypt ,cause i was blaind of love..for egyptian man..
I was stupid..i didnt think what kind of life is here, i just wanted to be with my love..

First year goes,and everything was exciting,new,,,,I was missing to my country very much,and i travel several times to there..but when i was there,i miss my love so much,that i cannot enjoy my time there..

Now after 3.5years, i start to feel more happy here. I started to think more about good things than bad..
I have wonderful husband, lovely dog,lovely house (soon..),sunny days,lazy days..cooking..lovely sea..

I started to feel more strong..i dont care if some stranger make headache for me in a street..or some buss driver try to take my money...

But i stil miss my country,my family,friends...very much..But we try to travel 2 times per year to finland, it help a lot. and people from finland travel to me..and they bring to me things what i miss,and it makes me so happy..
Very small things can make me so happy...it was not like this before..so maybe i learn something about the life

Problem for me is,that i have too much time to think...i 'm not working,just at home..
I like it like this..i like to give 100% for familylife..or at least 60%...40% i could give to work..if i someday find something..intresting.

Anyway, internet is best way to help me get over my homesickness..i can talk with people..actually internet keep me very busy..so i dont have time miss so much..

First i was thinking,that we live in egypt 5years...then we go to finland...but now,i change my mind..and we stay 5years more..
I am scared go back to finland...and start life again..to change everything again..
But i want do it,someday...
Now i'm happy here..even sometimes i hope that i have a gun...
Dont worry, trueth is,i cant kill even mosquitos...

[This message has been edited by puppy (edited 08 April 2005).]

Posts: 263 | From: Hurghada | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know whether I am lucky or just unfeeling but I have not experienced any hoemsickness since i have been here. That is nearly 2 years now.

There are pros and cons but for me the pros far out way the cons. I miss being able to get good Japanese food but I don't miss the rain. I miss bacon/sausages/pork but not commuting 2 hours each way to work.

Actually I can not think of anything else i miss but loads of things i don't.

Hanging washing out to dry and it gets rained on or the house is littered with damp clothes.

Dark dismal days, no sunshine, no blue sky. I got an email today from someone in the UK and she said snow was forecast. I am basking in sunshine.

Only the house opposite to look at, if you look at the view from my balcony www.flatsinluxor.co.uk and then thing of a normal view froma british house. Yuck

Having a huge extended family for my daughter and me.

No give me Egypt any day

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lrigami
Member # 6912

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for lrigami     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
theres always a lot from your home country to miss.
Posts: 47 | From: united states | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Habiba1
Member # 7221

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Habiba1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I honestly don't know if I'm going thru a culture shock or homesickness, I just know that my experience here is filled with highs and lows.

Highs, I am a few steps from the beautiful Alexandria Beach Road, which I take walks on nightly with my husband, and we can see the sea from almost every window in our home, its beautiful.

Lows, I sometimes get irritated by the constant nagging of little kids constantly begging, it disturbs my solitude, and some of them are so persistent, they will not leave, just stay their whining and begging, and some will even follow you, this can be irritating. Even if from time to time you give them a pound or piaster, they are not grateful at all, they snatch it from your hands and run away, there seems to be no escaping this, except for when I'm with my husband he knows how to make them back away.

I miss my friends and family, but I talk to them online, and like Puppy said, the internet does help out a lot, at least you can download the latest songs, you can't find here, and keep up with everyone.

I can find almost everything I need as far as shopping, and that's a good thing.

But no matter how much you try to adjust and fit in, you will always feel like a foreigner in a foreign country, and that can sometimes get lonely, especially if you don't live in an expat community, which we don't.

Some days I'm filled with excitement, and others I feel so down and depressed for no reason whatsoever. Has anyone else ever experienced this? Is this homesickness or culture shock?

Posts: 81 | From: Alexandria, Egypt | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
puppy
Member # 6116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for puppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here again
I think biggest reason ,why i miss to my country, is my parents and family...i feel like i lost many years ..they are coming old ..i'm here faraway..i cant help..Someday they are gone..
This make me so sad ..

But what can i do..my husband feel same way for his parents...and not want leave them..

I can only hope,that my parents get a long life..and when we move to finland,they are stil in life..

Life is full of hard choices..
Anyway we try to do our best..and also enjoy from the life,and live everyday with happiness .

Posts: 263 | From: Hurghada | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
puppy
Member # 6116

Member Rated:
Habiba, i feel exactly same...someday life is wonderful here,next day everything is s...i guess it is part of homesicknes..
Even my personality is change a lot here..
Before i was most calm person, now i get crazy so easily..
But reason for this is, that my life is too easy..i dont use all my energy..so i get nervos..
And i dont have enough friends..so i feel sometimes so lonely..

bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just miss my daughter.. my horses... Iceland freezer centres and microwave meals...going to the gym every day before work.... going to the Central Mosque in Regents Park and spending time there with many good female muslim friends... having 2 days off a week.. and Coronation street!!
But now.. I've got the Red sea, the sun, breakfast on my balcony every day watching the boats go by, new friends,the sun, the sun, the sun!!!!

Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semsema
Member # 5415

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semsema     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I miss my garden. I miss the shoe shops where I can get a size 35 easily. I miss the supermarkets with every brand imaginable.

What I don't miss: Neighbours who never smile. The rain, wind, ice, snow (in April!).

What I have found: Helpful ex pats who I am glad to call friends. A different way of cooking (adapting to not being able to get things). The beautiful Red Sea. The generosity of most Egyptians and last but not least, the sun.

Posts: 660 | From: Unfinished City | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I lived in Egypt I had couple of periods when I was "homesick".

The toughest time I had was my break-up with my Egyptian fiance. Everything seemed so sad and useless. I couldn't stand to walk around anymore where we used to go. I wanted to leave so bad, nothing made sense anymore, I wanted to go back were I came from - my home.

But I had some great friends, helping hands and I stayed....... and the pay-off was I landed a great job.

For the most part I missed my mother, her voice and her cooking. There was a time when I didn't have much money and I was just able to call her only every 3 to 4 weeks. Imagine me at the post office doing a 3-minute-call to my mommy to Germany. It was tough. I had also couple of friends coming and visiting me in Cairo. Most of them loved my interesting life there.

The most important thing is definitely to have friends - close people - to get over homesickness and make you feel stronger again - or you take a trip back to your homecountry, if you can afford it.

[This message has been edited by Tigerlily (edited 10 April 2005).]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LiveItUp
Member # 4811

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for LiveItUp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am almost at my 1 year anniversary to live in Alexandria from America. Homesickness and culture shock I've still got both going on. I miss feeling more independent, freedom to laugh out loud, dance around in street be myself...I miss greenery everywhere, the freedom of choice. I miss free parks and shows you can find for your children. I miss the feeling of really being involved in your children's school or the community. I miss having the choice of so much at my fingertips. I did take allot for granted.
How to deal? Find other foreigners to talk to about our experiences living here....try to have group meetings. Reading, trying to catch ABC news from home and OPrah, thank god for Oprah! I love the outdoors so When ever I can I sea side walking or chilling out, which is my only cope method here. Right now I am in a cast so it's hard to get out so I Email friends at home and family to keep sane and try to find outlets for my lovely children here.
Perhaps living in a more resort area is more appealing as others have mentioned sun, looking at boats from their view, I see high bldgs with satellites daily. Not to mention constant loud construction going on all about my flat.
I think there needs to be a big committe to establish foreigners into society here. Whether it be Ex-Pats or whichever. Anyone game. Also it would help if these people would remember their first years here and take you under their wing. I would!

Posts: 395 | From: Whereever I go | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alana
Member # 6453

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MisplacedinAlex,
I can totally relate to what you are saying.
It is a normal response to seek your "own" out.It helps you with the culture shock, and homesickness. I remember contacting American Embassy, for Womens Organizations in the country,group meetings, Holiday parties, Halloween, Xmas, etc. I can sympathize with you completely, it is very difficult. It is nice to have a friend "show you the ropes", many american women travelling abroad to Egypt, and other arab countries encounter many obstacles to adjust to. I had friends hospitalized with dysentary,I myself was so sick from food,( keep to bottled water )always,watch the food.I agree with taking someone under your wing, I had a close friend who married also, she flew back with us with her baby son one year, really she thanked me for the knowledge I had learned to help her, for example; avoid this, stay away from that, plus you can stay grounded, and not get in a panic when you have a support system.When I was stationed in the gulf region , I found a great support group through the American Embassy also. Directory they published with all telephone numbers, address, of members, from beauticians, yoga classes in homes, all kinds of classes for children etc. I guess that saying still holds true"There is No Place Like Home". I remember when I first touched down @JFK Airport the first time back home, you realize so much we take for granted.Finding those familiar things you miss or want, or crave, is silly to some, but believe me, it can really relax you and put you at ease.How long do you think you will be residing in Egypt? Well nice to hear from you, and anything you need, feel free to ask

Posts: 273 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LiveItUp
Member # 4811

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for LiveItUp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Alana. Thanks for your information. I will be going home after kids out of school for summer. My husband was intent on living here for at least 10 years, I'm talking him into a 2 year plan. LOL! I have met a few great ladies here from USA but everyone has their drama stories. Can we Email?
Posts: 395 | From: Whereever I go | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LiveItUp
Member # 4811

Member Rated:
More on homesickness I forgot to add earlier.. Deal with it? Well you rant and rave to friends but not family that would be rude they are from here, you throw plates over the balcony to let off steam, you blast your favorite music from home and dance around, you wear you're odd clothing to stay different, and don't try to speak the language! You cry some...
You try to bake the things you miss from home if you can substitute the ingredients you can't find
You try to find anything familiar to read, listen to
You seem to clique only with people you meet from your country or look for them at places You look at home movies and photos
You watch reruns of your familiar shows you wouldn't have ever watched back home on the tv ...or same old movies
You email daily your friends from home and family and gripe about life here
You try to cope....there you have it gloomy eh?

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, this sounds very unhappy. I wish you all the best, misplacedinalex. Think how much better it is to have a computer these days now where you can stay daily with your family and friends overseas in contact, read the news globewide etc. When I lived in Egypt, a short phone call to my mom was expensive for a certain time, a letter took a good 3 or 4 weeks and many never arrived. Or waiting for replies from your loved ones and the postman always walks by on you, sorry nothing for you again.........
LiveItUp
Member # 4811

Member Rated:
Yes, so true...thankful for computer. It is a strange thing this homesickness feeling because the "grass is always greener on the other side" at times I can remember wanting to leave, have an adventure, change etc. tired of friends/family members gripings about mundane everyday things that they could of changed..crime and unsafeness of some cities. ...and so many keeping up with the Jones mentality...but you get away from it and then you really miss it! Laugh!

Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by akshar:
I don't know whether I am lucky or just unfeeling but I have not experienced any hoemsickness since i have been here. That is nearly 2 years now.

Same here.

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nevermind
Member # 6674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nevermind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alana:
I had friends hospitalized with dysentary,I myself was so sick from food,( keep to bottled water )always,watch the food.

Typical for americans, to my mind, to let themselve sbe hospitalised for something they think is dysenteria. Well no harm as long as US helath system compensates to egyptians. But otherwise, 99% it is not food, it is your hands, alana. Your hands are dirty, learn to clean your hands before eating Egyptian food. Nothing wrong with it, just with you yourself (just get used to the idea, like the rest of normal people do, that sometimes, accidentally, the wrong may be in yourself)

Posts: 1051 | From: Menoufeya | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to a health survey I read when I was suffering with dysentery after I arrived here, 25% of Egyptians have chronic dormant dysentery and many of them don’t know that they have it. It may occasionally flare up and then recede by itself. The dysentery amoeba lives on fruit and vegetable skins and can be passed on to others through poor personal hygiene after using the bathroom. It can only be killed by either vinegar or lemon juice, which is why many Egyptians automatically wash their fruit and vegetables this way when they get them.
Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by nevermind:
Typical for americans, to my mind, to let themselve sbe hospitalised for something they think is dysenteria. Well no harm as long as US helath system compensates to egyptians. But otherwise, 99% it is not food, it is your hands, alana. Your hands are dirty, learn to clean your hands before eating Egyptian food. Nothing wrong with it, just with you yourself (just get used to the idea, like the rest of normal people do, that sometimes, accidentally, the wrong may be in yourself)

What about the many tourists who become sick from food, have diarrhea on their vacation etc. So everyone is dirty then? And they should just clean their hands before eating Egyptian food????

Nevermind, you hardly let one thread out on this forum to attack a person. I could talk the same way like you talk to others but I won't........ ain't worth it. Guess I know how to treat idiots (in your own words).

[This message has been edited by Tigerlily (edited 09 May 2005).]

Shadya
Member # 7341

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shadya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:
[B] What about the many tourists who become sick from food, have diarrhea on their vacation etc. So everyone is dirty then? And they should just clean their hands before eating Egyptian food????

Nevermind, you hardly let one thread out on this forum to attack a person. I could talk the same way like you talk to others but I won't........ ain't worth it. Guess I know how to treat idiots (in your own words).
B]

I ate food from the vendors in the streets of Egypt and never felt bad for any of it. I wish I could get koshury and shwerma like that here! Actually, food is relative to the location where you eat it....

I went to Santorini Greece once and there was a food vendor selling roasted meat on a stick with a sort of sweet spicy peanut sauce over the meat. It was so rich in taste, I could only eat two sticks worth. I asked the man what that delicious food was, and he promptly told me it was donkey meat. I should have concluded it was some poor donkey because they were the only common animal on the island! (I just hope it wasnt the poor donkey who carried me up to the village from the shore)*sniff* He was sooooooooo yummy!

Posts: 52 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Shadya, you are so funny. If it was the same donkey then at least I believe this was the better solution for him and his poor donkey life.

Never tried donkey meat before...... at least I don't think so.

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Just want to throw in some more thoughts about this topic and myself.

Well, I came to Egypt when I was only 20 years old, was never abroad before (is a trip from Germany to Poland considered abroad?), just finished my training and worked for a good year, I was reading some books about Egypt to get an idea what I was going into and here I was - in a totally different country and culture. But I didn't want it any other way, I chosed the way I wanted to go. I planned on to stay in Egypt for one year and go back home, settle down etc. - but everything came different. I stayed good three years and many things happened in the meantime, I moved, got married, had kids and lived in some other countries (because of my husband's profession).

But my heart is still back in Egypt, especially in Cairo. So somehow I am homesick for this wonderful place too. The years I was able to spent in Egypt was a life-changing time for me. And it was mostly because of the friendlyness and kindness of the people, thank you.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com