EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Are Egyptians ever on time? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Are Egyptians ever on time?
doodlebug
Member # 11649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doodlebug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm just sayin.

seems like 5 minutes = more like 30 minutes to an hour.....

Posts: 1808 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
garfield
Member # 10258

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for garfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Always thought it was because of the traffic in Cairo....wrong...same thing in Hurghada...hahahahah
Posts: 91 | From: Egypt/Wisconsin | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Former ES Member and Moving Away
Member # 10626

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Former ES Member and Moving Away     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You say an hour and they take it as 3. I have a friend who is Egyptian who is like that. He might as well have been born a tortoise... [Smile]
Posts: 820 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doodlebug
Member # 11649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doodlebug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok so that makes me feel a wee bit better. I'm always always 5 minutes early to everything so it's hard adjusting to someone who takes it easy. lol
Posts: 1808 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Screw you
Member # 11942

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Screw you         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
12 noon usually means 5/6 pm

--------------------
Learn from the past.
Live in the present.
Hope for the future.

Posts: 1474 | From: in my own paradise | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*The Dark Angel* aka CAT
Member # 11953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *The Dark Angel* aka CAT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
we are not good with time

I used to be punctual then I learned not to be because of how people are caresless but when I do that to a punctual person who gets annoyed i feel embarrasssed

--------------------
Femme Fatale

Posts: 3128 | From: Not Your Heaven | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Former ES Member and Moving Away
Member # 10626

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Former ES Member and Moving Away     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chinderella angel TORMENTOR:
we are not good with time

I used to be punctual then I learned not to be because of how people are caresless but when I do that to a punctual person who gets annoyed i feel embarrasssed

haha! I am so punctual in my own life and it drives my friend insane. He doesn't seem to understand that a few mins late is a given courtesy...not 2 hours. [Big Grin]
Posts: 820 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ky_sunshine
Member # 11226

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ky_sunshine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Husband is the same way he saya an hour and it turns into HOURS!!

--------------------
Often Times the Greatest statements are made in silence...listen with your Heart.

Posts: 334 | From: kentucky | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mysticheart
Member # 6838

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mysticheart   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no they are never on time, at least not most men hahaha 30 min means 4 to 5 hours...

--------------------
http://image.lafemmebonita.com/c/av879029.jpg

Posts: 2410 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I *love* how laid back it is in Egypt. But I guess I'm always a bit late to stuff, myself. [Wink]

The only thing that would bug me about such lateness is putting a huge meal together for people to show up at a certain time....only to have to hold it for an hour or two. *That* I would find frustrating...

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Time is relative, one of the attractions for many foreigners about Egypt is how stress free it is. A truly relaxing place where life is enjoyed. And you want to introduce punctuality.

When someone says they will meet you at 11 am what that means is that it will not be before 11 but it does not tell you how much after 11 it will be. Or even if it will be the same day lol If you want to get more information ask is that Egyptian time or English time.

When I book drivers and motor boats they knwo it means English time and are nearly always early never mind on time. But if it is a normal day to day meeting or in the evening, relax you are in Egypt

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunburnt
Member # 4986

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunburnt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stress free!!!!!!!!!! maybe when your on holiday it's stress free, but living here is stressful. I am having new kitchens and bathrooms installed, everything was ripped out in May and I still do not have anything newinstalled, in fact they are still trying to solve the problem of water lying on the floor instead of running away to the drain,ohh and they cut the electric to the rest of the house and it took 4 weeks for them to sort that out, cut the phone line also, punched a small boy who works for them until I told the boss that if anyone raises their hand to a child in this house I would put them out and they would not be able to enter again. I have to oversee major work everyear and believe me working or even watching Egyptians is not stress free.
Posts: 167 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I am not on holidya I have been living here 3 1/2 years. Gosh what a load of problems you have had, is that in Cairo. I have to say here in Luxor we get all our work done on time. We have built 3 blocks of flats so far and my Egyptian husband has project managed it. He says if you stay on top of them it is no problem. Our workers always turn up and do a good job. I have called out people in the middle of the night to fix electric and telephones and they have been super.

--------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mark2006
Member # 11594

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mark2006     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it is a way of living , and nature of people
Posts: 248 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by doodlebut:
I'm just sayin.

You should be happy if they come at all.... [Wink]
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mark2006
Member # 11594

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mark2006     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe
Posts: 248 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my husband tells me i will br online in 10 mins and...........he got there 2 hours late. he just said i told you i would come. but i know him if he says 10 i dont even turn the comp on for a hour. hahahahahahaha [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ky_sunshine
Member # 11226

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ky_sunshine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It drives me CRAZZZY I told my Dh i was sending him a watch LOL.

--------------------
Often Times the Greatest statements are made in silence...listen with your Heart.

Posts: 334 | From: kentucky | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i gave him a watch but he has it on but doesnt use it only when i ask him what time it is over there [Big Grin]
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soozi
Member # 11108

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for soozi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmmm, I know that feeling very well!!!

We were meant to meet at 8am one morning as we had a train to catch (knowing full well the train would be late, but we couldn't afford to miss it), when it got to 8.30 I was just about to give it up as a bad job. Just then he came flying round the corner having commandeered a bus because he couldn't get a taxi and he'd only just got up! It was a really funny sight! Felt a bit Indiana Jones-ie!!!!

Posts: 836 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Akshar is right there are different time systems in Egypt. Best not to get stressed about it and go with the flow really. 5 minutes Egyptian can mean 30 minutes to 2 hours English time so its best to state what time system you expect with each interaction. You will usually get a laugh and 'InshaAllah' which means YOU are working on English time but THEY are working on Egyptian time and inshaAllah you will see them 'sometime' [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tibe
Member # 10253

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tibe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My egyptian husband is always on time. He rather be 5 minutes to early than 5 minutes late so I guess he is "unormal" [Big Grin] He can stress me more than anything when we go out for dinner and the taxi is waiting and I just need 2 more min to be ready......
Posts: 1215 | From: Nowhere | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
uklady
Member # 11161

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for uklady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about one week late? My man has gone missing. Its driving me crazy! I am worried something has happened to him. His phones are switched off.
Posts: 142 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soozi
Member # 11108

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for soozi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had that too! It happens all the time.

I used to worry about him, now I'm used to it. I just leave it til he's ready to get back in touch, and then maybe I'll go missing for a while too!!!

Don't worry, the chances are he's either busy working all the hours God sends, or he's got no money to get in touch. [Wink]

Posts: 836 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
uklady
Member # 11161

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for uklady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well in theory he should be on two week vacation in egypt after working in Kuwait for 3 months. He has plenty of money in his pocket so if he is ok he has no excuse!
Posts: 142 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
uklady
Member # 11161

Rate Member
I am worried sick but part of me dosent want to be to harsh. There might be a good reason but.....
soozi
Member # 11108

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by uklady:
Well in theory he should be on two week vacation in egypt after working in Kuwait for 3 months. He has plenty of money in his pocket so if he is ok he has no excuse!

Ooh, well that does sound strange then. [Frown]
soozi
Member # 11108

Member Rated:
I've just re read that, and realised that it could come across as sarcastic. Didn't mean it that way, sorry!
kaye
Member # 11525

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kaye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Confused] Why are they always late?? Are they just arrogant, are they doing their hair and putting on make up?? lol I hate being late it's very rude.But that's my opinion [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 108 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaye
Member # 11525

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kaye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
uklady
quote:
I am worried sick but part of me dosent want to be to harsh. There might be a good reason but.....
I have learned in my life never to assume ...just give it some time and then panic [Smile]
God Bless you.

Posts: 108 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
uklady
Member # 11161

Rate Member
Its making me wonder whether he has another woman over in egypt. But when I worked with him I knew he wasnt married. Or has somebody just been lined up for him and he has other intentions about me. Who knows.... But its all very worrying.
uklady
Member # 11161

Rate Member
He also recently told me though his family come first! Is this normal? I thought a possible future wife or wife would be considered equal to them. I know he is very close to his family and has 8 brothers and sisters so alot of people to see but.....!
kaye
Member # 11525

Member Rated:
uklady

quote:
Its making me wonder whether he has another woman over in egypt. But when I worked with him I knew he wasnt married. Or has somebody just been lined up for him and he has other intentions about me. Who knows.... But its all very worrying.
I understand uk ...but really don't let your mind play tricks on you...the base to a great relationship is trust if you don't trust him then perhaps you should let him go anyways..... and if you do trust in him then find out something awful such as he does have another love then that just means he wasn't the one for you....I know sounds cruel and insensitive but I've learned that nothing and noOne is perfect,and there is always someone eles for you (if your patient enough to wait). Good Luck UK! [Smile]
kaye
Member # 11525

Member Rated:
uklady
quote:
He also recently told me though his family come first! Is this normal
From what I've experienced and what the other people say on these forums....Yes it's normal!
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
His family will always come first, his closest emotional tie will always be his mother. Never ever ask him to chose between you and her because she will always come first. If you get her on your side it will make a fantastic difference to your marriage. My mother in law is my biggest protector and loves me to death.

If he is the oldest then he will consider himself responsible for his younger siblings. Beware a man that doesn't feel like that, it is irresponsible not to.

I always say I come somewhere after the donkey lol but seriously his wife will be expected to help him maintain his obligations to his family not to pull him away from them and she should know she comes after them.

a lot of this is in the Koran about responsibility to family etc, totally worth read to get an understanding of their phsyci

--------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

uklady
Member # 11161

Rate Member
Thanks your advice has been very helpful. But he is still giving me grey hairs and a near heart attack!! lol
uklady
Member # 11161

Rate Member
I only had about 5 grey hairs but now I have 105! lol I will try not to worry. I suppose he will resurface at some point. I do love him alot! But its very difficult.
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by akshar:
His family will always come first, his closest emotional tie will always be his mother. Never ever ask him to chose between you and her because she will always come first. If you get her on your side it will make a fantastic difference to your marriage. My mother in law is my biggest protector and loves me to death.

If he is the oldest then he will consider himself responsible for his younger siblings. Beware a man that doesn't feel like that, it is irresponsible not to.

I always say I come somewhere after the donkey lol but seriously his wife will be expected to help him maintain his obligations to his family not to pull him away from them and she should know she comes after them.

a lot of this is in the Koran about responsibility to family etc, totally worth read to get an understanding of their phsyci

totally agree with this. His mum will come first, his sisters too. you are somewhere after that and will be expected to hang about until hes sorted them first [Big Grin] This is very normal in Egyptian culture so its best to accept it now.

There could be a number of reasons his phone is off or hes not contactable. Best thing is to stay calm and wait for him to contact you and he will explain.

Hope it all goes well [Big Grin]

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo Ning Min E
Member # 681

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mo Ning Min E     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lie lie lie.
If you want to meet someone at 11am tell them 10am and get there at 11:15am.
stress free.

Posts: 1399 | From: alexandria | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kaye:
[Confused] Why are they always late?? Are they just arrogant, are they doing their hair and putting on make up?? lol I hate being late it's very rude.But that's my opinion [Roll Eyes]

It's rude by our (American) culture, but I don't think it's rude there....just another one of those differences to get used to. My husband, who's been in the U.S. almost 20 years, is perfectly punctual here...but when we go to Egypt...it's anyone's guess what time he'll show up. [Big Grin]
Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*The Dark Angel* aka CAT
Member # 11953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *The Dark Angel* aka CAT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Left.Side.Lying.State.Of.Mind:
quote:
Originally posted by kaye:

It's rude by our (American) culture, but I don't think it's rude there....just another one of those differences to get used to. My husband, who's been in the U.S. almost 20 years, is perfectly punctual here...but when we go to Egypt...it's anyone's guess what time he'll show up. [Big Grin]
It's still rude & annoying here to.... that's why punctual people in Egypt usually set meetings or dates an hour earlier........

They are already familiar with a particular person's bad sense of time so they always dp that

So if an meeting a freind who's always an hour late.... i'd ask to meet her at 6 pm while I'm thinking 7 pm ..... then we both would show up at 7 pm without having to wait an hour for her [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 3128 | From: Not Your Heaven | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They're not late about everything..at least my husband isn't. If he says he's gonna call at 10am he'll call at 9:58am. But to get him out of bed to be somewhere..now that's not easy. If I make plans to go out for the day I wanna be up and at 'em early. He wants to roll outta bed at noon and take his sweet time getting ready. We don't leave the house until it's almost dark. Or if we're invited somewhere and he doesn't feel like going he doesn't go and will show up the next day. Here we just don't show up, we call first.
Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunburnt
Member # 4986

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunburnt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Akshar maybe you had no problems because Egyptians were working for Egyptians, and the fact your husband says if you stay on top of them they are OK is not OK, that is the attitude that this country has and why they have to import so many expat to get work done, I have paid well over the odds for the work that needs doing, I have a qualified engineer in from Damascus to help run the job, he is pulling out what is left of his hair atthe ineptitude and downright tardiness of the supposed qualified and experienced people that have been sent from a very reputable firm, this is not a one off problem, every year I have major work done and every year I go to a reputable firm and every year when they find out who the job is for they push the price up and promise me it will be done on time etc, and the best one is when I complain I'm told I'm complaining because they are Muslim and I am christian, and worse of all I am a women, personally I love Cairo I love Egyptian people as friends but I would never never recommend anyone to employ an Egyptian
Posts: 167 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Graf_Genn
Member # 11802

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Graf_Genn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the usual people punctuality isn't a virtue they are concerned with, but I do have a few groups of friends and colleagues that ask "about? Or, exactly?" when we speak about time. There have been a few times in Cairo where I was the only one of the group to arrive late, and the people I was supposed to meet have never been out of the country so they didn't learn their punctuality abroad. I have lived in Germany so I had no excuses [Razz]
Posts: 345 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DamselInDistress
Member # 7061

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DamselInDistress     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hear you Sunburnt. I have a lot of major things that need doing at my place but I keep putting it off.

Just trying to get an easy simple job done around the house can turn into a major disaster. And that is after waiting days or maybe weeks for them to show up and then knock you flat with a ridiculously overinflated cost for the job ...... or when they disappear to buy spare parts (which they should be carrying with them anyway)and arrive back hours or days later with 20LE worth of spare parts and want 200LE for them !

As for maids, don't get me started. I end up paying a fortune for what maids do to my place. This week was water flooded kitchen cabinets and she broke the door handle off my cooker - how or why she did these things is a huge mystery.

Anyway, good luck with the renovations.

Posts: 70 | From: Cairo Egypt | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Show Time
Member # 8513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Show Time     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by doodlebut:
I'm just sayin.

That is ABC Egyptians,
But at least they show up in the end [Big Grin]

Posts: 627 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ky_sunshine
Member # 11226

Rate Member
HMMMM ........My DH is MIA too for 36 hours now.

--------------------

get-over-it
Member # 8447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for get-over-it     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aaarrgghhh

This thread was written for my husband!

We have a train to catch in 21 minutes, to have iftar with friends in London... and where is he? He's running hismelf a bath! [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 172 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foreignluvr
Member # 5854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for foreignluvr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Topic: Are Egyptians ever on time?

NO NO AND NO [Smile]
I know only one Egytpian in my area that is ALWAYS on time but then again he has lived here 15 years...

--------------------
"And in the end, the love we take will be equal to the love we make."
~The Beatles~

Posts: 895 | From: Atlanta, GA. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
uklady
Member # 11161

Rate Member
Very rarely I would say in my experiences.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com