EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » If you were a judge in a courtroom, would you try to be firm, but fair?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: If you were a judge in a courtroom, would you try to be firm, but fair?
concernedforwomen
Member # 10559

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for concernedforwomen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If a there was a case where a guy was drunk and he killed someone while driving drunk, but he was not going to get drunk and drive again, and you knew this for a fact, would you still put him in jail for life or give him a second chance? The purpose of this is to help you think.
Posts: 935 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
islamway
Member # 10368

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for islamway   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
actually I will be firm and I will apply the islamic punishment of wine drinking and a big fine to the family of the dead one.
Posts: 1007 | From: http://www.sultan.org | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
concernedforwomen
Member # 10559

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for concernedforwomen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why would you apply a fine to the family of the dead one? Why not apply a fine to the drunk driver, Islamsweden.org? You can answer how you want, but I am curious why you would do that.
Posts: 935 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imagine
Member # 11591

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for imagine   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would put him to jail for an appropriate time, take away his drivers licence (without chance to get it back) and make him pay a big fine for the family left behind. I would not put him in jail for life nore go easy of him.
Taking another persons life due to a persons own stupidity mut be punished so that the person understand what he/she have done.

Posts: 712 | From: Hurghada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imagine
Member # 11591

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for imagine   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i think he mean that the drunk driver should pay a big fine to the family concernedforwomen!!!!
Posts: 712 | From: Hurghada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
concernedforwomen
Member # 10559

Rate Member
Okay, I misunderstood. Sorry, imagine.
imagine
Member # 11591

Rate Member
haha its quite allright ;-) no need to say sorry :-p
concernedforwomen
Member # 10559

Rate Member
If I was the judge, he would go to jail, also have a fine, then be given a second chance, and if he did again, a bigger fine and more jail time, then a third time, jail for life. Rapists would be killed on the spot and get no second chance.
sara_uk
Member # 11454

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sara_uk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One question?? How would you know for sure, he will not do it again?? Can you read his heart?? he might be shocked and said he will never do it again. In fact even if he does not do it again, what about the life that he took? Law has been put for everyone, if you modify and make exceptions then Law can’t control people.
Posts: 816 | From: london | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imagine
Member # 11591

Rate Member
first of all i dont believe in capital punishment so i can not follow u in the "killing the rapist"
Second i have to ask: why would u send a rapist to death emidiatly but give the drunken driver who killed a man 3 chances???

The drunken driver should not be allowed to drive again.. at least not before he had taken alcohol addiction classes (and did jail time)..

A rapist in my eyes is one of the lowest lifeforms there excist (along with murders and pedophiles) and should go to jail for a very long time. but death penalty?? No...

To wrongs dont make a right

concernedforwomen
Member # 10559

Rate Member
Because, Imagine, the drunk driver would have done this by accident when the rapist plotted his crime. A drunk driver does not intentionally kill someone, although he should have not be stupid and driven drunk.
soozi
Member # 11108

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for soozi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I beg to differ, although maybe murder was not the intention, they took it upon themselves to go weilding a lethel weapon around, the moment they got behind the wheel drunk! This deserves harsh punishment in my book.
Posts: 836 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imagine
Member # 11591

Rate Member
Excatly biker babe.. even though The drunken driver didnt sit down and plot his kill, he knew that when he got in the car drunk he wouldnt have 100 % control of the car nore be 100% concentrated. He would be very aware that this could have consequences... But he chose to ignore this, to satisfy his own needs of getting somewhere.

For me this is just as bad..

Let me ask u this concernedforwomen.. If a man raped your sister or mother you would send him to his death right?? if a man killed your sister or mother by drunking in drunk condition would u still give him 3 chances to kill someone else??

I am not saying he should be sent to his death (dont believe in death penalty), but shouldnt he sit in jail for a long time and loose his license to drive??

concernedforwomen
Member # 10559

Rate Member
Yes,imagine, my mother or sister, I would still send him to his death. I would definitely make the drunk driver lose his license and sit in jail for a long time. Imagine, I see your point. If a drunk driver killed my mother or sister, maybe I would give him jail time for awhile.
imagine
Member # 11591

Rate Member
excatly.. u have to put yourself in the "what if it happend to someone close to me" position, and think about if your thoughts may change.. often it will..

We tend to see things from a perspective where we dont have to involve ourselves or those close to us... putting ourselves in "other peoples shoes" are always a learning experience.

Charm el Feikh?
Member # 10243

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charm el Feikh?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by concernedforwomen:
If I was the judge, he would go to jail, also have a fine, then be given a second chance, and if he did again, a bigger fine and more jail time, then a third time, jail for life. Rapists would be killed on the spot and get no second chance.

WTF?! raping someone is worthy of the death sentence, but killing 3 people just puts you in prison for ever.

youre fucked up in the head.

Posts: 5642 | From: hellonearth.myfastforum.org Forum Index | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charm el Feikh?
Member # 10243

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charm el Feikh?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what if the rapist was drunk? would that be OK?

and please.. 1 large vodka would put you over the limit and make you a drunk driver. what if the person run down and killed was pissed out of his mind and just walked right out in front of him from behind something?

there are always things that need to be taken into account.. thats why we have court rooms and why people like you are not judges.

Posts: 5642 | From: hellonearth.myfastforum.org Forum Index | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
concernedforwomen
Member # 10559

Rate Member
Okay, this was not to stir you up, charm.
imagine
Member # 11591

Rate Member
ilmao take a chill pill.. this is a forum where we discuss opiniouns etc. not pretending to be a judge.

everytime u add something new to the topic being discussed ofcourse the opninioun will change.. the statements above are only based on 2 facts: the driver was drunk and a man was killed... if the man ho was killed himself was drunk and walked careless out infront of the car, the case gets more complicated

concernedforwomen
Member # 10559

Rate Member
Imagine, the courts have to decide at what point they are willing to meet out harsh punishment. Judges have really hard decisions to make, just remember that.
concernedforwomen
Member # 10559

Rate Member
My thinking is that sometimes courts are not harsh enough. I used to think that the three strikes law was ridiculous. That drunk drivers should have pushishment even if they did not kill someone, but not as harsh. Maybe the fair thing to do is punish the drunk driver with taking his licinses away and to do community service if he did not kill someone and if he did to put him in jail for a long time.
imagine
Member # 11591

Rate Member
why do you say that?? did i say something to make u think i dont think the judges have a hard job??
I am just expressing my opinion on what punishment would be appropriate from the facts you gave me.

concernedforwomen
Member # 10559

Rate Member
No, you did not say something make me think that judges do not have a hard job. That was more for charm's benefit than anything.
imagine
Member # 11591

Rate Member
ok.. u just wrote imagine

Charm: The courts in denmark are not nearly harsh enough.. when people are sent to the socalled "open" prisons, it looks like they are going on holiday.. no wonder the small time criminals dosent learn anything..

' Sharon Stone '
Member # 5169

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ' Sharon Stone '     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First I would ban alcohol. [Big Grin] If I were Judge and I had this case - there are many questions I would need to know before making sentencing.

How it happened?
Was he drinking before?
Is he an alcoholic?
Any previous offenses with DUI or anything whatsoever? Any felonies? Domestic violance?
What does he do for living, and what kind of life style he has? Etc...

I would not:
- believe he will never do it just because he says so.
- let him go free without going to rehabilation for drinking and counseling.
- getting him off the hook easily but instead assure that he has no choice but to take responsibility fully, learn, change.
- sentence him for life, I don't believe in death penalty.

I would:
- ask him to aplogize to family of victim in public, and ask for fogiveness, help them heal and regret everything genuinly, face him with them and make him see, and understand pain and suffering he caused.
- ask victim family how they would like him to be punished and how exactly they want him to work in community of their choice for free.
- victim family is important too. Report to family often about everything they want to know.
- take his drivers privilages
- sentence him to many years in prison depending how severe the case is.

Smoking is banned in many cities - so why would alcohol would not be banned if it kills, beats ( domestic violance ), it rapes, it sexually abuses, it is causing problems and creating pain and suffering to many people including the person who drinks, family, children, and society as whole.

I am sure nobody would want their child to be killed by some drunk man who could not ask friends to take him home, or take a cab to prevent any accidents. Losing the loved one like this is sad, very sad and unfair.

Posts: 989 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mike rozier
Member # 10852

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mike rozier     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would think the drunk would get manslaughter...

because it's not premeditated...

--------------------
The ground at Calvary's Cross is level

Posts: 1172 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mike rozier:
I would think the drunk would get manslaughter...

because it's not premeditated...

[Eek!] You're right!

In the U.S., crimes such as murder require something called *specific intent,* or the mens rea to commit the crime. Take away the specific intent, and it gets reduced to manslaughter. Many jurisdictions specify that intoxication, voluntary or not, negates the mens rea or specific intent necessary for a crime to rise to the level of murder.

Freaky.

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com