EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Athletic hobbies - care to share

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Athletic hobbies - care to share
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sei-i taishogun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What athletic hobbies do you enjoy and are you planning on taking up something new? I want something that will be a part of my life and not like a 1 or 2 week thing.

Please share your athletic hobbies.

Posts: 2079 | From: 'by any means necessary' - Malcom X | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sei-i taishogun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess I'm a fool for asking fellow ES addicts somthing that requires physical exertion. [Razz]

Well i'm thinking swimming but the membership near where i live is a rip-off, i think $150-$200 per month.

I'm also thinking cycling but they drive kind of fast and reckless around here.

Posts: 2079 | From: 'by any means necessary' - Malcom X | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I swim a few times a week at home (weather permitting). My husband and children enjoy swimming as well so it's something we do as a family. I also have a gym membership so I go there a couple times a week as well. I've been thinking about buying a bike. Biking is so much fun!
Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amon alex
Member # 12246

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amon alex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
body building 3 times a week.you gain shap and health. [Wink]
Posts: 164 | From: Egypt | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
Originally posted by Mother War:
I swim a few times a week at home (weather permitting). My husband and children enjoy swimming as well so it's something we do as a family. I also have a gym membership so I go there a couple times a week as well. I've been thinking about buying a bike. Biking is so much fun!

I think you’ll be totally set once you buy the bike and I am seriously contemplating such a purchase. Private memberships here for gyms, etc are quite exorbitant and I guess I’ll have to wait until I pay my tuition to have access to student sporting facilities.

You certainly don't play around – good for you MW.

Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What sports did you do during your life? Which did you like most, the individual sports or the teamsports? Do you like ballsports or prefer something in excercising?
Does it need to have a competition-element or do you just want to strain?
What are your strong points and weak points?
How do you move, easy and lighfooted?
Are you fast?
Are you mentally strong?

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
Originally posted by ?????:
What sports did you do during your life? Which did you like most, the individual sports or the teamsports? Do you like ballsports or prefer something in excercising?
Does it need to have a competition-element or do you just want to strain?
What are your strong points and weak points?
How do you move, easy and lighfooted?
Are you fast?
Are you mentally strong?

I just want something to do until i make some friends in my new city or until the fall. Walking a lot, cooking, watching DVDs, playing video games, drinking everything from Corona to wine to scotch is simply not doing it.

I love team sports but the options available are pretty far. I would need a car to communte back and forth from the playing fields. I don't want to commit to anything i just want to have the option to get up and do something instantaneously and perferably on a daily basis. So what do you have in mind? The only thing i could think of is cycling.

I need a damn car to enjoy all sporting options.

***Sobriquet scheming on getting a car (actually a pick-up truck *** [Big Grin] with no money [Big Grin]

young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just back from swimming
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
Originally posted by young at heart:
Just back from swimming

I bet you feel good [Smile] If you had to pick one or the other what would it be swimming or cycling?
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

Well ????? you think you could offer a viable option for such an urbanite?
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

Oh well, let me go raid the fridge, eat dinner, cuddle, watch a DVD, get some candy [Wink] , sleep and find myself a good bike-shop 2morrow.

The only option given my circumstance is a bike. I would feel indebted to anyone if they would simply recommend a light and durable bike, one that is great for steep streets.

Later

FairyDust
Member # 7138

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for FairyDust     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sobriquet:
What athletic hobbies do you enjoy and are you planning on taking up something new? I want something that will be a part of my life and not like a 1 or 2 week thing.

Please share your athletic hobbies.

Not terribly athletic (walking and throwing) but I enjoy frisbee golf or I think some call it Disc golf. My friend and I loving refer to it as frolfing (frisbee + golf).
Posts: 333 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FairyDust
Member # 7138

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for FairyDust     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oops that should have been lovingly.
Posts: 333 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
biking.

Used to do softball and basketball in high school and college.

Walking and swimming, but my eyes suck, so swimming isn't much fun anymore -- blind without glasses.

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Trollin':
biking.

Used to do softball and basketball in high school and college.

Walking and swimming, but my eyes suck, so swimming isn't much fun anymore -- blind without glasses.

Contact lenses and goggles.
Problem solved.
[Smile]

Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I just feel like a total dork wearing goggles in the ocean...I don't mind wearing them to do laps...but it's the only thing in life that makes me want to get that LASIK surgery. I'm just too chicken of elective surgery.
Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Particularly one that could leave you blind or something if it didn't go right!!
I was always afraid if I had it done that the doctor would have a heart attack while working on me, or that there would be an earthquake.

I'll stick with contacts thankyouverymuch!!

[Big Grin]

Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Well, Sobriquet, sporting is not only body-exercise, it is also a social event. Joining a certain sports means that you will meet people, making friends. So it is important that you make a right choice, the right sport with the right people. Doing sport in Egypt is different as it is in Europe, and I`m not informed enough to know all the details. I have a global view, but not more then that. And Jordan is another story...
In common, I think level and equipments are lower as they are in Europe, besides that, there is a large price-tag on it. That`s a great pity, because offering the possibility to sport can do a lot good to a society.
So, I can only advice you from my point of view and that`s not focused to your country: Distance doesn`t matter, there are busses, taxi`s, trains. Just choose a sports that suits you, and where you will feel comfortable with the people.

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DawnBev
Member # 11276

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DawnBev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my gym membership is £26 a month, that includes any of the exercise classes, swimming and sauna/steam room.

usually, I swim once a week, and do low impact aerobics twice a week. Havent actually used the gym for quite a while! Really must make an effort - but its difficult fitting everything in with work, study, raising a kid single-handedly, visiting elderly parents etc etc etc
I walk everywhere (don't have a car) so that helps, but I need to do cardio stuff and tone up some flabby bits

Posts: 1056 | From: UK, Middle East & Europe | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I guess I'm a fool for asking fellow ES addicts somthing that requires physical exertion. [Razz]

Well i'm thinking swimming but the membership near where i live is a rip-off, i think $150-$200 per month.

Wow nice thread. You should have posted this topic in the Living in Egypt section. I hardly check the dumb section.

Let's see, I "know someone" who has a swimming pool at home and uses it daily, and he and his wife look absolutely fantastic just by swimming 20 minutes a day.

I also "know someone" who was a rower. Have you tried rowing? It is one of the best sports "that someone" ever tried.

But with a busy life schedule, one can't leave the house often, and the best solution in my opinion is to have a small gym at home. I know "someone" who is totally hooked on elliptical trainers. You do 20 minutes a day, 5 days a week, and eat what you wish, and lose weight and trim up and look and feel at your best.

In fact that "someone" decided to buy a bran new elliptical trainer with a software that detects the heart rate and instructs you based on your goal, be it fat burning, muscle building, or both.

That someone also intends to buy a vibrogym thing, but is waiting to settle down before she does that. Will let you know how the someone likes it.

Nice thread. LOL.

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shebah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a nordic track which I love, even after 10 years.

We also have a basketball goal in the front yard. Every day someone is playing. We play a lot as a family too.

I got my kids "The Bean" they love it. lol [Smile]

--------------------
شكرا و أللام عليكم
شيبى

Posts: 2133 | From: Redneckland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted      Profile for SayWhatYouSee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Swimming, I have always loved and try to do every day. Where we live, a bike is a great way of getting around - and free. A bike in Cairo is a very different matter though - more of a death wish. In Luxor and in Aswan - hiring a bike is a dawdle. Walking is also free...and a hike on a sunny sunday, to take in the views where we live is paradise. When it rains and the midges are out, it's as close to hell as you can get.
Posts: 2953 | From: Slightly south of Azkaban. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
quote:

Well, Sobriquet, sporting is not only body-exercise, it is also a social event. Joining a certain sports means that you will meet people, making friends. So it is important that you make a right choice, the right sport with the right people. Doing sport in Egypt is different as it is in Europe, and I`m not informed enough to know all the details. I have a global view, but not more then that. And Jordan is another story...
In common, I think level and equipments are lower as they are in Europe, besides that, there is a large price-tag on it. That`s a great pity, because offering the possibility to sport can do a lot good to a society.
So, I can only advice you from my point of view and that`s not focused to your country: Distance doesn`t matter, there are busses, taxi`s, trains. Just choose a sports that suits you, and where you will feel comfortable with the people.

You're right my ignorance of the public transportation grid shouldn't deter me from participating in team sports. However Softball (baseball) season is over here and the only other sport I'm interested in that this particular organization offers (free) commences next winter.

Well I walked and walked today and took a dozen or so pics along the way. Walking and taking pics seems to be something that I enjoy and considering the amount of walking, it should be classified as 'athletic'. I am adamant on buying a mountain bike (thanks to research) because this city seems perfect for such a bike.

sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
Originally posted by DawnBev:
my gym membership is £26 a month, that includes any of the exercise classes, swimming and sauna/steam room.

usually, I swim once a week, and do low impact aerobics twice a week. Havent actually used the gym for quite a while! Really must make an effort - but its difficult fitting everything in with work, study, raising a kid single-handedly, visiting elderly parents etc etc etc
I walk everywhere (don't have a car) so that helps, but I need to do cardio stuff and tone up some flabby bits

What's that like $50? Please sign me up for such a membership. Unfortunately gyms/establishments that offer such services here charge ridiculous fees and some demand 6 months to 1 year in advance. It is definitely an Arab thing – I think their twisted logic is something like – well if he/she could afford to exercise then he/she must have money.

It makes me sick and I will never ever succumb to such fees or join such mentalities that patronize such premises.

Makes me sick.

sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
Originally posted by MK the Most Interlectual:
quote:

Wow nice thread. You should have posted this topic in the Living in Egypt section. I hardly check the dumb section.

Let's see, I "know someone" who has a swimming pool at home and uses it daily, and he and his wife look absolutely fantastic just by swimming 20 minutes a day.

I also "know someone" who was a rower. Have you tried rowing? It is one of the best sports "that someone" ever tried.

But with a busy life schedule, one can't leave the house often, and the best solution in my opinion is to have a small gym at home. I know "someone" who is totally hooked on elliptical trainers. You do 20 minutes a day, 5 days a week, and eat what you wish, and lose weight and trim up and look and feel at your best.

In fact that "someone" decided to buy a bran new elliptical trainer with a software that detects the heart rate and instructs you based on your goal, be it fat burning, muscle building, or both.

That someone also intends to buy a vibrogym thing, but is waiting to settle down before she does that. Will let you know how the someone likes it.

Nice thread. LOL.

I agree a home-gym is essential given the exorbitant fees charged by many of these gyms. 1 year fees could basically pay for an entire gym and insha-allah I will have such a gym.

This 'Love and Romance forum' seems kind of rahma(except the troll nonsense threads), so personally I enjoy posting here. [Smile]

Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:

You're right my ignorance of the public transportation grid shouldn't deter me from participating in team sports. However Softball (baseball) season is over here and the only other sport I'm interested in that this particular organization offers (free) commences next winter.

Well I walked and walked today and took a dozen or so pics along the way. Walking and taking pics seems to be something that I enjoy and considering the amount of walking, it should be classified as 'athletic'. I am adamant on buying a mountain bike (thanks to research) because this city seems perfect for such a bike.

Baseball is fun, I did it on high school. Also enjoyed volley, and gymnastics. The tennis came later. The big benefit about tennis is that you can play untill a relative high age, on your own level, but it is much more difficult as baseball.
Cycling also is a good exercise, but then you skip the arms-part. Try to climb up a mountain by bike, did that once, in Greece. Going up is exhausting ( really heavy!) en going down is like close your eyes and pray...that goes fast, so fast that you think by yourself: Am I going to survive this???? In the end you do, and that`s a kick! [Razz]

Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Yeah ... I remember posting some questions regarding Marathons in Egypt a while ago, hoping some fellow runner would reply.

Of course nobody ever did. [Roll Eyes] [Big Grin]

Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yorkshire rose
Member # 12072

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yorkshire rose   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wHERE IS THE BEST PLACE TO SWIM IN CAIRO, AND HOW MUCH IS IT COSTING, I LOVE WALKING AND HOPE I CAN GO TO SWIM ALOT TOO

--------------------
Alison Faragalla

Posts: 4149 | From: Egypt | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
iloveEgypt
Member # 13258

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for iloveEgypt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I LOOOOOVE Tennis!!
Posts: 48 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i love snow skiing and swimming in the summer [Smile] [Cool]
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aliym
Member # 12012

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aliym     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i love to discover sooo baad..,i really wish to discover every inch and every littile thing in this world if its possible..,espicially females..,coz i think till now there is no mystery in life till now is cloudy more than them..,and espicially later in this days i realized that every female by her self is just so cloudy mystery

i guess thats why i choose fine arts and art in genral..,i think its a discovering field for every thing in this life..,but its still not enough [Wink]

Posts: 712 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foreignluvr
Member # 5854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for foreignluvr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I enjoy walking and especially hiking. We have a great mountain in my area to hike and that does a lot to help me stay in shape and it's also a great way to relieve stress.

Sobriquet, I think biking is a great idea for your area, just watch out for the drivers as they mostly seem to only watch out for themselves. [Roll Eyes]

I can't recommend a good mountain bike but a little research should help you narrow your choices down to a few.

Trollin', have you ever seriously considered the Lasik surgery? I know quite a few people that have had that done and all of them were very happy with the results and all said they wished they would have done it sooner.

Anyway, nice topic and we should all get off our a**es from time to time as exercise is a wonderful way to help us stay healthy. [Smile]

--------------------
"And in the end, the love we take will be equal to the love we make."
~The Beatles~

Posts: 895 | From: Atlanta, GA. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com