EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Nostalgia!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Nostalgia!!!
Screw you
Member # 11942

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Screw you         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go back in time .... before the Internet and DVDs. Before shootings, stabbings, joy-riders and crystal meth...
Before SEGA or Super Nintendo. Way back...
I'm talking about hide and seek in the park.
The corner dairy, hopscotch, go-carts, cricket in front of the rubbish bin...
Skipping, handstands, footy on the best lawn in the street...
Bullrush, go home stay home, slip’n’slide, the trampoline with water on it...
Hula-hoops, pogo sticks, jumping in enormous puddles, mud pies... and building dams in the gutter.
Summer lasted all holidays and it hardly rained, and when it did you would see half your class at the pictures.
The smell of fresh cut grass and making birds nests on the school field.
"Big bubbles no troubles" 'with hubba bubba bubblegum.
A choc-top Mr Whippy cone on a warm summer night after you've chased him round the block.
When 20 cents worth of mixed lollies was a meal and smoking fags was really cool.
Watching cartoons, short commercials... The Thunderbirds, Scooby-do, Captain Caveman, Hong Kong Phooey, The Mickey Mouse Club, Josie and the pussycats and ... heeeey heeeeey heeeeeeey it's Faaaaaaat Albert!
And staying up late on a long weekend and watching the Sunday Horrors.
When around the corner seemed far away, and going into town seemed like going somewhere.
A million mozzie bites, wasp and bee stings. Sticky fingers.
Cops and Robbers, Cowboys and Indians.
Riding bikes and catching tadpoles. Swimming in the neighbour's pool, drawing all over the road with chalk.
Climbing trees. Walking to school, no matter what the weather.
Running till you were out of breath. Laughing so hard that your stomach hurt.
Jumping on the bed, pillow fights... Spinning around, getting dizzy and falling down was cause for the giggles.
Being tired from playing... remember that?
The worst embarrassment was being picked last for a team.
Water balloons were the ultimate weapon.
Eating jelly crystals, making homemade lemonade.
You knew everyone in your street - and so did your parents!
You would roller-skate everywhere all day.
It wasn't odd to have two or three "best" friends.
You didn't sleep a wink on Christmas Eve.
When nobody owned a pure-bred dog.
When 20c was decent pocket money and 50c was rich.
When nearly everyone's Mum was at home when the kids got there from school.
It was magic when Dad would "remove" his thumb.
When it was considered a great privilege to be taken out to dinner at Cobb and Co with your parents.
When any parent could discipline any kid, feed him and use him to carry groceries, and nobody, not even the kid, thought a thing of it.
When being sent to the principal's office was nothing compared to that which awaited a misbehaving student at home.
Basically we were in fear for our lives, but it wasn't because of drive-by shootings, drugs, gangs, etc. Our parents and grandparents were a much bigger threat! And some of us are still afraid of them!!!
When you spoke to adults by calling them Mr or Mrs whoever, and Auntie or Uncle rather than their first names. Didn't that feel good?
Remember when ... decisions were made by going "eeny-meeny-miney-mo"
"Race issue" meant arguing about who ran the fastest.
"Money issues" were handled by whoever was the banker in "Monopoly".
The worst thing you could catch from the opposite sex was boy/girl germs, and the worst thing in your day was having to sit next to one.
Having a weapon in school meant being caught with a slingshot.
Nobody was prettier than your Mum.
Scrapes and bruises were kissed and made better.
Taking drugs meant orange-flavoured chewable vitamin C.
Ice cream was considered a basic food group.
Going to the beach and catching a wave was a dream come true.
Abilities were discovered because of a "double-dare".
Older siblings were the worst tormentors, but also the fiercest protectors.
If you can remember most or all of these, then you have LIVED!!!!

Posts: 1474 | From: in my own paradise | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I Have LIVED [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tami025
Member # 9181

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tami025     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i wish i have. i really wish i was alive like, 100 years ago. i can do with the tech. we got today. i dont own an ipod or an mp3 player...dont know which is what and dont care either.
i have this old PC with dial up because i could care less about the things that can be done online.
i dont own a dishwasher.
i have a prepaid cell phone because whereever i go there is a phone. i refuse to pay 39-59 bux a month for something i wont use.

this evening a car hit a trans. box on the road and my whole block went out. i live in the middle of the woods so it got pretty dark.
we lit candles and did something we dont do, spoke to each other.
after everyone went to bed, i took the candle to my room and wrote poetry.
then the lights went back on.
i went throught out the house turning them back off and continued to write in the light of my candle.
the beginning of my poem is:
'You hate him cause' he is a jew and wanna stab him through and through.
But once he's dead, you will see red,
for he bleeds the same color as you do'
i hate the way we live today.

Posts: 229 | From: philadelphia, pa, usa | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NotSleeplessInCairo
Member # 8452

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NotSleeplessInCairo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've lived tooooo! [Big Grin]
Posts: 815 | From: London and the other | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithalwaysn4ever
Member # 11860

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithalwaysn4ever     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
tami... i'd like to hear the rest of your poem.... if you care to share.
I have lived too... and i can safely say, there is at least ONE city left where its still like that... *grins*... i think the worst crime that has happened in my city in the last 6 yrs, is two middle school boys got in a fight over a girl, and one punched the other, i think a tooth was lost. lol. And a year ago, some teens thoguht to steal a giant mickey and miney mouse off the rockers on my porch, they were talking amongst themselves asking if they would get caught, if i would notice, unbenonced to them, my window was open... i simply replied out the window "Yes, I think I would notice..." HAHA!!! I have never seen anyone run so fast.
Dont forget when you got sent to the principals office.... the "oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo" and taps done to "da dum da dum".... lol.
Though I only got sent there once, and yes, my mother was a much greater threat.
It baffles me that it isnt still expected to use Mr. or Mrs. Aunt or Uncle.... truely... nothing makes me twitch more than an adult that5 corrects my son when he does it right, and tells him not to call them that, it makes them feel old... *rolls eyes*.
Oh well... it could always be worse eh?

Posts: 120 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
caterpillar
Member # 10438

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for caterpillar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a poem for you faith...

On Egyptsearch they come to share and are looking for an answer,
To the dreams they long and hopes they have for life happy ever after,
Does he love me?
Is he true?
Can you tell me ‘what if it were you?’
Advice comes flying here and there
Charging at them like a bear
Some of it good, some of it bad
So tell me why are they still sad?
Because the truth here you will not find
But in your heart it does reside
It was there hiding all along
The instinct you have trampled on
So take a candle as Tami did
And to your heart you’ll lift the lid
listen as your heart will speak
Of the one it is that you do seek
The moral of the story is…
No one can know if they are true
Cos the answer lies deep within you
You know if hope keeps it alive
Or if its destined to survive
So do not fear if he had lied
Just sit back and enjoy the ride
Your life is yours, enjoy each day
Don’t let a man take that away…

The end...

Posts: 1017 | From: uk | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
caterpillar
Member # 10438

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for caterpillar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NotSleeplessInCairo:
I've lived tooooo! [Big Grin]

lol...classic

anyway, back to spacehoppers...

Posts: 1017 | From: uk | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com