EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » The world's most disturbing children's book?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The world's most disturbing children's book?
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 5 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is this book for real?? [Confused]

http://dormitem.com/blog/193

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cbrbddd
Member # 3891

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cbrbddd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sounds to me like a book they use to help children that have been molested . . . maybe to encourage a child to talk about it?? and to understand what has happened.

It is rather strong and definitely not something we are used to seeing for children.

--------------------
I fell in to a burning ring of fire . . .

Posts: 895 | From: NorthTexas, USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pressure makes diamonds
Member # 14028

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pressure makes diamonds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow

--------------------
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish and you get rid of him all weekend.
-- Zenna Schaffer
Some folks are wise and some otherwise.
-- Josh Billings

Posts: 1499 | From: Dark Side of the Moon | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How horrible..... I could never imagine to read to my children this kind of stuff!!!

[Eek!]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demiana
Member # 2710

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Demiana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So now we have to assume that a child who supposedly feels gay only suffered from emotionally disturbed parents and an abusive uncle?
Silly book.

Posts: 1419 | From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Life is good
Member # 12116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Life is good         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No this book is what the world now needs.
Come on,in todays society as parents you should be telling your children that if they are touched,it is not their fault and no harm will come to them for telling you everything.
The book should also include that this is not good behaviour from his uncle and to tell his parents.
These kind of books often talk much more to children than parents do.
They have to be written correctly.

Posts: 316 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Life is good
Member # 12116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Life is good         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:
How horrible..... I could never imagine to read to my children this kind of stuff!!!

[Eek!]

Why? Do you not educate them of any dangers?
Posts: 316 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Life is good:
quote:

[Eek!]

That is not the way to educate young children. Looks to me more like it will totally screw them up. What a stupid world we live in if publishers thinks this sort of crap helps.
Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

[Eek!]

Of course I tell them not to talk to strangers and so on but I certainly would not purchase a book like that (neither they are too young to know what a gay and a psychologist is).

What I find strange was the fact that the blogger didn't give the name of the book and the author. After all he could have published it himself. You never know.....

By the way, life is good, do you have any children? And if you do, how old are they?

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Life is good
Member # 12116

Penny don't be so blinkered.
You have to educated them before someone else does and is usually shamefully a family member.
I have seen so many sad cases.
You have no idea how bad it is getting.
Children need educated made aware.

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Notes from a Literary Lad CATEGORIES
Opusculum Paedagogum
Posted 17 August, 2007 in Uncategorized |

One of the persistent complaints levelled at bloggers and their ilk, as against established journalists, is that they fail to back up their assertions with solid evidence or to put their claims into sufficient context, thus diminishing their overall credibility. One of the persistent problems with bloggers is that they continue to make this accusation so easy to level.

Case in point: the usually reliable Maud Newton. In her “Remainders” sidebar yesterday, Maud posted a snippet with the headline “Children’s book packed with anti-gay propaganda.” The entire snippet reads as follows:

“Now, I realize that I’m not gay.” A children’s book depicts a tyrannical father, needy mother, and pedophiliac uncle to scare kids straight. (Thanks, Phil.)

Posted by Maud on August 16th, 2007

The first link leads to a site called DormItem, which contains screenshots from said children’s book. The words and images are indeed offensive. The story involves a young boy who is denigrated by his father and succumbs to the sexual advances of his uncle. As an adolescent, the young man winds up in the office of a counsellor, because he fears that he is gay. The counsellor tells him that he isn’t gay and that his homosexual feelings are simply his misplaced need for his father’s love. The parents undergo counselling, the teen’s uncle breaks down in tears — whereupon the teen forgives him for molesting him — and the teen comes to the realization, quoted by Maud, that he is not in fact gay.

Nice, huh? I don’t think that too many rational adults in the world today would hesitate to condemn giving this book to children as a learning tool.

But that’s not my problem with Maud’s post.

My problem has to do with what Maud doesn’t tell you.

Let’s start with the obvious: she doesn’t tell you the name of the book or its author. This is probably because she doesn’t know. The DormItem site doesn’t include a shot of the book’s cover, so it’s impossible to tell what it’s called or who wrote it. In fact, the DormItem post ends with the poster, one Jeremy Hertz, admitting that he doesn’t own the book, but that he “just found these pictures in the vast universe we call the internet.”

So let me do Maud and Jeremy’s legwork for them.

The book is called Alfie’s Home, with text by Richard A. Cohen and illustrations by Elizabeth Sherman. Cohen is an American psychotherapist who was, as of 2005, president of Parents, Families and Friends of Ex-Gays and Gays (PFOX). According to a 2005 article in the Washington Post, Cohen “has been married for nearly 23 years — an arranged marriage that he said was suggested by the Rev. Sun Myung Moon when he and his wife were members of the Unification Church, to which they belonged for 20 years.” He is an advocate of “reparative therapy,” which posits that homosexuals are not born gay, and can be broken of their homosexuality through therapeutic treatment.

An article on the American Psychological Association’s website states that “[t]he most important fact about ‘reparative therapy,’ also known as ‘conversion’ therapy, is that it is based on an understanding of homosexuality that has been rejected by all the major health and mental professions.” An article in the online Psychiatric News states that the APA’s Board of Trustees “acknowledged that there is no evidence that these so-called ‘reparative therapies’ have any efficacy in converting someone from one sexual orientation to another.”

In 2003, the American Counseling Association “permanently expelled” Cohen for ethics violations. According to Wayne Besen, a gay-rights advocate, “Cohen’s violations … included inappropriate behavior such as fostering dependent counseling relationships, not promoting the welfare of clients, engaging in actions that sought to meet his personal needs at the expense of clients, unethically soliciting testimonials from clients and promoting products to clients in a manner that is deceptive.”

Alfie’s Home was self-published by Cohen’s International Healing Foundation in 1993, to dismal reviews. The School Library Journal opined: “Everything about this book screams fake. The illustrations are flat and garish in their simplicity, lacking any personality or appeal. If the generic illustrations aren’t a complete turnoff, the saccharine tone of the writing gives further challenge to credibility. If readers were able to ignore the presentation, there is still the message of the text to choke them.” The book’s Amazon.com page states that the item is “Currently unavailable. We don’t know when or if this item will be back in stock.” Nor is the book currently available from Amazon.ca, Chapters.Indigo.ca, or Powells.com. The Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) did mount a campaign to prevent the book from being placed in school libraries — a decade ago, in 1997.

So, to recap: The book that Maud pointed to yesterday was a) self-published, b) in 1993, by a man who c) met his wife while they were both Moonies, who d) espouses a theory that has been discredited by every major professional psychiatric association in America, and who e) was expelled from the American Counseling Association due to ethics violations.

Please be aware: I am in no way defending Cohen’s book, which I find reprehensible, nor am I suggesting that it is not a dangerous book to give to children. What does bother me, though, is that Maud treats as breaking news the presence of an anti-gay children’s book that is fourteen years old, was written by a man whose reputation and credibility have been thoroughly discredited, and is not currently available from any major online retailer. This is a non-story, but you wouldn’t know it from reading Maud’s “Remainders.”

The bottom line is this: unless and until bloggers and other online writers become more scrupulous about fact-checking and putting their (otherwise baseless) stories and assertions into some kind of context, the attacks on their own credibility will continue.

[UPDATE: Maud has revised her post, for which I thank her. And I of course agree with her that there are people out there who continue to espouse intolerant, homophobic, and otherwise frightening views, and that these views must be challenged at every opportunity. But my central point re: bloggers still stands.]

http://stevenwbeattie.com/2007/08/17/opusculum-paedagogum/

Life is good
Member # 12116

I have been the examining person!
That is enough for me to tell you that these children need education. I have seen things that made us all phyiscally sick.

Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Penny don't be so blinkered.
You have to educated them before someone else does and is usually shamefully a family member.
I have seen so many sad cases.
You have no idea how bad it is getting.
Children need educated made aware.

I am not blinkered thank you but I totally agree children need to be educated but this book is not the way to do it. You could seriously upset a child if they were introduced to so many concepts in one short book like that. You teach your children step by step about all the dangers out in the world and at the same time you teach them what to do in situations so they can cope. Prevention is better than any cure. All this book offers it that counselling will make it all better in the end. Utter crap.
Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I find more disturbing is the spelling error on page 12.
Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com