EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » How did Egypt change you? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: How did Egypt change you?
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was it this way like it was in countries as Argentina under dictatorial regime, where men simply were brought up and dissappeared for life?
It happens that men are put or prison for life, or worse???
I`ve heard about the continious arrests from members of the moslim brotherhood, and the journalists/webloggers right now.
And I think we abbirated to the subject, it became political. A nice evening to you too. [Smile]

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ahly
Member # 12512

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ahly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes that true we change it to political but that is part of Egypt and how Egypt was forum and see how Egypt change you? [Smile]

Yes in the 60's Egypt was under same regime as Russia and Egypt was rule with same way and you can make it also same Nazi time in Germany during the nazes in the 40's.
Dear you can not talk? We can not even talk front of our kids or any strangers unless we end in jail for life and no one will ever know where we are?

And you have to also understand that every ten years we went through a war, Second World War was in part of Egypt land, 50' one war for cannel Suez, 60' two wars one in Yemen and second in 67 and finally last war was in 73... so as you can see the whole idea was keep us busy with wars and sent us to die in wars and never freedom and all the economy sources was obligated to build always the Egyptian army and for sure that take us to bad economy and we just start to build our country from the 1985.

And in 20 years new cities was build, new communication system, new transportation systems, new school, new private sectors while tell end of 1970 we have no private sectors all was control by government. In 70, 80 and 90 was not enough school to make all Egyptian kids join the school and the school operated in three shift start first one at 8 tell 12 and from 1 tell 5 and from 5 tell 8 pm. People just forget and just like to talk and just talk no more.
The brotherhood : nice group "joking" and thy thought if they won some election and get some seats in Egyptian parlment that they can do what ever they like? But they forget that there is red line no one cross when it comes to Egypt national security and they did? So they got the what they deserve and I agree 10000% of all what the government doing not only that if I am in their place I will give them two choices
One go back to the right way and stop that brain wash for the Egyptian kids or they end in jail for life time... and I am sure it is better to put them in jail for life time…

So we are growing and we will be one day so soon same as any western culture sure not may be in my time but hope in my kids time….

Posts: 233 | From: Cairo | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it is a matter of time, and also Egypt will change. You can see it in Tunesia, in Maroc, they are all a little bit more European and liberal.
I was shocked by the general opinion from young people in the lower classes. There is really a world of difference between them and the young people from higher classes. They pretend to be modern because they use internet and modern communication, but they are so conservative! In politics, in the way of living, in the knowledge, in every aspect of life!
And they are ready to fight for the moslim "brothers" like that broterhood.
They don`t realize that it will be a step back instead of forward.
And their biggest target is going to Europe...
I can tell them that it`s not better for them, that they better can focus on building a living in Egypt, but they don`t believe me.
Because they see one example that seemed to got rich there, forget all the men who failed...
So shortsighted, so uninformed, and so convinced that this will be the way to happiness...
And the men? They don`t talk about their failures, they don`t talk about how it really is.
They`re keeping up an non-existing image...

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ahly
Member # 12512

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ahly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes that is true and that goes back again to two elements one is the economic and all suffer from does not matter what is your class and that will change for sure by time, I always think positive and the second and the most important reason is education the lower class can not get the same education as meddle and high class can get but the problems also in less knowledge they can be graduated from medical school but the have zero knowledge and all what they read was the education materials never tray to read any thing else to get better knowledge..
And that what I call it none educated graduated student from collage and that is worse thing ca happen.

Brotherhood offer them money, house and marriages so what government offer them? unemployment so sure the defend them and fight for them. But by time they will change.

The western movie chow them how is the western leave, very happy rich life so they think if they just goes their and have nothing to do, they will be so rich  a dream no more.

Posts: 233 | From: Cairo | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
But that Western movies is kept actual because the ones who really left and come back once in a while don`t want to loose their faces and are holding up that non-excisting image of successfull immigrant! In real there is a very small amount of succesfull people. They simply don`t have the skills and the knowledge, to succeed in a Western society, to follow all the laws strictly, to manage and to use systems and structures.
So, they`re holding up that image and lie about their real situations. The effect is that every poor young man without futurious visions, will aim the same as his succesfull relative, neighbour etc. Borders are as good as closed, so they`re trying it in another way, by fake marriages, by follow illegal routes. That results in a lot of sorrow, because they don`t have high moral values and are doing anything what is possible, without any compassion for fellow human beings.They are being manipulated, cheated and lied.
And often they are the visitors here.
You can`t imagine how many times I have heard the same stories in all kind of variations.
It`s sad, but all that women at least have choices to make and they always have a better way out comparing to Egyptian women. Because the Egyptian women are usually locked in the so-called "safe" enviroment at home. I call it imprisoned, because they can`t go anywhere, and their husbands have their hands free to do what they like in Europe. And most often that is not what their religion tells them about good and bad...
And that`s what I mean when I talked about double faces, double standards...
I cannot say that they are all the same, but the average is respectless and selfish.

--------------------

Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ?????:

My heaviest objection against living in Egypt is the fact that I`m less free as I am in Europe.
Always somebody around for protection, because it is needed.

Any part of Cairo, except for example, malls and centre. And even in expensive neighbourhoods I can`t walk by myself. There seems to be always somebody around who seems to be interested and after one, the whole male family follows.

Hm ...

I can relate to what you mean when you say you're less free than in Europe, it's definitely a different lifestyle. But I wouldn't go as far as saying you can only go out with *protection*.

I love Cairo at night, I love walking around, taking in the sights and smells and sounds, I love the lights, the colourful stores, the street life, the food vendors and all that. And I really wish I would be able to take long walks, observe the scenery and get lost in thoughts. But I have to be on guard all the time and I'm always aware of the attention I'm attracting, and of course that makes it less pleasurable.

But – I would never confine myself to staying at home all the time or only go out when there's someone around to accompany me, it wouldn't make sense to be in Cairo then and I would feel like a prisoner. [Frown]
I can understand to a certain extent why you feel the need to have someone around *for protection*, but I wouldn't say that it's a necessity or that it's not possible to walk around by yourself. I've spent more than three years here and I had to go out on my own from day one. It wasn't always easy and I often complain about the harassment, the obtrusive staring and the lack of privacy. But despite this I spend a lot of time out on the streets and in general it's ok.

Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ahly:

By the way German the only nationality the call the NILE the same as we do Egyptian NILE [Smile]

And did you know that we call the fars al ba7r "Nilpferd" – "horse of the Nile"? [Wink]
Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ahly
Member # 12512

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Dalia*:
quote:

By the way German the only nationality the call the NILE the same as we do Egyptian NILE [Smile]

And did you know that we call the fars al ba7r "Nilpferd" – "horse of the Nile"? [Wink]
wow really that intersting for sure [Smile] [Big Grin]
ahly
Member # 12512

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dalia*:
quote:

wow really that intersting for sure [Smile] [Big Grin]
also it seems german the only one use later with number same as the new generation in egypt [Smile] [Big Grin] "fars al ba7r " when they type? [Smile]
Mo Ning Min E
Member # 681

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mo Ning Min E     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How has Egypt changed me?
I swear a lot more [probably because most people don't understand the words] I smoke too much, I'm not afraid of dentists any more, I am more tolerant [even though I was very tolerant before] i have become dangerously fatalistic [being widowed here may have done that] learned to enjoy living alone.
Much more cautious when I open my big mouth, as Egyptians can be oversentitive, I speak English more slowly to English people, and sometimes can't understand regional British accents!!!
I am unbelievably lazy, lost weight, but eat more and better.
Learning to accomodate the fact that most of my friends are poorer even than me.A problem for most foreigners here I bet, needs a LOT of thought and sensitivity. [How do you deal with it?]
Love the people here, ok, some do desperate things,[chase foreign women/or men for money]but, so much poverty, inevitable maybe.
And I will NEVER learn to like Molokaia soup.

Posts: 1399 | From: alexandria | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jessie:

And I will NEVER learn to like Molokaia soup.

Ditto that. [Big Grin] How long have you been living so far in Egypt?
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo Ning Min E
Member # 681

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mo Ning Min E     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nearly 5 years. Can recommend it to ANYONE.
Posts: 1399 | From: alexandria | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So as soon as you came to Egypt you logged on ES? [Wink]

Hopefully I am able to finish five years at one point. I stopped at around three years.

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo Ning Min E
Member # 681

Rate Member
"So as soon as you came to Egypt you logged on ES? "
Golly, are you reading all my old posts now?

Actually, checked out ES before coming here, then didn't bother for months after we arrived. [Big Grin]

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Now, don't worry, I just saw your registration date on the bottom. I am NOT Sono! [Wink]

I looked up ES couple of times in 2003 but didn't decide to register and participate. Then I finally did it. The first bigger argument I had with HOMESICK aka.... aka..... [Big Grin]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com