EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » What is luxury? (for you)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What is luxury? (for you)
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sei-i taishogun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-A 42 inch plasma tv is luxury to me. This is on example because there are alternatives.

-First class airline tickets are definitely because there is always economy class.

What is luxurious for you?

Posts: 2079 | From: 'by any means necessary' - Malcom X | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Business class also, five star hotels, designer clothes, expensive cars, haute cuisine restaurants, every 6 mnts a new mobile, etc... There are so many things luxuruous in life...
O, and a bawab...that is really luxury to me!

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sei-i taishogun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ehh da? kollukum aqniya (all of you are wealthy?)

come on what is luxurious for you? something you must save extra for? Something you must rob a bank for [Big Grin] ?

A nice fridge is luxury now but i won't consider it a luxury because we'll buy one eventually.

I know women love those expensive purses and i'll take any of you to a flea market and we could do a whole lot better [Big Grin]

You need the entire outfit to make the purse look good [Big Grin]

Ahahahahahahaha

Posts: 2079 | From: 'by any means necessary' - Malcom X | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doodlebug
Member # 11649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doodlebug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*weekly maid service
*nanny
*mini-van without having to worry about the gas $$
*private chef preparing meals each night
*private jet

I can think of a ton more but really none of that matters to me...except for the maid service since I hate cleaning. [Razz]

Posts: 1808 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
Originally posted by ?????:
Business class also, five star hotels, designer clothes, expensive cars, haute cuisine restaurants, every 6 mnts a new mobile, etc... There are so many things luxuruous in life...

Business class i agree
Expensive cars i agree
'haute cuisine' restaurants i dsagree because you could eat there once in a while

new mobile every 6 months is stupidity - teenage bullshit or arab middle age BS ..AHahahah

bawab translates to laziness ... walk to the souq ????? [Smile]

henita
Member # 11693

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for henita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Besides all been said,luxury can be also going on a shopping spree and buying things that you don't need but like or enjoy just for the pleasure.Examples:expensive jewelry,good perfumes and high-end cosmetics or apparel(not necessarily designer but high tagged).
Spending a week or so in a spa doing nothing but being pampered.
Having live-in maids.

Posts: 1339 | From: Om Leito | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarka
Member # 13644

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tarka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess a luxury is anything you can do without isn't it? I mean right now, a luxury for me would be a holiday, yet others see it as a necessity, a luxury COULD be a car, because there is always public transport and of course we have those dangly things on the ends of our bodies [Razz]

Quite a lot of things are luxury for me at the moment because i dont have 'spare' cash right now, take yesterday, I bought these, well, kind of crisps, exept they are vegetables dried - parsnips, beetroot etc, they are absolutely divine and they cost 99p, yes 99p. To me, right now, THEY are a luxury [Smile]

Posts: 83 | From: uk | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
henita
Member # 11693

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for henita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not having to look at the price tag when you're buying something. [Wink]

< guess a luxury is anything you can do without isn't it? >

That sums it up completly!

Posts: 1339 | From: Om Leito | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
Originally posted by Sashyra88:
Not having to look at the price tag when you're buying something. [Wink]

< guess a luxury is anything you can do without isn't it? >

That sums it up completly!

I am proud (let me brag a little) to say (and alhamdulliah)when we eat out - we usually order what we want irrespective of the price - we might talk about it later [Wink] but it is not an issue.

Simply avoid 4* and 5* restaurants [Big Grin]

It's not clothing but you know you guys look at $$ on the food menu [Big Grin]

Tarka
Member # 13644

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tarka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sobriquet - It may be time you stopped eating at McDonalds every night [Big Grin]
And for goodness sake will you let your wife look at more than the happy meal menu just for once [Big Grin]

Posts: 83 | From: uk | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
Originally posted by tarka:
Sobriquet - It may be time you stopped eating at McDonalds every night [Big Grin]
And for goodness sake will you let your wife look at more than the happy meal menu just for once [Big Grin]

[Smile]

We have an oven now so I expect some chicken tonight [Big Grin] Yayyyyyyyyyyy

We usually eat very healthy but we’ve been dependent on ordering in the past few days.

I miss basmati rice with chicken/beef/lamb [Smile]

henita
Member # 11693

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by tarka:

ROFL [Big Grin]
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sobriquet:
quote:

Business class i agree
Expensive cars i agree
'haute cuisine' restaurants i dsagree because you could eat there once in a while

new mobile every 6 months is stupidity - teenage bullshit or arab middle age BS ..AHahahah

The restaurants I disagree,when you HAVE to eat there, it`s not because of luxury, shall be business...
The bawab, I mean all the people who are working in a house, to do household jobs. In Europe only the very fortunated have people in their house 24/7. Even millionaires don`t have this usually.
There are people to do work, but not 24/7.
Like in Egypt, it is to luxury...
Not stuff where I have to save for is luxury, but the stuff what is unnecesarry, in my point of view.

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
quote:
quote:

Business class i agree
Expensive cars i agree

The restaurants I disagree,when you HAVE to eat there, it`s not because of luxury, shall be business...
The bawab, I mean all the people who are working in a house, to do household jobs. In Europe only the very fortunated have people in their house 24/7. Even millionaires don`t have this usually.
There are people to do work, but not 24/7.
Like in Egypt, it is to luxury...
Not stuff where I have to save for is luxury, but the stuff what is unnecesarry, in my point of view.

Products are a luxury in third world countries whereas service is a luxury in the west. Just out of curiosity ????? what would you choose?
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
The West. Not because of the products, but because of work, my family, my friends, my age [Wink] together this is my life. I couldn`t do the same in Egypt.
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
The West. Not because of the products, but because of work, my family, my friends, my age [Wink] together this is my life. I couldn`t do the same in Egypt.

[Smile] I meant what would you prefer choice of
products or ample services.

It was a hypothetical question your realism
obviously forbids such questions [Smile]

Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Difficult question, neither one of them should be that important to me. I`m not materialistic and I`m defenitly not lazy.

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

DawnBev
Member # 11276

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DawnBev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
luxury?

realistic: a full body massage ................

not very realistic: being able to fly to Egypt whenever I want and not worry about the cost or losing my job for too much time off

Posts: 1056 | From: UK, Middle East & Europe | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Products are a luxury in third world countries whereas service is a luxury in the west. Just out of curiosity ????? what would you choose?

I generally agree with that, but it's funny, because I would rather have products than services most of the time. I feel I can do everything myself. But I grew up without so much, to actually *get* things feels like it's my birthday.

I'm going round and round on a nice quality wool rug for the living room (I mean the reception). [Wink] Do I kick out the cash for this? (It's not even super-expensive for a carpet, just not something I've ever purchased for myself). Or is it a waste of money? Should I just get a $100 nylon remnant? I'll obsess about this until I finally buy it. [Big Grin]

But the nice thing is, I *will* appreciate it forever.

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
Originally posted by Snoozin - Bokra Fil Mish Mish:
quote:

I generally agree with that, but it's funny, because I would rather have products than services most of the time. I feel I can do everything myself. But I grew up without so much, to actually *get* things feels like it's my birthday.

I'm going round and round on a nice quality wool rug for the living room (I mean the reception). [Wink] Do I kick out the cash for this? (It's not even super-expensive for a carpet, just not something I've ever purchased for myself). Or is it a waste of money? Should I just get a $100 nylon remnant? I'll obsess about this until I finally buy it. [Big Grin]

But the nice thing is, I *will* appreciate it forever.

Get the wool rug Snoozin and what color? You do know rugs of all variety are dirt-cheap in the Middle East compared to the U.S [Big Grin]

I saw this beige/brownish wool rug that would look magnificent in the bedroom.

Solid color. I don't like fancy patterns in the bedroom. Tranqulity - serenity - and a picture of nature is fine by me

veronica ella
Member # 13434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for veronica ella   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
being in controle of my own life,no one to answere to,what more could i ask for
Posts: 126 | From: england | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I had a money no option scenario. I'd like to stay in the Burj al Arab in Dubai, just to experience how the other half live, private jet there ofcourse!
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marydotapple
Member # 13361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for marydotapple     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont really think about what money can bring or buy.To have good health and happiness is important.I value theses to things the most..But of course money helps..
Posts: 212 | From: uk | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CatTheCat
Member # 13508

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CatTheCat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More time that I have to spend with family and friends rather than being able to use it to work!!!

Oh and tickets to go to Egypt next weekend to be with my boyfriend for his birthday!!!

Posts: 69 | From: Warwickshire - UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mer
Member # 11678

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My 32" LCD with orbit discovery channel, along my habitat Sofa, AC on, Big Jug of pineapple juice with Ice, wife and kids around me.
Out side house, slow driving my Grand Marquis Mercury, with light music on and heading to Al Borj fish Restaurant.
When their, one can order the following menu,
Starter, Stuffed Crab skulls and Salads
Soup, Sea fruit soup (boneless)
Main, fried squid, grilled stuffed hamour fillet along with a pespi Max.
the main thing is to eat very slowly enjoying the situation.
When back, 20 minutes on the treadmill, and finally, one puff of double apple shisha (water pipe smoking) in my roof garden with a mint tea.

Posts: 125 | From: Egypt | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A/C in the kitchen

--------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Mer:
My 32" LCD with orbit discovery channel, along my habitat Sofa, AC on, Big Jug of pineapple juice with Ice, wife and kids around me.
Out side house, slow driving my Grand Marquis Mercury, with light music on and heading to Al Borj fish Restaurant.
When their, one can order the following menu,
Starter, Stuffed Crab skulls and Salads
Soup, Sea fruit soup (boneless)
Main, fried squid, grilled stuffed hamour fillet along with a pespi Max.
the main thing is to eat very slowly enjoying the situation.
When back, 20 minutes on the treadmill, and finally, one puff of double apple shisha (water pipe smoking) in my roof garden with a mint tea.

The restaurant where the waiters peel your shrimps and actually put them in your mouth???
I don`t like that. It is to much "class romanticising". Yek! Nearly slobbering waiters to honour their majesties...

Mer
Member # 11678

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is waiter job, I am not asking any extra..also I am asking in a polit way cos the whole situation is fantastic..
Posts: 125 | From: Egypt | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
So, that is "an extra", and actually people are paying for that? I didn`t know...
For me it is pretty sick to ask this kind of things from a waiter. It is humuliating...placing yourself above another because you pay...show power by money...

--------------------

VanillaBullshit
Member # 10873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VanillaBullshit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A real luxury would be walking around cairo and not being stared at constantly, not being approached by beggars (my mommy's sick! give me money!), not being harrassed by cops with nothing better to do than to exercise their megalomania.

--------------------

Posts: 2404 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted      Profile for SayWhatYouSee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by VanillaBullshit:
A real luxury would be walking around cairo and not being stared at constantly, not being approached by beggars (my mommy's sick! give me money!), not being harrassed by cops with nothing better to do than to exercise their megalomania.

VB, I'm curious...how do you deal with the cops?
Posts: 2953 | From: Slightly south of Azkaban. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VanillaBullshit
Member # 10873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VanillaBullshit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SayWhatYouSee:
quote:

VB, I'm curious...how do you deal with the cops?
I use invisible mode.
Posts: 2404 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted      Profile for SayWhatYouSee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, ingenious! [Big Grin] [Wink]
Posts: 2953 | From: Slightly south of Azkaban. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VanillaBullshit
Member # 10873

Seriously tho, it depends on how frustrated/bored the cops feel which will determine anyone's fate.

--------------------

eshtadiva
Member # 13742

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for eshtadiva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Luxory in Egypt? Someone to wash my windows and iron my clothes.....oh, and having McDonald's delivered along with all the other great food. lol
I would rather have services than shopping, I can shop when I go home each year or travel elsewhere...but services...ah...life is good.

Posts: 68 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

Okay I don't need the 42" Plasma anymore the new 29" Flat (regular crt) TV definitely suffices. [Smile]
We watched 8 episodes of 'Lost' back2back last night until dawn this morning and it was great.

Alhamdulliha I rather think about the 'have-nots' and not the very wealthy in such a case. Yaani the unfortunate (Somailians) and not persons residing in mansions and driving around in 500k cars.

bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Floating on an airbed in my pool, in 92 deg. weather, with a cool drink in my hand..... bliss!!!!! [Smile]
Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Seriously tho, it depends on how frustrated/bored the cops feel which will determine anyone's fate.

How do they/what do they do to harrass you? [Confused] I agree with VB, being in Cairo without being approached by 50+ people in a single morning with their hands out for money is a luxury. [Roll Eyes] I give to the first couple of people who are limbless and after that I get burnt out.

Luxury to me = one free hour of my baby sleeping to answer emails and/or exercise or shower in peace. [Big Grin]

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com