EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » need help quick!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: need help quick!
doodlebug
Member # 11649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doodlebug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I leave in about two days for Egypt and I was told by someone that I need 4 passport-sized photos of myself in order to get married.

1) is this true?

2) does it have to follow the specs of a normal passport photo, i.e. background, etc. or can I just take one here in my living room?

3) what the heck size is it?

thanks. hopefully someone will know. [Smile]

Posts: 1808 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miss Sharm
Member # 12405

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miss Sharm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doodlebug - I do remember reading in another thread that when you plan to get married in Egypt that it is useful if you have quite a few passport sized photos with you. I am sure that you will be able to get these done in Egypt when you are there or maybe you could get them done at the airport before your fly to Egypt.

Have a wonderful trip and take care.

Amanda x

Posts: 1244 | From: we come in peace | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miss Sharm
Member # 12405

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miss Sharm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doodlebug - Don't know if this is any help to you but I have just measured a photo I had taken for my passport and the measurements are 3.7 cms (width) and 4.6 cms (length).

Amanda x

Posts: 1244 | From: we come in peace | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ahly
Member # 12512

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ahly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Passport size and with same passport Photo setup and never worry just come to Egypt their a lot of Kodak photo shop and it just take an hour and give you what ever you look for.? Just make around 16 pictures just in case you need more so no more stress :

Congratulation and wish you both all happiness in the world and one day you will remember all the stress you went through and laugh about it [Smile] and become like Egyptian take it easy : [Smile]

Posts: 233 | From: Cairo | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doodlebug
Member # 11649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doodlebug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hahaha you can say that again ahly he is the mosts laid back man i've ever known and i'm the typical stressed out american type a businesswoman. lol. driving me crazy i tell ya!!!
Posts: 1808 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tilutine
Member # 12661

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tilutine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why bother with a photo shop? Just enter any photo machine in your town, it will take you 3 minutes to get your ID pictures, and you won't have to worry about them anymore. Have everything ready before you leave, as much as you can -rest of the marriage process will be boring enough.
Posts: 78 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ahly
Member # 12512

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ahly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Smile] [Smile] I know American very well :)and I know how you handle your life and obligation very well, but really take it easy and relax, in Egypt is nothing called can not be done and in last minute,.

One day I was going to get my visa to Italy and early in the morning at 7 am i found i have no pictures for the application, Gus what? Even that early I mange to get the pictures I need and I got my visa : [Smile] even it was so stressful but I got them, so never worry really all will go so fine. And just relax and enjoy the last few hours of your freedom as single lady because with few hours you will be marry lady…. Really congratulations

RELAX ALL WILL BE FINE [Smile]

Posts: 233 | From: Cairo | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
citizen
Member # 1344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for citizen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, photos can be got while you wait at Kodak shops, around 15-20 mins.

Doodle, correct me if I'm wrong but aren't you about to meet your husband-to-be for the first time in real life? Maybe you should give it a few days to get to know him before the wedding?

Posts: 1039 | From: Cairo | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget your fiance will need photos too [Smile] You can also go to the photoshop (first floor right inside the front doors to the right) located at that huge place in Tahrir square (where you do visa's etc). It is just a few minutes walk from the American Embassy, your first stop.

Good Luck!
I forgot to mention, they also have a photocoping service there, all very fast and cheap.

Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doodlebug
Member # 11649

Thanks!

Yes we are meeting for the first time on Tuesday night. We're gonna prolly stay up all night long chit chatting and ultimately we'll decide what to do at that point but the plan is to get married asap because we don't want to do anything wrong. [Cool]

If either one of us is hesitant we will wait, but I don't see that happening, insha Allah. [Smile]

citizen
Member # 1344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for citizen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, good luck, doodle. If you were my sister or daughter I'd advise you to wait a while, even a couple of weeks, as it's a lifetime's commitment and 24 hours seems rather short for such a huge decision.
Posts: 1039 | From: Cairo | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doodlebug
Member # 11649

Well I agree but since we've been conversing for over 8 months each day it's not just 24 hours, but thanks. [Smile]
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
doodlebug, I met and married my husband through somewhat similar circumstances. We were married 4 days after my arrival in Cairo, though we had never met in person. Alhamdullilah we are married now almost 5 years, and as with every marriage, we have had our ups and downs, but our love will never fade, nor our commitment to each other.

My best wishes to you and for your new future.
Laura

Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
good luck doodlebug. it is a wonderful experience when you finally meet your love. i did the same as you in july 2005 and we are soooooooooo happy. good luck and best wishes
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doodlebug
Member # 11649

whoooooaaaah nelly........I just read a wicked old post on this site and someone said that when you get married they go through the contract and the person presiding over the marriage tells the husband what sexual acts he cannot do to his wife.

Is that true???? If so.................what are they since I know NO arabic?? [Eek!]

unsure
Member # 12244

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for unsure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why don't you have your fiance translate the marriage contract?
Posts: 319 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doodlebug
Member # 11649

quote:
Originally posted by unsure:
Why don't you have your fiance translate the marriage contract?

I will. I was kind of kidding since I don't really believe that post. I know of only two restrictions in our religion but the post i read said there was like ten. I don't really think they get that detailed in the contract right?
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doodle you can easy get photos of ANY size done in Egypt in less than an hour (sometimes Egy time is used though!). [Big Grin]

I wish you all the very best and pray all goes well with meeting your new husband and that you have a long and happy life together [Smile]

Have a great time in Egypt, I will be sat in the freezing cold UK waiting to hear what a fantastic time you had and that you are hooked on Egypt as much as many of us [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mysticheart
Member # 6838

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mysticheart   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doodle are you from the states?
If so just go and get 4 to 6 passport photos done, any walgreens or walmart portrait studio does them and will size them properly for you.They come in sets of 2

--------------------
http://image.lafemmebonita.com/c/av879029.jpg

Posts: 2410 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doodlebug
Member # 11649

Went to Walmart and got two sets of two. All set! [Smile] Of course I'm all set.........he still doesn't have his id. [Roll Eyes] Not his fault though, they originally gave him it desginating him as a female. I guess the old id's are null and void after the new year so the pressure's on. Insha Allah it will all get done and if not then it will work out the way it's supposed to because my worrying about it is not going to change anything. [Smile]
trababe
Member # 11777

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for trababe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
good luck doodlebug i am going to marry my fiance next yr too we have met twice this yr and its the best experience and i wish u all the best and hope you are happy en sha alaah
Posts: 477 | From: lancashire england | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foreignluvr
Member # 5854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for foreignluvr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by doodlebug:
whoooooaaaah nelly........I just read a wicked old post on this site and someone said that when you get married they go through the contract and the person presiding over the marriage tells the husband what sexual acts he cannot do to his wife.

Is that true???? If so.................what are they since I know NO arabic?? [Eek!]

as already stated have ur husband or anyone read the marriage contract to you. I guess you can also get it translated to english.
And I think what you read is a lot of bs as the only restrictions as a Muslim are anal sex and sex during the womans period.
Someone tell me if I am wrong please...

Posts: 895 | From: Atlanta, GA. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by foreignluvr:
quote:
Originally posted by doodlebug:

And I think what you read is a lot of bs as the only restrictions as a Muslim are anal sex and sex during the womans period.
Someone tell me if I am wrong please...

you are right, they are the only Quranic restrictions regarding sex.
Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com