EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Sponsorship.....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sponsorship.....
Sonomod_me
Member # 10522

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonomod_me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When putting someone up for "sponsorship" for work permits and residency visas in Egypt can that sponsor be an ex-spouse, or even an ex-in-law?
Posts: 1765 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sohyla
Member # 8287

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sohyla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would say yes as long as they can slip the right people enough money [Smile]
Posts: 516 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The one who gets a residency permit for a "wife of an Egyptian" is her Egyptian husband (not an ex), and the one who gets the residency permit along with a work permit is her employer; so unless your ex-in-laws will be employing you, my guess is that the answer is "no". As far as I know these are the main ways of getting a residency permit, unless you are buying property or investing a huge sum in a business here.

I don't believe that the idea of "sponsorship" as known in the US is used for getting an Egyptian visas, but they might be able to "smooth the wheels" as minry80 says, if they know the right people.

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Residence in Egypt for Foreign Nationals
Egypt grants legitimate foreign nationals the right for temporary residence in the country. There are two main cases of residency permits in Egypt:

Special Residence: is usually granted for a period of 10 years, renewable. Special residence is granted to those born in Egypt prior to 26/5/1952 or those having resided in the country for the 20 years preceding 26/5/1952 and whose stay has been uninterrupted; it is also granted to their wives and minor children.

Ordinary Residence: is granted for a period of either 3 or 5 years.

Three-Year Residence
Non-nationals are entitled to obtain temporary 3-year residence (renewable) in Egypt if they belong to any of the following categories:
1 Non-national husbands of Egyptians.
2 Children:
Minor children entitled to special or ordinary residence in like manner to their deceased father.
Adult children whose father is entitled to special, ordinary or 3-year residence provided a source of income is available to them.
Adult Palestinian male children of those employed by the Department for the Governor General of Gaza, or of those retired there from, who have completed their studies and are not working in the country.
3 Those employed by the government, public institutions, public sector companies
and public business sector.
4 Palestinians employed by the Department for the Governor General of Gaza and
those retired there from.
5 Palestinians in possession of travel documents issued solely by Egyptian
authorities who have been resident in Egypt for a period of 10 years.
6 Non-nationals who receive a monthly pension from the National Authority for
Insurance and Pensions.
7 Non-national residents of homes for the elderly and disabled.
8 Political refugees.
9 Refugees registered at the UN Higher Commission for Refugees (UNHCR).
10 Spouses of those non-nationals entitled to special or ordinary residence.
11 Egyptian spouses who forfeited their nationality of origin following marriage to
non-nationals and the acquisition of the latter's citizenship.
12 Spouses and children of those non-nationals exempt from residence permits and
restrictions.
13 Non-nationals who, for any reason, waived their entitlement to special or ordinary
residence.
14 Those non-nationals employed by the Swiss Institute for Architectural and
Archeological Research in Egypt.
15 Non-nationals who, according to international treaties, are entitled to obtain 3-
year residence.
16 Those granted approval on 3-year residence from the Ministry of Interior.
17 Spouses and children of those non-nationals entitled to 3-year residence under
any of the previous cases.

Five-Year Residence
Non-nationals are entitled to obtain temporary 5-year residence (renewable) in Egypt if they belong to any of the following categories:
1 Investors.
2 Egyptians and their minor children who forfeited their nationality of origin due to
their admission to a foreign citizenship.
3 Children:
a. Of Egyptian mother.
b. Whose father was granted Egyptian citizenship.
c. Adult children whose mother is entitled to special, ordinary or 5-year residence in case of the death of the father.
4 Those of age 60 or more who have been resident in Egypt for 10 years provided
that a source of income is available to them.
5 Non-nationals who, according to international treaties, are entitled to obtain 5-
year residence.
6 Spouses and widows of Egyptians.
7 Spouses of those non-nationals entitled to ordinary residence.
8 Spouses and children of those non-nationals entitled to 5-year residence under
any of the previous cases.
http://www.embegyptireland.ie/consular-visa.htm#Residence

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semsema
Member # 5415

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semsema     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a pity other countries don't have these stipulations!

--------------------
Whitelily

Posts: 660 | From: Unfinished City | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonomod_me
Member # 10522

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonomod_me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With enough family members in the "security services" and upper escheleons of the military I am sure that greasing the wheels is no problem.

And this is a Ireland website:

This information is for Irish and European citizens residing in Ireland only.

Top of page.

I know a few divorced couples; the ex-husband Egyptian and the ex-wife American.

Really no problem. But I wanted to see what kind of responses I would recieve.

--------------------
Don't freak out, sonomod, Organized Crime, whatever. If I annoy you its me!

Posts: 1765 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

quote:
Originally posted by Sonomod_me:

I am aware of that, but I think you will find that it is standard information. However, if you find any difference on the Egyptian Embassy in the US website, perhaps you could post it for others to see the difference.
Sonomod_me
Member # 10522

quote:
Originally posted by newcomer:
quote:
Originally posted by Sonomod_me:

I am aware of that, but I think you will find that it is standard information. However, if you find any difference on the Egyptian Embassy in the US website, perhaps you could post it for others to see the difference.
Unfortunately there are only two types of visas noted on the US embassy website: tourist and business (residency for business).

Nice quirk in the new administration is that they don't have to post all options available for US citizens. We must educate ourselves and ask around.

Priority and flexibility is given to USA citzens over most others due to the foreign policy agreements.

Besides most visa receiptants to the USA haven't been coming from Cairo, they've been pouring in from the delta.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com