EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Egyptian Marriage Contract in English?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Egyptian Marriage Contract in English?
Ivy1111
Member # 12412

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Ivy1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know where I can find an English version of the Egyptian marriage contract?

Thanks [Smile]

Posts: 38 | From: Dokki, Cairo | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for al-Kahina   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ivy1111:
Does anyone know where I can find an English version of the Egyptian marriage contract?

Thanks [Smile]

Depends which convenience store the Egyptian guy picks up the document from.

There are different versions.

Posts: 3168 | From: If you don't like it, don't look or read it! | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ardooda
Member # 5159

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ardooda   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mme. Godiva:
quote:

Thanks [Smile]

Depends which convenience store the Egyptian guy picks up the document from.

There are different versions.

LOOOOOOOLLLL!!!! [Big Grin]
Posts: 84 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for al-Kahina   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well this is what blows chunks:

Because the Imam presiding over our marriage contract was also a "stand in" walli for me there was no prior negiotiations to go into the contract.

I did see a piece of paper in Arabi but I have no clue what it meant to represent or what it said.

I think the Orfi wives here on ES have a better idea of what is on that darn orfi paper than I do on my marriage contract.

I know the paperwork we filed with the county means and represents but I have no idea what form or what the form said that we signed back in the Imam's office.

I have no fricking clue and it doesn't matter now anyhow. All I know is I have "full rights" and that my ex husband doesn't have "full rights". Whatever that means.

Posts: 3168 | From: If you don't like it, don't look or read it! | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doodlebug
Member # 11649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doodlebug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Thanks [Smile]

I'm not sure what you mean. Each marriage contract is different since you can add or subtract whatever you'd like. I would venture a guess and say the basic plain contract without any edits would just say that you were both free to marry, that so and so were the witnesses and that $xxx was the amount of money given to the bride by the groom. Other than that people usually add whatever they want in there.
Posts: 1808 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Thanks [Smile]

you have to take your marriage contract in arabic and have it translated, then you take it get all of the appropriate stamps saying it is genuine and from there you can file it with your embassy and they will authenticate it as well. best of luck.

(if you are from another country just contact your embassy here and ask them what you have to do, they usually have a website that helps and gives you info on all you need to do...but you can get the original contract translated at a law office or even sometimes find professional translation offices )

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ivy1111
Member # 12412

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ivy1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry... I should have been more specific. I am an American and will marry an Egyptian. I know I have to do it at the Ministry of Justice and get it translated and all, but I'd just like to have an idea of what the form says before I go in.

For those of you already married under Egyptian law, particularly the foreign women, what sort of conditions did you put in the contract?

Posts: 38 | From: Dokki, Cairo | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ivy1111, send of a private message with questions to ES member 'akshar'.

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=002391

She will be able to give you proper answers.

And while we are at it; don't sell yourself 'cheap'. They wanna treat you like an Egyptian woman than be demanding like one.

All the best for the upcoming wedding. [Smile]

Some links they might be useful for you:

http://www.missionislam.com/family/marriagecontract.htm

http://muslimconverts.com/islamic_marriage/marriage05.htm

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ivy, everyone is different, you can work that out with your husband (fieancee)- as far as the translation, there are a number of places he should be able to find immediately after receiving the actual contract (can't receive it the first day) to get it translated. the ministry where you marry can also give you the name of a place they recommend to get official translations of the contract as well, so ask them. Once you have that translation just take it to the american embassy, check in, and file it with them there. easy peasy [Smile] Of course it will be a lot of leg work...
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ivy1111
Member # 12412

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ivy1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sigh.... I guess no chance to read it in English ahead of the signing. I know there is a basic form and then you add the conditions below, but I still don't know what that form says. Once I get my translated version, I think I will try to post it somewhere where others curious as I might find it.
seabreeze
Member # 10289

if you want you can hire an attorney to work out the specifics, many speak english and will be happy to work out what specifications you want...if you want a recommendation just let me know.
Ivy1111
Member # 12412

Member Rated:
Thanks for all the helpful advice. Got the contract negotiated and signed, and I am very happy with the outcome:) I appreciate all the input.
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alf Mabrook Ivy [Smile]

Can you tell us more about the marriage contract.
Is it a separate document added to the marriage certificate, or a clause that is added to it?

Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i got my marriage contract translated by a university here in the states . it is all legal .you have to pay a fee of course but it is worth it cause the uscis needs it and the embassy
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When you use the term Marriage Contract are you referring to the Marriage License? Are they two separate documents, or one?
Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the marriage contract is my license.that is all i needed to get my passport and driver license and everything changed in my married name . they are all one .
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cosmogirl
Member # 8748

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cosmogirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Micky, I DREAD changing over all my documentation and life to another name. We legally changed out names to match after we got married, but I have such a freaking MOUNTAIN of sh*t that I have to inform of the change that I have been dragging my feet. We have a fuse of abotu 4 more months to finish all the detail work, but we wanted the birth certificate to reflect our shared identity. It was funny because Himself said that to take the Husbands name was a US tradition, not an Egy one, and he was bowled over by my taking his name.
Posts: 1071 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
well you don't have to change your name if you don't want to , i did it because when i go to Egypt i don't have to get a visa [Big Grin] and i love my new last name. your birth cerf. cant be changed . that is who you are but just on the marriage cerf. . maybe i am not understanding your question right
Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shebah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know what you mean Cosmo. About the guys being used to the woman keeping her name. But I don't think it's just Egyptian, isn't it Islamic too?

Like to see what everyone has to say about that.

That's why I was surprised that he wanted me to take his name. A thing of honor for both of us. But there, it's just not done. [Smile]

--------------------
شكرا و أللام عليكم
شيبى

Posts: 2133 | From: Redneckland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PARECETAMOLspeed
Member # 10861

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PARECETAMOLspeed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
whats in name !!! oh boy love 's young dream ..

--------------------
headache4u

Posts: 88 | From: HEAVEN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
sabry is muslium but was proud to have me take his name his family always jokes with me and says micky who?????????? and i reply with our family name
Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shebah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My guy is Muslim too. But I wonder isn't it in Islam somewhere about the woman keeping her name? Just curious.

--------------------
شكرا و أللام عليكم
شيبى

Posts: 2133 | From: Redneckland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingTrucks
Member # 11270

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for FlyingTrucks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
guess what ladies my guy is MUSLIM AS WELL ... [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
oh its so exciting isnt it like 3chickkys in a swamp !!!!

Posts: 4597 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
hehehe
but the question chimps hehehe

--------------------
شكرا و أللام عليكم
شيبى

FlyingTrucks
Member # 11270

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for FlyingTrucks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well if hes got a good DING DONG then his name is worthy ,and every time his name is called with my first name then i would grinwith glee ..but if he aint he can stretch it somewhere else ..
im not into my name any im known as the servant or the slave and DONT LIKE IT .... [Eek!] [Eek!]
sohas he got a small ding dong whats my graemlins doing [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 4597 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
ROFLMAO

Well, I wouldn't know about his DING DONG. LOL But well i'd be proud to have the name of the MAN. hehehe

You crack me up woman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ههههههههههههههه [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
شكرا و أللام عليكم
شيبى

FlyingTrucks
Member # 11270

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by sheba76:
ROFLMAO

Well, I wouldn't know about his DING DONG. LOL But well i'd be proud to have the name of the MAN. hehehe

You crack me up woman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ههههههههههههههه [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

yeah rite and im called LALA???? [Wink]
Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
[Eek!] [Eek!] [Mad]

LOL

--------------------
شكرا و أللام عليكم
شيبى

ShyLady
Member # 12176

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ShyLady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, Sheba you are correct. It is the norm for a Muslim lady to keep her maiden name even after marriage. In Islam we shouldn't break ties with the father's (or family's) name, so after marriage a woman will typically still keep her father's name. What we in the West would view as a last name is actually a person's father's 1st name. So for example if a lady's name is "Fatima" and her father's name is "Mohammed Abdullah" then her name will be "Fatima Mohammed" or "Fatima bint Mohammed" meaning "Fatima daughter of Mohammed". (Same applies for male children except the "bint" becomes "bin".) Sometimes a third name is also added and this will usually be the father's father's 1st name ("Fatima Mohammed Abdullah" in this example) or a tribal name. But it's more common just to go by the shorter "Fatima Mohammed" version. And she will typically keep the name "Fatima Mohammed" even after marriage.
Posts: 15 | From: UAE | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ivy1111
Member # 12412

Member Rated:
I kept my same last name. Made everyone happy, and will be useful for me in my career.
My husband is likely going to do a PhD in the US or Scotland, so we are having all the documents formally translated by the Ministry of Justice, certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, then approved by the US consul, as per requirements. I want to handle all the drama now, because I have seen too many couples having drama stateside becuase they didn't get a stamp or signature somewhere along the way.
When I say "marriage contract", I mean the document you sign to legally get married in Egypt. As it turned out, there were several elements.... Once I get it translated, I will try to type it up and post it. I'm going from memory here, I won't get it back for about a week.
There were 5 copies we had to sign, and each copy had our photos (a special size) and our thumbprint.
Following a section for our personal details, there was a space for the personal details of the witnesses.
The contract has blanks to fill in details about where the couple's residence will be, the religion of the two, the amount of the dowry, the amount of alimony to be paid to the woman in case of divorce.
The section for conditions is a space of about 10 blank lines where you can write whatever conditions you want. Below that section it says something like that the conditions cannot contradict Egyptian law or Islamic law.

That's all I can remember right now.....

akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget that the conditions of the contract are not what he has to do when you are married but what are grounds for the contract being considered broken and you can therefore divorce.

For example you could have in your marriage contract that your daughters will not be circumcised and he goes ahead and gets them done. You then can get divorced because he has broken the conditions of the contract. But it didnt stop him. Just something to bear in mind

--------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com