EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Visitor's Visa to UK - advice please!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Visitor's Visa to UK - advice please!!
CatTheCat
Member # 13508

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CatTheCat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi

I met an Egyptian guy last March and over the last year I have visited him five times. We speak every day on the internet etc and we're at the stage where we need to decide if we have any chance of a future together.

We're hoping that he can come and stay in the UK with me for a vacation for three weeks in August and we're in the process of preparing the paperwork. He's got a reasonably well paid job and evidence of his earnings and he's also paying for his own travel costs etc. He has savings and can prove this when he visits the embassy.

I have written a sponsorship letter confirming that he will stay with me and providing my financial details etc and confrmation of employment. I have also explained in the letter that we want him to meet my family and friends etc and see how we get on over here rather than in the situation where I am on vacation in Egypt.

Can anyone offer any advice on what else we should be thinking about? I am like a dog with a bone on this one and I refuse to be beaten!!! [Smile]

Posts: 69 | From: Warwickshire - UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i am not sure about the laws in theuk but here in the usa i have to proof i can support him till he gets a job.they didnt ask for his money or how much he has its all about how much i make they wanted 3 years worth of tax returns( affidavit of support). look into the embassy in uk 's page and they can clearly tell you how to do this. good luck cat [Smile] ot you can go to the embassy in cairo and find out their rules
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CatTheCat
Member # 13508

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CatTheCat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He's only coming over for 3 weeks this time so won't need to work - his employer has given him a letter saying they are giving him a month's leave. Fingers crossed!!
Posts: 69 | From: Warwickshire - UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soozi
Member # 11108

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for soozi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mok-mok, she was asking about a visitors' visa, so he wouldn't be allowed to work at all.

Cat, as Mok-mok said, the UK embassy website has all you need to know, but from reading others' experiences on this, it appears that the most important thing is to prove he has excellent reason to return to Egypt, therefore won't dissappear in the UK! Also, it is hard to come across this type of visa for that very reason.

Best of Luck!

Posts: 836 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CatTheCat
Member # 13508

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for CatTheCat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like we're going to need it!!

Have done loads of research so hope to have it all covered - think his main reason for going back will be is that he's not even that bothered about coming to the UK, it's just that I can't keep trekking over there - they already know me at passport control!! It's taken me this long to persuade him to at least see what it's like here - he's a very happy Egyptian in his own country! [Smile]

seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CatTheCat:
It's taken me this long to persuade him to at least see what it's like here - he's a very happy Egyptian in his own country! [Smile]

An Egyptian man that needs to be 'persuaded' to visit outside of Egypt, that's a first. [Razz] I think the only one really happy in his own country is Mubarak. [Razz]
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CatTheCat
Member # 13508

Rate Member
I know - he's probably having me on! [Confused] Think he's realised I won't be moving out there any time soon though cos of committments here...
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I described my successful experience here http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=001527

I think you are going to have a bit of a problem because on one hand he has a good job but that is balanced by him having a relationship with you. So the visa officer is going to have to judge whether he is likely to come back on 2 contradictory bits of evidence.

Apart from the job what else can you show that will convince them he will come back to Egypt. does he own any land or property. Does he have family to support (eldest or only son elderly parents).

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do they see an egyptian owning his own business? I would think this was favourable.
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If they can see evidence of the business and money from the business yes I agree it is a good plus point. But we had loads of other plus points in order to get our visa.

Having one reason to return (job) and one reason to stay in the UK(relationship with UK woman) is not not good odds

--------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would appreciate any advice. My other half would like to visit for maybe 2 weeks next summer.
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CatTheCat
Member # 13508

Rate Member
Thanks Akshar - I'm more worried than ever now!

I am lucky that I have had a well paid job, so hopefully that part isn't a problem. I have managed to find some of my mobile phone bills for the last year and have highlighted my text meassages to him. We speak every night using Yahoo Messenger - is there any way of proving that?

He is the eldest son and he's got a share in two businesses in his hometown. He owns some land as well, although possibly with his father. I'm getting him to get that together.

Should I set out out in the letter what we intend to do when he's here? Also, he has an Egyptian friend here who is married, should we mention that he will see him while he's here?

This is all so stressful and frustrating!! [Frown]

akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
They are not looking so much for evidence that your relationship is a true one, that would be for the settlement visa. For the visitors visa it is enough that you are providing support. Definately get evidence of the businesses and the land registery.

Also have a good read fo the website and guide to sponsers.

I do think it is a good idea to have plans for his visit but make sure he knows what they are because in my husbands case she took the letter I had writen away and then asked him questions from it to make sure he was saying the same thing as me.

I am not sure I would mention the Egyptian friend (they might think it is someone that would help him stay illegally). But certainly plans to visit your family, maybe if there is a plan to have a family party at the same time a birthday or a wedding whihc he has specifically been invited to. Likewise if there is a wedding in his family coming up maybe mention that he has to be back by that date.

But please make sure all this is the truth, they can spot a lie at a hundred paces.

I agree it is stressful btw I will send you a pm of the letter I wrote for his application.

--------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

CatTheCat
Member # 13508

Rate Member
Really appreciate your advice Akshar and reading your letter has helped. Looks like I will be going out in a couple of weeks now to sort out some problems on an apartment I'm supposed to be buying, so we can talk through our plans etc. He's very nervous about the interview but I've told him that as long as he's honest there won't be a problem!
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Good luck

--------------------

sawny
Member # 11224

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sawny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The are very tough to obtain, especially for single men, the British Embassy really need to be certain that he will return to Egypt. My partners 1st visitors visa was refused and after meeting with the embassy I was told that they are very rarely given out.
Having said that I do know females that have secured tourist visas.

Posts: 66 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Souri*
Member # 9095

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Souri*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have written a sponsorship letter confirming that he will stay with me and providing my financial details etc and confrmation of employment. I have also explained in the letter that we want him to meet my family and friends etc and see how we get on over here rather than in the situation where I am on vacation in Egypt.

I did all the paper for my friend when he came to visit me in UK. I am not even British and they gave him the visa without any problems.
When he applied for the visa it was just 1 month before the terrorist attack in London, so I guess now they may be stricter. The questions they asked him were: How did you meet your friend who live in UK? What are going to do there? Whom are you going to stay with?, expect your friend do you have any other friends there?
I also have sponsored my friend to come to France (where I come from) and it was much harder to obtain the visa than the one for UK. Usually the British are more tolerant and more flexible, when it comes to deliver visa.
So far from what I read, you have provided them with the right paper and information and I am sure that is going to be ok ISA. If you want to ask me any questions, please do not hesitate to PM me.

Good luck

Posts: 1182 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Souri*
Member # 9095

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Souri*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The are very tough to obtain, especially for single men, the British Embassy really need to be certain that he will return to Egypt. My partners 1st visitors visa was refused and after meeting with the embassy I was told that they are very rarely given out.

It must depend on a lot of factors. When we made this visa, we have asked a lot Egyptian who came to UK how they did it. Some of them were been refused straight away, and some did not have any problems like my freind. We were advised to avoid saying that I am single as if he was single too, they may have thought that he would have probably married me and would have not return to Egypt. So when I wrote the letter I wrote that he would stay with me and my family (Even though I did not have any family in UK) and that because of my good salary I could afford to take care of him if something happen. Basically I have made it sound that he will be inside a family rather than into a house with a single woman and that my wages was good enough to paid for any extra expenses he could not afford if something would have happened.

Note that my Friend has a very good job in Egypt and that at this time we were both working for the same company ( he was base in cairo and me in London) and this company has a very good reputation in Egypt, and that may have helped.

Posts: 1182 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CatTheCat
Member # 13508

Rate Member
Thanks Souri - I'm visiting him in the next couple of weeks in Egypt and will take the paperwork over with me then. I feel like a girl guide (or is it a boy scout??!) - Very prepared!! [Big Grin]
*Souri*
Member # 9095

your welcome and good luck to you cat
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Don't forget the 6 months of bank statements

--------------------

CatTheCat
Member # 13508

Rate Member
Got them all ready to go!! All seems so much for a flipping holiday! [Wink]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com