EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Couple Marry Online

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Couple Marry Online
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 4 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Online Chatting Leads to Virtual Wedding

JAKARTA, Indonesia, Jan. 13, 2006
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(AP) Rita Sri Mutiara Dewi's fiance could not get time off from his job in the United States. But that didn't stop the couple _ who have never met in person _ from tying the knot on Thursday.

And a Muslim cleric who witnessed the ceremony between the Indonesian lovers declared it legal, she said, even though they were on opposite ends of the earth.

"We are happy that we're married now, even though we had to do it via the Internet," said Dewi, 50, noting that the two used a video link so her relatives could see her 52-year-old groom.

Dewi met Wiriadi, a physiotherapist who works at a hospital in California, in an Internet chat room several months ago. They exchanged pictures and contacted each other almost every day, she said, speaking usually online but other times by phone.

In November Wiriadi proposed. Over the Internet, of course.

Dewi, who works as a teacher in Malaysia, returned to Indonesia for the virtual wedding. Wiriadi, who uses only one name, was in California. It was the second marriage for both.

Dewi said Friday she plans to travel to the United States next month to meet her new husband.

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ahmeds
Member # 9277

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ahmeds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Big Grin] that will lead to get babies thru net [Big Grin]
Online Babies [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] and name ur baby msn [Wink]

--------------------
if i weren't an egyptian , i would be an egyptian , [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 295 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paint,

Interesting point.

My husband asked me once why his Egyptian friends are registering their Egyptian marriages here in the US, but I couldn't answer his question.

I haven't researched it much, but to my knowledge, every state in the US recognizes foreign marriages as long as the country of origin recognizes it. I know in some circumstances the foreign marriage documents must be *authenticated,* but that's not the same as registration.

So I can't help you [Frown] ....I don't know if people are using the term *registration* and *authentication* interchangably... ???

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snoozin:

I haven't researched it much, but to my knowledge, every state in the US recognizes foreign marriages as long as the country of origin recognizes it. I know in some circumstances the foreign marriage documents must be *authenticated,* but that's not the same as registration.

Not true, there is a refugee here in St. Paul from Togo.

He is a political refugee who had it set up for his wife of 7 years and his two children to immigrate to the USA.

The plan tickets bought, the intial visa applications approved, but not issued. and wham, because he hadn't registered his civil marriage with the Togo authorities (which they can easily suspend marriage licenses at will for whatever reason) so his children, but not his wife are allowed to immigrate.

Plus I know of plenty Somali women who are registered wives but because their husband had married more than one woman, he'd have to divorce all but one wife in order to even apply to have this one wife join him in the USA.

What happens with the situation above is the Somali man divorces all his wives and then marries a fresh one registers to bring her over to the USA and then is denied. After that point his former wives are notified that they are now allowed to immigrate as refugees and his status is no longer a refugee, so he must reapply his status, thus pushing back his first chance to apply for naturalization.

So effectively the INS has punished many men for divorcing their wives, only to marry a new woman and then apply for her. I like it, but this is one of the few times that I have seen the INS actually punish a misgonist.

I know of several Lebanese men who have had their wives and family migrate to the USA, and in turn their marriage isn't recognized for whatever reason, but they will recognize the marriage as a common law marriage.

There is something in the system of the INS that won't recognize certain types of marriages, mainly civil due to not organizing the petition correctly. Certain nationalities like Turkey, Lebanon and Syrians register their marriages as civil law marriages for whatever reason I don't know. But I have seen some students here not be able to state that their parents are married on financial aid forms because its a common law marriage. While in other states like Texas common law marriages are valid when dealing with state student aid.

Very weird.

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have *any* experience at all with visas, Paint. [Frown]

My friend at work -- her father got an honest-to--goodness mail-order bride from the Philapines. Brought her over and got married within 4 months. I assume getting a visa for her was not a problem. [Roll Eyes]

Bizarre.

KeepinItReal
Member # 7946

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for KeepinItReal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A couple years back I worked with this male nurse who was the ugliest man. He wasn't only ugly but just plain weird. He was really open about this mail order bride he married from Russia. He brought her in one day and she was this beautiful blonde girl at least 15 years younger than him. We were all shocked! How does that work? Does she have to marry that guy? I mean, seriously this guy would make any girl scream and run.
Posts: 1063 | From: Oregon | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*tigerman*
Member # 9196

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *tigerman*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by KeepinItReal:
A couple years back I worked with this male nurse who was the ugliest man. He wasn't only ugly but just plain weird. He was really open about this mail order bride he married from Russia. He brought her in one day and she was this beautiful blonde girl at least 15 years younger than him. We were all shocked! How does that work? Does she have to marry that guy? I mean, seriously this guy would make any girl scream and run.

Green Card issues ...
Posts: 2691 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KeepinItReal
Member # 7946

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for KeepinItReal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure it had to be for the greencard, why else? That guy was gross.

I get your point Paint and I completely agree. It is a double standard isn't it? I never really thought of it before but I'm sure INS would make the process almost impossible for a woman. It's messed up!

Posts: 1063 | From: Oregon | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mi feng
Member # 9378

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mi feng     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The double standard does exist, but probably to a diminishing degree.
Its different than the fiance petition, but I know some slimy losers from a small country south of Syria that came to US on totally bogus VISAs and married to get green cards. Despite obvious lies, which in some cases they were caught in (!) they now have the lovely green card.
The most common difficulty for women importing husbands has probably been the statement of support. The tax records and such showing ability to support said immigrant, and proof of not receiving government assistance. Not to say that this has any veracity, but there may be an assumption that a woman coming into the US as a wife will be supported by her husband, whereas an immigrant husband coming into the US would be less fully suppported by his wife that will soon end up pregnant and stop working. hahaha, sounds like they've been studying the SUNNAH, no offense.

Posts: 1161 | From: wo xiang xiao bian ji si le | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Paint Me As I Am:
quote:
I'm sure INS would make the process almost impossible for a woman. It's messed up!

/////////////////////

INS is Impossible... and they have the say so. Decline or Approve..

Like any other culture, women are the bedrock, the cornerstone of your cultural engima.

Men may lower themselves to this decreped state of loserness, but as females we must do everything in our power to bring out the best in our societies and correct the failures of men.

Sorry, we aren't allowed to lower ourselves to their "mail order spouse" level in the USA. But I am sure its different in Europe. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Real life
Member # 7982

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Real life     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I'm sure it had to be for the greencard, why else? That guy was gross.

I get your point Paint and I completely agree. It is a double standard isn't it? I never really thought of it before but I'm sure INS would make the process almost impossible for a woman. It's messed up!

Its the same in the UK - 50 year old blokes seem to have almost no problem bringing 20 year old Thai Brides (or philipino or brazilian or russian or whatever) to the UK, but its not easy for a woman to bring a man over (whatever the age!).

Strangely, in the UK immigration, they can't discriminate against gays, so I think 2 gay men wouldn't have so much difficulty!

Its completely sexist and maybe a bunch of women who have had their foreign husbands applications for visas rejected should get together and make a 'class action' or whatever those things are called!

Posts: 148 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hambaka
Member # 10021

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hambaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i think it is shame to find this double standard in this countries at this time

--------------------
hambaka

Posts: 35 | From: maadi | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melati
Member # 9610

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melati     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is the same double standard in australia.
My best friend married an italian guy from Hicksville New Jersey( love that place name) and she has been in US for almost a year now waiting for his Australian Visa to come through-meanwhile she has already her green card.
My neighbours loser friend ( who is fat 55 year old red faced borderline alcoholic) is with his new wife already after 2 months only( yes-shes indonesian and speaks hardly any english YET, is half his age and I hope to god shes gonna fleece him of every cent hes got-this is his 2nd time with a young indo bride he meets while in blok m or whatever) .Ok good if they will have a good marriage, but when I hear him talk about women I want to punch him in the face-he is a mysoginist racist bastard.
She will need to wait 2 years before she can be permanant resident, so she will have to put put with him for that long at least.

Posts: 872 | From: Sydney | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband and I are in the process now of getting our marriage certificate authenticated to use in the US. Let me tell you..if you plan on getting married in Egypt and getting that certificate authenticated to use in the US, you need the patience of a saint. We were married 2.5 weeks ago and we're still not finished with it. My poor husband just finished running around Cairo getting the last stamps and signatures on the English translation of our marriage certificate. Now he has to wait until next week to go back to Cairo to get the stamp from the US embassy so he can send it to me in the states. Ugh! What an ordeal! The two of us ran around for a total of 4 days over this thing. I had to leave Egypt last Sunday so I couldn't finish it with him. They certainly don't make it easy for Egyptians to marry foreigners in a legal way (non orfi).

quote:
Originally posted by Snoozin:
Paint,

Interesting point.

My husband asked me once why his Egyptian friends are registering their Egyptian marriages here in the US, but I couldn't answer his question.

So I can't help you [Frown] ....I don't know if people are using the term *registration* and *authentication* interchangably... ???

Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com