EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » What's the protocol???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What's the protocol???
soozi
Member # 11108

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for soozi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all, I'm sorry if I'm covering old ground here, but a little advice would be appreciated.

Next week, I fly out to Luxor to spend time with the BF and to get to know his family. I have never met them before, and I am wondering how you actually greet them for the first time? I am fully aware of the no physical contact with the son in front of the family, but when it comes to the mother and father do you shake hands or what? Do you wait for them to offer their hand before you offer yours? What about the cheek kissing thing? Are there any do's and don'ts to be aware of?

Any help would be appreciated! Cheers!

Posts: 836 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ihthus
Member # 8318

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ihthus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first time I met family of my bf I was shaking hands and defenetly kissing cheecks. But I really don't know if there is any do's and don'ts. I was acting the same way as with other egyptian friends he has. I think it depends on his family. For an example he calls his mom with "khadretek" so i talk to her the same way
Posts: 24 | From: Egypt, Hurghada | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mike rozier
Member # 10852

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mike rozier     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
take off your shoe and hit each family member upside the head with your shoe...

this way they understand your not playing...then start laying the ground rules right off the bat...

if you let them start makeing the rules you can kiss your liberty goodbye..

--------------------
The ground at Calvary's Cross is level

Posts: 1172 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My visit to my BFs parents was very informal, but we hadn't been 'seeing' each other for long, and he'd only told them he was bringing me for a visit the day before. (We were in Luxor, they are in Qena).
When I arrived, mother and I exchanged 'salam a laikums' but didn't touch in any way. (She only comes up to my shoulder so don't know if size had anything to do with that actually - me being 'man sized'!). Father was sleeping as he had just returned from working in Saudi. After chai etc, H & I were left alone in the front room. After a while, H was snoozing so I went to the upstairs flat with H's brother and wife. Brother asked me outright if I loved H - I said it was 'too soon'.
When we left, mother and father came and stood in the doorway to wave us off, again no touching.
I definately have the impression that they are a very sweet, close and informal family and its apparent H loves them very much.

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do not touch any men. Respond to the women as they offer, if they kiss then kiss if they shake hands then shake hands. Take a gift, Twinkies pastries are suitable. Ask you fellas advice about how you should behave, afterall it is his family

--------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ihthus
Member # 8318

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ihthus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About not touching any men it depends on family [Smile] It's not only that i shake hands with friends, brothers of my bf but also giving them a hug and kiss when we meet. Sometimes my bf is whispering me "give him a kiss". But surely it doesn't apply to all his friends only to close ones.
Posts: 24 | From: Egypt, Hurghada | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
margarita
Member # 9940

Icon 1 posted      Profile for margarita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mike rozier:
take off your shoe and hit each family member upside the head with your shoe...

this way they understand your not playing...then start laying the ground rules right off the bat...

if you let them start makeing the rules you can kiss your liberty goodbye..

[Big Grin]
Posts: 116 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soozi
Member # 11108

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for soozi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks all, you've put my mind at ease!!!!! [Cool]

And Mike, you were as helpful as to be expected!! [Eek!]

Posts: 836 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AshkiA
Member # 10944

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AshkiA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I personally was greeted with kisses and hugs [Smile] They had been expecting me for months and knew that we were in love.
Posts: 177 | From: Alexandria,Egypt / Missouri,USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com