EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Visa Disappointment (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Visa Disappointment
CatTheCat
Member # 13508

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for CatTheCat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, just found out that my boyfriend's application for a visitors visa to the UK has been rejected. Feeling really down about it because I don't know where we go from here and I think it might signal the end for us...

And the worst thing is, at times like this I miss the hugs more than ever!!! [Frown]

Posts: 69 | From: Warwickshire - UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why? Can`t he live without visiting GB? Can`t you? Can`t you both?

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cat sorry to hear that, it's a tough system but it's there for a good reason, don't take it personaly the fact is he had about a 95% chance of it being rejected but it was worth trying because at least now you know where you stand in making some very hard decisions.
Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bummer cat, can't you come to visit him? [Confused]
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CatTheCat:
Hey, just found out that my boyfriend's application for a visitors visa to the UK has been rejected. Feeling really down about it because I don't know where we go from here and I think it might signal the end for us...

And the worst thing is, at times like this I miss the hugs more than ever!!! [Frown]

CAT, he got rejected for the first time, right? Send a pm of to ES member 'akshar' - she's might able to give you hints on why it went wrong or how he's able to apply next time with more success.

Anyway, if you really really love each other, you make it work. Don't bury your head in the sand now! Remember others going through the same dilemma. Be strong, you might want to marry him in Egypt - and take it from there! Good luck! [Smile]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CatTheCat
Member # 13508

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CatTheCat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have already visited three times this year and was planning to go back later but we've been thinking more long term and if we're going to stay together he'll have to move here. I have commitments which mean I can't move to Egypt, so the idea was that he'd come for a visit and see if he thought he could make the move. We both know that we can't keep the long distance thing up much longer - it's been 18 months already. The odd week together here and there doesn't give a good indication of whether we'll work together.

We went this route because we didn't want to get married just to get him over here - if we're doing it it's got to be for real! It just feels like a decisions been made for me. Hey ho - I'll go back to my wallowing!

Posts: 69 | From: Warwickshire - UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CatTheCat
Member # 13508

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CatTheCat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks tigerlilly - akshar gave me some tips before, so I'll get back in touch with her
uklady
Member # 11161

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for uklady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't be to disheartened it is possible I will PM you!
Posts: 142 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karah_Mia
Member # 4668

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karah_Mia   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny:
Cat sorry to hear that, it's a tough system but it's there for a good reason, don't take it personaly the fact is he had about a 95% chance of it being rejected but it was worth trying because at least now you know where you stand in making some very hard decisions.

Oh no, British Embassy is turning into American??? [Eek!]
Posts: 2238 | From: Mother Earth | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by uklady:
Don't be to disheartened it is possible I will PM you!

Wonderful.

I remember we had topics on this subject here on ES before.

Here is one:

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=001527;p=1

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so sorry for your news.Things now are very difficult. My partner hoped to come to visit next year, but I know it'll probably be pointless trying. Was he given any reasons? or is it a straightforward no.
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
uklady
Member # 11161

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for uklady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The british embassy is not like the American! Penny's statement is wrong!!

Alot of it is all about getting the paperwork right and satisfying the immigration rules if you can do that....

Posts: 142 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How long did the process take? I take it once refused you can't reapply.
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
uklady
Member # 11161

Rate Member
Depends on the type of visa applied for how long it takes and whether you have a right to appeal. But the Entry clearance manager reviews all applications within 24 hours of refusal.

I hope you PM me CattheCat you still may have a chance with this sooner the better.

CatTheCat
Member # 13508

Rate Member
YAT - he went to the embassy last thursday and found out today. He didn't even get an interview because they have changed their system. He was supposed to have a decision within 3 days...

I don't think there is any right to appleal on a visitors visa, which is what we went for but he can reapply when he likes as far as I can tell. Not sure what the reasons were yet as I haven't had a chance to speak to him properly. The worrying thing is that we had what looked liked a strong application with good paperwork - feeling very deflated right now!

young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
I know you must be gutted right now, all you can do is try to be positive and hopefully things will work out for you both.
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by uklady:
The british embassy is not like the American! Penny's statement is wrong!!

Alot of it is all about getting the paperwork right and satisfying the immigration rules if you can do that....

My statement is not wrong and also the British Embassy is not acting like the American Embassy. What Cat is talking about is a 3 month visitors Visa, it has nothing to do with marriage applications or a settlement Visa.
The majority of visitors Visa applications were a woman is acting as the guarantor will get rejected, the main reason is there is now way of guaranteeing the man will return to Egypt after the visit period ends and rightfully the Embassy are suspisious of the motive for the application.

Akshar gave excellent information here when her husband was approved last year but that is an entirely different situation were a couple in a long term marriage with a business and family in Egypt can demonstrate that there is every reason the man will return after the visit.

If Cat were to marry then she would be in an entirely different situation but as she rightly says she does not want to marry just to facilitate a Visa application. She may be able to go the fiance route and maybe somebody has experience here of whether that can be sucessful or not.

It is unfortunate that they system forces people to have to make certain decisions before they may feel ready and it is totally sensible for the man to want to check out the country first before making a commitment to live there but for the reasons we all know in this world these days, that is not possible.

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mysticheart
Member # 6838

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mysticheart   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So sorry Cat, its frustrating and heartbreaking. Does uk have a fiance visa option? With this option you could help to get him there and have a little time to decide before he would either have to go back or you would have to get married.
I know America offers this visa but of course i am not at all familiar with uk ways. Here the fiance would have 3 months to live here and see what its like but must marry before the 90 days is finished.

--------------------
http://image.lafemmebonita.com/c/av879029.jpg

Posts: 2410 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CatTheCat
Member # 13508

Rate Member
There is a fiance option - we didn't go for that because we were trying to be honest (i.e. we're not engaged, so didn't want to say we were!)...unfortunately its not always the best policy! Also, we didn't like the idea of having the pressure on to marry - don't get me wrong it's something we've talked about but we're both sensible about the practicalities and how hard it will be, so we want to be as sure as we can be first.

He had good reasons for being back there in early September but it obviously wasn't enough! I realise the system is there for a reason and maybe we've fallen foul of it because we haven't played it properly! I also have my suspicions that the recent security alerts here won't be helping with the immigration policy!

At the end of that day, no-one died so I probably just need to pull myself together - stiff upper lip and all that!

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dont give up no matter what [Wink]
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shahrzaad
Member # 13580

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for shahrzaad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you need to stay the course but at the same time there comes a point when you know it is time to let go. If you are at that point I understand and would be the last to say hang on. If you need encouragement we can give that to you no matter which way you go.

I think you need to examine this relationship a little more.

Posts: 156 | From: USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CatTheCat
Member # 13508

Rate Member
I think you're right Shahrzaad - I'm off to Florida for two weeks tomorrow, so I'll have some breathing space!
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
cat the cat we welcome you to the usa
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CatTheCat
Member # 13508

Rate Member
thanks!!
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yes, you will have a marvellous time there. Enjoy your vacation! [Smile]
tinakamal
Member # 13812

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tinakamal   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
cat have u heard of the visa lottery?
it costs 50$ we just applied for my fiance it will take a while but it will have to be done before sept good luck to ya

--------------------
 -

Posts: 179 | From: iowa usa | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
visa lotterys can take up to 3 years to get. my friend was forunate to win the lottery but took him 3 years to get here.it is so much faster for a fiancee visa
doodlebug
Member # 11649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doodlebug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tinakamal:
cat have u heard of the visa lottery?
it costs 50$ we just applied for my fiance it will take a while but it will have to be done before sept good luck to ya

She's talking about a visa to the UK, not to the US.
Posts: 1808 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sawny
Member # 11224

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sawny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cat,
my partner's first visa ( a tourist ) visa was also rejected by the British Embassy, I was in constant contact with the british embassy explaining our situation and was invited over to talk to them. I was told, first hand, bu the embassy that nearly all tourist visas are rejected and not to try that route again, basically they are worried the person in question will not return. We processed a partner's visa a couple of weeks laters and it was granted, we are just about to celebrate our first wedding anniversary and are expecting a baby, a girl, next month.
Where there's a will - there's a way.
Chin up.

Posts: 66 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This was my experience of getting a visitors visa http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=001527 and Penny is right it is the probability of the return that is the biggy. The majority spoil it for genuine people like Cat, there are so many trying to get into the UK and not just from Egypt

I actually got to speak to the officer that processed his application when the embassy were doing a roadshow in Luxor and her remarks were interesting. Apparently with all that there was still doubt in her mind but she decided to give a chance. The thing that swung it for her was that my daughter was enrolled in a school in Luxor. Isn't that weird how such a little thing can make the difference and not something you would imagine.

Cat the one thing the British embassy do is give you a reason for the rejection, other Embassay's like the French don't so that might help you with a subsequent application. And my hubby was turned down the first time he applied back in 2003 when I was living in the UK. I wanted him to see where I was coming from so he would understand me better, You would have thought that was a good reason. [Frown] It was only after I moved here that we bothered to apply again.

--------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Plastic Bags
Member # 13850

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Plastic Bags     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a problem just going home to my land even though i was born there its cause who i am and my religion you see its Muslim domineering i have no problem with this but they do .Wish all good luck with visas its hard i cant get one .
Posts: 178 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Thank you dear Lord for the commas and the periods*.

*Not all the periods though, Lord*

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Plastic Bags
Member # 13850

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Plastic Bags     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just finished mine and it was a bugger when you get older no doubt you will exsperience it you will get more heavier and nasty sore bosoms but then .?
Posts: 178 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CatTheCat
Member # 13508

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for CatTheCat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all!! Guess what - he got the visa afterall!!!

I am currently on holiday in Florida but before I left I emailed the ECM at the embassy - I was obviously persuasive because within 2 days they had offered him an interview. He had the interview this morning and they gave him the visitors visa there and then!!!! Can you believe it?

I am still in shock - I can't believe the system can actually work for us mere mortals after all!!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Hey, wonderful news! How did you do that? [Wink]
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
I'm so happy for you. You must be over the moon.
CatTheCat
Member # 13508

Rate Member
After I saw the rejection notice, I emailed the embassy and pointed out that some of the reasons they had given could not have possibly been determined from looking at pieces of paper - he didn't even get an interview first time round.

I then asked what they expected to see (particularly in relation to family ties) and how we should go forward. I asked if we should get married for him to come to a country he doesn't know just to see if he liked it?!!

Next thing I knew was they had emailed to say they were giving him a 'short' interview (which was today). To be honest, I thought they were just doing it to shut me up but he obviously said the right things because he had the visa within 30 minutes of getting there!!

As someone else said, where there's a will there's a way!

I have to say a big thank you to the people who PM'd me - if it hadn't been for some of the advice I got here, I would have thrown in the towel!!

So excited!!!

CatTheCat
Member # 13508

Rate Member
YAH - as you can probably tell, I am!!!!
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
[Big Grin]
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cat, believe me someone had a good day at the Embassy and in your favor! Great! [Smile]

Wonder if this person also reads ES and was already familiar with your story? [Cool]

Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
It's just great to hear some good news for once. Many many congratulations Cat.
Plastic Bags
Member # 13850

Rate Member
quote:
Hi all!! Guess what - he got the visa afterall!!!

I am currently on holiday in Florida but before I left I emailed the ECM at the embassy - I was obviously persuasive because within 2 days they had offered him an interview. He had the interview this morning and they gave him the visitors visa there and then!!!! Can you believe it?

I am still in shock - I can't believe the system can actually work for us mere mortals after all!!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

How long he coming for ?
get_over_it
Member # 11286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for get_over_it     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great news, Cat - pleased it all worked out in the end!

Now all you've got to do is hope that the rain stops before he gets here otherwise he'll definitely change his mind about coming here long-term [Big Grin]

Enjoy the rest of your holiday [Smile]

Posts: 463 | From: Other side of nowhere | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mysticheart
Member # 6838

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mysticheart   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wonderful news dear!!!!!

--------------------
http://image.lafemmebonita.com/c/av879029.jpg

Posts: 2410 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
After I saw the rejection notice, I emailed the embassy and pointed out that some of the reasons they had given could not have possibly been determined from looking at pieces of paper - he didn't even get an interview first time round.

I then asked what they expected to see (particularly in relation to family ties) and how we should go forward. I asked if we should get married for him to come to a country he doesn't know just to see if he liked it?!!

Next thing I knew was they had emailed to say they were giving him a 'short' interview (which was today). To be honest, I thought they were just doing it to shut me up but he obviously said the right things because he had the visa within 30 minutes of getting there!!

As someone else said, where there's a will there's a way!

I have to say a big thank you to the people who PM'd me - if it hadn't been for some of the advice I got here, I would have thrown in the towel!!

So excited!!!

That is one of the advantages of the British visa on the rejection notice you get reasons and if as in this case they are incorrect you have a chance of doing something about it.

I am so pleased for you Cat, at least you have a chance of interacting together outside of Egypt and seeing if he is the one or not. And even if he isn't you will have given him a precious bit of education that will stand in in good stead,

Many many congratulations and I hope the holiday is a good one

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CatTheCat
Member # 13508

Rate Member
Thanks everyone... can we all start praying that the rain stops soon though - I don't think he has a boat!!

Plastic Bags - he'll be staying for three weeks but not sure when now, as the original plan was in a couple of weeks. Hopefully be in the UK by the end of August.

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

trababe
Member # 11777

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for trababe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
congrats cat hope you have a lovely time together just heop the weather fines up [Big Grin]
Posts: 477 | From: lancashire england | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Plastic Bags
Member # 13850

Rate Member
quote:
Thanks everyone... can we all start praying that the rain stops soon though - I don't think he has a boat!!

Plastic Bags - he'll be staying for three weeks but not sure when now, as the original plan was in a couple of weeks. Hopefully be in the UK by the end of August.

Well you have a nice time together and take each day as it comes enjoy the moment the Embassy loves Egyptians if they come and go back on time it makes life alittle more easier when you want permanent ,good luck nice hols together
Mimmi
Member # 3606

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mimmi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am happy for you Cat and for him also.
My hubby visited 3 times on tourist visa before he moved here for good.
It is good for him to see what it is like in Uk and from where you are coming.
Have a nice 3 weeks together.

Posts: 523 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
quote:

when my hubby visited last year and saw British rain he realised he had never seen rain before in his life lol

He kept telling me to slow down when I was driving and didn't want to go out. He couldn't believe it that my cousins had a barbeque in it. I told him if we stopped doing things in the UK because of rain NOTHING would ever happen [Big Grin]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com