EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » MARRIAGE

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: MARRIAGE
unsure
Member # 12244

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for unsure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am now in Egypt for a month vacation. All has failed with getting single affidavit notarized which I received from a lawyer in the US. My fiance and I knew about the situation with the US Embassy but tried anyway. Well now he wants to get an URFI marriage and get it registered. His brothers would be the witnesses. He talked about URFI with the family and they accepted us having the URFI since we can't go through the MOJ. I am against this. I am having second thoughts with the entire marriage situation. Yes I love him but I can't deal with every year going to visit him. He wants me to live in Egypt but I can't for at least 6 years because of my children. Thanks for listening.
Posts: 319 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shahrzaad
Member # 13580

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for shahrzaad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
in order for your papers to work you had to have them notorized in the usa by local and state govt and sealed then sent to state department and authenticated and then to egyptian embassy

It still might not work but that is what the egyptain embassy told us. We do not trust anyone. I was there in May with authenticated papers and they would not accept so I do not see what difference it would be now.

Posts: 156 | From: USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pininah
Member # 13657

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pininah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i was told by the egytpian consulate here in usa to marry in the mosque , and then come back to usa and register them here , and then i can file for his visa , that all religious ceremonies are reconized , but who knows how long it will take for his visa , but he does a job lined up here , and i have a letter of intent for his employment . so i am hoping this will work , otherwise i will live in egypt with him.

--------------------
Cheryl Hise

Posts: 68 | From: usa | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mlebev
Member # 13788

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mlebev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
why have u got to wait 6 years because of the children????
Posts: 197 | From: hertford england | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unsure
Member # 12244

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for unsure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because that is when they finish school.
Posts: 319 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
crisálida
Member # 13923

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for crisálida     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont mean to sound unsympathetic, I am curious whether people consider that it isnt going to be straightforward when they embark on a relationship with someone in another country?

It must just be one long headache for you girls, but so many women on here are entering into these relationships?

Posts: 644 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sei-i taishogun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wanderer:
I dont mean to sound unsympathetic, I am curious whether people consider that it isnt going to be straightforward when they embark on a relationship with someone in another country?

It must just be one long headache for you girls, but so many women on here are entering into these relationships?

I have a theory and I think such persons that ‘embark’ on such relationships fall into a few categories. The first category is the not so bright person(s), the ones who are definitely on the opposite spectrum of the crème of the crop with regards to intelligence. These men and women are similar to very obese persons. We all know most tremendously obese people are very kind but very gullible. They are accustomed to feeling inferior in their societies because that is reality of the situation. Such people upon finding a companion will plan logically and also act very illogically because they deem it as ‘I can’t believe it’s happening to me’. They will resort to their fanciful notions and they will endure hardships. Quite frankly men/women seeking men from alien cultures in addition to waiting several years value their time on earth as irrelevant without the missing ingredient (companion). Their options are limited; the smart women get their men and simply endure customary procedures. I think some of these women have very little worth if they let the man dictate where they live especially when they live in superior countries. If the man is going to provide for the women in Egypt and if he is paying for her air travels during the years they spend apart, then it is kosher. But if a woman will have to support the man after waiting for so long, then what would you expect for such mentalities.
Posts: 2079 | From: 'by any means necessary' - Malcom X | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sobriquet:
quote:

I have a theory and I think such persons that ‘embark’ on such relationships fall into a few categories. The first category is the not so bright person(s), the ones who are definitely on the opposite spectrum of the crème of the crop with regards to intelligence. These men and women are similar to very obese persons. We all know most tremendously obese people are very kind but very gullible. They are accustomed to feeling inferior in their societies because that is reality of the situation. Such people upon finding a companion will plan logically and also act very illogically because they deem it as ‘I can’t believe it’s happening to me’. They will resort to their fanciful notions and they will endure hardships. Quite frankly men/women seeking men from alien cultures in addition to waiting several years value their time on earth as irrelevant without the missing ingredient (companion). Their options are limited; the smart women get their men and simply endure customary procedures. I think some of these women have very little worth if they let the man dictate where they live especially when they live in superior countries. If the man is going to provide for the women in Egypt and if he is paying for her air travels during the years they spend apart, then it is kosher. But if a woman will have to support the man after waiting for so long, then what would you expect for such mentalities.
yr so very wrong
some of us want someone better someone different so what they are from another country so what i hate white men i dont like black men mexicans make me sick so i found someone who dont he just happens to be from egypt and what???
i have seen many beautiful skinny women who are in the same situations so u cant say we are all fat or mentaly unstable!!!!
it is our choice
and if someone doesnt like it then piss on them they can go to hell i really do not care!!!

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Charming as always tina.

[Wink]

Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foreignluvr
Member # 5854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for foreignluvr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

Sobriquet, I would just like to clarify a little about my relationship. All people are different and people fall in love with all kinds of different people. I am definately not obese, I am 5 ft 6 and weigh 117. I met my husband in 2004 and we just got married this year so I did not rush into anything. I did not set out with a goal in mind of finding an Arab man. We met quite by accident when I was traveling 3 yrs ago.
I can honestly say I have never met anyone quite like this man. He is so open-minded with such excellant english I sometimes forget I am talking to a Jordanian man. Yes, we are dealing with immigration now and as you may or may not know a foreign spouse may not work for 90 days when they arrive in the USA on a K-3 visa until they are issued a work permit. I am extremely fortunate that even though he won't be working at first I won't be supporting him either. He has a very lucrative business that will be sold and the money will be given to me to manage. I can't think of one single issue we have not discussed since we talk every evening for an hour. It is not the best way to have a relationship but the year we will be apart before he gets his visa is nothing compared to the years we will have together. This time apart we will always remember so we will never take each other for granted!!
Also my relationship has nothing to do with not being able to get an American man. I was married to one for less than 2 years when he died suddenly at a very young age. It just so happened that I fell in love with a Jordanian this time!!
Oh yeah and I have an above average IQ so I & people that know me don't see me as at all stupid.
One last thing, I by no means took what you said as any kind of attack on me because it doesn't apply to me but I did want to explain a little.

Posts: 895 | From: Atlanta, GA. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sei-i taishogun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tina kamal:
quote:
quote:

yr so very wrong
some of us want someone better someone different so what they are from another country so what i hate white men i dont like black men mexicans make me sick so i found someone who dont he just happens to be from egypt and what???
i have seen many beautiful skinny women who are in the same situations so u cant say we are all fat or mentaly unstable!!!!
it is our choice
and if someone doesnt like it then piss on them they can go to hell i really do not care!!!

"cant say we are all fat or mentaly unstable!!!!"

It is difficult to adequately reply to someone who has reached such an exaggerated conclusion.

Posts: 2079 | From: 'by any means necessary' - Malcom X | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
Originally posted by foreignluvr:
quote:
quote:

Sobriquet, I would just like to clarify a little about my relationship. All people are different and people fall in love with all kinds of different people. I am definately not obese, I am 5 ft 6 and weigh 117. I met my husband in 2004 and we just got married this year so I did not rush into anything. I did not set out with a goal in mind of finding an Arab man. We met quite by accident when I was traveling 3 yrs ago.
I can honestly say I have never met anyone quite like this man. He is so open-minded with such excellant english I sometimes forget I am talking to a Jordanian man. Yes, we are dealing with immigration now and as you may or may not know a foreign spouse may not work for 90 days when they arrive in the USA on a K-3 visa until they are issued a work permit. I am extremely fortunate that even though he won't be working at first I won't be supporting him either. He has a very lucrative business that will be sold and the money will be given to me to manage. I can't think of one single issue we have not discussed since we talk every evening for an hour. It is not the best way to have a relationship but the year we will be apart before he gets his visa is nothing compared to the years we will have together. This time apart we will always remember so we will never take each other for granted!!
Also my relationship has nothing to do with not being able to get an American man. I was married to one for less than 2 years when he died suddenly at a very young age. It just so happened that I fell in love with a Jordanian this time!!
Oh yeah and I have an above average IQ so I & people that know me don't see me as at all stupid.
One last thing, I by no means took what you said as any kind of attack on me because it doesn't apply to me but I did want to explain a little.

Hi foreignluvr,

I am sure you know that theories are conjectural and doubtful at best. My theory does not pertain to you and thanks for acknowledging that. The ‘obese’ analogy is just that an analogy, I could have used a different analogy but I chose that one because obese people are stigmatized by contemporary society. Stupidity is not idiosyncratic to obese people because we have our fair share of idiotic skinny people. Anyway let me get to the point:

The lesser intelligent people are not people like yourself but rather certain women who act in a certain way. Such women become like sheep and give us the ‘oh I am so in love and I need to be with my man’. And when someone mentions something they say “oh you are all jealous of me”. Tell me what is there to be jealous of? You sitting with your boyfriend smoking a shisha, overlooking the Nile, while your young children are home alone in a different time zone? These are the idiots I alluded to in my post. I am nauseated by their actions because they infringe on the rights of their children.

There are many women in Egypt living there and doing well for themselves and I admire them because it is not easy. There are many women who go there purely for fun and to get laid, and I have no problem with that. The equation changes however when you have bigger responsibilities such as children. It seems like many of these single mothers were screwed over by society and in return they are screwing over their own children. Keep reading this forum and you will see the idiocy rise again and again.

I opted to generalize because calling out certain members would be off-putting and asking for trouble. Wanderer asked a question and I tried my best to answer it. It is evident which women are smart and rational. I think you and your husband will have a great life in the US, people of the Levant assimilate much better (in general) in the west, compared to other Arabs.

Life is good
Member # 12116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Life is good         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"cant say we are all fat or mentaly unstable!!!!"

Don't worry,the fat will disappear when you move to Egypt.
Life is not easy for the majority married to Egyptians.

(If you come with ur expat husband then you will so fat and be depressed!)

[Wink]

Posts: 316 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Life is good
Member # 12116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Life is good         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sobriquet I totally agree with you. I can not imagine why a loving mother could leave her children for some fantasy.
I hope sitting in these apartments all day waiting for him to come home from work is worth it!!!!
I know that Egyptians are very much family orientated. Am sure they don't think highly of this.

Posts: 316 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Culture Club
Member # 13767

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Culture Club     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Life is good:
Sobriquet I totally agree with you. I can not imagine why a loving mother could leave her children for some fantasy.
I hope sitting in these apartments all day waiting for him to come home from work is worth it!!!!
I know that Egyptians are very much family orientated. Am sure they don't think highly of this.

Ms.Unsure, why don't you bring your children with you and stay in Egypt with their new father?
Posts: 756 | From: ...be solution... | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mimmi
Member # 3606

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mimmi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angel Heart:
quote:
Originally posted by Life is good:

Ms.Unsure, why don't you bring your children with you and stay in Egypt

with their new father?

Hey Angel,

It is not that easy with children , especially a bit older ones they have a life also , studies friends , relatives and maybe they have an"old" father also, so they would not need a "new" father.

Posts: 523 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Almaz
Member # 13525

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Almaz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A sincere wish regarding women that are unsure when it comes to relationship choices;

I wish every woman would make the move to a quality existence, and shape her behaviors and decisions based on her 'family' priorities if she has children, instead of making a move towards a self diminishing existence - if she recognizes the signs of a 'jerk' coming her way: abusive, controlling, denying her the most basic right: BEING HERSELF, etc...

An URFI marriage:

Women lose basic normal rights in this type of 'marriage', like having the children recognized by the father - and go through DNA procedures for proof in many cases if he denies them - no inheritance - no alimony in case of separation, etc...

Posts: 215 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
crisálida
Member # 13923

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for crisálida     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Sobriquet for answering, Although your responses weren't well recieved by all, I feel you are perhaps saying what others think.

I know there are genuine relationships out there but sometimes it does seem as if people are drawn to the 'romantic' idea of someone different, different culture, and get swept away by the 'exoticness' of it without considering the practical implications of all the waiting, not to mention the cultural differences that emerge when two people live together, I second what other people have said on here that egyptian/western relationships are not an easy option, because the culture is really very different, even when you love each other its hard because things come up that you wouldn't consider. Often these issues wont surface until you are living together with children, so first people have all the wait and commitment they must have for each other even before the living together issues arise?! sounds like hard work to me, do people not worry what will happen when they live together or are they just hoping it will be o.k? (practical things i mean, religion being a big one usually)

Posts: 644 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unsure
Member # 12244

Rate Member
Neither one of us are looking at having additional children. He is supporting 4 brothers and a mother. He has been doing this for 7 years since his father died. Secondly, I will not disrupt my childrens schooling. They are happy in the US with no desire to live in Egypt or leave their Dad. They are teenagers.
unsure
Member # 12244

Rate Member
Oh I forgot it was stated when and if the US Embassy lift the restrictictions, we will marry legally.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com