EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Giving birth in egypt (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Giving birth in egypt
@nna
Member # 10972

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for @nna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm wondering if i should have my baby in my home country or in egypt..has any foreigner had ur baby in egypt? I mean is there a difference between europian and egyptian hospitals? Do i have to go to a private hospital or governments hosp.? How much i have to pay? and if something goes wrong, what's the survival % for the babies..and so on..If anyone has any information for me, i'd be thankful.
Posts: 44 | From: scandinavia | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
depends on which part of Egypt you live, and which country is your 'home country'...
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
@nna
Member # 10972

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for @nna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sorry...I mean Cairo, and i'm from north of europe..
Posts: 44 | From: scandinavia | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know, Im american, giving birth in egypt in two months, so I'll let you know once my experience is over if I survive...also I'm not delivering in any place as fancy as Cairo, I'll be in a small city, not quite a village, but it isn't necessarily cedar sinai either.....
how far along are you?

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
@nna
Member # 10972

Rate Member
Really wish Good luck for u!!! I still have time to think until july (i'm allowed to fly until july) where to be, my date is in september..so i'm looking forward to hear ur experience. For me the thing why i'm still thinking is mostly the language. If something goes wrong, and even if they can speak good english, still english isn't my mother tongue..i don't know, it's too hard to deside.
lombardo47
Member # 12428

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lombardo47     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dint worry anna, we have very good hospitals in Egypt cant u c egypt is 80 million [Smile]

But of course go 2 private hospital .Bec most of doctors in private hospitals they go 2 europe or usa for PHD ,so there is no difference.

good luck and congratulations [Smile]

Posts: 224 | From: egypt/cairo | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

quote:
Originally posted by @nna:
Really wish Good luck for u!!! I still have time to think until july (i'm allowed to fly until july) where to be, my date is in september..so i'm looking forward to hear ur experience. For me the thing why i'm still thinking is mostly the language. If something goes wrong, and even if they can speak good english, still english isn't my mother tongue..i don't know, it's too hard to deside.

the communication shouldn't be a problem...I wouldn't worry about it. what language do you speak native?
malak
Member # 3654

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for malak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had my baby in Cairo. No problems. I was with a Dr Saad Henin, at the Hayat Medical Center in Heliopolis Cairo. I was under this doctor throughout my pregnancy. Was checked monthly and had 2 scans as per a normal english hospital. I had a normal birth, no drugs (I am a saint!) and was in hospital for 1 night and home the next day. As I had a boy, he was circumsied the day I left hospital by the same doctor.
I was then assigned a lovely childrens doctor, who then I visited after 7 days for check up. The cost was around 700 sterling pounds. At todays exchange rate that 7000 egp.And that was for a total of 10 months treatment. I beleive that there are other doctors who are just as good at other hospitals that may be cheaper, its who you feel comfortable with.
Also generally you give birth and go home, family is then there to look after you. You can also get your babys injections etc done at the childrens hospitals such as the Tabarak (I think thats the name) good doctors there.

If you need any more info.. let me know. Goverment vs private hospitals, it all depends who your comfortable with. Go visit a few.

Posts: 288 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lombardo47:
we have very good hospitals in Egypt

Lombardo, name 5 please.
Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
malak
Member # 3654

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for malak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had my baby in Cairo. No problems. I was with a Dr Saad Henin, at the Hayat Medical Center in Heliopolis Cairo. I was under this doctor throughout my pregnancy. Was checked monthly and had 2 scans as per a normal english hospital. I had a normal birth, no drugs (I am a saint!) and was in hospital for 1 night and home the next day. As I had a boy, he was circumsied the day I left hospital by the same doctor.
I was then assigned a lovely childrens doctor, who then I visited after 7 days for check up. The cost was around 700 sterling pounds. At todays exchange rate that 7000 egp.And that was for a total of 10 months treatment. I beleive that there are other doctors who are just as good at other hospitals that may be cheaper, its who you feel comfortable with.
Also generally you give birth and go home, family is then there to look after you. You can also get your babys injections etc done at the childrens hospitals such as the Tabarak (I think thats the name) good doctors there.

If you need any more info.. let me know. Goverment vs private hospitals, it all depends who your comfortable with. Go visit a few.

Posts: 288 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank god for medical insurances!!!

Anna, if you have a better feeling of delivering back home then go for it.

I did it, I left Egypt seven months pregnant. [Smile]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

I really would imagine you wouldn't have that much trouble delivering in Cairo, although I'm not sure how widespread pain killers are, like epidurals...I know I will be giving birth the natural way (no drugs...god help me)...and while I'm not excited about it, women have done it for centuries and it is natural...
I think the care you receive would never be that you might receive in your own country (dependant upon which one it is), but either way, you might also like to be with your husband here (which is why I'm staying) when you do give birth. The baby should be able to have dual citizenship so that's no problem, but as far as medical care is concerned, just ask a lot of questions, be nosey....take your time. I drive my doctor crazy and I think he knows to be inundated with questions whenever I go for my monthly checkups, and he grants me some flexibility because I am foreign.
either way, I have found that PERSONALLY what I was most afraid of was being away from familiar surroundings during such an important part of my life, not having my mommy there (yes I still call her mommy), not having my naive medical staff, etc., but you have to make your own conclusions and come to the decision that is best for you, aside from others' experiences.
I do plan to post here to let other women know of my own personal experiences giving birth in egypt (and not in a big city), it might be helpful to those in the future.... [Wink]

lombardo47
Member # 12428

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lombardo47     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Laura-
Masr el dawly, safaa hospital,el salam hospital,ismael hosny hospital where i got birth ,and the best one now called dar el foad in 6th of october.and still more but canr remember .

Posts: 224 | From: egypt/cairo | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Smuck,

Several of my coworkers did what's called a *hypnobirth.* It's using breathing and self-hypnosis techniques to avoid/cut down on the pain. I don't know much about it myself, but they swear by it. Perhaps it's something you could look into online.

http://www.pregnancy.org/article.php?sid=1520

http://www.hypnobabies.com/

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

thanks lefty I'll check it out...also if anyone is able to ship me morphine I wouldn't decline [Wink] [Razz]
Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shebah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have thought about this situation before. My thoughts always returned to going back to states to have baby, if at all possible.

Isn't it something how we he get so comfortable at home?

--------------------
شكرا و أللام عليكم
شيبى

Posts: 2133 | From: Redneckland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

yea, and if that was possible and I could have my husband with me I would probably opt for it, but I rather to take the pain and have him next to me, he's my touchstone (yes gag, everyone throw up now...it's true). [Razz]
doodlebug
Member # 11649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doodlebug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Bec most of doctors in private hospitals they go 2 europe or usa for PHD ,so there is no difference.

[Eek!] [Eek!]

I would hope they also got their MD in addition to that PhD. Otherwise I wouldn't chance it!

Posts: 1808 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seriously I wouldn't be so concerned about the doctor. Egypt has many highly educated medical professionals (and it's true they all mostly studying abroad) but I am scared indeed of

- how much training the staff at the hospitals gets (how much is the individual qualified);

- how the hospitals are managed/organized;

- do the hospitals provide a clean and safe environment;

- after all are the hospitals patient-friendly.

Smuckers, believe me your doctor will be honored to deliver your baby and he will definitely want to have her picture in his office later on. He will make sure you and your baby will be provided with best care. It's not happening everyday that an American woman gives birth in his hospital there. [Wink]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yorkshire rose
Member # 12072

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yorkshire rose   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a question girls. is you husband not allowed to be at the birth with you?
this for both muslm and copt husbands

--------------------
Alison Faragalla

Posts: 4149 | From: Egypt | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:
Smuckers, believe me your doctor will be honored to deliver your baby and he will definitely want to have her picture in his office later on. He will make sure you and your baby will be provided with best care. It's not happening everyday that an American woman gives birth in his hospital there. [Wink]

!
Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
i got birth

!!
Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why would the doctor be honored? Is she giving birth to Jesus Christ? What's so friggin honorable about being American as opposed to any other nationality?

quote:

Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Mother War:
Why would the doctor be honored? Is she giving birth to Jesus Christ? What's so friggin honorable about being American as opposed to any other nationality?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Thank you, MW! [Big Grin]

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Mother War:

quote:

Because it's a 'status' thing in Egypt. It's like driving a Mercedes from Germany. I assume he delivers only babies from Egyptian mothers in Shebin so I guess yeah this delivery will be very special to him.
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by MK the Most Interlectual:

What about you dropping it in Shebin-el-Kom? Come on forward and back to your roots Egyptian woman - MOWAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA!!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Ah yeah right, you are not intelectual enough..... sniff sniff. [Roll Eyes]

MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
Because it's a 'status' thing in Egypt. It's like driving a Mercedes from Germany. I assume he delivers only babies from Egyptian mothers in Shebin so I guess yeah this delivery will be very special to him.

Oh please add this part to your book about Egypt.

Tiger, don't you worry at all about getting older. You will always sound like a 5 year old.

ROFL!

MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by MK the Most Interlectual:

What about you dropping it in Shebin-el-Kom? Come on forward and back to your roots Egyptian woman - MOWAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA!!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Ah yeah right, you are not intelectual enough..... sniff sniff. [Roll Eyes]

And you are " intelectual " enough?!

A 100 Euros for anyone who can decipher that post for me!

Your roots are not any better than those of any Shebino, Mousy.

No matter how hard you try to hide it Tiger, you are one big small racist grey mouse. [Wink]

Demiana
Member # 2710

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Demiana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Going to any hospital, even a western hospital always has risks. I wouldn't unless there was no other option left. Coming from a nurse: I am scared of hospitals and all that may go wrong.
It is always a miracle to me that some of us do survive hospitals!:-)
And I have been treated well medically in Egypt, sometimes even better then at home. When I described what the Egyptian dentist did to me to my own dentist over here, he was amazed since it was state of the art medicine, where I was thinking about all the old rusty crap that was laying around, the guy worked at me with laser and high tech.
I consider it a miracle that nothing went essentially wrong when I had my second delivery at the hospital over here. If it was me I would have done it at home anyway and take the risk.
I have an allergic condition and everytime we managed to have problems getting our diet right when in hospitals, either me or kids.
But when you need to go, you just give in and wait till it is over.

Posts: 1419 | From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Ha ha, MK, I lay the bait and you are following over and over for it again. If not your brain - at least your eyes you can still trust...... [Big Grin]

And please do you unborn child a favor and don't take any weird trial drugs right now and eat regularly so at least his/her brain develops normally. You can always get your fight weight back with the Danish crash diet.... [Razz]

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Well, Demiana, I made 11 years ago a horrorful experience in an upper Heliopolis hospital when a family member of my ex was neglected and mistreated there in the emergency room. The careless handling of the patient in critical condition started already when they brought him to the ambulance car. They almost dropped him I am not joking. During the ride to the other hospital they only started him buckling up when we demanded it. And the windows got closed after we told them to do so, how quickly can a simple cold kill an elderly fragile man?!

And people in the emergency room did nothing incl. the doc on duty until the old man's lips turned blue.

But hell my ex was good enough for making a deposit at the cash register!

I also went couple of times to government hospital where everything looked very poor and in old condition, even dirty. My friend's baby was born there, they couldn't afford better. Very sad to see.

MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
Ha ha, MK, I lay the bait and you are following over and over for it again. If not your brain - at least your eyes you can still trust...... [Big Grin]

The harder you try, the more deciphering necessary, Mousy.

Ya lahwi.

quote:
horrorful

[Big Grin]

quote:
And please do you unborn child a favor and don't take any weird trial drugs right now and eat regularly so at least his/her brain develops normally. You can always get your fight weight back with the Danish crash diet.... [Razz]
I guarantee you I know better than feeding my kids soup and yogurt for dinner, Mousy.

And try to get over your obsession with my figure, Mousy. [Wink]

Off for my beauty sleep. When I wake up, I expect you to still be here, Mousy.

Goodnight all.

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Yeah, you need to sleep much more because you really don't have it. Keep your illusions..... nighty night!
Cosmogirl
Member # 8748

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cosmogirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Once a woman is pregnant, she is committed by physiology to go into labor. Once she begins labor, she is obligated by physiology to eventually give birth. However, all physiological processes naturally and normally can involve a difficult process or have a poor outcome. Urinating is a natural physiological process, having a urinary infections or even a kidney infection is also natural … and not as infrequent as one would hope. Being hungry is a natural and normal physiological process, vomiting is as well. Eating tainted foods occurs much more frequently then you know.

Pregnant women in traditional cultures will be surrounded by many people who have known them throughout their life. Their traditional health systems will be full of proscribed behaviours ranging from massage, diet, prohibitions and requirements. Traditional health systems all try to prevent potential problems. Although modern women are told that traditional women birthed in rice paddies, that is no different than a modern woman birthing in a taxi or elevator. Those births are unplanned and unexpected in any culture. In fact, many traditional women are secluded after birth for weeks. This is done to prevent problems and safe guard the health of both the mother and baby.

Although there is a modern trend believe women in labor are best left alone, traditional women will be surrounded by people who do everything to help her prevent any child birth problems or complications. Every effort will be made in traditional communities to prevent birth complications by the birth preparation unique to that culture.

I wouldn't worry so much about the hospital or the doctor, once it's time.. that baby is going to show up with or without "Western Medicine". I say go off in the woods and squat behind a big tree, it's what I'm threatening to do.

Did somebody mention danishes?

Posts: 1071 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
Yeah, you need to sleep much more because you really don't have it. Keep your illusions..... nighty night!

Maybe you should try sleeping so you would gain it back? Whatever that was what you've lost?! [Confused] You have a bad case of insomnia and don't think I didn't notice that Mousy.

Is anyone else thinking this is the dumbest conversation ever or am I alone on this planet?

Look Mousy, when I have a fight, I want a *fight*.

Go fly a kite Mousy.

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Oh, you still on here?! You didn't find your light switch? Wait..... I turn it off for you. Shushhhh, sleep now!!!
antihypocrisy
Member # 11915

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for antihypocrisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
she give them 'pop corn" only for dinner
Posts: 2728 | From: جمهورية مصر العربية | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted      Profile for SayWhatYouSee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Too funny, Batman versus ' The Dangerous Mousewife' [Big Grin] [Razz] How will this end? [Eek!]
Posts: 2953 | From: Slightly south of Azkaban. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SayWhatYouSee:
Too funny, Batman versus ' The Dangerous Mousewife' [Big Grin] [Razz] How will this end? [Eek!]

ROFL!! [Big Grin]
Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demiana
Member # 2710

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Demiana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Well, Demiana, I made 11 years ago a horrorful experience in an upper Heliopolis hospital when a family member of my ex was neglected and mistreated there in the emergency room. The careless handling of the patient in critical condition started already when they brought him to the ambulance car. They almost dropped him I am not joking. During the ride to the other hospital they only started him buckling up when we demanded it. And the windows got closed after we told them to do so, how quickly can a simple cold kill an elderly fragile man?!

And people in the emergency room did nothing incl. the doc on duty until the old man's lips turned blue.

But hell my ex was good enough for making a deposit at the cash register!

I also went couple of times to government hospital where everything looked very poor and in old condition, even dirty. My friend's baby was born there, they couldn't afford better. Very sad to see.

Tigerlily, I am sure poverty and ignorance, dirty hospitals, sloppy personal, can do a lot of harm.
I bet the figures in third world countries speak for themselves, but I am also sure that with all the technology involved and used, professionals needing to cooperate and can't, patients distrusted and crushed in routines, it will depend on the people you meet and their professional and creative interest and as I see it, with the help of family and friends, and may God help us, we may have a good chance.

And no, I sure would not want to be left alone when giving birth. The more the merrier, only the best people to attend your delivery.
I like the idea of the Doula, a caretaker that is in charge of all of the situation in the best interest of you and baby, carefully adressing everyone around you. In fact I had some marvellous women around when I was due, at home and in the hospital. I guess I was lucky. that and healthy pregnancies and uncomplicated deliveries.
They gave me the necessary assurance and energy to be able to almost singlehandedly deliver my babies and be well afterwoulds. One even counted manually for me when the machine failed and staff would not believe me. She could convince them and all went well. She could even take care of dh who was rather helpless in hospital where he had been the main provider of care at home the first time.
At home this role was performed by the midwife. She made us very happy by assisting us giving birth together as a couple with friends attending to us and baby.

I bet money can do a lot in Egypt, but people, be it professionals, family or friends, are a very important ingredient.

Posts: 1419 | From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmogirl:
Once a woman is pregnant, she is committed by physiology to go into labor. Once she begins labor, she is obligated by physiology to eventually give birth. However, all physiological processes naturally and normally can involve a difficult process or have a poor outcome. Urinating is a natural physiological process, having a urinary infections or even a kidney infection is also natural … and not as infrequent as one would hope. Being hungry is a natural and normal physiological process, vomiting is as well. Eating tainted foods occurs much more frequently then you know.

Pregnant women in traditional cultures will be surrounded by many people who have known them throughout their life. Their traditional health systems will be full of proscribed behaviours ranging from massage, diet, prohibitions and requirements. Traditional health systems all try to prevent potential problems. Although modern women are told that traditional women birthed in rice paddies, that is no different than a modern woman birthing in a taxi or elevator. Those births are unplanned and unexpected in any culture. In fact, many traditional women are secluded after birth for weeks. This is done to prevent problems and safe guard the health of both the mother and baby.

Although there is a modern trend believe women in labor are best left alone, traditional women will be surrounded by people who do everything to help her prevent any child birth problems or complications. Every effort will be made in traditional communities to prevent birth complications by the birth preparation unique to that culture.

I wouldn't worry so much about the hospital or the doctor, once it's time.. that baby is going to show up with or without "Western Medicine". I say go off in the woods and squat behind a big tree, it's what I'm threatening to do.

Did somebody mention danishes?

that's generally my way of thinking at this point.
I had a great grandmother who had 20 kids, all naturally (no drugs) and all on her own in her bedroom. One died, the rest were great (including my recently departed dear grandmother herself).
they said when the time came, she made everyone be quiet, they heard nothing from her in the bedroom until they heard the baby crying.
Now those were REAL women back then....maybe we've gotten soft?
[Big Grin] I say that because I have no choice...and people stop talking about horror medical stories, you're scaring me! [Mad]

LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't imagine having had my son without an epidural. I was in so much pain. But since they had to induce labor, maybe that's why. I heard that the inducing drug makes labor harder. And they gave me two doses of it.
If my honey and I have a child insha'allah, I have no problems getting an epidural. Why make yourself go through the pain when it isn't necessary???
And I won't give birth anyplace where they won't allow him in the room.
As to where we'll have a child if we're blessed with one, I'd rather have it here in the states but only Allah knows what will happen for sure!
[Smile]

Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shebah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes Pitocin does make labor pains far more intense. UGH!!!!!!

I would be afraid of having an epidural in Egypt. I was a little nervous here. Not of the drugs, but by the fact of a needle being next to my spine. [Frown] I had problems with mine, both times. (1st time was general) Those were done in the Houston Medical Center by very experienced anesthesiologist. They do thousands, and still things went wrong. [Frown]

Smucks if you need the drugs go for it. But do your homework on what they offer, who does it, how many times? All that kind of stuff. Decide ahead of time, what you are willing to accept.

But if you start now, learning, practing, and just mentally preparing, then that will help you so much. True, a lot of us just forget it all when we're in labor. You never know until you're in that position, what you will or how you will react. All people, labors, circumstanstances are unique. But you can be a lot more prepared than most women, if you put your mind to it.

Personally, I think you could learn, practice, and all that and do just fine. So think it......believe.......trust in God that it will go well...and.....voiala. That's half the battle right?

We're rooting for you. [Smile]

--------------------
شكرا و أللام عليكم
شيبى

Posts: 2133 | From: Redneckland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doodlebug
Member # 11649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doodlebug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The doctor that gave me my epidural for my first child here in the US gave me a spinal headache by stabbing the wrong spot in my spine. I still have problems today because of it.

My husband's mom gave birth in her kitchen to each child she had. You'll be fine insha Allah. [Smile]

Posts: 1808 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess it goes to show that everyone is different!!
I'm certainly not against natural birth (for others).
[Razz]

Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aya Hosni
Member # 10646

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aya Hosni     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have rather bad experience with Egy gyn doctors. I got pregnant there, but i had some kind of problems and i wonder how easy doctor prescribed me medicine without any blood check or anything. And she is a good doctor (6th October). My situation was not so good and medicine didnt help and alhamdulillah i returned homeeeeeeeeee... Full blood check, full scanning, finding out the real reason of my problems. And all is ok now alhamdullilah!!!!
Maybe its just this doctor- my unlucky experience. But i wouldnt never trust her in giving birth of my baby. I have impression that doctors there dont go deep in each exact situation. Just common way for all. IMHO

Posts: 188 | From: Baltics | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

I have also noticed the men are kept out of the birthing rooms here, I made our doctor promise to let my husband be there, don't leave me alone!! [Eek!]
Lol....but seriously I'm not THAT worried about the birth, I've been more afraid of finding out what I owed on my taxes... [Roll Eyes]

Aya Hosni
Member # 10646

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aya Hosni     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:
I have also noticed the men are kept out of the birthing rooms here, I made our doctor promise to let my husband be there, don't leave me alone!! [Eek!]
Lol....but seriously I'm not THAT worried about the birth, I've been more afraid of finding out what I owed on my taxes... [Roll Eyes]

But at the doctors visit there must be husband with me for sure. Giving birth is different?
Posts: 188 | From: Baltics | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

sometimes, depending on where you are, in this small city it seems the norm is to not have the husband with the woman, but that might be the way the women do it....in cairo probably much different [Wink]
Just ask lots of questions.

Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From some of the remarks here I gather epidurals are a very common procedure in the States. Is it something doctors routinely do? Do women demand it? What's the percentage of people getting it?

To me it sounds a bit unusual because of the countless people I know who gave birth in Germany none had an epidural and very few even considered it prior to giving birth.

Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com