EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » British man, Egyptian woman

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: British man, Egyptian woman
cultureclash
Member # 13036

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cultureclash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is my first post on this forum so please forgive any accidental breaches of etiquette.

I am looking for a little advice on my current situation.

I am a British man in love with an Egyptian woman.

She is well educated, Muslim but quite liberal in some ways (i.e. no hijab), independent and older than usual for marriage in Egypt.

I am ostensibly Christian but agnostic i.e. non-religious, well educated with a good job living in England.

Her father is traditional and wants her to marry an Egyptian quickly i.e. before she is too old (as seen in that culture). He has however assented to her marrying me but there are a number of conditions.

I must convert to Islam and any children must be brought up in that way. I understand that this is an absolute requirement. I am willing to convert but it is unlikely that I can ever follow every tenet of the Islamic religion.

This is my most serious concern.

There are also several financial requirements including a dowry of £10k, an 'on divorce' settlement of £30k and a furnished flat in Egypt as insurance against divorce.

This is obviously quite a strange concept to someone in England. While I understand the reasons for the conditions, the financial requirements are quite impossible as my wealth is almost wholly invested in the house that I live in.

Provided a wedding in Egypt is lawful, my wife would have the rights and protection associated with marriage in England. This is considerable, often at least half of all marital assets which in this case is more than the requested financial settlement.

This is obviously something I will need to discuss with my prospective bride/her father but any advice would be gratefully received.

I am also concerned about certain traditional (but I understand non-Islamic) medical procedures that are common in almost all Egyptian girls.
Again, any advice would be appreciated.

I am doing my own research and will obviously discuss most of this with the people concerned, but a wider viewpoint is always appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 11 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hibbah
Member # 12156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hibbah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cultureclash:
This is my first post on this forum so please forgive any accidental breaches of etiquette.

She is well educated, Muslim but quite liberal in some ways (i.e. no hijab), independent and older than usual for marriage in Egypt.

I am ostensibly Christian but agnostic i.e. non-religious, well educated with a good job living in England.

Her father is traditional and wants her to marry an Egyptian quickly i.e. before she is too old (as seen in that culture). He has however assented to her marrying me but there are a number of conditions.

I must convert to Islam and any children must be brought up in that way. I understand that this is an absolute requirement. I am willing to convert but it is unlikely that I can ever follow every tenet of the Islamic religion.

There are also several financial requirements including a dowry of £10k, an 'on divorce' settlement of £30k and a furnished flat in Egypt as insurance against divorce.

This is obviously quite a strange concept to someone in England. While I understand the reasons for the conditions, the financial requirements are quite impossible as my wealth is almost wholly invested in the house that I live in.

Provided a wedding in Egypt is lawful, my wife would have the rights and protection associated with marriage in England. This is considerable, often at least half of all marital assets which in this case is more than the requested financial settlement.

This is obviously something I will need to discuss with my prospective bride/her father but any advice would be gratefully received.

I am also concerned about certain traditional (but I understand non-Islamic) medical procedures that are common in almost all Egyptian girls.

I am doing my own research and will obviously discuss most of this with the people concerned, but a wider viewpoint is always appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

well- good luck, sounds like you're really thinking everything through which is great.

Those financial stipulations sound like a drag, I understand that its normal nowadays for men to provide their future brides with furnished apartments- but I dont know about that divorced settelment though. I believe that in islam, if divorce is intiated by the woman- traditionally she gives back what was given to her. I hope some of ther Egyptians on this site will be able to help you with your question.

But do you think its fair for you to marry her if you're not going to actually be practicing Islam? (To her- does she care, or is it just her parents who care?)

Best of luck!

Posts: 1967 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cultureclash
Member # 13036

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cultureclash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm approaching this from the perspective of making sure that this will be fair to all involved, particularly her and me.

I'm not willing to lie to make the marriage easy and then act in a different way later on.

If I cannot honestly meet her expectations regarding religion then we simply cannot be together. She does care about that though - I just don't know yet how strictly she will expect me to conform.

For me it is a question of practicality and ethics - it isn't possible for someone to believe just because it is convenient. The Koran singles out those who pretend to believe for particular criticism from what I have read.

We will both have to make compromises to make this work - the question is, are those compromises possible for both of us?

The financial requirements appear to be in line with traditions i.e. "Mahr" (dowry paid to the bride at the time of the marriage) and "Moakhar el Sadaq" (literally "deferred dowry"), which is paid to the wife on termination of the marriage by reason of divorce or the husband's death.

I have spent quite a lot of time in Egypt and my experience is that everything is negotiable. Where there is a will there is often, but not always, a way.

Thank you for your reply.

Posts: 11 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demiana
Member # 2710

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Demiana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since you cannot meet the Egyptian requirements maybe you should lay-out your perspective.
You marry with the sharing of goods, she would get half whenever the two of you should divorce.
You may consider and include divorcesettlements like her and children will remain in the home whenever a divorce comes up (maybe only after the two of you will have children, otherwise when the marriage fails you just have to give her half which is more then enough). You will pay alimoney for her and the children. Don't be unfair to her nor you.
You want the both of you to remain your religious heritage and add both to the welfare and growing up of your future children. You want them to have both families, nationalities and languages. You don't want either her's or your's, you want both.
You don't want to invade her personal integrety nor do you want yours invaded.
The good man is probably thinking you are a good catch since having the UK-nationality and he cannot judge your financial situation. Don't raise more expectations then you can offer.
Since it is mostly the mothers that attend to the religious upbringing of the children your spouse to be can bring the children to the mosque and teach them, but they should be alowd to join you and your family whenever you want or need to visit church. This children will have two families, not one.
To cover for requirements in Egypt and your own welfare you may want to become muslim for the record, but you insist your personal background will be respected in the marriage.
If you don't you will have hell to pay to meet the expectations of your Egyptian family for a long time to come and your wife will be in the middle.
Expect harsh negotiations when necessary, but I am sure your perspective will be considered seriously.
Don't pull yourself in heavy debt like Egyptian men have to do and pay for it when living your married life.
Don't even consider the biggest wedding ever in Egypt. How much you want to make everybody happy you just can't afford it and I am sure they will make you bleed over it since you are supposed to have it all. It would only enhance the envy in her neighbourhood.
Explain that you have to have two weddings and an affordable married life so you have to budget. Go to the mosque and the embassy and have dinner with her closest relatives in a restaurant. Have her parents throw the both of you a farewell meeting at her parents home with tea, refreshements, and homemade food. Hand out some souvenir weddingsugars brought from England to the countless familymembers and neighbours.
Just don't exceed yourself excessively becaus you are in love. You want be the first couple that will divorce very soon over moneyproblems.
You may want to add that boys may but under no circumstances girls will be circumcised. The rate in Egypt is still considered high.
That would be my general advice.

Posts: 1419 | From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hibbah
Member # 12156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hibbah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
cultureclash,
Demiana makes a good point about how her father might think that you are doing quite well financially since you're British. I'm sure if you're honest with him about what you can, and cannot afford, you will be able to work something out thats a bit more reasonable. My brother recently got married, and the girl asked for 10,000. She ended up getting 1,000 (as they decided to get married young, and my brother is only making about 30,000 dollars a year right now). Actually, I think the amount they're asking for is pretty steep. But thats just me.

As for your comment about Islam, I couldnt agree more.Its not possible for someone to "convert" to Islam simply to marry an individual. Its completely unethical and in the end, it would be a lie. I definitely do not recommend you forcing yourself into that type of situation- if you want to, maybe you can take some time to study Islam before any of this goes any further. In all honesty, it wouldnt be fair to you, your future wife, her family, or your kids if you dont figure out what you're going to do about this.

oh, and definitely forget about that female circumcism. blah. But its possible that your girlfriends family doesnt even practice this- my bf is from a pretty traditional Egyptian family, and none of his sisters, nor his mother ever had that done.

Posts: 1967 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demiana
Member # 2710

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Demiana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would not have the slightest doubt to convert for judicial, administrative and other reasons. In Egypt public and religious domain are still mixed and your rights are better preserved as is your acceptance in the family. As you have a public face and a private face in Egypt. I wouldn't even argue about it. Although I do hope the both of you will live in the UK mostly. With the current fanaticism in religion you will have a more difficult time as a mixed couple with a traditional family in Egypt I believe.
Mixed couples marrying some 30 years ago, even mixed religious couples in Egypt were more at ease and accepted as what they are, mixed, then with the current undertow of religious hostilities and public profiling.

--------------------
Fools blame everyone else, starting philosophers blame themselves, wise people don't blame anyone (Epictetus)

Posts: 1419 | From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TamerSaid
Member # 12442

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TamerSaid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi
oh great am surprised actual .........
1-she's muslim woman and if you convert your religion you have to believe in it not only for marriage.
2-am from egypt and muslim man so i find it very hard for you.
3-the nice family in egypt or the respected family cant ever never accepted this so i think they only looking for your money.
thanks

Posts: 37 | From: Egypt | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If a christian woman had made this post, everyone would tell her marriage is no reason for conversion.

Should it be any different for a man?

Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Laura:
If a christian woman had made this post, everyone would tell her marriage is no reason for conversion.

Should it be any different for a man?

True, but religion views it differently. A Muslim woman *must* marry a Muslim man. So there's not as much flexibility.
Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TamerSaid
Member # 12442

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TamerSaid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
am not saying its not impossible but its very very hard.so try to forget her and find western woman will be better believe me.
Posts: 37 | From: Egypt | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cultureclash
Member # 13036

Rate Member
On conversion, the man is the head of a household and therefore must be Muslim. There is no choice, it is only the expectation of adherence to Islamic practices that is in question.

I'm not religious so I will not want my children to go to a Christian church but there is a limit to how much I can compromise on my personal ethics.

I am doing quite well financially, but in common with many in western countries I do not have £50k in cash savings. I earn well and it pays for my lifestyle and home.
I can afford to provide well for my family, but not to meet the requests as well as do that.

We would certainly live in England and I'm not prepared to sell my home and compromise what I would provide for my family simply to insure against something going wrong.

While I appreciate all views, I find it difficult to believe that no 'respectable' family in Egypt could countenance the marriage of their daughter to a foreigner. Times they are a changin', even in Egypt.
This is difficult for her father as he is traditional, but an Islamic wedding cannot be forced. He wants her to marry and to be happy and safe, and he is willing to let her follow her heart with certain safeguards. I respect him for that.

Thank you for all the comments so far.

Demiana
Member # 2710

Rate Member
Good to see that you acknowledge where the father is coming from. You can meet each other on those grounds.
You may not want your children to attend church but in social life they sometimes have to, either it be a schoolouting, the funeral of a familymember or friend or appearance in schoolchoir.
I have islamic friends that on a touristic outing will not enter the church where our royalty have their tombes, just becaus it is a church. Try sell this to your kids.

Hibbah
Member # 12156

you mean muslim friends?
Why wouldnt they go into a church? I wasnt aware of any restrictions on muslims going into churches. I've been to plenty of historical churches, cathedrals, and I've been to a catholic mass, a black baptist sermon, and a church of christ sermon.
I always thought churches and synagogues were considered houses of God.hmmmm- must look this up.

Demiana
Member # 2710

Rate Member
Hi Hibbah,
As there is not one single authority in christianity neither is there in Islam, although some may want you to believe that.

Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shebah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I'm not religious so I will not want my children to go to a Christian church but there is a limit to how much I can compromise on my personal ethics.
If you want them to accept your marriage. They will have to be raised Muslim. By going to a Christian church do you mean visiting, or being raised in it? If you can't accept Islam.....I'm sorry, you probably just don't have much of a chance.

quote:
While I appreciate all views, I find it difficult to believe that no 'respectable' family in Egypt could countenance the marriage of their daughter to a foreigner. Times they are a changin', even in Egypt.

Sorry to say this, but......you have no idea. I'm going through this same thing at the moment. Sort of. I'm not accepted, but for different reasons. They love me, love him, respect us both, but are sooooooooo traditional. So now it's in God's hands. [Smile]

Anyway, keep your hope, faith, and strength, and don't quit trying. But do not expect them to be so open minded. Cuz sorry but, it's just not a very common thing in certain parts of Egypt. Even these days. [Frown]

I know this is a negative post. Sorry for that. Just the facts that I have learned. Good luck. I wish you and her the best. [Smile]

Posts: 2133 | From: Redneckland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hibbah
Member # 12156

quote:
Originally posted by Demiana:
Hi Hibbah,
As there is not one single authority in christianity neither is there in Islam, although some may want you to believe that.

Well, I'd like to know where they came up with that idea- if you ever get the chance to ask them- i'd appreciate it. Theres a difference between something being in the quran, or the hadith, or from your wazoo. There has to be a limit to what one can say is a part of islam, and what isnt a part of Islam. I cant very well say that chocolate chip cookies are forbidden in Islam.

wouldnt you agree? there has to be some type of criteria- otherwise it wouldnt be called organized religion.

Demiana
Member # 2710

Rate Member
Organized religion does have rules Hibbah, of course you are right.
But I am not sure how to define if a rule is considered 'pure' christian or 'pure' Islamic for that matter. It would depend on the authority one relies on I guess, or the community you are in. And I don't believe our holy books will help us in this!:-) unless you are a fundamentalist.

mi feng
Member # 9378

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mi feng     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
funny, I'm not hearing (reading) much about your personal relationship with your love. Yes, there is the family, the culture, the religion, etc etc etc. But these are all general concepts, none of the advice about which can really apply to two unique individuals. It sounds almost like you are negotiating an arranged marriage with this woman. I am sorry if that sounds harsh, but I am in a East vs West relationship, and know personally how much variation there is in such.
Take the father, and the $$ and the FGM (?!) out of the equation for a moment. Those are all preliminary requirements or queries that are easy to figure out compared to spending your life with someone, and more importantly, raising children with them.
If I were you I would be far more concerned about your future wife's expectations of you, particularly regarding religion, than anything else.
Push comes to shove pretty quickly when two people have vastly different values and beliefs and are then thrust into trying to raise children together.
What does she really expect from you? And how can you be ready to marry someone who expects you to completely change your beliefs and values? Doesn't that insinuate a lack of respect for YOUR life and all that makes you who you are?

Posts: 1161 | From: wo xiang xiao bian ji si le | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cultureclash
Member # 13036

Rate Member
Queenbee, if you refer back to my original post I did say that I would be discussing this and noted that my major concern was religion. We have already talked about it and of course further discussion will be very important, but here I am looking for general advice. I understand your point about general advice, but I feel that it does have some value.

You are correct that you are not hearing much about my personal relationship - that is because I am not asking advice about it.

I'm not so naieve as to think that 'love conquers all' and thinking about this now, far from negotiation of an arranged marriage, is to ensure that if it happens it will work. I think that this approach is far better than saying one thing before a marriage and then acting differently afterwards - something I understand is quite common in standard Egyptian marriages.

Thanks for your comments.

Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Religious rules can be expressed in various ways. Even when it is explained by the literary letter of The Book, subjects can be explained in many forms. Even experts have different opinions about the interpretation of this.
So, I think it`s better to take a look how the family uses this rules, and are they willing to use the same rules for themselves? Many forms of what we should call hypocrisy is part of many family`s.
It`s important to know what exactly will be expected from you, as a familymember, and most of all as a quite prosperous member of the family. The source of income for all who are in need ??? This can be a futurious argument for struggle, because views on "who is in need" are probably different.
Don`t underestimate your responsibilities concerning the family. It`s partly religious, more cultural, but can be explained as a religious duty.

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TamerSaid:
the nice family in egypt or the respected family cant ever never accepted this so i think they only looking for your money.

This statement is so typical of the Egyptian male-dominated rigid and dumb mentality.

Times are changing and many "nice" and "respected" families have come to accept the fact that their daughters can make their own choices of choosing to marry whoever they want, if they EVER CHOOSE to marry, which is also a new trend in Egypt. Yes, believe it or not, some Egyptian women rather stay single than be unhappily married.

Egyptian males made up a lie and believed it that they are superior to males of other nationalities. When an Egyptian male opts for a foreign wife, then he's a winner and a stud and God's gift to her and she should be so thankful for his eternal tantrums and malignant ego. And their children are the most beautiful in the whole wide extended family only because their mommy is Blondie and so they are!

And once an Egyptian woman chooses for a foreign husband, then she's a whore and her family is low class and she has done it only because she failed to win the lottery of marrying a super Egyptian man, so the poor soul opted for a second best who sadly happens to love her and understand her and respect her and not lie to her and actually goes as far as flossing his teeth for her!

Converts will always be accused of being untrue or incomplete Muslims. Be it for matrimonial purposes or for otherwise, a convert is never good enough for the "true Arab Muslims". Like Islam is a genetic trait or something. Only God knows that most of those born-Muslims are God's lowest rank hypocrites, and that God is the true judge for what's in our heart.

CC, I would like to share a couple of thoughts with you:

1- Marrying an Egyptian Muslim woman is not easy. You are aware that you are making a sacrifice and a commitment for life, aren't you? You have to understand what it means to convert before you do. I have sadly seen how several women on this forum who converted for their summer flings and later on ended up in an identity crisis and several conflict about their children's affiliation. Let alone those stories/nightmares of kidnapping children and disappearing without a trace.

I don't know how strict your lady is, but you might have fights over your having an alcoholic drink or about the origins of a funny looking sandwich that could say oink if it was alive. You could get offended and take it personally that she doesn't want you to kiss her sometimes for you don't know that she has just washed and on the way to pray and is supposed to stay "unsullied" until she does her prayer. Those small misinterpretations can create lots of tension if you're not ready for them.

2- Those financial issues are also something typical of our culture. The real reason why families ask for lots of money and a house for the bride, is simply the fact that men can be untrustworthy "if taken only at face value", and when they make financial commitments, they become more serious. It's a bit different in my family, but my family is unique in many things. My sister married a young man who adored her for 7 years before she took notice of him! Got the approval based on his incredibly lovely family and his well-known reputation. Yes his family is well-off, and so is our family, but the mahr and shbaka and mo2akhar so on were not that much of an issue when everything was (mashaAllah) going so peacefully and based on mutual respect.
You can sit with her dad and explain to him what you have, and that you will be willing to offer her the best you can afford, and yes, everything in Egypt is negotiable, even this issue! And if they turn you down because you can't afford some bricks in Cairo where saraseer will have a blast while you're gone most of the year, then save yourself the trouble and let them cry over their lost saraseer.

Saraseer are cockroaches BTW. They are the most common domestic creatures in Egypt. But that's not important right now.

3- You have shyly asked about female circumcision. Statistics say that 97% of the Egyptian women are circumcised. I am an Egyptian woman who studied Medicine and do not know of any woman in my family who was, but did see many circumcised women while I was practicing medicine in Egypt. Circumcision comes with certain social classes and you have every right to know whether your future wife is circumcised or not and in what way this might have affected her psychology.

Unforunately [Big Grin] the same question applies to you! There is a misunderstanding that circumcision of males is an Islamic obligation, which is not. It is mandatory in Judaism and strongly recommended FOR MALES ONLY in Islam, but you won't go to hell if you kept some foreskin and kept it clean.

Once I was talking to a Dutch guy who was mortified by the idea of male circumcision. He called the practice barbaric and backwards. I said to him that it's done all around the world, not only in Islamic countries, either for medical or hygienic purposes, and I wondered what they do in Holland, and he said: "Oh we just shower!". Now his attitude of taking it so lightly might not be very well appreciated back in Egypt. You have to be ready for such a personal question from your partner, or even her dad, and I think they would appreciate a serious answer about your extra skin situation!

4- Be ready for racist behaviour in Egypt. Your wife will be insulted for marrying you. She will be called a prostitute and will be asked on which street corner of which resort you had picked her up. They will say oh she married a foreign because she was too old to marry an Egyptian, the poor thing! Yeah better than being alone for the rest of her life!

Maybe you will not be told this to your face, but you also need to know that some Egyptians would give you the best treatment and call you their "best friend" after having known you for 5 minutes, and once you turn your back they will stab you with the biggest virtual knife there is.

Egyptians have a long way to go before they learn to live and let live. Please beware of that.

5- Having been involved in giving you advice; you have the right to know about my background. But because this forum has some inferior souls and fetal alcohol syndrome victims, I would rather answer your further questions via PM.

Just want to add here that I'm married to the most wonderful foreign man who is truly God's gift to this world. I didn't realize/care that he was rich and did sign a prenuptial agreement based on Islamic law, which is very fair to him because he doesn't deserve to be ripped off half his money, like the Western law states, if God forbid a separation happens. I would get a decent alimony and a certain percentage from his income STARTING FROM THE DAY WE WERE MARRIED (since I sacrificed my career for the children), and exclusive anything he will inherit after God willing a very, very long time.

So CC, you can make it work, but you have to be ready for a lot of sacrifice and lots of homework PRIOR to getting involved. Speaking for myself, I left those who criticized my life choices to drown in their mental dysentery, while I'm having all the fun [Wink] , BUT it's all based on a long and educated decision making process.

One more thing CC, would you be kind to pick another avatar since yours gives me an epileptic fit?! [Big Grin] Thank you.

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hibbah
Member # 12156

great post MK!
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent MK!!! was waiting and hoping you would answer [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingTrucks
Member # 11270

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for FlyingTrucks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DEAR CULTURE CLASH ,
IVE READ YOUR POST WITH UNDERSTANDING YOUR SITUATION .I UNDERSTAND YOUR PERSONAL ISSUES OF THE RELIGIOUS AREAS ,AND TO CONVERT TO ISLAM THATS NOT MEAN YOU GOING TO DO EVERY LITTLE THING IT REQUIRES AS LONG YOU KEEP TRYING AND LEARN THE 5 PILLARS ,AND DO YOUR SHAHADA,.. BUT IF YOUR WILLING TO COMPLY TO BRING THE FUTURE CHILDREN IN ISLAM THATS A MUST AND YOUR SAYING YOU HAVE NO PROBLEM BUT AS FROM YOUR OWN SELF ON A PERSONAL ISSUE YOU SAY YU CANT FULL FIL IT YOURSELF .I UNDERSTAND THAT CAUSE A LOT OF BORN MUSLIMS HAVE THE SAME ISSUE .AND I THINK FUTURE WIFE HAVE THE SAME ISSUE IN THIS BY HER LIBERAL POINT OF VIEW .SO ASSUME THAT HER FAMILY ARE ARWARE FO YOU AND HAVE NOT THAT MUCH OF A ISSIUE
SO THE FINACIAL ISSUE IS NOTHING PERSOANL TO YOU THEY WOULD DO THE SAME TO A EGYPTAIN WHO CAME TO MARRY HER ,YES CAN SEE THE OTHER SIDE OF IT BEING YOU A WESTENER THEY ARE NOT SURE OF YOU AND UR IN A DIFFERENT COUNTRY AND YOU NEED TO REASURRE THEM THAT THERE DAUGHTER IS OK AND SHE HAS NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT ,THEY WILL NOT TAKE HER DOWRY THAT WILL COME BACK TO HER ANY WAY IF SOMETHING WAS TO HAPPEN ...BUT ABOUT THE FLAT IN EGYPT YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS AS INVESTMENT ..
IF THE FAMILY KNOW YOU AND KNOW HOW YOUR TRYING ITS OBVIOUS FRO HER WAY OF THINKING THYE AVERY LIBERAL FAMILY INSHALLAH ..IF NOT THEY WOULD NEVER AGREE LIKE THIS AND YOU WOULD HAVE NEVER POSTED HER...
ITS MY VIEW THEY WANT TO KNOW THAT HERE DAUGHTER IS GOING TO BE OK AND IF THERE WAS A PROBLEM SHE WOULD BE ACCOUNTED FOR AND LOOKED AFTER AND WILL NOT HAVE TROUBLE FOR HERSELF ..THEY ARE DOING WHAT ANY EGYPTIAN FAMILY WOULD DO WITH THERE CHILDREN ..
GOOD LUCK WITH YOU AND YOU NEED FURTHER ASSISTANCE PLEASE PM ME ..I.E ANY THING ON ISLAM AND BASICS NEEDS ...OR ANY RELATED HELP
MOST OF US HERE ARE NOT AGAINST ANY KIND OF HAPPIENESS BEIT YOU NOT OF FAITH OR ARE
I WISH YOU GOOD LUCK AND MANY MANY HAPPENESS
YOU SEEM TO HAVE A GOOD HEAD ON YOUR SHOULDER AND VERY GOOD MANNERS I CANNOT SEE ANY PROBLEM IF THIS WAS ACCEPTED ..
W/SALAAMS CHIMPS .

MK HAS SEEN TO HAVE GOT IT RIGHT AS WELL
GOOD LUCK ....

Posts: 4597 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hibbah:
great post MK!

quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:
Excellent MK!!! was waiting and hoping you would answer [Big Grin]

*taking a bow and throwing kisses*

Thank you ladies.

And thanks CC for the new avatar. Still causing some facial twitches but it's way better than the first. [Wink]

All the best.

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Graf_Genn
Member # 11802

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Graf_Genn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This kind of family will make your marriage into a living hell. You will never be muslim enough to satisfy her father, and she is letting him make the demands.
Please excuse me for being much more blunt than I typically would be, it is only that I have seen far too many happy relationships destroyed by parents such as the father you have described.

Posts: 345 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingTrucks
Member # 11270

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for FlyingTrucks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes but what is muslim enough no man is good enough for there daughter be it them religous or not or of any culture come to think of it ...
Posts: 4597 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LIFEisSHORT
Member # 12931

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for LIFEisSHORT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Thanks in advance.

first, you welcome in egypt search
and i agree chimps for what she said .

about your issue , i dont think there are anything make you feeling worry about her father , because he was so frank with you .
he agreed the marriage proposal ,and that is wonderful, because you wont find many egyptian fathers do the same even with arab( non egyptians ) or even egyptians who are living far from them. and believe me even you were egyptian he would ask you for the same ( financial issue ).
one of my friends ( egyptian ) faced the same.
her father asked for a dowry of 10k, an 'on divorce' settlement of 30k and a furnished flat in her city as insurance against divorce, because he live in another city far from her family . so this normal for egyptian marriage .
and in the end she will be your wife and all the dowry will be jewelry she wear and the flat will be the place you and her will stay when you visit egypt.
about your converting to islam:
first you revert for good to yourself, you just need to try to learn more about islam . and you dont need follow every tenet of the Islamic religion , because even most of born muslims dont do that . so no worry while you trying [Smile] , god will help you .
plus as i see , the girl dont looks that religious and her family too.

Posts: 137 | From: uk | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Graf_Genn
Member # 11802

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Graf_Genn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those are two different cases, in my opinion. One is being the typical father wanting the best for his daughter. The other is an insanely demanding and domineering religious type that those of us raised in the region are quite familiar with.
The latter type wishes to make you a "good muslim" and will never tire of telling you how "it is easier for one born into a different religion to enter heaven after converting (reverting) to Islam than it is for one born into Islam" and all the other tired propaganda. It doesn't do much to help a marriage.

Posts: 345 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LIFEisSHORT
Member # 12931

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for LIFEisSHORT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Graf_Genn:
Those are two different cases, in my opinion. One is being the typical father wanting the best for his daughter. The other is an insanely demanding and domineering religious type that those of us raised in the region are quite familiar with.
The latter type wishes to make you a "good muslim" and will never tire of telling you how "it is easier for one born into a different religion to enter heaven after converting (reverting) to Islam than it is for one born into Islam" and all the other tired propaganda. It doesn't do much to help a marriage.

THERE IS NO MUCHT DIFFERENCE , BECAUSE AS YOU KNOW SHE WONT BE ABLE TO GET MARRY TO HIM BEFORE HE REVERT TO ISLAM . AFTER HE BECOME A MUSLIM HE WILL BE THE SAME AS ANYONE PROPOSE TO MARRY HER .
AND AS I JUST TOLD BEFORE , IF THEY REALLY THAT RELIGIOUS , THEY WONT ASK FOR THAT AMOUNT OF DOWRY OR ON-DIVORCE SETTLEMENT 30K .
THEY JUST WANT STABILITY FOR THEIR DAUGHTER.
AND WE COULDNT BLAME THEM FOR THAT .

Posts: 137 | From: uk | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
can most egyptian men give a dowry of £10,000 and £30,000 if marriage goes wrong! seems away too much.because the man's english the price goes up
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Graf_Genn
Member # 11802

Rate Member
quote:
her father asked for a dowry of 10k, an 'on divorce' settlement of 30k and a furnished flat in her city as insurance against divorce, because he live in another city far from her family . so this normal for egyptian marriage .
and in the end she will be your wife and all the dowry will be jewelry she wear and the flat will be the place you and her will stay when you visit egypt.

Is this money expected in Egyptian or Sterling? I took it to be Sterling because cultureclash said he doesn't have it in the bank, and 50K Egyptian isn't that much to have in the bank or quickly save. If it is indeed Sterling, this is not a normal amount to ask for. 50K Sterling is more than a half-million Egyptian, plus the flat and furnishing according to this standard would probably be another half-million. Families these days have been asking outrageous conditions [Frown]
Anyway, cultureclash has already stated that he cannot meet the financial demands of the father, and in my opinion the religious demands will be impossible to meet also since this type of family is generally impossible to deal with [Razz]

Graf_Genn
Member # 11802

Rate Member
quote:
AFTER HE BECOME A MUSLIM HE WILL BE THE SAME AS ANYONE PROPOSE TO MARRY HER .
AND AS I JUST TOLD BEFORE , IF THEY REALLY THAT RELIGIOUS , THEY WONT ASK FOR THAT AMOUNT OF DOWRY OR ON-DIVORCE SETTLEMENT 30K .

Sorry, but these are some very naive assumptions.
LIFEisSHORT
Member # 12931

Rate Member
I MEANT EGYPTIAN MONEY .
AND AS YOU KNOW ITS MUCH FOR AN EGYPTIAN

--------------------
its not long before you go

LIFEisSHORT
Member # 12931

Rate Member
these arent naive assumptions . this is the way they thinking .

--------------------
its not long before you go

Hibbah
Member # 12156

quote:
quote:

Is this money expected in Egyptian or Sterling? I took it to be Sterling because cultureclash said he doesn't have it in the bank, and 50K Egyptian isn't that much to have in the bank or quickly save. If it is indeed Sterling, this is not a normal amount to ask for. 50K Sterling is more than a half-million Egyptian, plus the flat and furnishing according to this standard would probably be another half-million. Families these days have been asking outrageous conditions [Frown]
Anyway, cultureclash has already stated that he cannot meet the financial demands of the father, and in my opinion the religious demands will be impossible to meet also since this type of family is generally impossible to deal with [Razz]

Should her dad be concerned about all of those financial stipulations if shes going to live in the UK? I mean, if he already has a house- she would obviously live in it. I understand that the whole furnished apartment idea is for the couple to live in together, right?
Graf_Genn
Member # 11802

Rate Member
quote:
I could have got it wrong, but the "insurance against divorce" line has me thinking the flat is hers along with the £30k in the case the marriage doesn't last.
Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shebah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
and 50K Egyptian isn't that much to have in the bank or quickly save.
That's $8771.93. That's a lot for me. [Frown]

Just curious, is the exchange rate still
$1.00 : 5.7 LE ?

Shukran [Smile]

Posts: 2133 | From: Redneckland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Graf_Genn
Member # 11802

Rate Member
Just about [Smile]
Today has the rate at 1 USD : 5.62 EGP.

I didn't mean to say that 50K EGP is a small amount of money. It is nearly impossible for the usual Egyptians to come up with that much, but for a single man, "well educated with a good job living in England" it should be very possible within a few months.

cultureclash
Member # 13036

Rate Member
For the avoidance of doubt, I am talking about UK Pounds Sterling for all amounts here.

I would just like to say thanks to everyone for their comments and advice, particularly for the very thoughtful and detailed replies that some have provided.

I will probably PM some people about more specific details - thanks for the offers.

Best wishes, CC.

Graf_Genn
Member # 11802

Rate Member
So her father is asking about one million EGP, and she is letting him get away with asking that [Frown]
This is absolutely outrageous. He asks you to convert to Islam but he is basically behaving like a criminal...

seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Thanks in advance.

I would advise not to do it based merely on the conversion issue.
I am an american woman married to an egyptian man (converted to Islam before meeting my husband) and even that doesn't make things EASY per se, but it isn't necessarily impossible.
I do think asking that much in EGP is a lot, and doubt whether the father would ask that much from an Egyptian man (what does that tell you?). However, to be fair many egyptian men find they don't have to pay AS MUCH to foreign women mostly because it doesn't matter to us and/or we're financially independent, etc. so in all fairness, if you're willing, it's your business [Wink]
With that being said, I think MK has made EXCELLENT points, especially with her perspective as an egyptian woman married to a foreign man. I would really listen to her a lot and think it's very noble of you for asking advice on these issues.
Remember, even if you aren't very religious now (or she), you might change as you age and you could really regret converting just to marry someone. You may not, but that is always a possibility.

The future children are the biggest concern and while I'm assuming you will be living in your native country, you might think about your future relationship with in-laws that clearly see you as a man with money (the bride as well).
but, we could all be totally wrong and they could be great people, they do exist in Egypt and you could trip on a family very warm and sincere like many of us have, I'm sure the girl is lovely and worth all of the homework you're doing. [Smile] best of luck in your future either way you decide to proceed.

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
So her father is asking about one million EGP, and she is letting him get away with asking that [Frown]

Holy God of the Sultan of Brunei and Bill Gates and Mohamed El-Fayed and Prince Talal and all the other Holy Saints. [Eek!]

CC, he either is after your money, or is making this marriage impossible in his own way.

DO NOT COMPLY with this blackmail, buddy!!

seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I spoke to my husband about this and asked his opinion, he is so cute, he reluctantly said, 'well, just my opinion, it sounds like he wants money, he knows if his daughter marries this man and she divorces people will look down on her after divorce, so he asks a lot of money so she will be taken care of in case of divorce, but this much money, I don't think they are good people'.
Just one man's view...

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too, asked my husband for his opinion on your situation CC. His comment was, "This is not a successful business deal".

What he means is that the family is looking at this as only a business venture, not a marriage.

There are many wealthy people in my husband's family, but the last thing they would ask for or consider, in a marriage for their daughters, is money.

One case for example, that I know of. The day of the marriage, the Sheik asked about the mahr, and divorce settlement.

Both fathers looked at him rather embarrassed. Why, because the money had never been discussed, it was of no importance to either of them.

Another case, when the mother was asked what amount of money she wanted for her daughter, she replied, I am giving you my daughter, do you think I would put money on the same level as her?

Maybe my husbands family is unique, but money is the last thing ever discussed, if at all, with regards to the marriage of their sons and daughters.

In conclusion, a caring father will look for a man who is suitable to settle down with his daughter and will care for her and love her.

He will look for the character of the man and family, not his bank account.

Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
QueenMojo
Member # 12306

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for QueenMojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi CC

I dont see the point of a flat in Cairo if you are going to live in GB. This is definitely negotiable if the family has good intentions. If you own your house there you can propose it. I have an Egyptian friend living in the US who married an Egyptian girl and offered his house there as a dowry and it was accepted by the family.
If you convert to islam that should be enough for them. Its not their business if you fast during ramadan , go to the mosque or have a beer. Dont let them enter this part of your life. But the issue should be serioulsy disussed with your wife. If she expect you to practice islam and you don't your marriage will face difficulties. She will certainly be unhappy. And when the children come this will be a nightmare, especially because the family will try to involve in your marriage then.

I agree with all the posts talking about commitments from BOTH sides. Your future wife has to realise this too. It true for every marriage but its even more true when different culture, religion, nationality are at stake.
What if you receive people and want to serve alcohol? What if your parents or family wants to celebrate Christmas with your kids? What about male circumcision (the females' has nothing to do with islam, copts do it too)? What about your kids when they will be teenagers?

You have to discuss this seriously together. If you really love eachother, commonsense and respect should be enough to solve all this questions. But keep the family away...

Hope this was useful. Keep us posted.

Posts: 37 | From: cairo | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com