EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Child cruelty

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Child cruelty
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was reading in a book about statistics of child death in 1985 from cruelty and apparently it was 4 a week. No not in Egypt but in the UK. Does anyone know where you can go on the net for comparative stats between UK child cruelty per head of population and Egypt. I swaer this was a post on this ages ago and I can find it anywhere.

This book stated that the rise in child cruelty was linked to the rise in single parent families.

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demiana
Member # 2710

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Demiana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You mean like this article on Wikepedia?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filial_cruelty#By_family_characteristics

--------------------
Fools blame everyone else, starting philosophers blame themselves, wise people don't blame anyone (Epictetus)

Posts: 1419 | From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was the sort of thing I was reading and then it occured to me that in a country like Egypt where being a single parent is very rare because even if you divorce or are widowed you go back to your family home. what where the comparative figures. poverty would have a big impact on education neglect but cruelty and murder I would expect to be massively lower. I would just like to find some stats on it

--------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mike rozier
Member # 10852

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mike rozier     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.dol.gov/ilab/media/reports/iclp/tda2004/egypt.htm

--------------------
The ground at Calvary's Cross is level

Posts: 1172 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonomod_me
Member # 10522

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonomod_me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by akshar:
That was the sort of thing I was reading and then it occured to me that in a country like Egypt where being a single parent is very rare because even if you divorce or are widowed you go back to your family home. what where the comparative figures. poverty would have a big impact on education neglect but cruelty and murder I would expect to be massively lower. I would just like to find some stats on it

Its something called CAMPAS. Central Agency for Public Mobilization and Statistics.

I run across it in almost every sociological, anthropological book on Egypt. Egypt is one of the few developing countries that actually collect data, except on a few choice areas such as FGM and other "female" categories.

But from what I have read single, whether thats widowed or divorced women, single moms are much more able to reduce the tension and violence in the homes.

I don't know where you got your idea that single mother homes in Egypt are more prone to abuse of children, but I don't think thats the case.

CAMPAS is your best source.

Here's the arabic language hyperlink:
www.capmas.gov.eg

but its in arabic so you'll need to use google language services.

I was planning to look this website up but kept on putting it into the back of my mind, thanks for bringing it up.

Posts: 1765 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
I didn't say single Egyptian are more prone to abuse but that single parent families all over the world are more prone to abuse. One you have the tensions of trying to bring up a child with no relief or deputy and two you have the possiblities of abuse by boyfriends/step fathers. As people in Egypt often live in family homes with several generations granny is always there to give mum a break and there is little likelyhood of mum bringing home a fella.

As I said in the other thread I suspect that traditional socities are healthier in terms of child cruelty and murder and wondered if there were any stats backing this up.

I am sure someone once posted some comparative stats in english, does anyone else remember this and can find them

--------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Sonomod_me
Member # 10522

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonomod_me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I didn't say single Egyptian are more prone to abuse but that single parent families all over the world are more prone to abuse. One you have the tensions of trying to bring up a child with no relief or deputy and two you have the possiblities of abuse by boyfriends/step fathers. As people in Egypt often live in family homes with several generations granny is always there to give mum a break and there is little likelyhood of mum bringing home a fella.

As I said in the other thread I suspect that traditional socities are healthier in terms of child cruelty and murder and wondered if there were any stats backing this up.

I am sure someone once posted some comparative stats in english, does anyone else remember this and can find them

Its traditional in Egypt society to smack kids around. Take my word on this.

You've got your rose colored glasses on again.

Posts: 1765 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen that in the streets, it's really sad. I wish people would wake up and see how that is NOT good for children, but I guess we live what we learn. I saw a woman carrying a BABY on her shoulder down the street one day and reached up hitting it HARD in the face over and over and over (don't know what the kid did, maybe pull moms hair or head covering or something natural). I stood there in shock with my mouth hanging open and everyone else just walked by like it was nothing. This baby couldn't have been more than a year old...
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
' Sharon Stone '
Member # 5169

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ' Sharon Stone '     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Research changes all the time. If the child lives with 2 parents it has more chances to be abused because child has to deal not only with 1 parent but with 2.
Posts: 989 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeepRest
Member # 11218

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeepRest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ' Sharon Stone ':
Research changes all the time. If the child lives with 2 parents it has more chances to be abused because child has to deal not only with 1 parent but with 2.

If this's the case then the child shouldn't live with any , because they both would be sick parents.
Posts: 33 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunburnt
Member # 4986

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunburnt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I was reading in a book about statistics of child death in 1985 from cruelty and apparently it was 4 a week. No not in Egypt but in the UK. Does anyone know where you can go on the net for comparative stats between UK child cruelty per head of population and Egypt. I swaer this was a post on this ages ago and I can find it anywhere.

This book stated that the rise in child cruelty was linked to the rise in single parent families.

Posts: 167 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunburnt
Member # 4986

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunburnt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry don't know what happened to my last reply.

I have lived and worked in Cairo for the last four years and love it, however my work shows me that it is a very cruel place for a child to be as in my years here I have witnessed child abuse in many forms, slapping, punching, kicking, child labour, selling of children, and female circumscion, and all from 2 parent families

Posts: 167 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by sunburnt:
Sorry don't know what happened to my last reply.

I have lived and worked in Cairo for the last four years and love it, however my work shows me that it is a very cruel place for a child to be as in my years here I have witnessed child abuse in many forms, slapping, punching, kicking, child labour, selling of children, and female circumscion, and all from 2 parent families

I don't want storues I want statistics. Per capita child death from cruelty. I have been asking around and from what I can gather cases reported in the newspaper are so rare as to cause significant headlines and occur perhaps every qtr. But I really want stats

What we are talking about is the gradual disintegration of a society, if the UK had 4 per week 20 years ago then this no where compares to Egypt.

PS go round any supermarket in the UK and you will see lots of people slapping, hitting etc

Tibe
Member # 10253

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tibe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't it hard to compare statics in a country where not all people that are born are registreted??? I saw a documentary on BBC about streetkids in Egypt, - most of them was not even in any kind of system. So how can you compare to any country then?
Posts: 1215 | From: Nowhere | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demiana
Member # 2710

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Demiana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is rare becaus it is more accepted in Egypt and some things are just denied or kept hidden within the family. Happened in the west. Only when we had more democracy, wealth and more time to look for quality of life we could start to look at the quality of life of our children and ourselves and were able to express abuse and get help. The quality of life of single parents and their kids depend on the quality and quantity of their networks and their wealth and resources like a good upbringing.
And a culture to condone these bad habits.
How long ago in the UK did they slapp kids in the classroom?
How long before we could acknowledge priests sexually abusing kids?

--------------------
Fools blame everyone else, starting philosophers blame themselves, wise people don't blame anyone (Epictetus)

Posts: 1419 | From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charm el Feikh?
Member # 10243

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charm el Feikh?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
children are designed to be picked on... thats why god made them small. growth is nothing but evolution kicking in as a defense mechanism.

if we stop beating children they wont grow... is that what you want?

Posts: 5642 | From: hellonearth.myfastforum.org Forum Index | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pharaoh15
Member # 11334

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pharaoh15     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is totally a stigma on the society, how can everyone let child abusetake place? There are prevention units, but what for? sitting around and earning money while so many children are suffering?? Child Abuse can be in any forms: verbal, physical, mental, emotional blackmails etc. Nowadays, they even make child beg!!
Posts: 5 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mike rozier
Member # 10852

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mike rozier     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was in the middle of cairo in a small bus and this kid came up begging me for money...he pouted his lips ,but when I seen the condition of his teeth I threw him a dollar...which he told his freinds then they ran over, but then the traffic started moveing..

lots of begging street kids over there.

but I suppose you will find that in alot of countries around the world, from north korea to brazil..Im supprised their parents have no shame...

--------------------
The ground at Calvary's Cross is level

Posts: 1172 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunburnt
Member # 4986

Member Rated:
I live next door to a "high up" policeman, and while he acknowledges that yes there are children there is also organized begging and their families keep them looking malnourished etc to make them more likely to stir the tourists conscience I never give to beggers but I always buy tissues etc and willingly pay over the odds if someone can earn as good money begging why should they work. Buy the tissues, etc they are only a few pounds and you help them buy more stock and they also learn the work culture.
Screw you
Member # 11942

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Screw you         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a case once(in Egypt) where a mother was a wreck because her husband had divorced her and left the son in her care, he would come dishellevled and dirty,no sandwiches or books.
On one particular occassion he came to school with a bright red hand mark on his face, this poor child was traumatised and the mother was constantly on the telephone telling me how her ex had left her in a terrible state. She couldn't cope or look after herself or her child.
Her family stepped in and she moved back with them.

-------------------------------------------------

A few years after this a male teacher was arrested (don't know his fate) for interferring with a 4 year old girl at school(the same one).

--------------------
Learn from the past.
Live in the present.
Hope for the future.

Posts: 1474 | From: in my own paradise | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com