EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Can a Divorcee woman marry an Egyptian Copt man?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can a Divorcee woman marry an Egyptian Copt man?
polly_k
Member # 11285

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for polly_k   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi. I am an Indian woman who is in love with an Egyptian Copt residing in Egypt. I met him 6 months ago on the net and we have remained in touch over net/phone.I am currently married, which fact i did not reveal to him (cos i did not know this relationship would go this far). My boyfried wanted desparately to marry me. I have recently told him about my being married. He says he still loves me forever but that he cannot marry me because it would be a second marriage for me. He wants me to live with him as his 'wife of the heart'.

Please advise, someone...

Posts: 2 | From: Dubai | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demiana
Member # 2710

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Demiana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You cannot marry a copt when you have been married in church before. But that will go with the official churches and ministers. Not in say a house-service with relatives and a not-licensed preacher. Better not talk of em at all.
If you just married in cityhall it does not count.
But then you can marry you're copt in cityhall and not in church either. Or indeed not marry at all.

Posts: 1419 | From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marcella
Member # 10978

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marcella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Polly_k you cannot marry while you are STILL MARRIED!But I don't see any reason why you couldn't marry a copt when you get divorce.
Posts: 979 | From: Another world | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LaZeeZ
Member # 10655

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LaZeeZ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by polly_k:
'wife of the heart'.

[/QB]

[Big Grin]
LOVE the Egyptian inventions

Posts: 1539 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
polly_k
Member # 11285

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for polly_k   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Demiana & Marcella,

Thanks for your inputs...

My current marriage was in India, by Hindu law and the civil law in India. It will be divorced there too, if i get a divorce.

Does the Coptic Church in Egypt accept a Divorce from another country/religion ? In Egypt is important... cos thats where he lives.

also, i do intend to get a divorce if i intend to marry this guy.... just checking the facts and posibilibities first.

Any updates..?

--------------------
Cheers, Polly

Posts: 2 | From: Dubai | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ispy
Member # 5871

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ispy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.marry-an-ugly-millionaire-online-dating-agency.com/men-seeking-women.htm

http://www.petitiononline.com/liz11985/petition.html

http://marriage.about.com/od/cybermarriage/

Posts: 428 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ispy
Member # 5871

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ispy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.funweddings.com/
Posts: 428 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marcella
Member # 10978

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marcella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by polly_k:
Hi Demiana & Marcella,

Thanks for your inputs...

My current marriage was in India, by Hindu law and the civil law in India. It will be divorced there too, if i get a divorce.

Does the Coptic Church in Egypt accept a Divorce from another country/religion ? In Egypt is important... cos thats where he lives.

also, i do intend to get a divorce if i intend to marry this guy.... just checking the facts and posibilibities first.

Any updates..?

I only know that muslim men can't marry for some unknown reason people like you(Hindu and people with some other religion)but they can marry Jewess and Christian.
About Egytpian Copt...I think there is nothing like that,did you ask your boyfriend?I think he will know.

Posts: 979 | From: Another world | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demiana
Member # 2710

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Demiana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you want permission to marry in church you should ask permission from a special officer in international affairs the coptic orthodox church installed some years ago to prevent Egyptian Orthodox divorcees to marry again in a separate country/place from their first marriage.

I don't know if the coptic orthodox church does see a Hindu-marriage as a marriage in church/heaven. There are several options. You could change religion and get baptized. You will find out. It is a way to get all you're sins absolved. But since this is a matter of the church you can only obtain an official answer.

You can try to compare you're situation to someone else, but the church may rule differently in you're case since there is not a lot of jurisdiction on this. If you have a friendly priest and he is convinced that the two of you are sincere they may even bend the rules somewhat so you fit the profile.

I know of a woman in my church that was married before with children, but she got baptized and married within the church. Every situation is different.

I would say that it is not at all impossible upfront.

Demiana

Posts: 1419 | From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
' Sharon Stone '
Member # 5169

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ' Sharon Stone '     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Polly, you want to divorce the husband for a man you never met?

.. and how can you live with him as his 'wife of the heart' - what is he talking about?

Posts: 989 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charm el Feikh?
Member # 10243

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charm el Feikh?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ' Sharon Stone ':
Polly, you want to divorce the husband for a man you never met?

.. and how can you live with him as his 'wife of the heart' - what is he talking about?

er... just read this post... [Eek!] i cant be bothered to read the whole thread...

if thats true, your a fool...

and i guess wife of the heart means your divorcing your husband to be a co-wife.

Posts: 5642 | From: hellonearth.myfastforum.org Forum Index | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Copts don't have co-wives..or do they? I don't think Christians can have more than one. Unless a mistress can be called a co-wife. At any rate...why would you leave your hubby for a man you never met in person? [Confused]
Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charm el Feikh?
Member # 10243

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charm el Feikh?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ispy:
http://www.marry-an-ugly-millionaire-online-dating-agency.com/men-seeking-women.htm

cheers!
Posts: 5642 | From: hellonearth.myfastforum.org Forum Index | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ihthus
Member # 8318

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ihthus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first thing if ur not christian then you won't be able to get married with this guy in the church. And for copts if you don't have marriage in the church it's almost the same as ur not married at all. The second thing even if you are christian most likely you will have to be baptised again in coptic church (i'm protestant and they told me here that in order to be married in coptic church i have to be baptised in it). Talking about divorce with another man - it could be a huge problem here. Because copts indeed are allowed to marry only once but actually when u bring documents for marriage u need to bring only the paper that you are not married.
Posts: 24 | From: Egypt, Hurghada | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jebran
Member # 10433

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jebran     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You want to divorce your husband to be a misstress [Confused] , the Coptic church considers the second marriage' for man or woman,as adultry. You will be like ra'aset ala elsellim [Razz]
Posts: 90 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marcella
Member # 10978

quote:
Originally posted by ihthus:
The first thing if ur not christian then you won't be able to get married with this guy in the church. And for copts if you don't have marriage in the church it's almost the same as ur not married at all. The second thing even if you are christian most likely you will have to be baptised again in coptic church (i'm protestant and they told me here that in order to be married in coptic church i have to be baptised in it). Talking about divorce with another man - it could be a huge problem here. Because copts indeed are allowed to marry only once but actually when u bring documents for marriage u need to bring only the paper that you are not married.

This is not true,christian doesn't need to marry in the church.Just if he wants to.Also it is not like before,christian can marry how many times he wants to.
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aren't you jumping the gun a bit???
For goodness sake girl, at least meet him face to face and see if you even LIKE him before you talk about big decisions like marriage!!!
Use your brains, not your hormones!!!

Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ihthus
Member # 8318

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ihthus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marcella:
This is not true,christian doesn't need to marry in the church.Just if he wants to.Also it is not like before,christian can marry how many times he wants to.

You probably never lived among copts in Egypt!!! I do live among them for a 3 years already. Everyone who is serious about his marriage will get married in the church and the paper for the marriage in Egypt are given only once!!! If you are married in Egypt than it's almost impossible to get divorced. If christian is making orfi and later on make it legal through the court it means that he wants to be able to get divorce in case something goes wrong and it means he is not very serious about his marriage.
Posts: 24 | From: Egypt, Hurghada | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marcella
Member # 10978

Copt means christian.So all Copts are christians and christians can marry in the church but it is not necessary.They do it if they want to but most of times they're going also make it to the court.Bible says that you are marrying forever but they're divorcing and getting married again.
Jebran
Member # 10433

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jebran     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Copt means christian.So all Copts are christians and christians can marry in the church but it is not necessary.They do it if they want to but most of times they're going also make it to the court.Bible says that you are marrying forever but they're divorcing and getting married again.

Marcella, you make me mad [Mad] .Have you ever been to Egypt??
Posts: 90 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marcella
Member # 10978

OK something else is if you HAVE to live under islamic law where is everything totally different.But anyway it is only your choice.
ihthus
Member # 8318

Rate Member
quote:

First of all when I say copt I mean not only religion but also tradition. Coptic christians have their own traditions and for copts the marriage without ceremony in the church is the same as for muslims orfi. So if copt is serious about marriage he will marry in the church!!! Otherwise he will sign orfi and go with it to the special place where they will approve it and you'll have legal papers. The second thing that christians in Egypt don't devorce unless they travel outside Egypt. If u have real marriage in the church in Egypt it's almost impossible to get divorced.

All these tradtions are not because of islamic law!!! [Mad] It's because copts in some things are following christians laws better!!!

Marcella
Member # 10978

As I said it is about where you live and what you can.Egypt is unfortunately the wrong place where you cannot have absolutely freedom and your own choice.And not only Egypt.But anywhere are islamic laws.
Geneva
Member # 7795

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Marcella you seem to have such contempt for both Islam and Muslims.. By chance did you marry a Muslim and what do you really think your future holds with him and all your negativity? Sure your husband may be young and not really a practicing Muslim now so you bash Islam and Muslims,but what happens when he gets older and likely becomes more adhering,what will you do? From my understanding most Muslim men get more religious as they get older. I think you and your marriage will be in trouble. You silly, non-English speaking, Islamophobic bitch.
Posts: 112 | From: egypt | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horemheb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
everyone bashes Muslims these days Geneva with good reason.

--------------------
God Bless President Bush

Posts: 5822 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marcella
Member # 10978

quote:
Originally posted by Geneva:
Marcella you seem to have such contempt for both Islam and Muslims.. By chance did you marry a Muslim and what do you really think your future holds with him and all your negativity? Sure your husband may be young and not really a practicing Muslim now so you bash Islam and Muslims,but what happens when he gets older and likely becomes more adhering,what will you do? From my understanding most Muslim men get more religious as they get older. I think you and your marriage will be in trouble. You silly, non-English speaking, Islamophobic bitch.

You make me laugh!!!He can do it doesn't mean I will change my mind.
You know **** about us.Keep it for yourself you smart ass and live you islamic life if you like!!!OMG!!!
Oh my english it is really interesting that you can understand someone who doesn't speak
english! [Eek!]
Are you a witch or something like that? [Roll Eyes] Probably a witch-bitch.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com