EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Probably for Americans Only -- Project Linus

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Probably for Americans Only -- Project Linus
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When my son was admitted to the pediatric wing of the hospital last night, he received two things. A little stuffed puppy dog and an incredibly soft blanket. The blanket was made by a volunteer organization called Project Linus. I had never heard of it, but they make blankets and quilts for kids in the hospital. It may not sound like much, but it was more touching to receive that blanket than I can say, during a scary time for me -- people who sewed something for a little baby they will never meet.

Just had to share, and if any of you can sew (I can't), maybe you'd like to donate some of your time and expertise.

www.projectlinus.org

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shebah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for reminding me Snooz.

I started to do that. I like to make quilts. I think I got busy and forgot. [Frown]

Posts: 2133 | From: Redneckland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doodlebug
Member # 11649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doodlebug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is so cool and I hope he is ok!!!!

I remember when I had to bring my oldest daughter into the children's ER a couple of years ago because she had a huge stomach bug and was severely dehydrated. All of a sudden we were sitting in the exam room and this HUGE dog (I think it was a newfoundland) walked into the room with a candystriper. It was the sweetest dog in the world and made her smile from ear to ear!!! Really put us all at ease considering the situation.

Posts: 1808 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sei-i taishogun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Insha Allah 'BubbleMouth' is doing well and i guess it is a beautiful feeling knowing that some people actually care to devote their time to making other humans happy (like they did for you last night).
Posts: 2079 | From: 'by any means necessary' - Malcom X | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, guys. He is doing much better. It was *only* croup, but it was bad enough to constrict his airway a lot -- he had great difficulty breathing and I was afraid it was going to get worse. They gave him some treatments and kept him for observation, but he's out now and home sleeping. So far so good, inshallah.

His first time being sick, and man does he have to do it up big! [Eek!]

Seriously, though, the blanket was incredibly touching.

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mysticheart
Member # 6838

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mysticheart   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank goodness he is ok, its a scary thing. Many times i dealt with this between the 3 children i have. Heart goes out to you and him both.

--------------------
http://image.lafemmebonita.com/c/av879029.jpg

Posts: 2410 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ohhh my heart broke just reading this Trollin', it must have broken your heart. [Frown] I hope you can contact the organization who made it and let them know how much it meant to you and how touched you were. They probably do this job out of love and it's probably a pretty thankless job at that. [Wink]
Glad to hear your little baby is getting better, my thoughts are with you now. [Smile]

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Trollin':
When my son was admitted to the pediatric wing of the hospital last night, he received two things. A little stuffed puppy dog and an incredibly soft blanket. The blanket was made by a volunteer organization called Project Linus. I had never heard of it, but they make blankets and quilts for kids in the hospital. It may not sound like much, but it was more touching to receive that blanket than I can say, during a scary time for me -- people who sewed something for a little baby they will never meet.

Just had to share, and if any of you can sew (I can't), maybe you'd like to donate some of your time and expertise.

www.projectlinus.org

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would love to be a "blanketeer". How wonderful.

Thanks for the link Trollin.

Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know Trollin', my mother has a good friend who crochets baby blankets (made ours for the baby and it's GORGEOUS), I'm going to send her this link, she might be interested, thanks! [Smile]
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Thanks, guys. He is doing much better. It was *only* croup, but it was bad enough to constrict his airway a lot -- he had great difficulty breathing and I was afraid it was going to get worse.

He's only five months old and already catched that? Poor baby!

Welcome to childcare facilities - it will not be the first and last time that your son will bring something home like that. Good luck!

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:
quote:
Thanks, guys. He is doing much better. It was *only* croup, but it was bad enough to constrict his airway a lot -- he had great difficulty breathing and I was afraid it was going to get worse.

He's only five months old and already catched that? Poor baby!

Welcome to childcare facilities - it will not be the first and last time that your son will bring something home like that. Good luck!

Actually, he, my brother, and my five-year-old nephew caught it up at a family wedding in New Jersey, my favorite state. [Big Grin]
daria1975
Member # 6244

quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:
Ohhh my heart broke just reading this Trollin', it must have broken your heart. [Frown] I hope you can contact the organization who made it and let them know how much it meant to you and how touched you were. They probably do this job out of love and it's probably a pretty thankless job at that. [Wink]
Glad to hear your little baby is getting better, my thoughts are with you now. [Smile]

I did e-mail the local chapter of Project Linus to tell them how much I appreciated it. There is no way to really contact the specific person who made *this* blanket, but I hope the message gets through that they are a serious morale booster.
sothefccwon'tletmebeorletmebeme
Member # 13852

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sothefccwon'tletmebeorletmebeme         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
New Jersey is a pit. Garden State, my hinny!
Posts: 35 | From: Rising From The Ashes | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

quote:
Originally posted by Shebah:
Thanks for reminding me Snooz.

I started to do that. I like to make quilts. I think I got busy and forgot. [Frown]

I know it might not sound like much, but it was really nice gesture, so much so I thought about learning to sew something simple and donate myself. If you can do it, that would be a wonderful gift. [Smile]
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awwwww poor little guy [Frown] I hope he's doing better now.

My mom used to make small blankets and quilts for this organization. She injured her hand and "sewing foot" (as she calls it) so she hasn't been able to do this for a few months.

Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Salamtoo ya Snoozin. [Frown]

Just wanted to let you know that the baby's infection is airborne, which means that he could have CAUGHT it anywhere- not necessarily the daycare, as opposed to infectious diarrhea , which is spread via the fecal-oral route, meaning that some people don't wash their hands after coming in contact with their own feces, then feeding their little ones, and they are clean and tidy stay-at-home moms and all that scheisse. It's from their anus to heaven's door.

I'm very proud of you ya Snooz. You're an intelligent mother with a great career. Let the jealous ones literally eat sshit (and get hit by a bus and die, according to our friend Phoenix [Big Grin] )

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK I kill threads for a living. [Cool]

Hey Snooz why don't you post a picture of your blanket? I'm curious of how it looks like. There are no pictures on the Linus site.

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mk sent you a pm
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
^^ Roger.
Plastic Bags
Member # 13850

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Plastic Bags     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Order of the Phoenix:

What? Not nice was that . [Frown]
Posts: 178 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

quote:
Originally posted by Plastic Bags:
quote:

Yoda?
Plastic Bags
Member # 13850

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Plastic Bags     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Plastic Bags:
quote:

Yoda?
Good movie" Star Wars" got no complaints there what you call me . [Wink]
Yoda -oh-ee-dee.

Posts: 178 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

quote:
Originally posted by MK the Most Interlectual:
OK I kill threads for a living. [Cool]

Hey Snooz why don't you post a picture of your blanket? I'm curious of how it looks like. There are no pictures on the Linus site.

I will, once I find the cord to my camera. We're still living out of boxes. [Cool]
daria1975
Member # 6244

Here are some pics, not the greatest. It's just a baby blue fleece on the other side.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=4utmzyq

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=4ykhpva

seabreeze
Member # 10289

quote:
Here are some pics, not the greatest. It's just a baby blue fleece on the other side.

I was hoping to see some vomit or spit up on the blanket Trollin'. [Big Grin] At least that's what mine all look like, I'm constantly washing washing washing washing ~
[Roll Eyes]

daria1975
Member # 6244

quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:
quote:

I was hoping to see some vomit or spit up on the blanket Trollin'. [Big Grin] At least that's what mine all look like, I'm constantly washing washing washing washing ~
[Roll Eyes]

It had just been washed. [Big Grin]

I just fed boy, burped him, and still, he puked while I was changing his diaper. [Eek!]

seabreeze
Member # 10289

Lol...ahhh those sweet little gifts. [Big Grin]
Just be thankful he didn't wait to use the bathroom until you took the diaper off, mine LOVES to do this and then ((SMILES)). [Roll Eyes]
Husband now has me hissing something in Arabic at her saying 'MOO-SHA-KA!' .
[Big Grin]

cairobug
Member # 10571

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cairobug   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

www.projectlinus.org

Thanks for posting your experience--and for posting the link for some exposure. It's nice to know that sometimes these little projects that people do are well received on the other end [Smile] I had heard of them through a friend who's a now a pediatrician, and have tried something similar in Cairo. I hope your son feels better [Smile]
Posts: 483 | From: cairo | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com