EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Rain in Luxor

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Rain in Luxor
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was coming back from a film show at the Luxor Museum when I noticed flashes in the sky. Lots of people tsking photos, then my daughter says she can feel rain. No it must be bird poo.

It was, we just had the most almighty rain storm. I got completely drenched. I mean Manchester style. Cats and Dogs. the elctricity cut out on the West Bank for about an hour. This happened as we were going across on the feryr and it took ages to dock trying to contend with rain and no lights. When it did eventually men were all helping women and children get off because it was slippy and they hadn't docked properly so there was a gap. It was totally amazing, everyone on the ferry was talking about it.The taxi I jumped into had to use his windscreen wipers which were useless. probaly the first time they had been used lol

I believe the last big rain storm was in 1994 and then they actually had flooding.

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shareen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It rained heavily one January a couple of years back now when I was there. Funny actually, we were sitting outside a restaurant having a coffee, when there were a few drops of rain, but it was still warm. All the egyptians around ran for cover and we still sat... saying "its only a drop or two, they dont know what real rain is like". We were soon to eat our words, the heavens opened and for about 10 minutes it absolutely poured down. We became egyptian and ran for cover. Then the sun came out and it was absolutely beautiful again.

It was fun to see the kids though, all those huge puddles in the streets to play in!! I wonder how many of them got a spanking for going home all wet and muddy after leaping around in the puddles! lol

Posts: 1196 | From: www.spiritofthenile.com | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Akshar, I am aware that it almost never rains in Egypt, about twice a year?

I do understand what I am missing out on while we are entering another weekend of cold and bad weather here - very unusual for this time of the year.

I do not remember any bad flooding while living in Cairo but I remember the sandstorm on May 01, 1997 which hit the city really bad. I was working up on the 13th floor in a building right on the Nile when huge sandwaves covered whole Cairo. The building was shaking, one of the windows broke, you couldn't see anything for a good half an hour. It was very very frightening.

[This message has been edited by Tigerlily (edited 22 April 2005).]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I know it rains in Cairo but this was the first time for us in Luxor since we moved here 2 years ago. Also I have been visiting for 26 years and had never experienced rain any time in Egypt.

So you can imagine what a shock it was. I was completely soaked through it was that heavy.

Another one to added to my experience log

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nevermind
Member # 6674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nevermind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool . Maybe you shall have extra green and flowering gardens after some time now???
Posts: 1051 | From: Menoufeya | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
We always have lovely gardens because of the irrigation from the Nile but it would be interesting to see if anything was blooming in the desert just now.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com