EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Job and Career Choices in American

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Job and Career Choices in American
Catherine_S
Member # 8232

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catherine_S     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would a mechanic who is Egyptian in the US be considered a lower class person than if he had chosen another kind of job choice?

As I have understood, a mechanic is considered a lower class than most other jobs in Egypt. Whereas in the US a mechanic may do quite well in his own business and make a good living, and he would not be thought of as low class.

What would the family think?

Posts: 4 | From: San Francisco, Calif USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darkeyes
Member # 6058

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Darkeyes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Auto techinicians that work for dealerships in the U.S. do well. The company usually trains them as most new cars are so computerized. Beyond that it's hard to answer your question. There are rich people and poor people in the U.S. but no class system. People here respect someone who works hard and they do respect small business owners. It really depends on the individual family, their education level, and if they are snobs or not. An auto mechanic would be considered middle class probably.
Posts: 212 | From: USA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catherine_S
Member # 8232

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catherine_S     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wondering about mechanics in Egypt. I have a friend who lives in US and is doing well in his own shop and is Egyptian. He isn't low class at all, but is a very good mechanic.

I was told on another board about Egyptians that Egyptians who are mechanics are considered low class in Egypt. Is that true, since there is a class system there? That just seems very unfair.

quote:
Originally posted by Darkeyes:
Auto techinicians that work for dealerships in the U.S. do well. The company usually trains them as most new cars are so computerized. Beyond that it's hard to answer your question. There are rich people and poor people in the U.S. but no class system. People here respect someone who works hard and they do respect small business owners. It really depends on the individual family, their education level, and if they are snobs or not. An auto mechanic would be considered middle class probably.

Posts: 4 | From: San Francisco, Calif USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SiN_iNN
Member # 5754

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SiN_iNN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Catherine_S:
I was wondering about mechanics in Egypt. I have a friend who lives in US and is doing well in his own shop and is Egyptian. He isn't low class at all, but is a very good mechanic.

I was told on another board about Egyptians that Egyptians who are mechanics are considered low class in Egypt. Is that true, since there is a class system there? That just seems very unfair.

Class system is every where my friend not just in Egypt.
Yes mechanics are considered as a low class in Egypt, If u think the class system is unfair why u bothering urself by whether he is a low class or not !!!!

Posts: 140 | From: Cairo | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hassancheb
Member # 4863

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for hassancheb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Would a mechanic who is Egyptian in the US be considered a lower class person than if he had chosen another kind of job choice?

As I have understood, a mechanic is considered a lower class than most other jobs in Egypt. Whereas in the US a mechanic may do quite well in his own business and make a good living, and he would not be thought of as low class.

A mechanic would fall under the category of a blue collar job in the US. Our system is pretty complex, we have many grey areas. We have professional occupations, i.e. doctors, lawyers, business men, teachers and non professional, clerks, laborers, etc.

Then we have blue collar occupations and white collar occupations, and both could be professional, i.e. fireman, and a nonprofessional white collar job would be like a filing clerk in an office.

And then we have income levels, i.e. middle class income, working class income, etc. And your income alone doesn't determine your economic class, i.e. if you make $30,000 a year, and single with no dependants, you could be considered middle class, but if you make the same amount with 7 dependants, you could be considered below the poverty line.

So people here don't really feed into it, as you can see people with blue collar occupations could make a middle class income, and a Professonal white collar school teacher, who is the head of the household with a lot of mouths to feed would be considered below the poverty line, and may even qualify for public assistance.

Whereas in Egypt, anyone with a college degree thins they are middle class, even if school teacher there makes the same salary as a maid. Andd it's true school teachers in Egypt typically make around 300LE/month, while a maid who dropped out of grade school could earn the same salary, so there it's more social status and honour than monetary, as in the US.

And our monetary class system is not designed like a pyramid, with few on the top, and the majority at the bottom, like Egypt's. Our is designed more like a bell curve, because we have what is called the "median income", with the bulk of the population being middle or working class, and poverty and wealthy are the few at opposite ends of the curve.

Of course I'm only speaking from an accounting perspective.

Posts: 358 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
1mangang
Member # 6403

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1mangang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Class doesnt matter here.
u can make good money being a mechanic if u work hard and get with a good shop.
u are blue collar worker but it is not bad or anything like that it is just someone who works with his hands. Should have no problem getting a job here if he speaks english.

Posts: 751 | From: US OF A | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are mechanics here in the USA that can make $50,000 or more depending on what type of cars they repair, upgrade or do bodywork on. Especially those illegal grade hotrods, now thats an industry!

But garbage collectors, public transit operators here in Minneapolis can make $17 to $22 an hour. No kidding.

My uncle went to college for actural science. Then after graduation took over his father's gas station and garage making over $100,000 a year. I was just as much of a headache as an actural career.

You have choices in the USA on your career, trade offs. Who cares if you pick up trash for a living, fix cars, or are paid to study for your seventh level actural license, as long as you are a good citizen and person that is all that matters.

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com