EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » What is the role of the wife of an Egyptian man?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What is the role of the wife of an Egyptian man?
nelle
Member # 11016

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for nelle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I'd like to know is culturally speaking, are there tasks which the woman (wife) is expected to take care in the household?
I'm referring to chores such as laundry, child care, cooking, cleaning, taking out the trash, lawn maintenance, etc, and work outside the home. Are these tasks individualized per couple or this there a general chauvanistic train of thought by the Egyptian men. Just curious.
In America, it is however the couple decide to work things out. It never seems to be 50/50 though.

Posts: 46 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demiana
Member # 2710

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Demiana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Egypt is a large country, with a lot of differences in dividing work between the sexes I guess. In my Family In Law it looks a bit like with the situation over here in the fifties. Husbands can do everything but not to be shown to the outside world. And of course outside business is the first priority to men and kids to women. So, while Egyptian dh can do everything at home, cleaning, cooking, showering kids, taking them to school, whenever his working or whatever obligations get in the way I am it as if I don't have agenda's to keep!:-)
Men seem to have problems to be a colleague to their wife I guess.

Posts: 1419 | From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lawn maintence, wow you have a lot to learn about Egypt

An egyptian women would be expected to do all the childcare, cooking, cleaning, laundry etc and a man would be expected to keep her so she can do all these things. Some higher classes of women or more urban women will hold down a job as well but would still be expected to do all the traditional roles. So it actaully pays to be a kept woman than to try and hold down a job and do the house work.

And it is not chauvenistic to split roles like this. that is a very blinkered view, generally spoken by an arrogant foreigner who knows nothing about Egypt and thinks they have lawns

--------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demiana
Member # 2710

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Demiana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not sure Akshar, are these not stereotypes that are much more 'grey' when in real life?
I can see that the initiative on certain responsibilites lies with the different sexes but I can also see the other one jumping in on it when needed.

--------------------
Fools blame everyone else, starting philosophers blame themselves, wise people don't blame anyone (Epictetus)

Posts: 1419 | From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband's Egyptian and in his mid-40s (perhaps his attitudes aren't the same as an Egyptian's in his 20s?). Anyway, I do 98% of the housework, and I'm fine with that. We've never really discussed it. But you know what seems cool? He really appreciates it, unlike some of my past boyfriends...
Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Demiana:
I am not sure Akshar, are these not stereotypes that are much more 'grey' when in real life?
I can see that the initiative on certain responsibilites lies with the different sexes but I can also see the other one jumping in on it when needed.

Not in my Egyptian family. The men of my family are proud that they can support their wives and they don't need to work and can relax and look after the home. but my family is a very rural one coming from Luxor.

In cairo I know one young man whose wife worked until they married and then stopped and she immediately became pregnanat, this was a middle class family and she was prob in her mid twenties.

However I am aware of loads of working Egyptian women but having read many books on the subject it appears that they still come home to do the womens role in home and some indeed would be humilated if their husbands helped. I ready a very interesting case study about this. There was one women who complained her husband never helped her and was asked if she wanted him to be more like 'Ahmed'. This man was famous for helping his wife in the house, at this the group of women being interwiewed all bork out saying 'No way, thye wnated a real man' and other comments along these lines. They felt the jinns had taken his testicles. althoug it was sad it was also very funny.

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonomod_me
Member # 10522

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonomod_me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by akshar:

There are lawns in Egypt. But you have to have the wealth to maintain them, let alone have a yard.

But if you have the wealth to have a lawn, then you have a gardener.

Posts: 1765 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Serious serious wealth, most people live in flats and the only lawn they will see is in front of a hotel or government building. And yes you are right those with lawns would have garderners.

--------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Sonomod_me
Member # 10522

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonomod_me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Serious serious wealth, most people live in flats and the only lawn they will see is in front of a hotel or government building. And yes you are right those with lawns would have garderners.

Then this woman who knows next to nothing compared to you is marrying under better circumstances.

Sheesh even my in-laws have a lawn and a flower garden.

Posts: 1765 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sonomod_me:
quote:

Then this woman who knows next to nothing compared to you is marrying under better circumstances.

Ah great an argument about lawns so just to chip in we have wonderful lawns and flower gardens surrounding our flat, and no we are not wealthy but I am in seventh heaven when I wake up and hear the gardner mowing and clipping [Smile]
Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonomod_me
Member # 10522

quote:
Originally posted by Penny:
quote:
quote:

Ah great an argument about lawns so just to chip in we have wonderful lawns and flower gardens surrounding our flat, and no we are not wealthy but I am in seventh heaven when I wake up and hear the gardner mowing and clipping [Smile]
Yeah but thats a flat, you have to share these green places.

In Cairo, if I am lucky, there will be a green space, terrace of some sort outside my apartment building.

Driving by those new housing developments in Nasr City, Sixth of October, and all those places just north of Cairo; it isn't a haven ES usernames say that they are.

less than 10% (most often only 4%) of those new homes are houses or villas, and all of those very private residences are going to military elite families. So in order to have your own private green space you must be part of a very exclusive group of people.

I have seen these "terraces" its a bunch of rubber plant specimens and small emaceated (sp?) looking bushes. A whole 7'X 9' plot right outside the buildings stair case.

And then the road medians have small trees and if your are lucky grassy knolls.

then the parks/community entertainment centers have their own gardens.

Myself and the in-laws have gotten lost every time we go north of Cairo. I have seen too much of these new developments. What they advertise and what is actually there is a massive gap.

The image of babylon's hanging gardens is a rude and violent smack in the face for someone who is used to Minnesota's residental suburbs.

The residents need to take personal interest in planting their own green spaces, the developers understand that they can promise a lush green residential area, but are also well aware that just putting the 7X9' every half feddan is a slice of paradise for many leaving Cairo. To us westerners its a joke.

Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to add on the main topic hubby will do just about anything if he is around to do it but oh boy he needs serious praise for it!. The one that drives me mad though is when he says don't wash up I will do it later...he knows I can't stand going to bed leaving the dishes so he is onto a sure winner I will do it before he gets back.
I think most husbands I know help out but it is seen as just that, it is not considered their role, they are just being helpful. With regard to the Egyptian ladies that work and then come home and do the housework etc, think that is really much the same the world over.

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Driving by those new housing developments in Nasr City, Sixth of October, and all those places just north of Cairo; it isn't a haven ES usernames say that they are.

less than 10% (most often only 4%) of those new homes are houses or villas, and all of those very private residences are going to military elite families. So in order to have your own private green space you must be part of a very exclusive group of people.

I have seen these "terraces" its a bunch of rubber plant specimens and small emaceated (sp?) looking bushes. A whole 7'X 9' plot right outside the buildings stair case.

And then the road medians have small trees and if your are lucky grassy knolls.

then the parks/community entertainment centers have their own gardens.

Myself and the in-laws have gotten lost every time we go north of Cairo. I have seen too much of these new developments. What they advertise and what is actually there is a massive gap. [/QB][/QUOTE]
--------------------------------------------
Very much agree S but at least the children have somewhere to go out and play. I could have nightmares about trying to find our way out of Sixth October city and no its is nothing like the fancy development plans you see.

Sonomod_me
Member # 10522

quote:
Originally posted by Penny:
Very much agree S but at least the children have somewhere to go out and play. I could have nightmares about trying to find our way out of Sixth October city and no its is nothing like the fancy development plans you see.

I'd think about buying a scratch of land, after they build a road that goes directly through the delta to the Cairo/Alex desert highway.

If I wanted to live in this area I'd have to drive to Cairo and then another 40 miles to Shebin. I am not doing that.

But I have thought about it. I'd have to get a car, or wait until the metro line goes out that way. but I am not Going from Sixth of October to Cairo to Shebin. Forget that.

But the north Cairo suburbs would be really good for my sinus' and they act up like no tommorrow here, it'll be better in Cairo, but a suburb would be ideal. If I could manage the commute time and isolation.

nelle
Member # 11016

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for nelle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

And it is not chauvenistic to split roles like this. that is a very blinkered view, generally spoken by an arrogant foreigner who knows nothing about Egypt and thinks they have lawns

Thanks to Penny for staying focused on the topic and providing real information.

In response to these quotes:
1. The "lawn" was just an example among many. Thanks for being a nitpicker about it. I'll make sure I don't include any examples in the future that might not apply. EXCUSE ME!

2. Who are you calling arrogant? I was just asking a question to better understand the culture of Egypt. Isn't that the purpose of this forum????????? To ask questions and gain understand.

Why did people go off on a "lawn" tangent? If you want to discuss that, then post a new topic.

I'm withholding what I really want to express.

Posts: 46 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonomod_me
Member # 10522

quote:
Originally posted by nelle:
quote:

Thanks to Penny for staying focused on the topic and providing real information.

1. The "lawn" was just an example among many. Thanks for being a nitpicker about it. I'll make sure I don't include any examples in the future that might not apply. EXCUSE ME!

2. Who are you calling arrogant? I was just asking a question to better understand the culture of Egypt. Isn't that the purpose of this forum????????? To ask questions and gain understand.

Why did people go off on a "lawn" tangent? If you want to discuss that, then post a new topic.

Nelle, all Americans are arrogant according to her unless they are homewreckers, ahem, cowives like herself.

Don't take her seriously she's just resentful of American women who don't have to share.

Tibe
Member # 10253

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tibe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Nelle, all Americans are arrogant according to her unless they are homewreckers, ahem, cowives like herself.

Don't take her seriously she's just resentful of American women who don't have to share.

haha -
The modern egyptian man (atleast the one I know) doesn't mind helping out. He likes playing with my kids, he loves cooking, made great salats and pancakes fore the kids, he hates mess so he helps tiding up every day ect.... He is 33 and has a "normal" attitude towards family and work. Aren't most young men that from the turist/big cities????

Posts: 1215 | From: Nowhere | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nelle
Member # 11016

Rate Member
Tibe, I'm glad to hear about your man is helpful.
I know that no two people are the same. I was just trying to find out if there seems to be an inclination one way or the another about how men feel about doing house work. I think no one, man or woman, really likes it. I'm ok with the woman doing the majority of house work if she is being full supported by the husband financially. If both people are working outside the home, then I feel both people should share the housework. They can divide the chores between the two of them. That is the fairest way.

Tibe
Member # 10253

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tibe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thats how it works in nearly every family here in Denmark. My guess thats how it will also be with an egyptian man (young). Offcourse if one of the parts is unemployed they will do more work around the house. Anything else will be unfair.
Fore me its also important that a man helps out with the children - that will give them a kind of bond.

Posts: 1215 | From: Nowhere | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

lol don't worry Nelle, some are jealous...I think it's obvious you don't know about the culture if you are asking questions, which would in turn be logical to assume you don't know about yards, etc. But some people are quick to be bit*hy. [Wink]
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gypsyprincess1
Member # 11312

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gypsyprincess1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, surely it is difficult to find green space in Cairo...in Maadi, there is some..and also at the private clubs if your a member...but, we enjoy a garden three hours away in Marina...where yes, Gardeners do the work while my husband directs them...It seems unusual to me to have two..as here at home in Canada we do our own lawns...
Posts: 53 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com