EgyptSearch Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Valuable lessons I have learned from ES (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Valuable lessons I have learned from ES
Alchemist
Member # 12318

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Alchemist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These are the things I have learned from ES, the first one was so rudely deleted with that lovely friendship thread we had going last night. [Roll Eyes]

Never argue with an idiot, because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Trolls do exist, and I'm not talking about the little dolls with green hair.

Please friends, add your own, this site is all about sharing experiences! [Big Grin] [Razz]

Posts: 1879 | From: Going to Graceland | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alchemist
Member # 12318

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alchemist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Massage me" is correctly translated as message me. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1879 | From: Going to Graceland | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VanillaBullshit
Member # 10873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VanillaBullshit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'Free-style English' is widely practiced.

--------------------

Posts: 2404 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pressure makes diamonds
Member # 14028

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pressure makes diamonds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
chinenglish [Big Grin] yeah i do write in that alot

the invisible posts
maybe you care so much about some you shouldn't

maybe you think so much about some thing doesn't exist

my little experience in here
most of people think they know it all been there done that
no one care to hear an opinion and its like freedom of speech when you are deaf so you take all you want but to the hand [Big Grin]

i think we live to learn
and life ends with your learning journey

people here also suspect there hands lol i mean if aguy have like 3 to 5 nick names and he forget one of them he might suspect that nick name is another guy or agirl hiding lol
i find it silly and funny

but ah well i met some nice people in here
and trust is some thing you gain you don't buy
amr

Posts: 1499 | From: Dark Side of the Moon | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VanillaBullshit
Member # 10873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VanillaBullshit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you start a thread looking for advice, it will turn into an orgiastic clusterfuck of ad-hominem attacks after approximately 8.36 posts, or the equivalant of Pi divided by the circumference of said posters attention span.

--------------------

Posts: 2404 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elizabethN
Member # 14096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elizabethN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
that must mean all you guys who have responded to my posts and argued about every single thing really must be idiots. All you guys like to do is put people down and argue with them.
Do you guys do the same thing with trolls that some do with gerbles?

Posts: 1369 | From: California | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only thing I've learned here that masses of women seem to be seeking...

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
of_gold
Member # 13418

Icon 1 posted      Profile for of_gold     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by VanillaBullshit:

But, be prepared to have your English critiqued by an Egyptian who thinks his English is better than a native English speaker. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 3891 | From: No good deed goes unpunished. | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If your a newcomer here, never ask for advice, cause you'll be shot down in flames and be accused of being a troll, then a cat fight will ensue, and your question will be a dark distant memory, then thread will be deleted. Welcome to ES [Big Grin]
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But I ask questions all the time and I'm not on fire yet, never been accused of being a troll, and am definitely not a distant memory [Big Grin]

Btw. what's a gerble and what do people usually do with them? [Confused]

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh newcomer, wasn't meaning you [Wink]
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
of_gold
Member # 13418

Icon 1 posted      Profile for of_gold     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by newcomer:
But I ask questions all the time and I'm not on fire yet, never been accused of being a troll, and am definitely not a distant memory [Big Grin]

Btw. what's a gerble and what do people usually do with them? [Confused]

Gerbils are little furry animals, kinda like a mouse. It is said that gay men like to put these where no gerbil wants to go.

[Eek!]

Posts: 3891 | From: No good deed goes unpunished. | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Pet shop boys [Big Grin]
elizabethN
Member # 14096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elizabethN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you young at heart you are so right.
Posts: 1369 | From: California | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by of_gold:
Gerbils are little furry animals, kinda like a mouse. It is said that gay men like to put these where no gerbil wants to go.

Perhaps I shouldn't have asked...I knew what a gerbil was, we used to have them when I was a kid..and they used to eat their babies. Just wondered if a gerble was something different!
Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Almaz.
Member # 14025

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Almaz.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've learned that at the root of all schizophrenia symptoms is psychosis: an impaired ability to distinguish between real and unreal perceptions...
[Big Grin]

Posts: 919 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VanillaBullshit
Member # 10873

quote:
quote:

But, be prepared to have your English critiqued by an Egyptian who thinks his English is better than a native English speaker. [Roll Eyes]
You're right, a lowly Egyptian is only allowed to speak Arabic, and Native English Speakers are only allowed to speak English. No other languages can possibly be mastered by either.

Damn, you schooled me. Thanks for putting me in my place [Smile]

seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alchemist:
These are the things I have learned from ES, the first one was so rudely deleted with that lovely friendship thread we had going last night. [Roll Eyes]

Never argue with an idiot, because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Trolls do exist, and I'm not talking about the little dolls with green hair.

Please friends, add your own, this site is all about sharing experiences! [Big Grin] [Razz]

*I've learned on ES that even though nobody ever gets converted in the religion section it does not stop people of different faiths from trying to take swipes at the other.

*I've learned that as soon as someone is nice to you, if they wake up on the wrong side of the bed anything you say can and will be taken out of context and you are from then on their enemy.

*I've learned that it doesn't matter who you are friends with, if someone doesn't like them - that automatically makes you an enemy.

*I've learned that if the thread is funny or entertaining in any way, it will be deleted.

*I've learned that anyone with less than 1000 posts is not to be trusted.

*I've learned that the way some Egyptian men fight is so funny the sheer immaturity of it alone is worth the price of the admission ticket.

*I've learned that some people have really messed up personal lives and it makes me feel better about my own. [Big Grin]

*I've learned that no matter what your intention is, somebody is going to take what you say personally and become defensive. I've learned to not try to explain, it doesn't matter and they won't believe you didn't really mean it 'that way'. [Big Grin]

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have learned from ES that there are a large number of women here that have a huge amount of time on their hands, the result of this is that they have nothing better to do with their time than bitch and fight on ES. They even fail to use that spare time constuctively when a new member comes asking for advice.

ES has always had the potential to be something good, but it will never happen.

The other thing I have learned is the way members on ES portray the country and people of Egypt bears little reality to the real Egypt and the majority of time the atitudes and comments are highly insulting to Egyptians and Egypt.

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VanillaBullshit
Member # 10873

quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:
*I've learned that no matter what your intention is, somebody is going to take what you say personally and become defensive. I've learned to not try to explain, it doesn't matter and they won't believe you didn't really mean it 'that way'. [Big Grin]

Biatch, what did you say??!!!!!

[Big Grin]

Let it be known that Smucky is one of the coolest people here.

VanillaBullshit
Member # 10873

Ignorance & blind hatred will always be in abundance at es.

Some people believe themselves to be superior to others and make ignorant comments that they believe makes them appear to have strength, but ultimately only reflects their sheer stupidity.

Strength is helping others become strong, weakness & lack of character leads people to attack others with no basis.

--------------------

of_gold
Member # 13418

quote:
quote:
quote:

You're right, a lowly Egyptian is only allowed to speak Arabic, and Native English Speakers are only allowed to speak English. No other languages can possibly be mastered by either.

Damn, you schooled me. Thanks for putting me in my place [Smile]

That's not what I meant but I shouldn't try to explain because Smuckers said and you think she is cool. Plus, I have fewer than 1000 post. [Frown]

PS. I hope I can master Arabic, I am in my first class. Now learning the alphabet. [Big Grin]

lovingmylife
Member # 13695

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lovingmylife     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I have learned on this board?

I learned a lot about myself.

Posts: 1039 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cairobug
Member # 10571

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cairobug   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is my first forum, so here are my reflections on it. The lessons I've learned from ES, but as Smucks pointed out--I do have less than 1000 posts (so you're still welcome to doubt my post):

1. It's not about Egypt! I thought it was about Egypt, spiced with some personal things...It's 50/50 (if you're lucky enough to not open one of those threads, until you open one by accident and find your 'name' [Confused] ).

2. Wow how can there be so many people interested in Egypt?? Where are all these people when I'm trying to get support for community outreach/charity projects/recruiting volunteers.

3. Just like I can't say 'ishtaa' despite fluency in Arabic, Egyptians who make jokes in English also or who try to sound 'down' also come off odd at times (sorry AUC alumni, and aspiring AUC ppl)--though I am fully impressed by their mastery of the language.

4. When you post, and someone disagrees with you the number of people who rate you dramatically increases.

5. I am a troll. ES has helped me realize what I am, thank you wise members (a joke, ha ha, not funny).

6. Egypt is to the UK, what the carribean is to the US.

7. People talk about things that they know nothing about, as if they do. I was really really surprised by that one (my first forum).

8. My spelling and grammer on a post that took 30 seconds, in a forum on the internet, is the measure of my intelligence, not my credentials or academic/career performance.

Posts: 483 | From: cairo | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:

Biatch, what did you say??!!!!!

[Big Grin]

Let it be known that Smucky is one of the coolest people here.

I've learned that VB is highly intelligent and anything GOOD he says about me is TRUE. [Razz]

BTW, when I said 1000 posts I meant as a friendship thing. There is some hacking that goes on from ES so I don't form friendships so easily with anyone I haven't seen on ES for a while..its nothing personal to those who have less than 1000 posts like you're bad or anything. The troll issues also comes up in this regard. [Smile]

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soozi
Member # 11108

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for soozi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:

It is better than some I've read from native English speakers.
Posts: 836 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by cairobug:
My spelling and grammer on a post that took 30 seconds, in a forum on the internet, is the measure of my intelligence, not my credentials or academic/career performance.

*Sigh*

What were those credentials for then? If there's one thing I've learnt from ES, it is the utter failure of the education systems in the UK and several places in the US.

Honest to God, ES has made me change my mind about moving to the UK. I WANT MY CHILDREN TO BE ABLE TO SPELL. GIVE ME MY CHLDREN'S SPELLING RIGHT NOW.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Everyone makes spelling and grammatical mistakes sometimes. Most of the time you can really see a lack of education (aside from mere mistakes). I think, at least in the states, that the writing and/or spelling skills of the person depends largely on the level of their education and their parents.
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Some people believe themselves to be superior to others and make ignorant comments that they believe makes them appear to have strength, but ultimately only reflects their sheer stupidity.

Strength is helping others become strong, weakness & lack of character leads people to attack others with no basis.

Sob7an Allah. Really? The thread of you and some others bullying a young lady with a long list of reasons why she's stupid (for absolutely no reason) has just been deleted!

I believe that you all owe her an apology.

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

It was deleted for reasons other than our quips, but the quips were not to make fun of her specifically, I hope she knew that. If she comes out and says she was offended I'll apologize but I hope she saw we were just being silly with each other and not necessarily making fun of her. I don't want to hurt the feelings of anyone.

OK back on topic, I have learned from ES that the only way to participate in the Ancient Egypt and Egyptology section is to have a masters degree in Egyptology, otherwise don't bother making yourself look foolish. [Smile] I can't tell you guys how many times I've given my two cents in that room only to come away feeling like I never made it past the 5th grade. [Big Grin]

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was deleted for reasons other than our quips, but the quips were not to make fun of her specifically, I hope she knew that. If she comes out and says she was offended I'll apologize but I hope she saw we were just being silly with each other and not necessarily making fun of her. I don't want to hurt the feelings of anyone.

exactly how i feel smucks we didn't make fun of her at all it wasn't about her. we were just having fun,there has to be some kind of humor on es instead of all the backstabbing and fighting. i will also say i am sorry if i offended her.but she hasn't said it did so ill wait for her to reply [Smile]

Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

quote:

An Indonesian would be unlikely to come out and say anything as direct as that.
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Well then that's her problem, not mine. See, this goes back to something I put in what I have learned from ES:

*I've learned that no matter what your intention is, somebody is going to take what you say personally and become defensive. I've learned to not try to explain, it doesn't matter and they won't believe you didn't really mean it 'that way'.

newcomer
Member # 1056

It might be nice to send her a PM about it if you would really like her not to feel offended. Sorting out something like that might be better done in private, especially with the cultural differences, because confrontation is not something that is seen as a positive characteristic in SE Asia.
seabreeze
Member # 10289

To be honest newcomer, it was never about HER and I have no idea who SHE is, that's how much it was never about her, I don't even remember the name or topic of the thread. [Confused]
OK, TO THE (APPARENTLY) INDONESIAN GIRL WHO MAY HAVE BEEN OFFENDED BY OUR QUIPS THAT NEVER CONTAINED HER NAME AND NEVER QUOTED ANYTHING SHE SAID: SORRY IF YOU TOOK OFFENSE.

Mimmi
Member # 3606

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mimmi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have learened that many Muslims are really hypocrties.
Posts: 523 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MICKY A:

exactly how i feel smucks we didn't make fun of her at all it wasn't about her. we were just having fun,there has to be some kind of humor on es instead of all the backstabbing and fighting. i will also say i am sorry if i offended her.but she hasn't said it did so ill wait for her to reply [Smile]

I see that totally differently PLUS you didn't mention yesterday that it's not all about her.

Seriously, I wouldn't be surprised if you and some others just bullied her away from this forum.

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seriously, I wouldn't be surprised if you and some others just bullied her away from this forum.

EXCUSE ME I DIDNT BULLY ANYONE.I AM NOT THAT KIND OF PERSON AND YOU KNOW THAT. what we cant even have fun here [Confused] we the supposedly BULLIES will apologize to her in private.THE END

Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soozi
Member # 11108

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for soozi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But thats the problem - anything written down can be misinterpretted (sp?), by people who speak the same language, let alone by people who don't.

I didn't see the thread in question, and I'm sure that no offense was meant by either you Micky or Smuckers, but that doesn't mean offense wasn't taken.

Posts: 836 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VanillaBullshit
Member # 10873

quote:

Let's get back on track here, if you & Smucky recall, she is in a relationship was a man that beats kids and has zero respect for women....Dalia's comments to her were 100% accurate. That's what prompted the string of snarky comments that ensued, and they were NOT meant to single her out.
Mimmi
Member # 3606

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mimmi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by soozi:
But thats the problem - anything written down can be misinterpretted (sp?), by people who speak the same language, let alone by people who don't.

I didn't see the thread in question, and I'm sure that no offense was meant by either you Micky or Smuckers, but that doesn't mean offense wasn't taken.

DID THE THREAD HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH EGYPT??
THERE ARE SO MANY UNESSARY THREADS ON THIS BOARD WITH NO CONNECTION TO EGYPT.
THIS BOARD SHOULD BE ABOUT EGYPT.

Posts: 523 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Let's get back on track here, if you & Smucky recall, she is in a relationship was a man that beats kids and has zero respect for women....Dalia's comments to her were 100% accurate. That's what prompted the string of snarky comments that ensued, and they were NOT meant to single her out.

Well I get your point and it's a good fact that you and others seem to care about possible problems in her relationship. But if you wanna talk some sense into her - it needs to be approached totally differently.
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

There is no rule that says every thread must be egypt-related...sorry. If you don't like it, don't read it and move on to the thread Egypt-related you DO like....
of_gold
Member # 13418

quote:

So true....I guess everyone falls short of this ideal...I know I do.
SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted      Profile for SayWhatYouSee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh get a grip, Tigersilly. Micky is now a bully? [Roll Eyes] I keep hearing of the mysterious people who have been driven away from ES but the reality is that they are all still here - masked by new identities and taking cowardly pot shots at more honest members.

People are more likely to be put off this forum by your relentless spamming and cut and paste drivel. Seventy percent of what you post (last time I looked) doesn't even attract a single reply. That's zippo, zero, nowt. [Roll Eyes] When you do manage a few original sentences it comes out as sickly, saccharine sanctimonious spew. Newbies here soon see through you. I did. [Razz]

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

exactly how i feel smucks we didn't make fun of her at all it wasn't about her. we were just having fun,there has to be some kind of humor on es instead of all the backstabbing and fighting. i will also say i am sorry if i offended her.but she hasn't said it did so ill wait for her to reply
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I see that totally differently PLUS you didn't mention yesterday that it's not all about her.

Posts: 2953 | From: Slightly south of Azkaban. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VanillaBullshit
Member # 10873

My initial comment is what spawned the rest, if she took offense I'll apologize to her, no problem.

quote:
I agree, she could have taken it that way.

--------------------

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Mimmi:

Hei Mimmi, look I just think that not everything on this forum can be about Egypt. To solve the problem - at least as you see it - would be an extra section like general talk. But we don't have this option here and sometimes it's just nice and also very informative to post and discuss other topics.

Have a nice day! [Smile]

of_gold
Member # 13418

quote:

So true....I guess everyone falls short of this ideal...I know I do.
soozi
Member # 11108

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Mimmi:
quote:
Originally posted by soozi:

I have no idea - as I said, I didn't see the thread!
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
so to sum this up smucks, vb , and i are now bullies NOT!!!!!!!! and i will speak for us . we are sorry if we hurt your feelings , we didn't do it towards you at all. i hope you will accept this as a formal apology,we are sorry. and this is meant from the heart. [Smile]
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com