EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » 8 Tips on How to Get Out of Bed even When You Don’t Want To

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 8 Tips on How to Get Out of Bed even When You Don’t Want To
Undercover
Member # 12979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Undercover     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
8 Tips on How to Get Out of Bed even When You Don’t Want To

Although there are those lucky few who wake up bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, ready to rocket out of bed and start their day, most people need a little bit of help taking those first few steps at the start of a new day.

If you are one of those people, read this list of 8 tips on how to get out of bed and you'll be amazed at how much actual control you have over those first few minutes of consciousness when you first wake up.

1) Give yourself a mental command before you go to sleep.

This can take whatever form you like, but it would go something like this:

"I will wake up at 5:00am and get out of bed immediately."

Seem simplistic? It is, which is why it is so effective. By implanting a mental command into your head before you go to sleep, you prepare yourself to be mentally alert the moment that you wake up. I have successfully used this technique for getting up to catch flights or to go on early morning road trips on less than 2 hours of sleep - without even using an alarm clock.

2) Think of your one definite burning desire as soon as you wake up.

As Napoleon Hill alludes to in the book 'Think and Grow Rich', your one definite purpose in life should be something that you desire so greatly that it is the actual driving force behind everything that you do.

Even if you do not think of yourself as being "on a mission" to accomplish great things in life, you are on a mission to do something, either for yourself or for other people.

In either case, however, you can't do it while you are asleep, so think of that one definite burning desire as soon as you wake up, and remind yourself that sleeping in will not get you closer to that goal.

3) Smile.

Yes, it seems silly. How can a smile help get you out of bed?

For starters, you need to think of something to smile about. Think of something that you are grateful for in your life, and actually physically smile when you think of it.

You can't just think happy thoughts - that won't do it. You will be amazed at how much the physical act of smiling will bring your mind into focus on your life, and also start to shake off the cobwebs of sleep.

This has the added bonus of energetically setting yourself up to attract even more things to be grateful for, so you get two perks for the price of one by simply smiling like you mean it!

4) Think of your "want to do" list.

Everyone has tasks they feel that they need to do each day, but in the grand scheme of things, you don't "need" to do anything. Every single task that you accomplish in life is based on the fact that you want something.

You get up and go to work because you want a paycheck. You get up and exercise because you want to be healthy, lose weight, or accomplish a fitness goal. You get up and help your family get ready for the day because you want them to be happy, or because it benefits you in some way to send them on their way.

By thinking of how you will benefit from accomplishing your tasks, you not only make the entire process about your own desires, but you will also start your day with a positive attitude, rather than feeling like someone who is simply slaving away at life for the benefit of other people.

5) Think of the benefits that come from getting up and getting your day started.

If you have a morning ritual that you enjoy or that brings an immediate benefit to you - and only you - think about how it will feel to get up and start enjoying that benefit.

For me, my day starts around 5:15am, and includes 30 minutes of total quiet time with a cup of coffee and an enjoyable assessment of my personal and business accomplishments from the previous day. That 30-minute session is followed immediately by a total mind/body prosperity session while I run or briskly walk outdoors for 60 minutes.

That entire 90-minute period is all about me, and rarely do I even interact with another human being accept for the occasional run in with a fellow early morning exerciser. By the time I am back home by 7:00am, I feel like a million bucks and I am fully energized to focus 100% on another day of personal and business accomplishments.

6) Plan your first "reward".

Other than the personal benefits that you get from accomplishing that first task or two after waking up, plan the first reward that you will give yourself for staying on track with your sleep schedule.

I am a firm believer in people "giving back" to themselves after accomplishing goals or tasks, so as you are laying in bed trying to motivate yourself to get up, plan the first reward that you will get as a result of rolling out of bed and getting your day started.

Maybe it is a mid-morning or afternoon nap, maybe it is a pleasant lunch with a friend or family member, or it could be something as simple as an hour of "play time" that you give yourself to do whatever you want to do. Make sure you stick to your integrity by not allowing yourself to have that reward unless you get out of bed on schedule!

7) Make a commitment to other people a part of your morning routine.

If you have other members of your household who are counting on you to be up and focused by a certain time of day, that can help motivate you to get up and do exactly that.

No one likes to feel like they let someone else down, and on that some note, most people like to feel wanted or needed. By making commitments to others that you can only accomplish by getting out of bed on time, you will be motivated to do exactly that.

Caveat: Remember, though - it is imperative that you do things for other people because you want to. If it starts to feel like a chore, or that it is expected of you, it will actually have the opposite effect, causing you to feel like a worker, rather than a trusted friend, family member, or co-worker.

8) Put yourself on a schedule that is non-negotiable.

Depending on what your morning routine is, there are very likely things that need to be done during a certain time frame, or it will cause stress or negativity in your life or in the lives of others. By locking your tasks into a certain block of time, you remove the luxury of possibly allowing yourself to sleep in.

Again, using my early morning cardiovascular routine as an example, I have no choice but to do that within a very specific window of time. Summertime in northeast Florida means that the sun is fully up and blazing by 7:15am, and it is already 75-degrees (or more!) and very humid as well. If I am not pounding the pavement by 6:15am at the latest, I will not have 60 minutes to exercise before the sun becomes a debilitating factor.

If you use this method of putting yourself on a schedule, make sure once again that you keep the right frame of mind. You put yourself on that schedule because of something that you wanted, not something that you had to do.

Let me close this piece about how to get out of bed by saying that I love to sleep! I could sleep for 8 hours a night and still be perfectly happy to take a 2-hour nap every day. Sleep is wonderful and is something that I both enjoy and endorse.

However, my love for sleep is overshadowed by my burning desire to accomplish both my physical fitness goals, as well as my personal and business goals. I only point that out because I want you, dear reader, to know that this list was not written by some robot who only needs 4 hours of sleep per night.

I get my butt out of bed early in the morning because I have goals to accomplish. If you are having trouble getting up each day, maybe you should think about whether or not your desires in life are actually strong enough to launch you out of bed and into action!

Posts: 3188 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cairobug
Member # 10571

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cairobug   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what to do when all of these don't help...

--------------------
Disclaimer: My posts are not meant to personally offend anyone. If you find yourself reading my posts repeatedly, you are kindly asked to seek the help of a professional [Smile]

Posts: 483 | From: cairo | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desertgirl
Member # 12450

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Desertgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cairobug:
what to do when all of these don't help...

Just stay in bed then [Wink] [Wink] .
Posts: 2932 | From: Just now and then | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mlebev
Member # 13788

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mlebev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
get a alarm clock and a tip up bed lol
Posts: 197 | From: hertford england | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am such a robot in the morning. The alarm-clock rings and up I am knowing that the children have to be taken to school. Sometimes I think I'll go back to bed for a little again when I dropped them off but by then I am wild awake ready to do things.
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cairobug
Member # 10571

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cairobug   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'm with you desertgirl, just stay in bed. and mlebev and tl--i'm jealous...i hate getting out of bed. i see this moonbeam alarmclock thing in the LL bean catalogue and all i think is, if it doesn't have a beam of laser that zaps me, i don't think it will help.

--------------------
Disclaimer: My posts are not meant to personally offend anyone. If you find yourself reading my posts repeatedly, you are kindly asked to seek the help of a professional [Smile]

Posts: 483 | From: cairo | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
M_A_Z_E_N
Member # 14409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for M_A_Z_E_N   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If someone woke me up at 6am and made me choose between us$ 1,000,000 or sleeping, i will definitely choose sleeping over the money.
But i have to wake up early for work everyday@7am, it's something i do automatically. I feel like a robot thou, wake up then take a shower then get dressed then drive to work.
It's every-day's routine

--------------------
!!!!!!!!

Posts: 90 | From: ! | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Man that you fear:
If someone woke me up at 6am and made me choose between us$ 1,000,000 or sleeping, i will definitely choose sleeping over the money.

Are you sure about that? [Wink]
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
egyptian7
Member # 12215

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for egyptian7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i almost crying when the alarm rings , i have lots of sleeping disorders i hope that it be solved soon

--------------------
islam

Posts: 2447 | From: cairo | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana uhibbuk
Member # 11817

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ana uhibbuk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love It Undercover................. Thanks for the motivation tips... I totally agree on the mental command before bed.. I do it all the time and it works.. Love the weekends when I put that mental command "alarm" off.......Thanks again.. Very helpful.
Posts: 50 | From: New York City, USA | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com