EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » harassement stories

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: harassement stories
PortSaid
Member # 10337

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for PortSaid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good or bad........that happened in Egypt of course..........
Tell us how did you manage with it and what did you learn?
Where did it take place? What was the situation?

Posts: 78 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
her maj
Member # 10299

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for her maj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Once was at sound and light show in Giza.
1995. Sat upstairs on an outdoor type balcony thing. I wanted to get a better picture and a waiter offered to show me the best place.........Too trusting!!!
He kept walking and we ended up at the furthest corner of the balcony. I lined up my shot and then he crept behind me and put his arms around my shoulders pretending to hold the camera and steady it. I was so scared by now and in total darkness. I moved away and he pressed himself up against my back........then started rubbing himself against me.........by now I was in a real panic, in the dark , and no one around. It was my second day in egypt, and he no idea that I would not be safe with so many tourists around. He then wrapped his arms around me and tried to kiss me I jumped and pushed him off and ran around trying to find help. I ran to a group of waiters telling them about the man, and they just stood around smiling. I returned to my group, and one of the husbands was so mad he went to search him out!!!! The waiter had disappeared into the night.
I never forgot that experience and when I returned to Giza in April 2005 the memory came flooding back.
[Frown]

Posts: 115 | From: Buckingham Palace | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
germanjulia
Member # 8781

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for germanjulia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by H.R.H elizabeth windsor:
1995. Sat upstairs on an outdoor type balcony thing. I wanted to get a better picture and a waiter offered to show me the best place.........Too trusting!!!
He kept walking and we ended up at the furthest corner of the balcony. I lined up my shot and then he crept behind me and put his arms around my shoulders pretending to hold the camera and steady it. I was so scared by now and in total darkness. I moved away and he pressed himself up against my back........then started rubbing himself against me.........by now I was in a real panic, in the dark , and no one around. It was my second day in egypt, and he no idea that I would not be safe with so many tourists around. He then wrapped his arms around me and tried to kiss me I jumped and pushed him off and ran around trying to find help. I ran to a group of waiters telling them about the man, and they just stood around smiling. I returned to my group, and one of the husbands was so mad he went to search him out!!!! The waiter had disappeared into the night.
I never forgot that experience and when I returned to Giza in April 2005 the memory came flooding back.
[Frown]

oh nooo [Frown]
Posts: 457 | From: Any Questions? | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
germanjulia
Member # 8781

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for germanjulia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I ran to a group of waiters telling them about the man, and they just stood around smiling. [Frown]

[Mad]
Posts: 457 | From: Any Questions? | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PortSaid
Member # 10337

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PortSaid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if the other waiters didn't do nothing to help this means because he was their friend and they certainly did the same before too.

--------------------
Egypt is in my heart!

Posts: 78 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
- Maz -
Member # 9764

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for - Maz -     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a law against this here: a man touches a woman against her will can get up to 6 months prison.

Now the only problem is how to prove it:

An Egyptian woman would scream and shout, making a public scandal as to gather as many people as possible, and after some time some police officer would appear too.

Posts: 88 | From: Brasilia, DF, Brazil | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
[Frown]

holy crap! that is scary your majesty!
I would have screamed and hammered him in the groin making sure he was down for the count so I could drag his butt in front of witnesses. Men like that are scum.

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
her maj
Member # 10299

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for her maj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When you are in a new country, just really arrived, unsure of your location, availability of help, you become very scared.
I was just glad I was with a group and there were men as part of the group. They made me feel safe, much safer than the waiters!!
All down to experience I guess!!

Last April I had to fly home from Cairo alone.
I had horrible flights. Cairo to Larnaca to Malta to London. It was the only one I could get for the date.
On the second leg the plane was half empty, I laid down across the 3 seats and fell asleep. I woke to someone with their hands between my thighs stroking me!!
The man behind had slipped his hand between the seats.
I jumped up smashed him across the face with a bottle of water, and screamed for the crew.
They moved me to the front of the aircraft, the captain came and took details. I cried and shook all the way to Malta. The crew were magnificent, the passengers were so lovely. The captain had radioed ahead and the police were waiting on the runway as we landed.
I had to get off first, then identify him as he got off. They arrested him on the steps of the plane and took him off in a car. They whizzed me through immigration to the police office, and then into Floriana, to the vice squad headquarters.
Two lovely policewoman took all the statements, held him and me for 4 hours ( I missed my connection )
He denied it. They said they could take it to court, but as I had no witnesses it would be hard to prosecute him.
They said they would look on the database for any similair crimes and if I wanted recall me for a court case.
They then rushed me back to another flight to London.
I passed him on the way out of the office and he was a smiling, and pretending that nothing happened.
I got the flight, went to collect my luggage and then when all the passengers had gone to customs realised my bags had ben taken off in malta and not put on the next flight!!! I was distraught by this time!!
He was an egyptian man on business from Cairo to malta.He had long greast hair, short like Danny De Vito, wearing mirrored sunglasses, and a very shiny blue suit.
I still see his smiling face to this day!!!
My advice never never never fall asleep on a plane with a man sitting behind you. Never never let children travel alone on flights.
I feel sick right now thinking about this but want people to know the dangers.
Thankfully nothing else has happened to me, and both with egyptians............................
[Mad] [Mad]

Posts: 115 | From: Buckingham Palace | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a BS!!!!!! [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PortSaid
Member # 10337

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PortSaid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One day after my visit to the Egyptian Museum I decided to take a walk around.Arriving at Midan Tahrir I tried to cross there which was a bad idea since I'm not good at crossing such a busy place. So I stood there for more than 15 mn without daring to cross. In the mean time help was offered to me but I declined it.
At the end just when I was about to give up and go back on the same way I came from, suddenly I heard a man saying something in arabic behind me. I turned back and there he was. A tall very handsome man who's about 40 years old of age. First I stared at him for a few sec before telling him in english I can't speak arabic.
He appologized then asked me what is the matter.
I told him I need help to cross the street.
He smiled at me and said it is not reasonable trying to cross here. Sometimes it is hard even for the locals so for foreigners it must be almost impossible because they are not used to.
At this point I don't know why I changed my mind and told him I'm sorry I prefer to go in another direction. I said goodbye then walked away.
I didn't look back. A mn later I don't know why or maybe by instinct I looked back and to my big surprise the man was following me. He was about 2 meters at distance from me.I thought he was just going on the same way as me so I didn't pay attention or asked myself what is going on.
A few mn later I turned back again and of course he was still there. At this point I understood he was following me.
When I reached El Corniche he was still there.As the dark was about to come,I headed for my hotel.He was still there.
While I was walking along the Corniche I stoped just to see what he intends to do and as I imagined he approached me and whispered that he wants me. I'm very sexy! Am I free tonight?
First I didn't answear him but just stared at him with a serious look on my face.At this point he was getting nearer. He said again he wants me and many other words to show me how excited he was.I kept declining all his invitations.At the end he was dissapointed and even a bit upset.
I ended up by telling him firmly and politely that I will call for help if he continues on bothering me and it didn't take long for him to go away.

her maj
Member # 10299

Member Rated:
[Roll Eyes]
They make me sick!! they really do....... [Frown]

Barbapapa
Member # 10031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barbapapa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Harassment is everywhere, everytime! I really had a hard time dealing with it. I dress very conservative, never show my legs, my arms...I look Middle-Eastern. And I have always been harassed. Physical harassement, it happened only once though. But the moral harrasssement is as humiliating I find. I love walking, and I do walk a lot when I'm in Cairo. I take public transportations, and the worst ones, like microbuses and co. Sometimes I don't hear the guys, sometimes I do, when I'm tired or stressed. Sometimes I shout at the guy, sometimes I just pass...
Posts: 531 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cocoapuffs
Member # 9452

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cocoapuffs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes Ive been harassed....by "incense guy."

I go to AUC. Im an American Muslim, I even wear hijab and one day I was outside of AUC campus near tahrir, waiting for the shuttle. Here comes this baladi guy in a galabiya, trying to hawk little skinny boxes of incense. I stood there with my arms folded when he got around to me, and I said laa shukran, and looked away. He kept holding out the incense box towards my chest, saying stuff in Arabic that I didnt understand. I said laa shukran again. Finally he seemed to go away, but I felt something brush against my butt, he had passed behind me and taken that opportunity to brush my butt. He came back again, holding the box out as if if to insist I buy it, then when he was reaching out with the box, he slyly opened his fingers and cupped my breast with his hand. My mouth went wide open and I said, How dare you. I knew a little arabic but it went out of my mind. I couldnt believe he was feeling me up, and I am muhajaba, and not slutty muhajaba, I wear loose clothes and everything. And there were people around too. He continued after that, to hold his hand out towards with with the box in it, and I even started to slap his wrist away.

So believe me, it has to do with upbringing, not only what youre wearing. I told the guy who operates our shuttles, "This guy is going around touching women." He said, "Did he touch you?" I said yes. He went to the guy, spoke to him quietly for about 60 seconds, and then the guy took off down the street. I dont know what he said to the guy, but it worked. [Smile]

--------------------
Bakhsheesh! Yes, you are reading and enjoying my posts! So hand it over! [Smile]

Posts: 120 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sohyla
Member # 8287

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sohyla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't had one specific instance of harassment but it is something I deal with off and on. If I am in the market alone I can sometimes hear men saying "mozza" or whatever behind me or some guys think they can just come up to me and start a conversation. It doesn't bother me so much but sometimes guys say stuff behind me when I am with my husband! He gets really upset by this. They think he can't hear but he does.
Posts: 516 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PortSaid
Member # 10337

Rate Member
Cocoapuffs if this guy dared to touch you desapite the fact you were wearing hijab then it is the end of many of my hopes.
Because I intended to wear one next time I will be in Cairo so I will be left alone.

--------------------
Egypt is in my heart!

PortSaid
Member # 10337

Rate Member
And don't forget the typical "pssssssssst"!
not to mention that noise they are making with their lips as if they want to kiss you.
first time i went to Egypt I was quite shocked because it was worst than expected but ever since things have changed and see those kind of situations in a different way. on the contrary it amuses me because i have learn how to ignore them or attract less attention.

ShannonAmr
Member # 10352

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ShannonAmr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had my first (and only) bad experience at a church of all places! I decided to visit Old Cairo, the Coptic (Christian) side of Egypt. I went to visit the church of Mari Girgis first. And than, as I was readying myself to walk through the church cemetery and onto the next church, I ran into a group that was touring both churches. A woman in the group invited me along to view a small Coptic museum on the premises that was only open for the group. So I went. But I felt odd standing with the group and listening to their tour guide, so I wandered around a bit, though I stayed close by. Than this little guy, who said his name was Mohamed, approached me. He didn't speak English well, but I could tell he was willing to show me around the museum, so I followed him. He kept taking me through all these corridors and trying to tell me about things, but every room was dark and we were half running through them. I took pictures with my flash, just so I could see what was inside the room. Some of the rooms were small, so I had to lean forward and everytime I did, this little guy would walk behind me just so he could brush up against me. Ugh! I figured, this place was small... so it would be easy to get away from him if I needed to. Conveniently, EVERY room he took me into didn't have working lights. Or so he said. NICE! Than... As I turned to trace my path back to the outside, he grabbed my arm and asked me "Bosni" or something like that. Turns out he wanted me to kiss him. Ugh! I said "No" politely and than tried to leave, several times. He ended up grabbing my head and tried to pull me down to kiss him. I forgot to mention that he was like a foot shorter than me and I'm only 5 foot 6! Anyway... He was strong, but LUCKILY we heard footsteps and he let me go. I started running through the halls and after what seemed like forever I came upon the woman who had invited me to view the museum with them. I asked her "Do you speak English well?" And she said, "A little dear. What is it?" I wanted to tell her what was happening, but I heard Mohamed coming... So I started running again. I made it to the front door of the museum and started to open it. Just than a hand shot out and slammed the door. Than he flipped me around, tried to kiss me again. I pushed him. He grabbed my chest first and the second I got his hand free, he grabbed my butt, and than my... well, you know. TRUE! Every time I would pull his hand from one place, his other hand would shoot up somewhere else. And he just kept saying "I'm sorry". Ugh! What a FREAK! So... I pretty much ran from that place while he was yelling after me "Welcome to Cairo". I made my way quickly through the cemetery and to the next church, the church of Abu Serga. It was beautiful. But the poor guy who showed me around that church got a very cold shoulder from me. I feel so bad about that, but I was still so shaken. Than, as I was leaving and making my way back to the first church to leave the area... I saw that little Mohamed guy running past some head stones... seriously! He must've been following me. As soon as he knew I saw him, he walked up to me and tried to get me to go someplace with him in the cemetery. I just kept moving at a quick speed saying "NO thank you!" Than I acted like I was going to yell to a man I saw working in the cemetery. That's when I heard Mohamed say "Sorry" again and than "Welcome to Cairo!" and than he disappeared. I than walked to the first church and tried to speak with a guard at the gate, but he understood very little English so he brought somebody else up... After several attempts, the bishop of the church finally came out. He was so nice. I explained to him the situation and they attempted to find Mohamed, but he had taken off on the Metro. What an awful time. Fun to be in that holy area, but GEESH! Of all the places to run into a jerk! They promised they would talk to him for me... FIRE him actually. They couldn't believe someone would do such a thing. And than I left... I took the metro back to Cairo. Back to safety. [Embarrassed] ) So... NOW you know of the only bad thing that's happened to me in Egypt. [Smile] UGH! [Frown]
Posts: 130 | From: Michigan | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never had much of a problem, but I go everywhere with at least 2 male in-laws.
Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ShannonAmr
Member # 10352

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ShannonAmr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well... I took the train back into Garden City and met up with my fiance and his brother who both wanted to jump back on the train with me and go to the church so they could face this man who had harrassed me. It took me an hour or two to calm my fiance down and finally convince him that this man was no where to be found. From that moment on, if I ventured far from where I was used to in Cairo, either my future brother in law, my future father in law, or my fiance was with me. And I didn't mind that. [Smile]
Posts: 130 | From: Michigan | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ShannonAmr:
I had my first (and only) bad experience at a church of all places! I decided to visit Old Cairo, the Coptic (Christian) side of Egypt. I went to visit the church of Mari Girgis first. And than, as I was readying myself to walk through the church cemetery and onto the next church, I ran into a group that was touring both churches. A woman in the group invited me along to view a small Coptic museum on the premises that was only open for the group. So I went. But I felt odd standing with the group and listening to their tour guide, so I wandered around a bit, though I stayed close by. Than this little guy, who said his name was Mohamed, approached me. He didn't speak English well, but I could tell he was willing to show me around the museum, so I followed him. He kept taking me through all these corridors and trying to tell me about things, but every room was dark and we were half running through them. I took pictures with my flash, just so I could see what was inside the room. Some of the rooms were small, so I had to lean forward and everytime I did, this little guy would walk behind me just so he could brush up against me. Ugh! I figured, this place was small... so it would be easy to get away from him if I needed to. Conveniently, EVERY room he took me into didn't have working lights. Or so he said. NICE! Than... As I turned to trace my path back to the outside, he grabbed my arm and asked me "Bosni" or something like that. Turns out he wanted me to kiss him. Ugh! I said "No" politely and than tried to leave, several times. He ended up grabbing my head and tried to pull me down to kiss him. I forgot to mention that he was like a foot shorter than me and I'm only 5 foot 6! Anyway... He was strong, but LUCKILY we heard footsteps and he let me go. I started running through the halls and after what seemed like forever I came upon the woman who had invited me to view the museum with them. I asked her "Do you speak English well?" And she said, "A little dear. What is it?" I wanted to tell her what was happening, but I heard Mohamed coming... So I started running again. I made it to the front door of the museum and started to open it. Just than a hand shot out and slammed the door. Than he flipped me around, tried to kiss me again. I pushed him. He grabbed my chest first and the second I got his hand free, he grabbed my butt, and than my... well, you know. TRUE! Every time I would pull his hand from one place, his other hand would shoot up somewhere else. And he just kept saying "I'm sorry". Ugh! What a FREAK! So... I pretty much ran from that place while he was yelling after me "Welcome to Cairo". I made my way quickly through the cemetery and to the next church, the church of Abu Serga. It was beautiful. But the poor guy who showed me around that church got a very cold shoulder from me. I feel so bad about that, but I was still so shaken. Than, as I was leaving and making my way back to the first church to leave the area... I saw that little Mohamed guy running past some head stones... seriously! He must've been following me. As soon as he knew I saw him, he walked up to me and tried to get me to go someplace with him in the cemetery. I just kept moving at a quick speed saying "NO thank you!" Than I acted like I was going to yell to a man I saw working in the cemetery. That's when I heard Mohamed say "Sorry" again and than "Welcome to Cairo!" and than he disappeared. I than walked to the first church and tried to speak with a guard at the gate, but he understood very little English so he brought somebody else up... After several attempts, the bishop of the church finally came out. He was so nice. I explained to him the situation and they attempted to find Mohamed, but he had taken off on the Metro. What an awful time. Fun to be in that holy area, but GEESH! Of all the places to run into a jerk! They promised they would talk to him for me... FIRE him actually. They couldn't believe someone would do such a thing. And than I left... I took the metro back to Cairo. Back to safety. [Embarrassed] ) So... NOW you know of the only bad thing that's happened to me in Egypt. [Smile] UGH! [Frown]

How could a Copt be named Mohamed?
Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
Well... I took the train back into Garden City and met up with my fiance and his brother who both wanted to jump back on the train with me and go to the church so they could face this man who had harrassed me. It took me an hour or two to calm my fiance down and finally convince him that this man was no where to be found. From that moment on, if I ventured far from where I was used to in Cairo, either my future brother in law, my future father in law, or my fiance was with me. And I didn't mind that. [Smile]

Why would a Copt be named Mohamed?
ShannonAmr
Member # 10352

Member Rated:
Well... Honestly, I thought the exact same thing. But because I had seen him leading the group earlier and they all seemed to trust him, I assumed I could trust him too. And when I talked to the bishop, he said Mohamed did work for him, so... I do not know...
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
Well... Honestly, I thought the exact same thing. But because I had seen him leading the group earlier and they all seemed to trust him, I assumed I could trust him too. And when I talked to the bishop, he said Mohamed did work for him, so... I do not know...

You spoke to a Bishop? And this Bishop understood Engish? A Egyptian man called Mohamed working at a Coptic Church?
ShannonAmr
Member # 10352

Member Rated:
Yup, I spoke with the bishop at the Mari Girgis church. He was quite intimidating at first, but than not... and he understood English perfectly. [Smile]

The bishop knew of this Mohamed, but he didn't actually work for the church. He supposedly worked for the coptic museum between the two churches.

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, some of you people don't have a problem to talk so freely and excessively (right to the smallest detail) about a severe sexual harrassment case. Or is it because of anonymity? I could not do that, I'd feel too ashamed.
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ShannonAmr
Member # 10352

Member Rated:
Why be ashamed? If it's not your fault, you have nothing to be ashamed of.
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
You see I made experience that sort of too but I could not talk about it like that. Even if in my opinion I didn't do anything wrong to create the situation to let something happen what was not right at all - I still feel guilty.
ShannonAmr
Member # 10352

Member Rated:
I can understand that. I guess that maybe it was easier for me to talk about, because I didn't let it affect me. I moved on from it quickly and just wrote it off as an experience. I wasn't happy that it happened, but it made Egypt seem more real to me and less like a fantasy.
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please don't feel guilty, Tigerlily. This type of thing is never your fault. [Frown]
Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[/qb][/QUOTE]Why would a Copt be named Mohamed? [/QB][/QUOTE]

he's not a copt, probably a muslim working there

Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Snoozin:
Please don't feel guilty, Tigerlily. This type of thing is never your fault. [Frown]

Oh, don't worry Snoozin, usually I am a tough one. I just don't really want to get reminded of that incident because it made me feel quite helpless looking. I didn't know how to react because I found myself so suddenly in this kind of akward situation. If it happen to me today, tomorrow........ I'd definitely know how to react properly.
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Once, I was walking to work in Baltimore, 7:30 in the morning, and a really rough looking guy was approaching me from the other direction. Probably homeless. I said hi to him because I didn't want him to think I was some sort of snob. I guess he took this as permission to grab my ass! [Eek!]

I freaked out and started CHASING HIM! I had mace and I was going to mace his ass, I was screaming...but couldn't keep up. He turned around and called me a crazy bitch. I have no idea what got into me.....I should have been running in the OTHER direction. [Roll Eyes]

Me, too, next time I will know how to react.

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LiveItUp
Member # 4811

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for LiveItUp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Horrible, horrific.....what's wrong with these people? Do they like these actions by them to be what tourists/or any woman remember of their experience? hmn!! I think that also these public places need to let the law down on their workers about getting fired or jailed if they commit these crimes. Don't tell me you were the first that happened to at the museum?

I have had some sexual verbal harrasment when walking for exercise with friend by sea Corniche Alex....it was with younger boys ....My friend told them in Arabic, "We are old enough to be your mother, you say this to your mother?" They did scatter off...but it is a shame one can not walk freely without this disrespect. What are they learning at HOME?
There aren't policemen to be found readily in my opinion.

Posts: 395 | From: Whereever I go | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ViVaLaDiVa
Member # 6818

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ViVaLaDiVa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also had such experience in the house we lived in b4 with my husband.Actually i was a real freshman in egypt still it was i think my first week here or so.
We had a security guard at the entrance and one day when i was coming home i found a home delivery guy beside the elevator,so i decided to let him go first and then i call the elevator again and i go up also,but the security guard told me No,madam its fine u go with him he goes to the 5th floor and he stops at the 3rd for u.So since the guard said its fine i was relaxed.When we reached the 2nd floor the guy stopped the elevator and wanted to kiss me and touch me also i threw his hands away from me but suddenly the light went off in the elevator.i still dont know if it was coz of the elevator or he got them off.anyway ,what i did IN THE DARK i started to kick him with my legs and hit him with my arms too and pushed any button on the elevator so it started to move again and the lights came back.it stopped and whehn i wanted to get out the guy pushed me back and wanted to start touching me again.then i gave him a very big kick into his balls so like this i had enough time to get out and run to my apartment.
When my husband knew about it,he first fought with the guard for being so stupid and fired him and then he went to look for this guy to Mo`men.The manager was trying to calm him down b4 the guy comes back to the shop not to have a big scene but my husband was furious,so when the guy came back he gave him a good beat and also he got him fired.Thank god we moved from that house coz i really hated it after this incident.

Posts: 140 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ViVaLaDiVa
Member # 6818

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ViVaLaDiVa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also had such experience in the house we lived in b4 with my husband.Actually i was a real freshman in egypt still it was i think my first week here or so.
We had a security guard at the entrance and one day when i was coming home i found a home delivery guy beside the elevator,so i decided to let him go first and then i call the elevator again and i go up also,but the security guard told me No,madam its fine u go with him he goes to the 5th floor and he stops at the 3rd for u.So since the guard said its fine i was relaxed.When we reached the 2nd floor the guy stopped the elevator and wanted to kiss me and touch me also i threw his hands away from me but suddenly the light went off in the elevator.i still dont know if it was coz of the elevator or he got them off.anyway ,what i did IN THE DARK i started to kick him with my legs and hit him with my arms too and pushed any button on the elevator so it started to move again and the lights came back.it stopped and whehn i wanted to get out the guy pushed me back and wanted to start touching me again.then i gave him a very big kick into his balls so like this i had enough time to get out and run to my apartment.
When my husband knew about it,he first fought with the guard for being so stupid and fired him and then he went to look for this guy to Mo`men.The manager was trying to calm him down b4 the guy comes back to the shop not to have a big scene but my husband was furious,so when the guy came back he gave him a good beat and also he got him fired.Thank god we moved from that house coz i really hated it after this incident.

Posts: 140 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ShannonAmr
Member # 10352

Member Rated:
Wow Viva! How awful! [Frown]
I'm glad you were able to be aggressive towards him. So many women I know wouldn't have been. I think you handled the situation very well. And thankgoodness your husband stepped in and helped get rid of that guy!

seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
When you are in a new country, just really arrived, unsure of your location, availability of help, you become very scared.
I was just glad I was with a group and there were men as part of the group. They made me feel safe, much safer than the waiters!!
All down to experience I guess!!

Last April I had to fly home from Cairo alone.
I had horrible flights. Cairo to Larnaca to Malta to London. It was the only one I could get for the date.
On the second leg the plane was half empty, I laid down across the 3 seats and fell asleep. I woke to someone with their hands between my thighs stroking me!!
The man behind had slipped his hand between the seats.
I jumped up smashed him across the face with a bottle of water, and screamed for the crew.
They moved me to the front of the aircraft, the captain came and took details. I cried and shook all the way to Malta. The crew were magnificent, the passengers were so lovely. The captain had radioed ahead and the police were waiting on the runway as we landed.
I had to get off first, then identify him as he got off. They arrested him on the steps of the plane and took him off in a car. They whizzed me through immigration to the police office, and then into Floriana, to the vice squad headquarters.
Two lovely policewoman took all the statements, held him and me for 4 hours ( I missed my connection )
He denied it. They said they could take it to court, but as I had no witnesses it would be hard to prosecute him.
They said they would look on the database for any similair crimes and if I wanted recall me for a court case.
They then rushed me back to another flight to London.
I passed him on the way out of the office and he was a smiling, and pretending that nothing happened.
I got the flight, went to collect my luggage and then when all the passengers had gone to customs realised my bags had ben taken off in malta and not put on the next flight!!! I was distraught by this time!!
He was an egyptian man on business from Cairo to malta.He had long greast hair, short like Danny De Vito, wearing mirrored sunglasses, and a very shiny blue suit.
I still see his smiling face to this day!!!
My advice never never never fall asleep on a plane with a man sitting behind you. Never never let children travel alone on flights.
I feel sick right now thinking about this but want people to know the dangers.
Thankfully nothing else has happened to me, and both with egyptians............................
[Mad] [Mad]

I don't blame you, some men are just classless
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PortSaid
Member # 10337

Rate Member
I just had a funny thought. lol
Egyptian men are like mosquitos. You'd better avoid strong perfumes in order no to attract them.

Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PortSaid:
Cocoapuffs if this guy dared to touch you desapite the fact you were wearing hijab then it is the end of many of my hopes.
Because I intended to wear one next time I will be in Cairo so I will be left alone.

You will be harrassed less than when you're not wearing it but it's not a complete guarantee.

In my experience it doesn't make a huge difference what you wear in terms of clothing but if you put on a veil the harrassment becomes significantly less.

And, yes, I also know stories of veiled girls being groped.

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cocoapuffs
Member # 9452

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cocoapuffs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PortSaid:

well, I do get much less harassment than other people. Ive been in Cairo almost 7 months now, and Ive been hissed at maybe twice, and the worst Ive had beside the above mentioned episode...is sometimes I walk by and a policeman starts singing a song "yaaa habibiiii...."

so I definitely get more respect....

Posts: 120 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
malak
Member # 3654

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for malak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was 8 months pregnant, wearing maternity overalls and a long sleeve t-shirt. I was followed and harrassed, rub up against and bum pinched! I just felt sad for these people who chased around a pregnant women.
After I had my child, I was wlaking to merryland, pushing my buggie, at around 3pm afternoon, a car followed me all along the road, at a slow pace, psssting out the window. An older grey haired man was waving money at me and had his dick out! My inital thoughts were, how small, and then, how insulting..... Also what did he expect me to do with my child, leave it???? Got his number plate though, reported it and don't know what happened after that.

Posts: 288 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by malak:
I was 8 months pregnant, wearing maternity overalls and a long sleeve t-shirt. I was followed and harrassed, rub up against and bum pinched! I just felt sad for these people who chased around a pregnant women.
After I had my child, I was wlaking to merryland, pushing my buggie, at around 3pm afternoon, a car followed me all along the road, at a slow pace, psssting out the window. An older grey haired man was waving money at me and had his dick out! My inital thoughts were, how small, and then, how insulting..... Also what did he expect me to do with my child, leave it???? Got his number plate though, reported it and don't know what happened after that.

you know there was a very famous prostitute in alexandria who always walked around with a baby as a camouflage, its so sad [Frown] but it could explain why the guy was not turned off by the buggy
Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barbapapa
Member # 10031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barbapapa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 7ayat- nefsi fe sobya:
you know there was a very famous prostitute in alexandria who always walked around with a baby as a camouflage, its so sad [Frown] but it could explain why the guy was not turned off by the buggy [/QB]

Oh, so this is true? One night, I was eating at a restaurant with my fiancé, and there was this woman outside, with a young child. My fiancé told me, see, this woman, I bet she's a prositute. See, she's alone in the street, and she's looking at every single car passing. I said, oh, come on, she's with her little daughter, she's only waiting for her husband I think... So maybe he was right...
Posts: 531 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by - Maz -:
There is a law against this here: a man touches a woman against her will can get up to 6 months prison.

Now the only problem is how to prove it:

An Egyptian woman would scream and shout, making a public scandal as to gather as many people as possible, and after some time some police officer would appear too.

Hi Maz,

I've been groped several times – mostly by teenagers passing by on bikes or scooters – and I have raised a fuzz, but in most cases people looked the other way.
[Mad]
One time though a guy who grabbed my butt from behind was beaten up by a couple of guys who had watched the incident.
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by malak:
I was wlaking to merryland, pushing my buggie, at around 3pm afternoon, a car followed me all along the road, at a slow pace, psssting out the window. An older grey haired man was waving money at me and had his dick out!

Oh God, I hate that!!! [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

The guys following you around in their car or stopping and opening the door, asking you to get in really upset me. It's so insulting! But those who do this usually have new cars they are most likely very proud of, so I little kick can do wonders ...

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com