EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » EMBASSY OF CAIRO - MY STORY (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: EMBASSY OF CAIRO - MY STORY
AshkiA
Member # 10944

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted      Profile for AshkiA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok guys,
For those of you who have married and have been to the US Embassy in Cairo... I was wondering if anyone has simular or not simular stories about them.

First of all I will start off telling you that I live in Alexandria. So when we make the aggonizing trip to Cairo, we make sure that we have the most accurate and plentiful information that we can get.

So the first time we arrived there we didn't know what to expect. We did our resarch online, but have been told so many different stories, we didn't know what to belive. We were officially married & legally, i might add lol. We were both so nervous, sweaty hands, nervous laughs,telling eachother repeatedly to "calm down". Personally I felt that I was more calm due to the fact that I was in American territory.

So two days later we had to make another trip to Cairo. It was sooooo hot this day and stupid me decided to wear black. LOL Anyway, I have my digital camera which they confinscated at the entrance, which has all of our pictures on it. Guess what or petition was missing guys?????
PICTURESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I could have died right then and there. "no" she said, "now you have to send the photos by TNT". I was almost in tears, knowing that my flight back to the States was the next day.

We ate at KFC (too expensive) and took a bus back to Alex. On the way back i just sat there, saying, I have to go back home...I have my job, my car (which is accumulating parking fee's at the airport)......But I remember the night before when my husband in his SLEEP held me so tight asking me to never leave him, to promise... (LOL He's a frequent sleep talker.)
I chose to stay with him, besides it wouldn't be fair to leave him to finish all the papers and deal with the cold embassy on his own. I AM HIS WIFE NOW.

So for SIX WEEKS, I am waiting for our case number. Which was pure HELL. We finally got a knock at the door from TNT with our VISA application and case number. Fortunately we had already a copy of the application and had completed all that was needed for the CR1 VISA application. Then......this is when it gets really good. LOL............
We need my affidavit of support papers noterized. ANOTHER trip to Cairo. This time i wore light colors, but my MIL decided she wanted to get out of the house and wore all black, completely covered. I was worried about her getting too hot, and she has a bad heart as well.

So we walk in the Embassy and was asked if i have a cell phone or camera...etc..my reply. NOPE I have learned my lesson the first 6 times i have been here, said with dry sarcasm. LOL Felt good to say though. [Wink] We go inside and down the stairs, I am anxious to go to the AMERICAN bathroom, LOLLLLLL. I took my time in the bathroom too, enjoyed the more western enviornment. (pathetic i know) Sat down and joked around with my hubby,everyone is watching us. Then our number is called. I go there and give the paper and they tell me they will call my name. *Sigh* They always run you in circles like this????? Anyway, so I get up to window number 3, a guy I have never seen working there before is standing infront of me and asks if i can pick up the phone to speak with him, I said ok. My husband standing back away from us. He asks me,"How did you two meet?",I paused thinking, whyyyyy???, i told him,"we met online" He asked, "how long do you know him?" I told him, "over a year" I'm thinking to myself what does this have to do with noterizing my affidavit of support???? But I'm a polite girl. *sigh* He then asks me "when is your visa interview?" I told him, "I'm here to noterize this paper so I can submit the VISA application." WHATTTTTTTTT!?!?!?!?!?! He then proceeded to ask...if we were married, I told him yes we are, and he asked how long I have been in Egypt. OK, I didn't realize I have to go through ANOTHER INTERVIEW to get a piece of paper noterized!!!!!!! THEN,listen to this. The clearly AMERICAN man, asks me IF HE SPEAKS ENGLISH!!!!!!!! OK, that was so insulting, i swear to this day i want to file a complaint of this incident. He then asks to speak to my husband and asks him basically the same questions. We leave the Embassy and go directly to the TNT office to submit the application. Now we are currently waiting the 10 business days (a week from yesterday) for a response.

I tell this story for those of you who have gone through the same BS, or getting ready to go through it. Are these the people who represent my country???? I'm almost ashamed to bring my Egyptian husband there!!!!!!

I have been on the verge of going there to beg with tears in my eyes. Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee get this done quickly so I can go back HOMEEEEEEEEEEE. I won't leave without my husband by my side. I won't.

Posts: 177 | From: Alexandria,Egypt / Missouri,USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aimanmarof
Member # 11036

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for aimanmarof     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
0126841850 call me [Smile]
Posts: 3 | From: egypt | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
martha
Member # 10281

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for martha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes they can be rude at the embassy. But the one who was rude to us was English speaking Egyptian. He also asked us how we met, and it was just to get the no objection paperwork done.

Wouldn't even speak to my then fiancee, after he asked him a question in arabic.

They are also always rude when I call there.

Do not like to answer questions, in general don't want to be bothered.

Posts: 58 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AshkiA:
Ok guys,
For those of you who have married and have been to the US Embassy in Cairo... I was wondering if anyone has simular or not simular stories about them.

First of all I will start off telling you that I live in Alexandria. So when we make the aggonizing trip to Cairo, we make sure that we have the most accurate and plentiful information that we can get.

So the first time we arrived there we didn't know what to expect. We did our resarch online, but have been told so many different stories, we didn't know what to belive. We were officially married & legally, i might add lol. We were both so nervous, sweaty hands, nervous laughs,telling eachother repeatedly to "calm down". Personally I felt that I was more calm due to the fact that I was in American territory.

So two days later we had to make another trip to Cairo. It was sooooo hot this day and stupid me decided to wear black. LOL Anyway, I have my digital camera which they confinscated at the entrance, which has all of our pictures on it. Guess what or petition was missing guys?????
PICTURESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I could have died right then and there. "no" she said, "now you have to send the photos by TNT". I was almost in tears, knowing that my flight back to the States was the next day.

We ate at KFC (too expensive) and took a bus back to Alex. On the way back i just sat there, saying, I have to go back home...I have my job, my car (which is accumulating parking fee's at the airport)......But I remember the night before when my husband in his SLEEP held me so tight asking me to never leave him, to promise... (LOL He's a frequent sleep talker.)
I chose to stay with him, besides it wouldn't be fair to leave him to finish all the papers and deal with the cold embassy on his own. I AM HIS WIFE NOW.

So for SIX WEEKS, I am waiting for our case number. Which was pure HELL. We finally got a knock at the door from TNT with our VISA application and case number. Fortunately we had already a copy of the application and had completed all that was needed for the CR1 VISA application. Then......this is when it gets really good. LOL............
We need my affidavit of support papers noterized. ANOTHER trip to Cairo. This time i wore light colors, but my MIL decided she wanted to get out of the house and wore all black, completely covered. I was worried about her getting too hot, and she has a bad heart as well.

So we walk in the Embassy and was asked if i have a cell phone or camera...etc..my reply. NOPE I have learned my lesson the first 6 times i have been here, said with dry sarcasm. LOL Felt good to say though. [Wink] We go inside and down the stairs, I am anxious to go to the AMERICAN bathroom, LOLLLLLL. I took my time in the bathroom too, enjoyed the more western enviornment. (pathetic i know) Sat down and joked around with my hubby,everyone is watching us. Then our number is called. I go there and give the paper and they tell me they will call my name. *Sigh* They always run you in circles like this????? Anyway, so I get up to window number 3, a guy I have never seen working there before is standing infront of me and asks if i can pick up the phone to speak with him, I said ok. My husband standing back away from us. He asks me,"How did you two meet?",I paused thinking, whyyyyy???, i told him,"we met online" He asked, "how long do you know him?" I told him, "over a year" I'm thinking to myself what does this have to do with noterizing my affidavit of support???? But I'm a polite girl. *sigh* He then asks me "when is your visa interview?" I told him, "I'm here to noterize this paper so I can submit the VISA application." WHATTTTTTTTT!?!?!?!?!?! He then proceeded to ask...if we were married, I told him yes we are, and he asked how long I have been in Egypt. OK, I didn't realize I have to go through ANOTHER INTERVIEW to get a piece of paper noterized!!!!!!! THEN,listen to this. The clearly AMERICAN man, asks me IF HE SPEAKS ENGLISH!!!!!!!! OK, that was so insulting, i swear to this day i want to file a complaint of this incident. He then asks to speak to my husband and asks him basically the same questions. We leave the Embassy and go directly to the TNT office to submit the application. Now we are currently waiting the 10 business days (a week from yesterday) for a response.

I tell this story for those of you who have gone through the same BS, or getting ready to go through it. Are these the people who represent my country???? I'm almost ashamed to bring my Egyptian husband there!!!!!!

I have been on the verge of going there to beg with tears in my eyes. Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee get this done quickly so I can go back HOMEEEEEEEEEEE. I won't leave without my husband by my side. I won't.

Each time I was at the Embassy I had a lovely time. They were so fast and polite with me, then again, I'm not applying for a visa for my hubby either. That might be why.

I know what you mean about soaking up the Western atmosphere too, loved it! [Wink]

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AshkiA
Member # 10944

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AshkiA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know if there is any kind of way to speed up the VISA process if there is an 'emergency' back home????
Posts: 177 | From: Alexandria,Egypt / Missouri,USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL...Aiman you are a comic genius [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by aimanmarof:
0126841850 call me [Smile]

Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The people at the American embassy were actually very kind and helpful to my husband and me. It was the Egyptians that gave us the run around. When we got the no objection paper the man (American) asked me if the man I was with was my fiance..I said, yes. He looked at both of us and smiled then said, Congratulations! He signed the paper, gave it back to me and explained the next process. I believe that sometimes they get suspicious of certain couples (big age difference and the like) and tend to be rude to them.

quote:
Originally posted by martha:
Yes they can be rude at the embassy. But the one who was rude to us was English speaking Egyptian. He also asked us how we met, and it was just to get the no objection paperwork done.

Wouldn't even speak to my then fiancee, after he asked him a question in arabic.

They are also always rude when I call there.

Do not like to answer questions, in general don't want to be bothered.

Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Aren't the bathrooms at the embassy wonderful? I could totally live in there [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:
[/qb]

Each time I was at the Embassy I had a lovely time. They were so fast and polite with me, then again, I'm not applying for a visa for my hubby either. That might be why.

I know what you mean about soaking up the Western atmosphere too, loved it! [Wink] [/QB][/QUOTE]

seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Madame M.:
Aren't the bathrooms at the embassy wonderful? I could totally live in there [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:

I know what you mean about soaking up the Western atmosphere too, loved it! [Wink] [/QB]

[/QB][/QUOTE]

Anything compared to a hole in the ground or dirty leaky toilets surrounded by the tiniest enclosure available to mankind like I have seen in most public places !

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cleo_md
Member # 11079

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cleo_md     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am sorry to say the worst part about the US Embassy in Cairo is actually the Egyptian "American Wanna Be's" there. THey feel they have alot of power in their hands and just want to enjoy torturing people.

I've been to the Embassy twice. Once I dealt with the kind I mentioned above and actually ended up demanding to speak with a supervisor and when I actually got my visa - One of the Egyptians in there called me to his window and told me rudely " I would pay to know how you got this visa"

My second time I went there after getting married to my US citizen husband . We had an American lady for the interview which lasted 6 mins after which I was granted my greencard papers.

I am a proud Egyptian but I am sincerely ashamed to share a nationality with the majority of Egyptians working at the Embassy.

Posts: 7 | From: USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

Icon 1 posted      Profile for _Masrawi_     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cleo_md:
I am sorry to say the worst part about the US Embassy in Cairo is actually the Egyptian "American Wanna Be's" there. THey feel they have alot of power in their hands and just want to enjoy torturing people.

I've been to the Embassy twice. Once I dealt with the kind I mentioned above and actually ended up demanding to speak with a supervisor and when I actually got my visa - One of the Egyptians in there called me to his window and told me rudely " I would pay to know how you got this visa"

My second time I went there after getting married to my US citizen husband . We had an American lady for the interview which lasted 6 mins after which I was granted my greencard papers.

I am a proud Egyptian but I am sincerely ashamed to share a nationality with the majority of Egyptians working at the Embassy.

that's a very common problem in egypt ... and not only with the egyptians working in foreign embassies. take, for example, the average government employee involved in any form of public service ... he or she will treat u like they're doing u a favor. not to mention the meekly "ameen ilshorta" that will treat u with the utmost disrespect even though u r driving a car that costs more than he will ever make in his lifetime. it's a power trip ...

of course we have abdelnasser to "thank" for that ...

Posts: 2049 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sohyla
Member # 8287

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sohyla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The last time I was in the embassy I had to ask to speak with an American also. My husband and I went to the window, and the woman wouldn't even look at me, nor was she speaking in English.
Posts: 516 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

THEN,listen to this. The clearly AMERICAN man, asks me IF HE SPEAKS ENGLISH!!!!!!!! OK, that was so insulting, i swear to this day i want to file a complaint of this incident.

Wait. Why is it insulting if they ask whether or not your husband speaks english? Perhaps you're fluent in Arabic and you guys communicate in that language. Perhaps you're both fluent in another language. I know a lot of couples who have different mother tongues but are fluent in a common 2nd language and communicate in that language.

It's a totally valid question. Not everyone who's applying for a visa to the US speaks english, you know.

And you should expect to be examined when you met online. Part of their jobs is to make sure the marriage isn't a sham to enter the country, etc. and online/holiday romances are a red-flag for them. Good luck.

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

quote:

well imagine, they work around amerians everyday, i wonder what that's like..... i wonder how the americans view them (the egyptians?). i'm sure there's a little bit of watercooler chat about that. [Wink]
VanillaBullshit
Member # 10873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VanillaBullshit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

WTF?

Someone actually said this to you?

I would have grabbed his shirt and slammed his head repeatedly against those prison-like metal bars.

Posts: 2404 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] I would have paid money to see that hellraiser [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
VanillaBullshit
Member # 10873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VanillaBullshit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seriously, how rude & unprofessional is it to say crap like that?

Do these people not go thru even a basic screening process?

"Hi, my name is mohammed, I'm an irritating shithead, here's my resume."

"Excellent! You start Monday, please remember to be as bitchy, malicious & unhelpful as possible."

--------------------

Posts: 2404 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Timo
Member # 7193

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by _hellraiser:

"Excellent! You start Monday, please remember to be as bitchy, malicious & unhelpful as possible."

LoL ...Good one ...but for banging sum one's head against the steel bars ...TSU TSU TSU ....havent u seen the white 7 foot marine mountains of muscle overthere ?? [Razz]
Posts: 420 | From: LALA Land | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by _hellraiser:

It used to be like that in England if you worked on the public counters for the old Department of Health and Social Security. I had a number of friends who worked there in the 1980s, and they told me that it was unwritten policy that anyone claiming unemployment, sickness or other related benefits was to be assumed to be a liar, skiver, and illiterate and treated accordingly.
Any DHSS employee working face to face with the public in claims who showed them any kind of respect was removed from counter duty. This happened to 2 of my friends.

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Egyptian Mafia
Member # 10974

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egyptian Mafia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Same issues when I went to the CDN embassy!!!

I went to register myself that I arrived in cairo...and I went off swearing at the ppl there...afterall they are egyptians not canadians...so I was like....

"Bitch, I am Canadian...treat me with f... respect...If you wont and keep treating me this way..i will phone foreign affairs!"

and a blonde canadian lady came out...got me pepsi??!!!! and registered me!

thank god I did not go in and asked for a VISA or immigration!

Egyptians suck at Customer service and are $hit when are ask to work!

Posts: 183 | From: Toronto, Canada / Cairo, Egypt | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AshkiA
Member # 10944

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AshkiA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ExptinCAI:
quote:

THEN,listen to this. The clearly AMERICAN man, asks me IF HE SPEAKS ENGLISH!!!!!!!! OK, that was so insulting, i swear to this day i want to file a complaint of this incident.

Wait. Why is it insulting if they ask whether or not your husband speaks english? Perhaps you're fluent in Arabic and you guys communicate in that language. Perhaps you're both fluent in another language. I know a lot of couples who have different mother tongues but are fluent in a common 2nd language and communicate in that language.

It's a totally valid question. Not everyone who's applying for a visa to the US speaks english, you know.

And you should expect to be examined when you met online. Part of their jobs is to make sure the marriage isn't a sham to enter the country, etc. and online/holiday romances are a red-flag for them. Good luck.

See the thing is, we went to the window first to speak to him and we spoke together infront of this guy. He most defenately said it in a sarcastic tone. I'm not that naive. Also, I realize it's something to be suspicious about, an online romance, but i was there to get a paper noterized, this was NOT an interview, this was NOT any way or form a type of permission. I can go to the damn BANK to get a noterization if i wanted and it's none of their business about my personal life with my husband. If they want to ask questions about our VISA info then be prepared to ANSWER any questions I might have. AT LEAST!!!!!!!!! The guy REFUSED to answer ANY of my questions!!!!!!!! Also, I would like to address, there is not a big age difference between my husband and I, I'm not ugly or fat, neither is my husband,and I could have chosen (and yes even egyptian) relationship possibilities in the US. There is no excuse for being treated as if you are unimportant or worthless. I can be skeptical of someone but it doesn't mean I will be rude to him/her. BE PROFESSIONAL!!!!!
Guys I swear I've had it up to here (hand over head)I am getting so frustrated with everything. I get so frustrated I find myself crying without even knowing that I was doing so. I understand it's all a process etc. etc. The thing is it's everything all together, missing home, getting messages from family back home..this and this happened...when are you coming back...on top of that dealing with the embassy [WHICH said they would reply to me within 10 business days and it's been 12, I even counted Memorial Day out!!!]
I'm out of meds, out of money and out of patience but I won't leave my husband so I swallow it all. I don't want to put the stress on everyone else. *sigh* I THINK I have the RIGHT to be OFFENDED at the sarcastic and rude behavior this "AMERICAN" gave to us. The messed up thing, I smiled, said "thank you so much" and walked away. I am a very soft hearted,open minded, and understanding person and little gets me heated like that. Belive me...I had reason.
That's all

seabreeze
Member # 10289

quote:
Originally posted by Egyptian Mafia:
Same issues when I went to the CDN embassy!!!

I went to register myself that I arrived in cairo...and I went off swearing at the ppl there...afterall they are egyptians not canadians...so I was like....

"Bitch, I am Canadian...treat me with f... respect...If you wont and keep treating me this way..i will phone foreign affairs!"

and a blonde canadian lady came out...got me pepsi??!!!! and registered me!

thank god I did not go in and asked for a VISA or immigration!

Egyptians suck at Customer service and are $hit when are ask to work!

agreed 100%
customer service isn't the same ANYWHERE like how it is in the west....the only way you can go is down once you leave but Egyptians have made it an art form to be rude at work....(generally)

ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL. Sorry, but you are spoiled when it comes to 'acting professional' and 'customer service'

It is NOT the same as in the US in most parts of the world.

If you have a complaint against the embassy staff, get the name of the person you have a complaint against, write an email, call the consulate general. They WILL tranfer you. I myself made a complain on the general way the (egyptian) staff treat visa applicants and how it's not consistent with the image the American embassy strives to present in foreign countries.

Sadly, I've made the same complaint in several US embassies in different countries, and it's always the local staff that seems to have a chip on its shoulder. Which, btw, they never show when an American citizen challenges their attitude within the walls of the embassy/their place of employment.

All I can say is -- the US citizens are spoiled rotten when it comes to "the customer is always right" policy."

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

yea I REALLY miss it. [Frown]
AshkiA
Member # 10944

Member Rated:
LISTEN the thing is maybe we are spoiled but this is supposed to be the ONE place that represents my country. They abide by MY countries government. So what makes it different that they can't run the business the same as in the states????? Excuse me for saying so but that's pretty shitty.
AshkiA
Member # 10944

Member Rated:
Our interview is next month!!! yay!!!! After tons of e-mails we finally got an answer of some kind. We called too but it seems that we recieve more accurate info by e-mail. Also learned that their customer service is open from 8am-8pm. Anyway it's a big relief to at least know that we had no mistakes in our application and we are set for the interview. Helps my home sickness a little. lol I miss Wal-Mart SuperCenter. [Frown]
Meretamun
Member # 10349

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Meretamun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So sorry to hear about all this, I will be very honest. But I was told by someone that works there that they always have to be suspicious and always question anyones intentions, especially if they are egyptian. Speaking of which, an egyptian staff member once told a friend of mine that they (as local staff) are told to treat people rudely, that is what is expected of them. Don't you notice how all egyptians in all embassies are always rude to other egyptians? I guess they put them in the front row to see how far would they be able to push people away.
Trust me, I'm not defending, but I'm just saying what I heard and was told.

Ashkia, good luck with your husbands, visa. My brother has been living here with his american wife and they told him that they have to have this outragious amount of money if they want to go back to the US for a visit even. They are ticked off, but what can you do? It's just anything to keep more people from going. Whether they are coming back or not, it doesn't matter.
So, good luck and just pray [Smile]

Posts: 2 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AshkiA
Member # 10944

Member Rated:
You know, that reminds me. I was told the other day that we might need money (half of my income) in a bank account before we can go back to the states. BUT I found out this is wrong for a marriage visa (CR1). With this visa you only need to meet the income requirements. Now if someone was applying for the student visa or working, that's a different story, the sponsor must prove that they can pay for the education and enough money to support them for one year. Also, to add on top of that, they must purchase health insurance for at least 6 months within the month of arrival into the states.
Sohyla
Member # 8287

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sohyla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For a visitor visa you need at least 60,000 LE. For a spouse visa you just need to meet the income requirements. If you can't meet the income requirements you have the option of adding a joint sponser.
Posts: 516 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sohyla
Member # 8287

Member Rated:
Anybody know how long it takes to get the visa after the second interview?
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

for a visitor's visa there's no set amount of money you 'need' in the bank. i know several people who got visas and were never asked about their finances, didn't even have a ticket purchase...simply, they didn't look like they had any reason not to return to egypt and would stay in the states.

that's what you really have to prove.

money can be moved from one account to another -it doesn't mean you have ties to egypt.

akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know someone who got turned down for a visa because he had too much money. When he showed them his bank account they felt it didn't match the job he had. No way could a taxi driver get that amount of money.

Actually it was ok he had sold and bought some land but he didn't tell them that. That is why it is so important to tell the truth, the whole truth.

It is not about how much money you have. It is about convincing them you have such a good life in Egypt you will come back. That is for a visitors visa.

For a marriage visa they have to be convinced the marriage is genuine and that you have enough money that he won't need social services. That doesn't have to be a lot.

--------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Egyptian Mafia
Member # 10974

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egyptian Mafia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The US Embassy doesnt want egyptian men...pay some american women 10,000 and marry him so he can get the passport...they piss off the newly weds to see if the marriage infact is real and not a koskosy marriage!
Posts: 183 | From: Toronto, Canada / Cairo, Egypt | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AshkiA
Member # 10944

Member Rated:
Sohyla, normally you are approved or not, at the second interview and recieve ur passport w/ visa a week later. That's if everything goes smoothly [Smile] ~ Thank God I don't have to have money in my account LOL. That would be a problem, i spent all my money here!!!! [Razz] Oh and does anyone know what's up with everyone assuming because I'm american that I'm rich???? For example, everyone is hitting my husband up for money or trying to sell him crap or asking where his BMW is that I will buy him. It's rediculious lmaooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Wow if it were true that all americans were rich.........
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
any one know what some of the questions they ask at a k1 visa interview? we have 7 days to prepare help???????????????????????
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

are you sure you're doing the k1 visa and not the k3?
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes we were approved on jan 26 for k1
so we are going with that for now

Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

K-1 is the fiance visa. I thought you were married.
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
we are but we got married after the k1 was approved so we are sticking with this visa for now i have talk to the embassy alot and what sabry needs when he goes and they havent said anything.. i even sent my paystub that they wanted. do you know any questions they will ask?
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

I've heard from a few ppl that they will ask...

when you guys met.

how you met.

how long you've known each other.

when was the last time you saw each other.

if you are a lot older than him they may give him a hard time about that and ask personal questions.

if you already have children they may ask why he would marry a woman with children already.

they may ask to see photos so have him bring an album with him.

they may ask him where you live and other personal questions like that.

Hope these help.

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
thank you so much i thought that is what they would ask we have gone over it so many times he is 37 and i am 48 .we have lots of pictures and are ready thankyou so much again
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

You're welcome.

Be prepared for this rude one that was asked of the fiance of a woman I know.

Don't you want children? Your fiancee will not be able to provide you with any due to her age.

Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Oh BTW...

There's a good website for Visa information and it has a nice forum with lovely, helpful ppl.

www.visajourney.com

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
that is an awsome site ty madameM.
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

You're very welcome. [Smile]
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
on the other hand about any children? yes i have 1 son and sabry loves him and he is so excited that he will be a grandpop soon. they have really excepted each other
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

I don't know why the embassy wants to be rude with the questions. Is it their business why a man would marry a woman with children already? No. But they figure it may be culturally uncommon in Egypt and that the man is simply "putting up" with this factor for a visa. I have two sons myself from a previous marriage. My husband and his family love them. They talk to them on the phone and ask about them all the time. We plan on having more children in the future, inshallah.

So you'll be a grandmama soon? Congrats! [Smile]

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes my sons gf will have her baby in nov. and sabry wants to be here when his new grandbaby comes. thanks i am 48 and gone to be a grannie? yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

My mom was your age when my first son was born. Hey it's cool to be a young grandma!
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks i am so excited
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com