EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Marriage Ceremony

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Marriage Ceremony
ana uhibbuk
Member # 11817

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ana uhibbuk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a question and hope someone can help me to understand.

Me and my husband were married in a civil ceremony here in NY (USA) two years ago. I am American, he is Egyptian. He is the best husband a woman could ask for. He has now told me he would like to marry me at the Mosque. What exactly would that mean if anything. Also what would a marriage at the Mosque entail?

Posts: 50 | From: New York City, USA | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi ana uhibbuk!

My guess is that he is feeling that the civil marriage ceremony you performed didn't meet the criteria to make it an acceptable marriage Islamically , i.e. it wasn't performed in the way to make you his lawful wife Islamically, and he now wants to protect you both within the religion.

There is no set service for marriage in a mosque, it would depend on the imam and also what you and/or your husband agreed with him. However, it would have to contain certain elements though:

1. The groom and a "wali" (a representative who you authorise to act on your behalf in the ceremony, as in Islam a woman does not "give herself away" - it's a bit like the father of the bride giving her away in the Christian tradition). In fact the bride doesn't have to be present, but she can be.

2. An offer an an acceptance, i.e. it is making a marriage contract offering you as a bride and the groom accepting.

3. Two witnesses. These should be upstanding Muslim men.

4. The mahr (dowry, i.e. a gift to the bride) is usually announced.

Some schools of thought do have some other elements that they say are essential, and one does, under certain conditions, not insist on having a wali. But these are agreed by the majority as essential elements to perform an Islamic marriage.

The way the ceremony is carried out can be up to you. I saw many different types in the States, some very simple ones carried out in the imam's office and other more grand affairs in the mosque with lots of speeches and people reciting the Qur'an.

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana uhibbuk
Member # 11817

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ana uhibbuk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you so much for your response. It is very helpful.
Posts: 50 | From: New York City, USA | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nelle
Member # 11016

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for nelle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A friend of mine got married in a mosque in Indianapolis, IN a few weeks ago. She is Christian and her husband is Muslim. She told me that the imam spoke to her and him to explain the roles and responsibilities of the husband and wife. She told me that she was very happy and comfortable with the ceremony. I think having a Muslim ceremony is a good thing especially to make your husband feel more comfortable.
Posts: 46 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com